test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Level 60 GF needs help with the DPS

scuttydscuttyd Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited October 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hi all,
I have been playing my GF for a while now and recently re-rolled him as a dragon born and decided to try a new build that is swordmaster with the protector paragon. Well, I am just not geared for that build nor do I frequent dungeons where I believe it would be viable.
Can someone tell me or point me to a build that will allow me to run my dailies with good dps?
I have a few black ice pieces and DR and Shar pieces but nothing that is a set. Also I just unlocked my artifact weapon.
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well I would go Iron Vanguard (sorry!) because of threatening rush + frontline surge.
    Threatening rush de-buffs, so you can hit harder.
    FLS is a very good encounter because it can hit up to 5 NPC's.
    Lunging strike has a REALLY short cooldown, plus it does nice damage.
    Anvil of doom. Look at my signature.

However, you could run swordmaster with weaponmasters strike + crushing surge. WMS for its wide range plus debuff, and crushing surge for damage. It is not uncommon to hit 10k crits with CS.
    I'm not sure about the encounters here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2014
    Hello,

as a protector swordmaster, a good way to do dailies is (in my opinion) :

~~ multi-target ~~

- at-will : weapon master strike (large aoe + double hit mean double proc from enchant + glyph (try red dragon x2) + other effects)
    - encounter : into the fray + enforced threat + lunging strike
    - class feature : steel blitz + guarded assault (could be hard to maintain without proper stuff, safe way is : steel defense + guarded assault)
    - daily : Villain's menace
    - gear : 8% life steal or normal/perfect lifedrinker enchant or both, 18% damages resist ignored

- how to : use into the fray, lunging strike in order to go into the pack, then enforced treath. During cooldown, alternate weapon master strike and aggravating strike, guarded assault on elite hits will do good job.
    When you got full of action point, use villain's menace after into the fray and spam WMS and encoutner.
    if your gear allow you to perma WMS, use steel blitz + combat superiority, if your gear can just perform aggravating strike, use steel defence + guarded assault.

TIPS : don't fear taunt (with tab) more than one pack, i can clean 5 pack on a map as same time as i need for 2 one by one.

~~ one target ~~

same with another encounter set : knight challenge (or ITF if not available) + knee breaker + anvil of doom
    Steel blitz will not help you here
    I have not try it but maybe flourish + red dragon glyph can do good job

Hope i have help you, don't forget to give us your feedback
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Dps is all about your stats and encounters. Iron vanguard or swordmaster is also really just down to your personal style and favorite skills.

For dps stats get around 3-4k power with around 2k arm pen and 1-2k crit base, of course these stats will improve based on your items and gs as you get better.

For solo I would say use:

Crushing surge and tide of iron for at-wills. Crushing surge is the best single target dps at-will and tide can gain your guard back and debuff the enemy.

Then for encounters:

Lunging strike: Fastest cooldown, decent dmg and builds much ap when used on mobs.

Anvil of doom: Highest dps single target skill

and the other could be any of either: flourish, griffons wrath or enforced threat. Find what suits you best or for the situation.

Dailys should be villains menace for dps and fighters recovery for survival incase you need it. Then class features should be combat superiority and steel blitz. Steel blitz goes well with aoe attacks like villains menace and enforced threat.

Also a high STR helps with dps.

My build/guide is below, it might have some ideas for you.

Good luck :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2014
    @crixus8000 : i guess OP is tank with protector build and ask how to do solo content (like dailies) as fast as possible. He don't want a new build for just dps.
  • scuttydscuttyd Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    runonnike wrote: »
    Well I would go Iron Vanguard (sorry!) because of threatening rush + frontline surge.
    Threatening rush de-buffs, so you can hit harder.
    FLS is a very good encounter because it can hit up to 5 NPC's.
    Lunging strike has a REALLY short cooldown, plus it does nice damage.
    Anvil of doom. Look at my signature.

However, you could run swordmaster with weaponmasters strike + crushing surge. WMS for its wide range plus debuff, and crushing surge for damage. It is not uncommon to hit 10k crits with CS.
    I'm not sure about the encounters here.

Wow that is some great damage from Anvil of Doom! I had an Iron Vanguard spec before Mod 4 but I never did damage like that, probably due to my inexperience with builds.
    Thanks for the info.
    edited October 2014
    Hello,

as a protector swordmaster, a good way to do dailies is (in my opinion) :

~~ multi-target ~~

- at-will : weapon master strike (large aoe + double hit mean double proc from enchant + glyph (try red dragon x2) + other effects)
    - encounter : into the fray + enforced threat + lunging strike
    - class feature : steel blitz + guarded assault (could be hard to maintain without proper stuff, safe way is : steel defense + guarded assault)
    - daily : Villain's menace
    - gear : 8% life steal or normal/perfect lifedrinker enchant or both, 18% damages resist ignored

- how to : use into the fray, lunging strike in order to go into the pack, then enforced treath. During cooldown, alternate weapon master strike and aggravating strike, guarded assault on elite hits will do good job.
    When you got full of action point, use villain's menace after into the fray and spam WMS and encoutner.
    if your gear allow you to perma WMS, use steel blitz + combat superiority, if your gear can just perform aggravating strike, use steel defence + guarded assault.

TIPS : don't fear taunt (with tab) more than one pack, i can clean 5 pack on a map as same time as i need for 2 one by one.

~~ one target ~~

same with another encounter set : knight challenge (or ITF if not available) + knee breaker + anvil of doom
    Steel blitz will not help you here
    I have not try it but maybe flourish + red dragon glyph can do good job

Hope i have help you, don't forget to give us your feedback

This indeed helps me. I will put this to the test later this evening.
    edited October 2014
    Hi Crixus,
    Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure I used your build to base mine on. I have 4k power 1.4k crit but only 1.3k ArP. 22Str and 27Con.

After reading these replies, I have the feeling that I'm just not doing something right.
    @crixus8000 : i guess OP is tank with protector build and ask how to do solo content (like dailies) as fast as possible. He don't want a new build for just dps.

Exactly! but I am probably a horrible tank :D
    edited October 2014

That's why I posted the best skills for dps. And my builds isn't just dps at all, its a balance of dps and survivability but i thought there might be some tips there :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    scuttyd wrote: »
    Hi Crixus,
    Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure I used your build to base mine on. I have 4k power 1.4k crit but only 1.3k ArP. 22Str and 27Con.

After reading these replies, I have the feeling that I'm just not doing something right.

Exactly! but I am probably a horrible tank :D

Well if your a protector you will have lower dmg than a conq by quite a bit but with the right skill set up you should still be able to solo content fine and at a decent speed :)

May I ask what set you are using, and weapon enchant ?

Edit: Most gf have almost exactly the same dps as each other since the path will be very similar for everyone and you rarly see a gf with over 5k power. The only time a gf has crazy dps is when they are pvp specced and go for STR belt with high crit chance and vorpal then they will have way higher than average but without that your dps wont be that much different from any other gf.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Most of small things can be dropped with LS/Anvil/Griffon. Point, click, destroy.

As IV i can play different playstyle vs IWD/Dragon annoying trash mobs - Threatening Rush/Lunge Strike/Frontline Surge/Bull Charge.

For burning IWD idol fast, Knight Challenge/Anvil/Knee Breaker works better to me, in general all pve missions i do with this setup. Same applicable to glorious "kill all 5 dragons" content.

KB is excels for fat mobs/bosses >100k HP.
    Knee Breaker can be resisted, but by rarely.
    The higher first strike for KB, the better overall results. Kb alone is bad, with KC only it is average at best.
    Stack of multiple buffs/debufs on target before application of KB makes a good outcome.
    Villiian Menace/Knight Challenge/Mark/Tide of Iron -> Knee Breaker -> now say cheese :)
    Knee Breaker allows to have last dot tick going over 100k (In my case - 5k power/1.5k pen/1.8k crit - r7/r8 and lesser flaming/terror).

For contrast, KC-Anvil crit of 160k (archieved with TH set, 16k gs, tactician) needs hp condition met on target and multiple buffs including HG. Average KC-buffed damage i get solo from Anvil is only 30k-40k.

For dungeons when 2 encounters slotted with KV/ITF, Knee Breaker is applicable as well.

1) ITF+Mark+Tide -> Knee Breaker -> Figher Recovery : deal damage + receive healing ticks, that produces real 5k-20k hp ticks in my case.
    2) Short and sure starting animation. Kick and forget.
    3) Without Fighter Recovery, damage potential of KB ability allows to heal with lifesteal to degree unlike anything else GF has.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)