test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Large, underground maps

dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
So for the next chapter of my campaign, I want to do a fairly sizable underground city. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there isn't just a huge, empty cave room. Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?
Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
Post edited by dtz on

Comments

• gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Through trickery. Use the large, empty cavern rooms. Make sure to use fog effects to hide the walls. Use portals or archways to disguise room transitions. Add buildings around the corners of doorways.

UE8qXM1.jpg

Other than that, you could use the blank indoor map, and just lay down rock to walk on. But that will take a lot of time and detail resources.

You can kinda see what I mean if you play the quest "Nightmare on Market Street" by lovepeas.
    Or just click this link to see the screenshots.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    U wont be able to place MOBs at out-of-room platforms. There is roombuilder big empty room with only invisible walls which u can connect with each other enabling the "doors" between them and that will remove the walls completely. Make it a cave urself then.

And there is huge absolutely empty cave room, unless u mean huge as full-map-sized room.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    maegmaag wrote: »
    And there is huge absolutely empty cave room, unless u mean huge as full-map-sized room.
    I do. The fully invisible room might be my best bet, then, with a bit of creativity.

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Twill probably pay off if ull invest some effort. Its high enough and besides the time spent into "linking" each room with other u can fill the whole available map area with them (definitelly big enough), effectively making it "an empty indoor map". Rly wish this was implemented when i started my project long time ago.

Also place some markers (i use ruler assets) on the map, for the rooms are totally invisible in detail view and u may have hard times dealing with it.

edit: Also in case its not clear, these rooms should allow u to use all the "room backdrop" sound and dsp options (and lights are no-lights or "work lights") and, as far as i tested it, these do not suffer from "deaf spots" when going from one room to another (unlike some of the prebuild rooms). Play with it, twill pay off as well for the immersion.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • redwoodtheelfredwoodtheelf Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've seen some adventures that scale things up or down...couldn't you take the largest cave room available and scale it up?
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nope. There is absolutely no asset or room scaling possible. Also be careful using the empty "room builder" as there may be an invisible wall in the middle height-wise. Check my bug list. If I recall RB rooms go from -500y to +500y and the invis wall is at 0. Very annoying.
  • dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I ultimately went with a flat, empty outdoor map and repurposed Dale Rock Cliff Large 01 Dark (at -180 rotation) for the floor.