test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deleting Mails in Mailbox

calis17calis17 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all,

was just wondering if anyone else ever noticed that we have a mailbox that can actually fill up and doesnt have a delete all button.

From personal experience I can confirm that deleting them one at a time is a major waste of time and not the reason one should log into an MMPORG.

Please increase the user friendliness of the mailbox-system by making it easier to delete old mails.

Cheers!
Post edited by calis17 on

Comments

• jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There is a "Feature" in this Game that makes this just about the worst idea ever put forth in the history of Neverwinter:
    You can (easily and accidentally and constantly) delete Mail with attachments (including things like A.H. postings full of A.D. or items with vast sums). Many folks also use the Mail System as a sort of Shared Bank that can be accessed wherever there is a Mailbox (rather than one single location in P.E.). Unless they alter things to make it so as to protect any and all Mail that has any sort of attachment AND give us a Checkable Box to identify a particular Mail that we want to make immune to Mass Deletes, than this system would cause major problems for a great many people.
    Don't get me wrong:
    I would LOVE a mass delete/collect option (especially if you were given options like "Delete All Mail Without Attachments" or "Collect All Attachments From The Auction House ") but I just don't see a massive, total revamp of the System at this time.
    Hopefully down the road.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    If you hold down enter and click delete you will find it goes a bit faster.

It's not as ideal as a check box system but it does make the process a bit more bearable if you are careful not to delete important mail.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What we need is the ability to create personal folders to sort messages, a way to block messages from anyone but people on our friends list, (permitting admin/system messages of course), a sent items folder, and most importantly, a deleted items folder, where we can choose to undelete messages from.

I'd also like to see an option where we can have auction house messages auto-deleted once we take the ADs or item(s).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Another annoying issue with mail is, that it doesn't work properly if you have any other window open (like inventory). If you click del key you can discard some item from inventory instead of deleting mail, arrow keys don't work too. And it doesn't matter which window is active.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    What we need is the ability to create personal folders to sort messages, a way to block messages from anyone but people on our friends list, (permitting admin/system messages of course), a sent items folder, and most importantly, a deleted items folder, where we can choose to undelete messages from.

I'd also like to see an option where we can have auction house messages auto-deleted once we take the ADs or item(s).

All of these. Solid points, and most desirable. However, for a start, a new mail icon that works, and a mailbox that doesn't switch message focus under you when new mail comes in (so that as you click delete, the wrong mail is affected) would be a good bare minimum start for sanity.
  • calis17calis17 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the input!

I tried the method with holding down enter. It works after a fashion and is certainly better than the slow process of just delete and confirm. However, this can only be a work around and no substitute for a real mail system. Lots of good suggestions have been made here imo.

Cheers!
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    They used to. At least I think they did. After 5 days if I remember correctly. I mostly delete messages as soon as I'm done with them, so I rarely have messages that old. Did they change that?

No, they are still deleted after 5 days if there's no attachment.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It works fine for me - it is definitely not real user friendly and could be better, but it isn't so bad I feel I need to complain about it or add suggestions.

This issue would be way down my list of desired changes -too many other bugs that need attention. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    It works fine for me - it is definitely not real user friendly and could be better, but it isn't so bad I feel I need to complain about it or add suggestions.

This issue would be way down my list of desired changes -too many other bugs that need attention. :)

Your mind will change when one of your auctions sells, just as you're deleting mail.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Your mind will change when one of your auctions sells, just as you're deleting mail.

I will ALWAYS have nightmares about the first major item I sold on the AH, back in the day when I didn't have two AD to rub together. Deleted 150,000 AD.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited October 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    I will ALWAYS have nightmares about the first major item I sold on the AH, back in the day when I didn't have two AD to rub together. Deleted 150,000 AD.

Argh :(

Selling a lucky drop certainly becomes more exciting this way, if nothing else.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »

You get a warning before the permanent delete. Works fine for me.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • annihilumannihilum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How about implement a button to delete all mails WITHOUT attachment inside. ;)
    --
    I don't mind on control.
    I don't main on damage.
    I only mind on FUN.
    I have reached higher state of FUNNESS!
  • vcekvcek Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You know you can sort email by no-attachment first, then use whatever spam delete method you like.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    You get a warning before the permanent delete. Works fine for me.

Nope, the "permanent delete" warning does not apply to the mail you are trying to delete but to any mail that has focus at the moment you click "ok". If the focus switches an instant before deleting, BAM! your new mail vanishes.

That wouldn't be *that* bad if there was a "trash" tab where mails are deposited for 24-48h before being permanently deleted, but we don't have that either.