test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shores of Tuern - Garakas

wick220wick220 Member Posts: 40
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So what's this guy's deal? Most times I never die against him, but once in a while I get one-shot by his little "Spray" move (the one that doesn't have a red warning field). What's up with that? How do I avoid the one-shot when there is no warning? I'm starting to think it hits you harder the farther away you are...?

I've searched and searched for tutorials/guides to no avail.

Someone please enlighten me.
Post edited by wick220 on

Comments

• Options
    luxarkluxark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Its pretty easy to say when he is using it. Just get ready to dodge it after every other move. Usually he is using his other two before he uses his "spray" once. Sometimes he uses his spray between every other move.
    You can actually pretty easily dodge it if you just run sideways as soon as he starts the animation. It is probaly harder the farther you stay away since the area gets larger. But since iam usually staying close to him iam not sure about that.
    Also he usually hits the tank with it, so it should not be a big deal for everyone else.
  • Options
    baron335baron335 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wick220 wrote: »

He has three main attacks that he rotates.

First one is a ranged circle attack. Before he casts this one he will throw his hand in the air. It puts a red circle on the ground and a range can dodge it.

His second attack is the one you are talking about and that one is a force push in front of him. You can tell right before he does it and you can dodge/block it for less or no damage.

The third attack is a long cone shaped attack that gives you a chance to recover life from the second attack. You can drink potions etc during this time. It is easy to dodge to the side.

The easiest way I have found to fight him is starting out with a GF or Ranger(melee) going straight to Grakas and everyone else on adds. When the adds are down the ranger/gf faces him away from the group and you have one caster alittle farther from the group. He will rotate his abilities 95% of the time in order. As long as the GF/ranger doesn't drop aggro all the other dps can sit behind him and just damage him without ever having to move more then slightly left or right. The problem comes when you have a person that spins him during his attacks and his force push attack hits the dps.

If you watch his hands you can see what attack he is going to do but the order is normally Hand in the air attack(red marker), close range melee force push(no marker), then cone(red marker). If you have to tank him save any dodges/potions for after the melee force push, you have time to heal then. If you do it this way he really is a piece of cake. I have duo'd him down multiple times after a semi group wipe. Once with me tanking with my gwf and the cw dpsing, the other time a ranger was tanking and I was dpsing with my gwf. Goodluck
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ahhh, I never really paid much attention to what HE was actually doing - I mainly just avoided the red spots.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    baron335 wrote: »
    He has three main attacks that he rotates.

First one is a ranged circle attack. Before he casts this one he will throw his hand in the air. It puts a red circle on the ground and a range can dodge it.

His second attack is the one you are talking about and that one is a force push in front of him. You can tell right before he does it and you can dodge/block it for less or no damage.

The third attack is a long cone shaped attack that gives you a chance to recover life from the second attack. You can drink potions etc during this time. It is easy to dodge to the side.

The easiest way I have found to fight him is starting out with a GF or Ranger(melee) going straight to Grakas and everyone else on adds. When the adds are down the ranger/gf faces him away from the group and you have one caster alittle farther from the group. He will rotate his abilities 95% of the time in order. As long as the GF/ranger doesn't drop aggro all the other dps can sit behind him and just damage him without ever having to move more then slightly left or right. The problem comes when you have a person that spins him during his attacks and his force push attack hits the dps.

If you watch his hands you can see what attack he is going to do but the order is normally Hand in the air attack(red marker), close range melee force push(no marker), then cone(red marker). If you have to tank him save any dodges/potions for after the melee force push, you have time to heal then. If you do it this way he really is a piece of cake. I have duo'd him down multiple times after a semi group wipe. Once with me tanking with my gwf and the cw dpsing, the other time a ranger was tanking and I was dpsing with my gwf. Goodluck

And now I know why I got kicked last night from a really good PuG eShore group. I was spinning that guy like a top.

I are bad CW.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Basically what you need to know is what Baron said.

He has three attacks. His rotation is Breath, Bomb and the killing glitter.

If there's no one at long range, he'll use the killing glitter twice after the breath of fire. Otherwise, he'll use the Bomb at the ranged guy right after he uses the breath. The thing is that the breath and the bomb have cooldowns, and the killing glitter is just like a melee attack (or it's cooldown is very low); he will use the breath and the bomb right after they get out of cooldown.

If you alternate between having a guy in ranged distance and not, his cooldowns will get wonky and sometimes it'll be hard to know what he's about to use, because sometimes he won't use the bomb. That's the main problem with pugs, and that's why I always maintain ranged distance when I go alone on queue.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    Basically what you need to know is what Baron said.

He has three attacks. His rotation is Breath, Bomb and the killing glitter.

If there's no one at long range, he'll use the killing glitter twice after the breath of fire. Otherwise, he'll use the Bomb at the ranged guy right after he uses the breath. The thing is that the breath and the bomb have cooldowns, and the killing glitter is just like a melee attack (or it's cooldown is very low); he will use the breath and the bomb right after they get out of cooldown.

If you alternate between having a guy in ranged distance and not, his cooldowns will get wonky and sometimes it'll be hard to know what he's about to use, because sometimes he won't use the bomb. That's the main problem with pugs, and that's why I always maintain ranged distance when I go alone on queue.

Alright, it's making much more sense now. When I play tonight I will maintain a ranged distance and watch the rotation. I might have to get an Owl too so I don't grab aggro.

Thanks a bunch for your help, guys.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wick220 wrote: »
    So what's this guy's deal? Most times I never die against him, but once in a while I get one-shot by his little "Spray" move (the one that doesn't have a red warning field). What's up with that? How do I avoid the one-shot when there is no warning? I'm starting to think it hits you harder the farther away you are...?

I've searched and searched for tutorials/guides to no avail.

There are two easy solution for this :

Tactic 1: All go close to the boss as closest they can get even ranged classes so the boss will not use aoe firaballs but he we do 300-200k Dmg to the top Hater.

Tactic 2: Dont kill dragons tank must draw the two dragons from boss and the boss will not deal dmg they biggest skill will deal max 30-20 k.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    There are two easy solution for this :

Tactic 1: All go close to the boss as closest they can get even ranged classes so the boss will not use aoe firaballs but he we do 300-200k Dmg to the top Hater.

Tactic 2: Dont kill dragons tank must draw the two dragons from boss and the boss will not deal dmg they biggest skill will deal max 30-20 k.

Both are excellent advice. If you hug, you don't get red circles in the way. If you have some clueless pugger floating around at mid-range, you'll get red circles burning you to death near the boss, though.

I'm not sure what schweifer1982means by "he we do 300-200k Dmg to the top Hater", though- my Warlock usually sits top on threat, and doesn't get one-shotted.. it's more like 30k spikes. She can't eat two in a row, but one is no problem, as long as no-one is causing red circles around the boss, as you can get behind him and pot/stone up.
  • Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »

I'm not sure what schweifer1982means by "he we do 300-200k Dmg to the top Hater", though- my Warlock usually sits top on threat, and doesn't get one-shotted.. it's more like 30k spikes.

I am GF,i get 140-160k all the time from red aoe cone.
    80k from non marked hands attack.
    if he crits get ready for 241k damage from hands alone.(saw it on my log in the campfire :P )

When he crits?The longer the fight ,that means low dps on the team ,more crits from Garakas:At that point , probability of getting one shotted is getting awfully close.

You probably burn him fast and he did not critted on you.
    That is what i said in another thread that as concerning damage alone ,no adds etc Garakas in epic Sot is probably the boss that has the higher dps in the game.
    Non marked very hard powers,marked deadly one shoting powers and all these in really close intervals.max time 4-5 secs.
    Valindra is a joke compared to him :P
  • Options
    thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Worst thing in garakas fight is when you have DC or CW or Archer HR that stays in the middle on not close enough length. This makes red circles closer so when my HR dodges this other 2 attacks - i hit red zone and it can melt me.

Best advice - stay behind him very very close. And let HR or GF to dodge rotate him. I pretty much use one way rotation all the time. Or if there are some reds - clockwise and back.
    Sometimes you have a good CW or DC that stay very long and keep bombs away. But this not so often happens. So keep CW in melee works better for team.

His does spray attack 80% or time after red cone. So be ready to dodge. As HR i also fire Fox Cunning right after cone attack. This gives me and team free dodge of next attack.

Had never seen 2nd Tactic that schweifer1982 is talking about.

Edit: Done this guy multiple time in single after group wipes due to red circles.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    thedemien wrote: »
    Had never seen 2nd Tactic that schweifer1982 is talking about.

I did it a grand total of once, after someone mentioned it here, it works nicely. However, getting groups to co-operate/read party chat is more challenging than doing the fight the "hard" way.
  • Options
    blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    there is several ways to kill him, killing the drakes is always a good way imo. No charge attacks = no random deaths for squishy TR/ Hr/ CW's.

without tanks:
    1) 1 person in range so he gets the fireballs to dodge - reason. Less of those 1 shot knives, ranged person must be ready to dodge and make sure boss is never facing HIM/HER. If this is your highest dps (usually is without a tank) he/she has to dodge (ie can't be a sw in range) when the boss faces him after he does cone attack - give it a second for him to ready and you better dodge or you'll die.

2) all are melee and all run around the boss after he does his cone attack making sure noone is facing him, he'll knife the air - he'll do this twice then you can dps while he's breathing fire in his cone.

with a tank all you need to do really is get behind him, 1 has to be in range so the tank doesn't eat 2 knife throws (he should dodge the cone that is marked by just side stepping it because you'll die otherwise eventually). Any gf with 50% mitagation and a decent deflect can survive this with his shield up at all times unless he knows 100% a knife throw isn't coming to use a power to taunt / rebuild stamina so he can block more.

never have a failed boss with that strategy. Getting people to understand red is bad (ie most gwf's) is another story.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    without tanks:
    1) 1 person in range so he gets the fireballs to dodge - reason. Less of those 1 shot knives, ranged person must be ready to dodge and make sure boss is never facing HIM/HER. If this is your highest dps (usually is without a tank) he/she has to dodge (ie can't be a sw in range) when the boss faces him after he does cone attack - give it a second for him to ready and you better dodge or you'll die.

I frequently end up with boss aggro on my SW. Usually it's fine :)
  • Options
    blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    I frequently end up with boss aggro on my SW. Usually it's fine :)

indeed i have seen SW's handle aggro, they usually go to melee most of the time as its easier for them to spin around have not seen one tank it in range though.