test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How Do Your Attacks Go/Build In Battle?

jerrockojerrocko Member Posts: 197 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Library
In PvE play, most times, I start with Chill Strike (and Entangling Force) on the biggest guy so it bounces off enemies around him but is sure to keep him frozen and off of me, and then I Fan the Flames for smolder so that I can chill for Rimefire, and then try to keep that going on as many as possible. When the enemies are few enough, I play around with flame powers, but only when it won't kill me to free them up from chill.

In parties, I tool up Ray of Enfeeblement for the BIG bosses, and keep RofE and CS with me for when little bosses come after me.

For class features, I use control and freeze/chill powers going longer and stronger.

So, en toto, I'm a big cold power wiz, the same as in all games. I just love that stop-freeze, chill/slow down power so much, DPS means little if I'm being clobbered vs. less damage but under no threat of attack from a controlled monster. Esp. since in battle we can only do one potion at a time, which I don't understand…how is it different from non-battle? Drinking time should be the same, as restoration time is. Just a pet peeve, but one that counts as a wizard who can't take much damage (which is kind of dumb too, no reason why we shouldn't be able to wear armor and be a battle mage…)

There's my basics power-uses. What about anyone else?
:cool:
Jerrocko,
Leader of the Packs
Post edited by jerrocko on

Comments

• Options
    ladove2ladove2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Encounters: CoI (tabbed), steal time, icy terrain, sudden storm. this most of time, even Boss fights that have lot of adds, else...
    Single boss type fights: RoE (tabbed), icy rays, chill strike, CoI.

Oppressive force and ice knife for dailies.
    MM and storm pillar for at wills.
    storm spell and eye of storm class features.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ladove2 wrote: »
    Encounters: CoI (tabbed), steal time, icy terrain, sudden storm. this most of time, even Boss fights that have lot of adds, else...
    Single boss type fights: RoE (tabbed), icy rays, chill strike, CoI.

Oppressive force and ice knife for dailies.
    MM and storm pillar for at wills.
    storm spell and eye of storm class features.

But what order do you use them in battles…?
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    ladove2ladove2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    'Boss' set up have a rotation: RoE, RoE, CoI, Chill Strike, Icy Ray, Storm Pillar -> repeat; ice knife as it is available.
    Mob fights are too chaotic to have a cast order. Cast whatever seems best, except i think it always good to use CoI before Icy Terrain whenever possible. Some mobs need 1 hit, some 2, some just need a DoT and will die from it; so... whatever experience says is good enough. generally, if Steal Time is ready, i'd probably use that 1st against trash mobs near to me; CoI, or at wills, for far away ones.

Larger mobs, that i know can be CC'ed, I'd aim for CoI -> Icy Terrain... if needed, steal time to hold them in IT enough to freeze then SS; else, SS 1st and then steal time (to prolong CC).
    If steal time can be used lastly, i can usually start cycle again without pausing, or even have time to put down a storm pillar before repeating.

Large mobs i know can't be CC'ed: whatever... depends if I have aggro or not, position, who else is attacking them, from where, etc.

if lot of mobs are around, OF for daily; else Ice Knife.

Definitely not locked into a rotation though. Need to be flexible and go with the flow of the battle.
  • Options
    archsinner81archsinner81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited October 2014
    My opening for single big target
    Storm Pillar>COI>ROE> Ice Knife or Icy Ray..> Whatever skill i have left. All the while holding down ROF
    For Multi Target (hardly use it now)
    Rush in Icy terrain>OF> Steal Time> Entangling on tab > Sudden Storm
    If group kill to fast
    Rush in OF> steal time> and spam whatever spell you got Chill strike on tab etc

A Cw with totally no CC skill in the slots is a bad 1
    Steal Time is almost always 1 to have in PVE - minus single target boss fight
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My opening for single big target
    Storm Pillar>COI>ROE> Ice Knife or Icy Ray..> Whatever skill i have left. All the while holding down ROF
    For Multi Target (hardly use it now)
    Rush in Icy terrain>OF> Steal Time> Entangling on tab > Sudden Storm
    If group kill to fast
    Rush in OF> steal time> and spam whatever spell you got Chill strike on tab etc

A Cw with totally no CC skill in the slots is a bad 1
    Steal Time is almost always 1 to have in PVE - minus single target boss fight

I don't use CC, I prefer the others you list above more. CC doesn't freeze, and that's my go-to, the good old RofF.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    wbfoley100wbfoley100 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I almost always run with chill strike and steal time for HV stacks. I will switch out icy terrain, coi, icy rays, roe, or shield depending on the fight. My normal load out for trash is icy terrain on tab, coi, steal time, chill strike usually.
  • Options
    archsinner81archsinner81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited October 2014
    jerrocko wrote: »
    I don't use CC, I prefer the others you list above more. CC doesn't freeze, and that's my go-to, the good old RofF.

Hmm might have read me wrong.
    CC is crowd control not chilling cloud
    Lots of CW when i run with on my other chars(Pugging) in SOT , i hardly see any form of Crowd control and they die very fast due to mobs running rampage. Every other classes specially SW and HR, love a CW that keep a mob group bunch up and frozen
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Usually open with ice ray(on tab), then tele in for a steal time and icy terrain and finish off with sudden storm. On the boss fights i usually go with Coi and Roe instead of steal time and icy terrain, since this helps the Group the most and can be fired off from a distance. On some bosses(like epic shores) i switch out sudden storm with shield. The rotation on bosses is just fire off anything that is up:)
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I keep CoI on tab, Icy Terrain, Steal Time and Shard of Endless Avalanche in solo or team play. I open with Shard, then use CoI and Icy Terrain for the chills and then Steal Time. This rotation keeps mobs things inert for the most part. With Critical Conflagration you can pretty much keep Smolder on if you have a decent crit rate, and all you have to worry about is to keep stacks of Chill up for the Rimfire. The other class feature I use is Swatch of Destruction for stronger Smolder. I use Ice Knife and Oppressive Force as dailies. On single target bosses I put RoE on tab, Ice Rays, CoI, Fanning the Flame and Chill Strike. If there are adds, I keep Steal time and Icy Terrain instead of Chill Strike and Fanning the Flame. I have very high Recovery and use the Cleric artifact in the primary slot so I can spam dailies and encounters frequently enough to keep mobs CCed and the Smolder/Rimfire on all the time.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hmm might have read me wrong.
    CC is crowd control not chilling cloud
    Lots of CW when i run with on my other chars(Pugging) in SOT , i hardly see any form of Crowd control and they die very fast due to mobs running rampage. Every other classes specially SW and HR, love a CW that keep a mob group bunch up and frozen

I did read that wrong. ;)
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I switch stuff up all the time.

When I solo, I use CS on tab. It will kill most trash groups. If not, i finish them with ST.

In dungeons I use CS, CoI, EF or SS in tab. It depends on the dungeon, my party, and my mood. I have OF and either sing or IK as dailies. I always have RoF and either MM or CC as at wills.

My rotations depend on the room and who gets in it first.

Pre-mod4 I would Sing, drop a shard, ST as they go up, then tabbed CS and SS, throwing the shard at the best time. If anything was left, I'd freeze with RoF and MM until my encounters came back up.

Now it's very different.
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In realms where most foes are not immuned to EF:
    Tabbed EF comes first, then Steal time. No need of a third or fourth spell, the foes are dead.

In realms with heavy foes who won't be EF-ed
    CoI tabbed comes first, then Icy Terrain, two steps backwards, Steal time. No need of a fourth spell, the foes are dead.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Good day:

My loadout varies based on solo/group and context. For example, during SoT, I generally run with CoI on tab, RoE, Shard, and Icy Rays (the latter helps me with AP gain more so than not) with chilling cloud and storm; daily with ice knife and OF. While I read the comments about control, I found this load out gives me a lot of maneuverability which I've found to be helpful. I concentrate on taking out those mobs that can kill the fastest such as the green arrow guys or the rage drakes; come the boss, I'm already set up single target. For the main part of VT (up until right before Valindra), I'm running CoI on tab, ST, Sudden Storm, and IT with the same daily's and at-will powers mentioned above. Then switch to a single target load out (no shard) for Valindra herself. Other load outs (including those with entangle -- tabbed or not) vary based on the dungeon, group, party requests, and so on.

Thank you.
  • Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Keep in mind that I am an oppressor and use the Tier 1 Archmage set (salvaged HV set when I saw what Archmage can do).

PVE - Entangling Force/Chill Strike (Mastery), Sudden Storm, Icy Terrain, Steal Time.
    PVP - Steal Time (Mastery), Chill Strike, Entangling Force, Icy Terrain.

My rotation in pve looks like this:
    Entangling force, Ice Terrain, Sudden Storm, Steal Time, Icy Terrain, Entangling Force, Daily under whatever it is, is dead. Same idea for PVP. I get a daily for about every 10-12 second rotation. Usually use Maelstrom of Chaos.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    I switch stuff up all the time.

When I solo, I use CS on tab. It will kill most trash groups. If not, i finish them with ST.

In dungeons I use CS, CoI, EF or SS in tab. It depends on the dungeon, my party, and my mood. I have OF and either sing or IK as dailies. I always have RoF and either MM or CC as at wills.

My rotations depend on the room and who gets in it first.

Pre-mod4 I would Sing, drop a shard, ST as they go up, then tabbed CS and SS, throwing the shard at the best time. If anything was left, I'd freeze with RoF and MM until my encounters came back up.

Now it's very different.

I've jumped into battle first too many times, and then all the monsters focus on me as the main threat and mob me. ;) I've got to be more patient and not do the first battle damage and in parties, use my Shield. No matter what I do with 'movement,' I can't get away from attacks and get overwhelmed quickly, tho some of that is lag which is irritating. You catch up just to find you've been killed, ha ha, that's a "grrr" for sure.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    nazghul22 wrote: »
    In realms where most foes are not immuned to EF:
    Tabbed EF comes first, then Steal time. No need of a third or fourth spell, the foes are dead.

In realms with heavy foes who won't be EF-ed
    CoI tabbed comes first, then Icy Terrain, two steps backwards, Steal time. No need of a fourth spell, the foes are dead.

Man, all these acronyms, ha ha...now what does EF stand for again? Now I have to go look. Entangling Force, ha ha. But that only does one enemy at a time, so how does that kill them all? I like ST, but it's so slow to cast. I usually cast it AS the enemies are coming at me before they get to me if I can. If it wasn't such a good spell, I'd drop it for more freezes/chills.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    umcjdking wrote: »
    Keep in mind that I am an oppressor and use the Tier 1 Archmage set (salvaged HV set when I saw what Archmage can do).

PVE - Entangling Force/Chill Strike (Mastery), Sudden Storm, Icy Terrain, Steal Time.
    PVP - Steal Time (Mastery), Chill Strike, Entangling Force, Icy Terrain.

My rotation in pve looks like this:
    Entangling force, Ice Terrain, Sudden Storm, Steal Time, Icy Terrain, Entangling Force, Daily under whatever it is, is dead. Same idea for PVP. I get a daily for about every 10-12 second rotation. Usually use Maelstrom of Chaos.

I like to fire off a Ray of Chill at the most-dangerous enemy first, and though I like EF, I've gotten away from it since there are larger groups to fight off it seems now. Plus, EF doesn't seem to get as many foes as it did before, meaning more and more I see 'immune' to it now.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs