test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Key Binding an Emote?

refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
:)

Is it possible to bind an emote to a key?

There are only a few I ever use and if they were key-bound I could use them much more quickly when the occasion arises.

Like, when a boss appears in a Skirmish, I like to make a video of my character dancing the two-step right in front of him. Well, it makes ME laugh! ;)

Also, can you bind special keys like F1, F2 etc?

Cheers!
Post edited by refracted0dawn on

Comments

• rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes you can.

Basically you can type this into the chat box:

/bind [KEY] emote [EMOTE]

You can also use 'emotenotext' so it doesn't spam the chat with 'Your Character does Emote" when you hit it. So to bind a silent twostep dance to F1:

/bind F1 emotenotext dancetwostep

I use a keybound 'emotenotext sit' to sit down when trolls keep making me stand while I'm RPing.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh, that is fantastic! Thank you SO much! :D

Shame you can't shake your fist to Taunt someone and say "Grrr! Ya Big Lunk!" at the same time. That would work so well on my Halfling sisters.

Although, my Dwarf did head butt the Merchant of Waukeen after spending a pile of special coins and getting some accursed Golden Pantaloons!

"Get ye thieving wee <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> back to Baldur's Gate, ye cheating wee basterd shyster as ye are!" :mad: (Head Butt Smack!!)

The last time I tried to work this out (a few months back) I was told it was impossible.

But where do you find the codes for the different emotes etc? Is there a web link you could post?

I have text files in a Keybind folder in ...Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\Keybinds, so that I can zoom in and out with my Mouse Wheel to FOV 20 and out to FOV 130; very useful for seeing more of what is around you. So I have 0 bound to:

/bind 0 "gfxsetdefaultfov 65 $$ bind_load_file keybinds\fov65.txt"

And one of my characters has his Cloak of Lesser Etherealness bound to 9.

Print Screen I use for screenshots and F12 I use for recording a video.

So I only have 8 and F1 to F11 left, and I do not know if any of those will have any Windows functions in-game, or if they are used by the game itself. So I'll have to take care.

But the game just got a whole new level of fun! :)

Cheers, and thanks again!

:D

PS can you do this for binding Encounters, or would that be cheating? I don't want to do anything bannable.
    edited October 2014
    I just found this:

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Console_command

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Emotes

Is that everything?

I suppose you canott juggle unless you have the juggling emote as a prize from that event?

~
  • lostyuslostyus Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2014

...And one of my characters has his Cloak of Lesser Etherealness bound to 9...

Is it possible to equip things by a keybind?

I'd really love to keybind my shield (to equip/unequip it) because of the terrible clipping a shield and cape have.

I'd also like to be able to use more than 3 Encounter Powers :D but that hasn't been answered :(
    edited October 2014
    lostyus wrote: »
    Is it possible to equip things by a keybind?

I'd really love to keybind my shield (to equip/unequip it) because of the terrible clipping a shield and cape have.

I'd also like to be able to use more than 3 Encounter Powers :D but that hasn't been answered :(

No idea, for sure, I'm afraid.

I tend to adventure in my fashion gear, as it looks so much nicer than the Armours I have. So I only see my weapons in combat. Same with my GF - I only see her shield when I swing a sword or go into Block mode.

It works with the Cloak of Lesser Etherealness, which does not get actually equipped, so you do not "wear" it. It gets "activated" like a re-usable magick item by double-clicking on it in inventory, or by using a keybind. But double-clicking on a shield WOULD equip it, so maybe it will work by key binding as well.

Don't know if you can Unequip like this, but you can always put your shield away manually after a battle, for role-playing "realism"! ;)

You could try it if you know the specific name of the shield. If not, you could try the generic method:
    [EDIT: This will NOT work for normal gear items like weapons, armour, jewellery etc which you have to EQUIP to WEAR them.

It DOES work to ACTIVATE re-usable Magick items like Pocket Pets, Cloaks of Lesser Etherealness, Golden Thrones and other items which you can access from an Inventory Belt Slot in the Interface, like Artifact and Potion slots (normally bound to 3, 4, 5, 6).

It will also work for items that cannot be slotted into your "Utility Bat Belt", like the Cloak.

It MAY work for Consumable Magick Items, like Potions and Scrolls. I have not tested yet.]

Specific Name
    To bind to Key 9

In [SAY] Chat Channel, type:

"/bind 9 PowerExec 1 Item_Wondrous_Cloak_Etherealness_T04b"

(include the quote marks, " ")

Hit Return.

So that could be:

"/bind 9 PowerExec 1 <specific name for your shield>

Generic Method
    This works by binding an item in a specific inventory slot.

The first bag you have (Adventurer's Satchel? Backpack?) is usually on the top for most people. The slots are numbered 0 to 29, from top left to bottom right.

So, put the shield in the first slot in the top bag and:

Generic Method Steps
    To Bind to Key 9

In [SAY] Chat Channel, type:

"/bind 9 inventoryexec 1 inventory 0"

(include the quote marks, " ")

Hit Return.

Then, when you press 9 in-game, it will equip your shield; IF it works.

You could also use 8, 0 or F1 to F11.

I am not sure if you have to ALWAYS then have the shield in slot 0 for it to work, but the bindings usually persist between sessions and are character-specific.

I am pretty sure it's not possible to bind any Encounter powers. That would be SO cheating, as it would be like having Infinite Recovery and you could use almost every Encounter you have by binding to F1 to F11.

I think there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if anyone did that in PvP, and possibly some account bans to follow! ;)

Good luck, and please let us know if it works!

~
    edited October 2014

Don't know if you can Unequip like this, but you can always put your shield away manually after a battle, for role-playing "realism"! ;)

It just occurred to me that there may be another function for Unequip, maybe something like inventoryexec 2?

I'll check those links. You might have to use two keys then, say 9 to Equip, 8 to Unequip. IF it can be done at all.

;)
    edited October 2014
    No idea, for sure, I'm afraid.

I tend to adventure in my fashion gear, as it looks so much nicer than the Armours I have. So I only see my weapons in combat. Same with my GF - I only see her shield when I swing a sword or go into Block mode.

It works with the Cloak of Lesser Eterealness, which does not get actually equipped, so you do not "wear" it. It gets "activated" like a re-usable magick item by double-clicking on it in inventory, or by using a keybind. But double-clicking on a shield WOULD equip it, so maybe it will work by key binding as well.

Don't know if you can Unequip like this, but you can always put your shield away manually after a battle, for role-playing "realism"!

You could try it if you know the specific name of the shield. If not, you could try the generic method:

Specific Name
    To bind to Key 9, In Chat Channel, type:

"/bind 9 PowerExec 1 Item_Wondrous_Cloak_Etherealness_T04b"

Hit Return.

So that could be:

"/bind 9 PowerExec 1 <specific name for your shield>

Generic Method
    This works by binding an item in a specific inventory slot.

The first bag you have (Adventurer's Satchel? Backpack?) is usually on the top for most people. The slots are numbered 0 to 29, from top left to bottom right.

So, put the shield in the first slot in the top bag and, in Chat Channel, type

Hit Return.

Then, when you type "9", it will equip your shield; IF it works. You could also use 8, 0 or F1 to F12, I suppose.

I am not sure if you have to ALWAYS then have the shield in slot 0 for it to work, but the bindings usually persist between sessions and are character-specific.

I am pretty sure it's not possible to bind any Encounter powers. That would be SO cheating, as it would be like having Infinite Recovery and you could use almost every Encounter you have using F1 to F11. I think there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if anyone did that in PvP, and possibly some account bans to follow! ;)

Good luck, and please let us know if it works!

~

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all that to me :)

I wasn't sure if the cloak was an item or not but thought I'd ask anyway, I'm glad I did now :)

I'll give what you mentioned a try (the generic method) as I normally put my shield in slot 1 anyway, so it's easy to equip and also so I don't sell it by mistake. Also I've transmuted the shield so wouldn't be sure of the name anyway.

As to your second post, I really wouldn't mind using two buttons as I used to use 3 in Dragon's Prophet (change to the 2 handed sword, then change back to the 1 handed sword to unequip). I'd bind it on 6 and 7 so I'd only have to slide my fingers across the buttons quickly, but then I'd need to have a different button to equip the shield.

Yeah I was just pushing my luck asking about the encounters lol ;) It's just... there's 1 more skill I want... cause it looks cool lol.
    edited October 2014
    I tried what you mentioned, but it didn't work, copied and pasted it but it isn't even coming up with an error message. (/bind 9 inventoryexec 1 inventory 0)
    edited October 2014
    That's a shame. Sorry for falsely getting your hopes up. :(

I think it's because the Cloak of Lesser Etherealness is a magick item that does not equip, it gets activated.

So the code inventoryexec 1 must just execute the first power of the item in that inventory slot - so it would work with items like the Pocket Pet or Golden Throne, maybe consumables like potions, scrolls etc.

I could not find any code that sounds like equipping an item. But, as is often the case, what is in the programmer's mind when he names codes and what they suggest they do to the programming illiterati are not always the same.

Maybe someone else will know?

:(
    edited October 2014
    That's a shame. Sorry for falsely getting your hopes up. :(

I think it's because the Cloak of Lesser Etherealness is a magick item that does not equip, it gets activated.

So the code inventoryexec 1 must just execute the first power of the item in that inventory slot - so it would work with items like the Pocket Pet or Golden Throne, maybe consumables like potions, scrolls etc.

I could not find any code that sounds like equipping an item. But, as is often the case, what is in the programmer's mind when he names codes and what they suggest they do to the programming illiterati are not always the same.

Maybe someone else will know?

:(

Don't worry about it, I appreciate that you took time to explain it so well in the preview post anyway :)

I'll still find a use for the keybind, so it's not a total waste lol :)
    edited October 2014
    I'll edit my post so it does not mislead other people.

At least it works for Emotes and non-Gear Items that you do not equip/wear!

;)