test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Other CW changes (SS, Assailing, Orb of Imp, Glacial Movement)

davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
edited October 2014 in The Library
Updated OP with changes to Wizard and Great Weapon Fighter that are as follows. These changes will *NOT* be in the initial preview push, but should be in a subsequent build.

Control Wizard
  • Storm Spell: Chance to activate increased to 30%, but can only trigger on critical hits now.
  • Thaumaturge: Assailing Force: The damage from this power is now activated by Encounter powers rather than all damage.
  • Orb of Imposition: This class feature has been reverted to a previous state where it grants 5% increased control duration per rank.
  • Oppressor: Glacial Movement: This feat now increases the effectiveness of each rank of Orb of Imposition by 4/8/12/16/20%.

I don't think this bodes well....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    For PvE the Orb of Imposition/Oppressor changes are irrelevant.

The SS change needs testing, cause there are 2 possible scenarios:
    1. SS can't be proc'd by every tick of ST anymore, since only the last tick deals dmg and can crit -> SS CWs got a huge nerf, and are now more in line with MoF CWs
    2. SS can still be proc'd by every tick of ST -> it may actually be a DPS boost in dungeons because the increased proc chance means more procs when it matters, at the start of combat when you have a lot of mobs and EotS active so you auto crit

The Assailant change is a nerf, because you'll have a lot less Assailant procs, which in turn decreases the Warped Magic procs too, since if you don't use Magic Missile, WM proc'd off ST & Assailant only.

These changes mostly affect PvP, since there you'll now have to choose between Control and DPS, you won't be able to do both like now. Also the SS and Assailant changes will significantly decrease the DPS of CWs in PvP, meaning all but the most exped PvP CWs will become free kills for anyone, since mod 4 lowered CW encounter DPS and now mod 5 lowers CW proc DPS too, without buffing encounters.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah it's really bad for PvP. I don't have additional comments to be honest. It's probably gonna be the worse module ever for PvP CW.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    PvP dps is going to be flat out broken by the storm spell change.

If you stack crit to make it proc semi reliably you are giving up your armour pen. If you give up your armour pen well I guess you could hope the other guy doesn't have a lot of mitigation and hp. If you take eots into pvp to make stormspell proc dependably well I hope you can burn someone down in 6 seconds because otherwise you are going to be Mr. Pillow Fists after that because your at wills are weak and everyone has an easy time dodging your encounters excluding icy rays.

I assume you all use shield for the tankiness too. Now you have 3 chances for assailant to proc.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Guess 3 pages of mod4 CW nerf wasn't enough!
    Time to play with my SW becuse it seems to be the only way to see some dps...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I am wondering did pvp whiners make this happen btw?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    kozi001 wrote: »
    I am wondering did pvp whiners make this happen btw?

No, there was just as much QQ about Storm Spell PvE damage as it was about its damage in PvP.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Its not going to effect pve. 30% chance on crit makes spellstorm wizard tac nukes bigger. At worst the play style gets more rigid
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No, there was just as much QQ about Storm Spell PvE damage as it was about its damage in PvP.
    I have a few ideas by whom...
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Bump orb of imposition back to 5%, meaning it's useless again. But leave all the encounters in a nerfed state. You don't want CWs controlling, or doing damage.

Spell storm only procing on crit is completely unfair to lower level people who don't even have crit.
  • Options
    bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think it's pretty obvious for everyone who played this game for more than a few months and reads the forums that certain people won't be happy until the CW in nerf'd into oblivion, and even then i'll bet they'll still find something to QQ about.

As long as i can remember there were people complaining about CWs having either to much damage, to much control or both.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think it's pretty obvious for everyone who played this game for more than a few months and reads the forums that certain people won't be happy until the CW in nerf'd into oblivion, and even then i'll bet they'll still find something to QQ about.

As long as i can remember there were people complaining about CWs having either to much damage, to much control or both.

While that is true, if we're being completely honest those complaints have almost always had merit. Even with all of the re-works and nerfs in Mod 4 CW's still do a truckload of damage and have better control than ever before. While I'm not terribly happy that they are re-addressing the CW so soon after completely overhauling the class, I can't say that nerfs are unjustified. I just wish they were going about this in a better way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wont even bother to complain. They seem to do alot of guess-work when they trying to balance.
    Let me know when you done guessing.

With the new TR i wouldnt mind if they buffed shield 200%. I can imagine how fun PvP is gonna be when the other team has 2-3 TRs running around one-shotting everyone.

Nerf Stormspell damage
    Buff Focused Wizardy to make up for the stormspell nerf
    Buff shard damage on TABB or when flagged for PvP
    Buff Chilling presence damage
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Literally forces you to use EotS. Most of the damage is from DoT, and if it doesn't crit you see nothing getting zapped. CoI depends on a crit from the start, no crit = no spell storm proc. Icy terrain won't proc, EVER. Shard doesn't even do damage so what does that matter if it crits.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    PvP dps is going to be flat out broken by the storm spell change.

If you stack crit to make it proc semi reliably you are giving up your armour pen.

That's not exactly true.

AZ6tfHW.jpg

My stats in my PvP loadout, with 22% tenacity and 34k HP. With my stats, I think that's pushing 42% crit chance. Tack on Red Dragon enchants for the Arm Pen buff and you're cooking.
    If you take eots into pvp to make stormspell proc dependably well I hope you can burn someone down in 6 seconds

And yes I do, and yes I can. Are CW's the cream of the crop when it comes to tippity tip top toppy top of the PvP food chain? No. But in GG, open world and random domination, it's easy to blow people up before they can even react. And the changes to Storm Spell are only going to improve that opening burst.

What this solves is people who run into PvP and simply hold down Ray of Frost for the win.

Did you guys honestly think the Assailing Force/Storm Spell gravy train was going to roll on forever? None of these changes surprise me.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    34k hp. Wow, that's totally unimpressive in any way at all. And a whole 30% armour pen against guys with 50% DR and 22% tenacity. That's sure to get the job done. And 7k power in domination. That sure is a choice

There is 1 damage encounter, its called icy rays. There are 2 daily powers that can do damage, icy knife and oppressive force. And you've got your wills that are about as a powerful as a cat's lick.

What would surprise me is if you actually have a wizard.

Oh and assailant hasn't been a big deal in some time but it was something.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    in GG, open world and random domination, it's easy to blow people up before they can even react.

CW performance is only important from a Premade vs Premade perspective, with BiS gear, or in a 1vs1 duel situation. If you wanna test your CW's performance vs geared players from all classes, let me know and I will set up a test - no companions, Domination style, on node-large area.

You will be unpleasantly surprised. And I'm talking WITH the actual Storm Spell and Assailant lol.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Can we talk about how long the other classes's stuns are in comparison to the CWs's without the current Orb of Imposition?

Back to the Control Wizard with one third of a second of control.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    Can we talk about how long the other classes's stuns are in comparison to the CWs's without the current Orb of Imposition?

Back to the Control Wizard with one third of a second of control.

Besides, no one wants to go oppressor after they messed with the freeze mechanic. There's almost NOTHING that useful from the tree anyway.

Why nerf OoI back to base anyway. A MoF CW has 2 give up one of their vital features to use it. Spell storm is wrecked now, so what the hell do they have to make the most out of. Give TRs surprise burst damage with 99% damage on first strike with blitz or LB, but take away the control from CW.

CWs were getting close to being polished up enough for pvp, but they start to rob them of both their control and DPS. I didn't feel it was overly OP. I was held longer than normal because some CWs TAB'd entangle. You can already predict or bait em to waste their encounters anyway.
  • Options
    vexus99vexus99 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This sucks.

I don't have a problem nerfing Storm Spell. Maybe it will make the 1% who play Renegade double to 2%? While I don't know how this adjustment will work, it seemed clear that Storm Spell was too strong and was heading for a nerf. Unlike most other classes though, it took the Devs like a year to nerf the GWF and longer to nerf the uber-deflect TR's (and they're going to buff them again shortly :rolleyes: so /golfclap ). It sucks that they didn't give us a year before they "fixed" it but ... all in all we all saw it coming.

The Orb of Imposition nerf is shortsighted. Currently it's a solid choice and in no way overpowered. Coupled with the Storm Spell nerf it just might have been used some. Now, with this nerf, Orb of Imposition goes back to being irrelevant ... meaning we will once again be forced to use Storm Spell, LMAO. Not wise to nerf Orb of Imposition ... this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The nerf to Glacial Movement suuuuuuuucks. We FINALLY had a decent Oppressor path ... this wrecks it. Oh well, I guess those 20% of us who were Oppressor need to join the other 80% in the Thaumaturge tree ... again. Honestly, given the previous changes to chill stacking this nerf is entirely unnecessary and makes Oppressor irrelevant. Not wise.

It seems clear ... the Devs will not be happy until TR's are on top again, CW's are all Thaumaturge and punching bags in PvP. Disappointing. The idea of a glass cannon that cannot outdamage a stealthtank with undebuffable deflect ... seems pretty unbalanced. But hey, I guess the Rogues pay the bills.

Here's a thought, make every CW skill debuff 20% deflect and let it stack. Then, maybe we'd have a chance if we get the jump.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Why didn't they just reduce spell storm's damage? That's what I don't understand.
  • Options
    germmaniacgermmaniac Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Guess 3 pages of mod4 CW nerf wasn't enough!
    Time to play with my SW becuse it seems to be the only way to see some dps...

Wait, what nerf in Mod 4? The CW is still the top dps, although it has to share some limelight with SWs (SWs may pull ahead, since a lot of them may not be equally geared and specced as compared to CWs). But the CW still pulls way ahead in PvE (at least pre-Mod 4 dungeons; ESOT and ELOL were designed to negate this, but all content pre-Mod4 is still wide open for CWs to rule the paingiver charts-probably not the best approach in my opinion, but that is how it seems so far).

Yes, I do see PvP mages getting affected. But on the PvE side, mod4 hardly balanced CWs to get them in line with other classes.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    germmaniac wrote: »
    Wait, what nerf in Mod 4? The CW is still the top dps, although it has to share some limelight with SWs (SWs may pull ahead, since a lot of them may not be equally geared and specced as compared to CWs). But the CW still pulls way ahead in PvE (at least pre-Mod 4 dungeons; ESOT and ELOL were designed to negate this, but all content pre-Mod4 is still wide open for CWs to rule the paingiver charts-probably not the best approach in my opinion, but that is how it seems so far).

Yes, I do see PvP mages getting affected. But on the PvE side, mod4 hardly balanced CWs to get them in line with other classes.

Have you noticed that little thing that shard is hitting like wet noodles nowadays? And CWs actually go near mobs to kill them with dots giving the time to SW/HR to kill everything from far.
    We cannot be called "ranged" anymore...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?708161-Updated-list-of-Changes-for-Control-Wizard-s-in-Module-4
  • Options
    germmaniacgermmaniac Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Have you noticed that little thing that shard is hitting like wet noodles nowadays? And CWs actually go near mobs to kill them with dots giving the time to SW/HR to kill everything from far.
    We cannot be called "ranged" anymore...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?708161-Updated-list-of-Changes-for-Control-Wizard-s-in-Module-4

Renegade build and MoF paragon can be considered as nerfs. Of these, Renegades may (or may not, knowing what we do of these updates) get some rework thereby making them useful again (does not necessarily have to be measured using your epeen dps stick). The shard was rightly nerfed, since it was doing way too much of both, damage and control. The effect of range being cut down isn't really a deal breaker.
    In fact, armor penetration was fixed, buffing all skills. And Thaumaturge capstone and well as SS passive received decent boosts. The class is nowhere close to weak, the way you are describing it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    germmaniac wrote: »
    Renegade build and MoF paragon can be considered as nerfs. Of these, Renegades may (or may not, knowing what we do of these updates) get some rework thereby making them useful again (does not necessarily have to be measured using your epeen dps stick). The shard was rightly nerfed, since it was doing way too much of both, damage and control. The effect of range being cut down isn't really a deal breaker.
    In fact, armor penetration was fixed, buffing all skills. And Thaumaturge capstone and well as SS passive received decent boosts. The class is nowhere close to weak, the way you are describing it.

Maybe you didn't noticed the difference during PK or Cragmire Crypt runs but the dps difference was clearly seen in CN ACT parses at mod4 release!

And CW will be further nerfed in mod5...

Btw by making a tree or paragon "usefull" is no real solution if we nerf the other tree and cover the it and hate to interrupt the cheering but Storm Spell nerf affect Renegades as well.
  • Options
    kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have a few ideas by whom...

me too , and by a pvp CW too lol . i guess he plays another class after he proposed that !
    sadly devs listen to anyone !
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    kaedennn wrote: »
    me too , and by a pvp CW too lol . i guess he plays another class after he proposed that !
    sadly devs listen to anyone !

Keep up good job ruining this class then!