test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A good armor set for Dc after module 5?

ren047ren047 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User
edited October 2014 in The Temple
Hello. I have a DC and i want a little advice about armor sets. Right now i use Beacon of Faith and have a spare Miracle Healer and Prophet Champion in my bank. And i don't have and don't want to have High Prophet.
Considering future changes to DC i ask you more veterans than me what set will be most recommended for Mod 5. I don't have immediate desire to acquire Draconic and i am considering reinforcement kits.
Post edited by ren047 on

Comments

• godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    What is your reason to not wanting high prophet?

I suspect most veterans will still be using HP set for PvE purposes. No current set bonus beats HP's
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the profound sets might be nice with the divinity consumption
    i am not sure but miracle healer might get boost with no cool down on divinity encounters
    corrupted black ice have great stat and without healing step its the best movement boost you can get
    draconic have lots of crit, and with the overload it can be nice dps set

at the end i don't see big difference (but i have feeling that profound might be a big hit :) )
  • r10999r10999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's not what he is saying. And it's definitely not because everyone uses it. HP is good because it has a nice debuff that you can hit enemies with, especially bosses to increase your parties damage significantly.
    HP's 4 set bonus is one of the best for clerics because people don't need us for healing. They need us for buffs and debuffs. We make the dungeon go faster and HP is currently the best armor for doing such.
    If you don't want HP then I would recommend grabbing two 2set bonuses and just increasing your stats overall because most of the 4 set bonuses aren't worthwhile in any way.
  • ez55119ez55119 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wow... over react much? The gent was merely asking why you would want anything else, as a debuffing DC is currently and will most likely remain the staple for PVE game play. With the current state of the game, most instances I run are 4-dps and a knights valor GF or a HP debuffing DC. There is very little need for a pure or dedicated healer in most cases.
    r10999 wrote: »
    That's not what he is saying. And it's definitely not because everyone uses it. HP is good because it has a nice debuff that you can hit enemies with, especially bosses to increase your parties damage significantly.
    HP's 4 set bonus is one of the best for clerics because people don't need us for healing. They need us for buffs and debuffs. We make the dungeon go faster and HP is currently the best armor for doing such.
    If you don't want HP then I would recommend grabbing two 2set bonuses and just increasing your stats overall because most of the 4 set bonuses aren't worthwhile in any way.

^^ I couldn't have replied any better.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've read all the replies, none of them seem very relevant.

DIRECTLY TO OP:

I am anxiously awaiting Mod 5 changes, too. I also have a few Amor sets waiting in the bank and have no interest in the MH set. I cannot proclaim it's the best set, but my plan is already laid in motion, just awaiting the (Suspected: Early December) release of Mod Mod 5.

I already have my Moon Elf at the ready (completed Tutorial and Rags-to-Riches, but nothing else. I plan to run this one through the Divine Oracle paragon, Righteous path. In the end I have a neatly-pressed and folded Prophet Champion set already sized-up and tailored to fit.

As for this whole business of "BiS" Vorpal, Plaguefire, Miracle Healer Armor and "ZOMG You MUST use THIS THING like EVERYONE ELSE" is a bunch of claptrap nonsense. I have and love my Greater Frost and Frostburn enchantments, Fireburst is a lot of fun, too and I can name several others. My main DC is using a full set of Draconic Armor because I actually like the 4-Piece bonus.

Play for the fun of you, tahell with the rest. :)

TL;DR: I plan to go DO/Righteous with a Prophet Champion set.
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think the best armor sets will probably be the black ice sets. The reason for this is simply because they give more survive-ability in all situations, and that is really all that matters. If you don't die, you can continue to help out your party, if you die, you are a liability.

Healing power just isn't that important, other players have been forced to learn to play without enough healing, and they have adapted. The best you can do is bring buffs and debuffs for you teammates, and these are gear independent.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As others have said, HP will probably remain the set of choice for DCs for high-end PvE group content, but as far as solo playing is concerned, several other sets might be better - and of course, for PvP purposes, you need something else.

I am, however, looking at the new set that will be introduced in Module 5 - it is a debuffing set, which might actually be useful during PvE boss fights - by reducing the crit% and crit severity, the DC may be able to reduce the chance of damage spikes one-shotting team members....also, the general stats of that set are significantly higher than for HP.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • raist724raist724 Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2014
    No good DC uses HP. Most just read Kaelec guide and believed it as law, which is fine for some. Those that sweat the details or play min/max or in PvP do their homework. None of the DC I see knocking it out of the box are wearing HP. Many mixed sets and some full draconic is the current rage. Huge health pools with some deflect is a good start. There is no perfect right way to build a gear set for a DC with so many different play styles, and PvP requires atleast 2 setups. With Mod 5 coming there is no real way to prepare your gear now. Going to have to wait and see.
    diogene0 wrote: »
    High prophet is completely useless outside of boss fights in what you call "high end parties". The damage buffs make you save what, 2s on an encounter? 3, maybe? NPCs die so fast high prophet and damage buffs are mostly irrelevant. What most high GS people enjoy doing is staying in red to keep casting. So you're here for mitigation not damage increase.

The only good reason to use high prophet is to please your friends because they think you're awesome when they crit for 150k on a dying mob even though a 30k hit would have killed it anyway.
    Wake | Halfling | DC
    Raist Torilrocker | Dwarf | DCWaterdeep Dungeon & Salvage LLC
    http://www.twitch.tv/raist718/profile
  • baalhashmalbaalhashmal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    raist724 wrote: »
    No good DC uses HP. Most just read Kaelec guide and believed it as law, which is fine for some. Those that sweat the details or play min/max or in PvP do their homework. None of the DC I see knocking it out of the box are wearing HP. Many mixed sets and some full draconic is the current rage. Huge health pools with some deflect is a good start. There is no perfect right way to build a gear set for a DC with so many different play styles, and PvP requires atleast 2 setups. With Mod 5 coming there is no real way to prepare your gear now. Going to have to wait and see.

Two generalizations have been made.

"No good DC uses HP," & "What most high GS people enjoy doing is staying in red to keep casting."

Clearly, these statements are not true and shouldn't be taken seriously as DC's require far more than just the set to determine how "good" they are.

I use HP (and have been long before Kaelac's guide) along with a GPF set to assist in maximizing party damage while still providing excellent mitigation via encounters such as Astral Shield, Divine Armor/Hallowed Ground and Forgemaster's Flame.

I would still use HP moving forward into the new module as none of the other current sets are appealing. Although, Adinosii mentioned that the new set seems plausible.

Now back to the OP:

What are you trying to do, persay?Are you surviving well in solo/party content? Are you keeping your party members alive? What areas would you like to improve?

Answering these may assist in singling out the right set for you.

Cleric: Marquis Elmdore - Current Main <3
    Wizard: Iamblichus
    Fighter: Anna the Titan
    Barbarian: Anann Valkyrja
    Ranger: Minerva Cory'phaia
    Warlock: Suri Coralyne Reid

Guild: She Looked Level 18.
    Alliance: Imperium
  • raritieraritie Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Draconic Templar armor won't bring something new to my cleric's gear because it's another tanky style gear as well as BI set. They give us more power in HoTs and dmg, so my cleric is getting rather back-line 'mage' or 'warlock', but wearing a medium class armor, than front-line 'warrior' or 'tank'. So for runs in skilled, solid, overgeared groups I'll prefer HP T1 along with plague fire as debuffer. PUGs are often requiered more healing, so I'll take Profound or Draconic (situational) as it now. And for DD role I think Dread Legion still the best choice and nothing would change for me.

:)
    edited October 2014
    Are you saying i am an idiot for not wanting high prophet? Just because everyone uses it?
    I am merely asking you what is it that make you not want to use high prophet. Why are you so offended by that?

You said what other's opinion for dc set in mod 5. So i said coming mod 5, people will still use high prophet (for PvE group play ofc, for solo stuff, you can practically go with just blue gears and you can still beat the content)..

Here is why :
    1. Divine Sunburst is more spammable than before.. spreading HP debuff is more easier
    2. Divine & normal Divine Glow has no target cap....more awesomeness to spread HP debuff to those elites + adds clustered together by singularity, furious immolation, come and get it, etc.
    I don't want to go mainstream, ****...
    I dont even care what's mainstream or what's unique.. I chose depending on my needs. Currently i dont feel the need of much healing.. HP is the only decent 4/4 set bonus. Your beacon of faith 4/4 set bonus is plagued by low uptime, and harsh diminishing return. It's good however, for the stat only.
    Can anyone answer my question without flaming my style? Please?
    no one is 'flaming' your style. it's only in your head.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No good DC uses HP.

That is just a silly claim. The fact is that a good DC uses whatever is appropriate in each set of circumstances.

I don't really know what the best DC armor for PvP is - I don't do PvP, but it is pretty clearly not HP - presumably one of the PvP sets or the BI set - I don't know, and I'll let someone else comment on that.

For solo PvE content, it really doesn't matter what you wear - the solo content is so easy that gear is pretty much irrelevant. Some DCs prefer gear that increases their DPS - others prefer gear that increases their survivability - but again, it really doesn't matter.

For HEs, one of the "healing" sets is the best choice - at least if you want to get "Great Success" every time. I used to wear the MH set, but have now switched over to the Draconic set - it is really good for this particular purpose.

For Kessel's, you need the BI set...purified or corrupt, doesn't matter the content is easy- but you still need to get in.

For "low-end" group content, it really does not matter what you use.

For "high-end" group content with undergeared people (like your typical PUG), healing and survivability might more important than buffing/debuffing - this is the tough case, and I'm going to claim there is no single "best" armor for this case - it depends too much on your play style and the group in question.

For "high-end" group content with well-geared an experienced people, it really doesn't matter what you wear outside a few boss fights - however, in those few boss fights, HP is currently the best choice - it can speed up the fight significantly.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • chihuabchihuab Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2014
    ren047 wrote: »
    Are you saying i am an idiot for not wanting high prophet? Just because everyone uses it?

I don't want to go mainstream, ****...

Can anyone answer my question without flaming my style? Please?
    I don't see why you'd get offended by what @godhric said.

Anyway, no one is forcing you to go mainstream, but the fact is that high prophet is arguably the best option for PvE.

You're just like a hipster who chooses to use a typewriter instead of a computer because you don't wanna go mainstream, how pathetic.
  • totenkopf77totenkopf77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No good DC uses HP. Snip* Moar useless troll blather *Snip

After watching your videos it is easy to see why you have never recognized good DC play.

Maybe the DC advocate could start informing the Mods of clear trolling like this and have the trash removed?
    edited October 2014
    After watching your videos it is easy to see why you have never recognized good DC play.

Maybe the DC advocate could start informing the Mods of clear trolling like this and have the trash removed?

LOL, seriously the amount of bad info in this section of the forums for DC is mind boggling. By all means keep out any good pvp info because it is trolling totally makes sense. So you watched me win 80+ domination matches since mod 4 came out on a healing/tank mod 1 DO build DC with no oranges pugging and that showed bad DC play?

And will again post a quote from another experienced DC that has pretty **** good credibility since day 1 as do I on what works for DC.
    diogene0 wrote: »
    High prophet is completely useless outside of boss fights in what you call "high end parties". The damage buffs make you save what, 2s on an encounter? 3, maybe? NPCs die so fast high prophet and damage buffs are mostly irrelevant. What most high GS people enjoy doing is staying in red to keep casting. So you're here for mitigation not damage increase.

The only good reason to use high prophet is to please your friends because they think you're awesome when they crit for 150k on a dying mob even though a 30k hit would have killed it anyway.

And to the OP, try this for mod 5. You will eat peoples lunch. Want to ball even harder add in fomorian gauntlets and helm. This is Mittens old build, who is now the SW advocate. Was a great DC who played outside the box.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/88228590@N06/sets/72157645590100471/

If you want to go the other way, not DPS for mod 5. Can run sentinel which I have been since August of 2013. It will not take advantage of many of the changes but you will stay on your feet and keep the heals flowing. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?446761-GCTRL-s-quot-Sentinel-quot-Cleric-Tank-for-PvP-25-Deflect-1k-Regen-2kDef
    Wake | Halfling | DC
  • heljspeheljspe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ive been a DC since beta so at some point I've tried all the sets except Black Ice. That said, I play a Support Class DC, so for me its not about numbers, or DPS or gs or whatever, its about getting everyone else though the dungeon successfully. I enjoy PvP Occassionally, but I'm a clear PvE DC. :)

Defining a 'Good' DC is like defining a good 'Teacher' - it'll be different depending on each players personality. I decide Ive been a 'good' DC when I've had fun, noone's died (or noones died when I could have saved them ie-one-hits dont count, and 'run away and hit everything a mile away noobs' dont count), it doesnt take forever to complete, and everyone says 'thankyou' at the end. These days I have few bad runs, which is nice. ^_^

At the moment (and likely into Mod5) Im running with 3 full sets.
    If Im playing a debuff cleric Ill run HP because its the only set that debuffs. (think T2)
    If Im playing high heals cleric Ill run Draconic or Miracle Healers if Im outta draconic enchants. (think LoL/SoT)
    If I was just going for gs (which I havent needed to since I hit 18k) I used 2 2-sets. Not ashamed, if gs is all a party wants, I can at least provide that. :p
    I tired Divine Em set for awhile - but it was epic broken in beta and I just havent trusted it since. ^^"
    The others, idk, just didnt seem to faze me one way or another, so I salvaged them xD

So yea, for me what I wear depends on the dungon and the party. For example, if theres a heal SW, a good GF or we're at an easy boss, then Ill put on more debuffs because ppl dont need as many heals. If Im the only support class in a party of 'squishies' or we're at a hard boss, then I'll def put on more heals. But that goes for passives and encounters too.
    Its about finding a mix where you feel you maximise your abilities and have the greatest positive impact on a group in the manor they desire and youre not wasting opportunaties. As someone was saying before, no point hitting something with 10k HP for 150k - and the same goes for healing. No point healing someone every second for 10k if theyre only losing 300HP every minuite, but on the flip side, no point debuffing if everything dies in 1.3seconds but your party isnt at full health. Balance is essential. For me full health bars comes first, then if I find Im not needing full heals and a heal set, Ill start swapping out for buffs/debuffs beacuse then at least I AM doing something useful, even ifs its only a little.

As for what's mainstream - I play for me. Not for anyone else, so idc what anyone else is doing either way. :p Im not afraid to be different, or the same. So long as IM having fun. :)

So - If youre not into HP, defo recommend Draconic.
    The ability to choose 2 effects to go with your armour makes it a very versitile set that you can tailor to your goals. Yea you have to make sure you have the enchant thingys, but theyre not hard to pick up, and everything but Red is cheep atm anyways. But thats just works for me. Might be differnet for you.

Hope you find something useful. ^_^
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So you watched me win 80+ domination matches since mod 4 came out on a healing/tank mod 1 DO build DC with no oranges pugging and that showed bad DC play?

You lost more than you won right? You understand that the ranking system pits you against people at your own level so you will always win about half your games once you have settled to your proper ranking? Thus, you are posting videos of low ranked games where you are pitted against low ranked players.

So, it is indeed my opinion that those videos show bad play.

First, your strategy of standing at point 2 and defending it is possibly the worst thing you could possibly be doing. It shows a profound misunderstanding of strategy and tactics of domination! It is terrible to stand on a point that is solid blue; standing idle means the rest of your time is fighting 4v5! It also invites enemies to come and contest your point!

Next, these videos show slow reaction times, poor use of dodge, poor spell choices, and overall lack of situational awareness.

And yet you come to this board crowing about how good you are and how bad everyone else is, then post videos that exhibit your own mediocrity.
    edited October 2014
    First, your strategy of standing at point 2 and defending it is possibly the worst thing you could possibly be doing. It shows a profound misunderstanding of strategy and tactics of domination! It is terrible to stand on a point that is solid blue; standing idle means the rest of your time is fighting 4v5! It also invites enemies to come and contest your point!

^ This
    Next, these videos show slow reaction times, poor use of dodge, poor spell choices, and overall lack of situational awareness.

^ This
    And yet you come to this board crowing about how good you are and how bad everyone else is, then post videos that exhibit your own mediocrity.

^ Couldnt've said it better myself... Priceless

You sir, are a gem.
    edited October 2014
    izatar wrote: »
    You lost more than you won right? You understand that the ranking system pits you against people at your own level so you will always win about half your games once you have settled to your proper ranking? Thus, you are posting videos of low ranked games where you are pitted against low ranked players.

So, it is indeed my opinion that those videos show bad play.

Really enjoying the interest in my game play, so I will post more lol. For your information I float around 10-25 wins above .500 in domination. Which for only doing pug is pretty **** good from what I am told by other DC/players. As for my competition it is all top 100 page players and mostly top 5-10 page players with over 20k GS. I run around 17k GS with no orange and too lazy for pots. But because of my record in domination I get put in top tier. I mostly see Essence, Chocolate, Phoenix, Exodus, GODMODE, Absolute in my domination games. In this bracket you tend to see the same players over and over in north american EST prime time at night after 8pm. Same pool of players like Jon Irenicus, Sway, Nightmare, Zereldo, Arcanty, a little Shadysin among others. Here is my last domination pug from last night. Top 5 page players. http://www.twitch.tv/raist718/c/5359813

Standing at 2 is what back cappers tell me to do over and over again in domination. Heal, tank and be the punching bag. Let the perma TR or regen HR do their thing on the far point while the rest move between the other two points spreading things out. If there is a second good killer on the team the spreading out lets them pick off other players. It is the only way a pug beats many of these premade or half premade groups. Premades breed speciality and that is their weakness if you get them spread out and not grouped up close.

Since I am the bad, what are your domination stats looking like? what page? what record? My stats are open to the public being streamed every night. Not hiding behind anything.
    Wake | Halfling | DC
  • bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Really enjoying the interest in my game play, so I will post more lol. For your information I float around 10-25 wins above .500 in domination. Which for only doing pug is pretty **** good from what I am told by other DC/players. As for my competition it is all top 100 page players and mostly top 5-10 page players with over 20k GS. I run around 17k GS with no orange and too lazy for pots. But because of my record in domination I get put in top tier. I mostly see Essence, Chocolate, Phoenix, Exodus, GODMODE, Absolute in my domination games. In this bracket you tend to see the same players over and over in north american EST prime time at night after 8pm. Same pool of players like Jon Irenicus, Sway, Nightmare, Zereldo, Arcanty, a little Shadysin among others. Here is my last domination pug from last night. Top 5 page players. http://www.twitch.tv/raist718/c/5359813

Standing at 2 is what back cappers tell me to do over and over again in domination. Heal, tank and be the punching bag. Let the perma TR or regen HR do their thing on the far point while the rest move between the other two points spreading things out. If there is a second good killer on the team the spreading out lets them pick off other players. It is the only way a pug beats many of these premade or half premade groups. Premades breed speciality and that is their weakness if you get them spread out and not grouped up close.

Since I am the bad, what are your domination stats looking like? what page? what record? My stats are open to the public being streamed every night. Not hiding behind anything.

Winning pug matches doesn't mean anything at all, one BiS player with 20k GS+ is enough to crush all the lowbies on the other side.

So only premade vs premade (w/ similar/mirror comp ideally) would show how well you perform. I mean tanking multiple lowbies who don't have a clue about PvP is way easier than tanking 1 BiS skilled player.
  • bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No one uses HP in PvP, but most people use HP in PvE, including our class advocate because we don't have comparable alternatives.
  • fusionawesomefusionawesome Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    (opinion of a pve player)
    Module 5 is bringing back the zone full of heroic encounters like ice wind dale. So with the HE's with high health monsters/bosses and the introduction of a 25 man raid which is a giant HE, the high prophet set is still the best set.

I am doing pvp again to collect some glory because the profound set bonus gives 30% more divinity. don't know if its good but given that divinity will become a valuable resource in mod 5 its worth a try.

The new mod 5 set has good, well rounded and high stats imo. the set bonus on it seems good when its stacked (so more in party need to use it) but on its own it doesn't seem that good you will probably wont notice it. so its more a epeen (look at my gs) set imo.