test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fabulous! Or clothes that real people would actually wear...

arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I noticed that the newer fashion sets as well as some armor sets look like something that an actual person would wear. For example, the medic outfit from the last event looks decent and practical on both genders. Contrast this with the jester outfit, where the male and the female versions are radically different (male = actual jester outfit, female = jester-themed stripper outfit), or the courtesan outfit, where the male version looks sexy but the female version is just stripperrific.

Among the fashion outfits, these look believable:

1. Battlefield Medic
2. Injured Survivor
3. Waterdhavian Outfit
4. Male Jester
5. Male Courtesan
6. Blacksmith
7. Cult of the Dragon Outfit (except the ridiculous hat)
8. Peasant
9. Dragonborn Ceremonial (on non-Dragonborn)
10. Sunite Outfit (especially the hat on both genders)
Edit: 11. All Icewind Dale Outfits (almost forgot these)

The following are believable but just way too fancy to wear outside formal affairs:

1. Moonstone Outfit
2. Moonsilver Outfit
3. All Zen Outfits
4. Turmish Merchant (maybe looking rich and successful to your customers is the point?)
5. Thayan Patrician

These are stripperrific:

1. Female Jester (oh she'll make Lord Neverember happy, indeed)
2. Female Courtesan (but maybe that's the point?)
3. Dragonborn Ceremonial (on dragonborn of either gender o_O)

And this is impractical:

1. Dragonborn Warrior (leaves joints exposed, wearer might hurt himself/herself on armor spikes)

I didn't include the PvP pirate outfit since I haven't seen it yet. Did I miss anything else?

P.S.

I'm away from desktop, so I'll post pics tomorrow.
Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
Post edited by arontimes on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You bring up some excellent points! Since they added the blacksmith set, I'd love to see some that go along with the various professions we can develop in our characters - tailoring, alchemy, etc.

There are also various sets or pieces that NPCs wear, which would make for some nice fashion sets.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like my dragonborn ceremonial on my dragonborn chick. I have scales, why do I need clothing? I only wear any at all to fit in with human society, so I just cover what would be considered inappropriate to show. I don't know if that fits dragonborn lore though or not. I need to do some research.

Either way, my main dragonborn female cleric wears the dragonborn ceremonial shirt and battlefield medic pants for her fashion. I like it. It looks functional and tribal at the same time. Something I could easily see a strong female wearing, which fits my character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Mentioned this a while ago. There's a very noticable lack of grungy/simple outfits. Where's the regular baggy pants of calimport or vests? Or just linen strapping for really poor people...
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    And can we have these as Foundry costumes? We could use some versatility of styles, and some non-heroic looks, and non-stripperish looks for women. Seriously, where are the sensible armors for women? Bare midriffs are a really bad idea for combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Blacksmith seems very practical. Put it on my GWF, but then the Dragonborn Armor looks so cool :O!

Imagine fighting in the feywild regalia, i know it makes a cool picture, but really? lol? XD XD XD
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You think the Injured Survivor outfit is believable? What sort of a doctor puts bandages over your armor, and leaves the arrows in you and sends you on your way? ;)

The fashions I think are generally well done, except.....and I have this issue with practically every MMO...the head gear. For whatever reason, head gear and head armor seems to be the hardest stuff to make look good. Probably because it has to be functional as well as fashionable, something hard to do on a round head with a small area.

Along the topic lines, please reduce the cost for transmuting. I went to transmute a piece of armor and it wanted 50k AD....I could see 5k, 10k maybe even...but 50k? I know thats a drop in the bucket for some people, but that seems seriously overpriced.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I prefer the more fantasy ones tbh. More regular stuff seems dull to me.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I actually think NW is one of the MMOs that has the less striperiffic clothes for girls, I like that.
    I like that both genders have the OPTION now (specially with emperor clothes) to show more or less skin.
    I wish we could haqve more barbarian looking clothes, although the green boxers on males don't look right with most no-pants fashion.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    arontimes wrote: »
    I noticed that the newer fashion sets as well as some armor sets look like something that an actual person would wear. For example, the medic outfit from the last event looks decent and practical on both genders. Contrast this with the jester outfit, where the male and the female versions are radically different (male = actual jester outfit, female = jester-themed stripper outfit), or the courtesan outfit, where the male version looks sexy but the female version is just stripperrific.

Among the fashion outfits, these look believable:

1. Battlefield Medic
    2. Injured Survivor
    3. Waterdhavian Outfit
    4. Male Jester
    5. Male Courtesan
    6. Blacksmith
    7. Cult of the Dragon Outfit (except the ridiculous hat)
    8. Peasant
    9. Dragonborn Ceremonial (on non-Dragonborn)
    10. Sunite Outfit (especially the hat on both genders)
    Edit: 11. All Icewind Dale Outfits (almost forgot these)

The following are believable but just way too fancy to wear outside formal affairs:

1. Moonstone Outfit
    2. Moonsilver Outfit
    3. All Zen Outfits
    4. Turmish Merchant (maybe looking rich and successful to your customers is the point?)
    5. Thayan Patrician

These are stripperrific:

1. Female Jester (oh she'll make Lord Neverember happy, indeed)
    2. Female Courtesan (but maybe that's the point?)
    3. Dragonborn Ceremonial (on dragonborn of either gender o_O)

And this is impractical:

1. Dragonborn Warrior (leaves joints exposed, wearer might hurt himself/herself on armor spikes)

I didn't include the PvP pirate outfit since I haven't seen it yet. Did I miss anything else?

P.S.

I'm away from desktop, so I'll post pics tomorrow.

Having seen some actual documentaries about various tribes that still live in a non-modern fashion (I hesitate to call it primitive because some of the stuff they do is actually pretty impressive) I would contest that the ceremonial leathers are not stripperific, but are in fact reminiscent of ceremonial outfits used by real world tribes.

A courtesan is a prostitute. Admittedly a high class one who's primary clientele are landed nobility (historically - hence the name), but still a prostitute. Showing off the goods is a good way to advertise.

Finally, this is a fantasy setting. While practical clothing that resonates or copies real world styles has its place, this genre was practically built on impractical, implausible, or outright impossible clothing options like chain mail bikinis that provide the same amount of protection as full plate armor.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    canis36 wrote: »
    Finally, this is a fantasy setting. While practical clothing that resonates or copies real world styles has its place, this genre was practically built on impractical, implausible, or outright impossible clothing options like chain mail bikinis that provide the same amount of protection as full plate armor.

"This genre", as defined by you, applies to Asian-taste videogames. Games built on D&D franchise, and generally Western developed MMOs, while trying to have some visual appeal and thus not being exactly "realistic", usually do not seem terribly impractical or nude-looking.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    really? most DnD girls in drawings I've seen are wearing Chainmail bikinis or something similar. (at least most of them have their midfiff exposed, which isn't too realistic if you ask me.

https://www.google.cl/search?q=DnD+girl&safe=off&rlz=1C1SAVU_enCL604CL604&espv=2&biw=1360&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QsYqVI6zE4TksASbmIDACQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=dungeons+and+dragons+female
    you can see many examples in there.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I do actually like the male courtesan outfit (although I never noticed the heart) it's sexy and shows some chest/abs.
    I wish it would show more skin, but I think too many people would complain XD
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    mosaic06mosaic06 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Although if anyone is interested the new Neverember Archer lady, says 'I'll put an arrow in his knee' and low and be hold my Injured Survivors kit, which I have on my Dragonborn Girl - has...um..an arrow in the knee :) hehe I did wonder where the arrow went :)