test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is the warlock class so far in the game?

vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2014 in The Nine Hells
Thinking of rolling the warlock or the control wizard. For people with experience with the warlock in end game, how are they so far? Are they in demand? Are they performing as well if not better than control wizards or are they neck and neck? How much fun are they to play in your opinion?
Post edited by vestige321 on

Comments

• kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    They're perfectly respectable. Fury, which is the straight DPS tree is very solid DPS, and surprisingly good at single target boss killing too. Temptation, which is the healy lock, brings useful DPS, and a powerful healing effect for groups that want a healer. Damnation is the odd one out- they're relatively ineffective in PvE, though apparently somewhat better in PvP. Damnation's DPS could be better, and the pet is very buggy in dungeons, though.

All warlocks can have a daily called Tyrannical Threat, which is currently very broken, and lets you unleash all hell. In a group with some other solid DPS, it can just melt bosses, it's hilarious.

So, I don't know, warlocks seem just fine to me. The question of demand seems a bit moot. Most competent groups will take any reasonable setup these days, without a problem. Warlocks are certainly more useful in a dungeon than a TR, though. It's probably true that more groups will explicitly seek a CW in preference to other DPS, but you still shouldn't have any issue getting a spot.

I've cleared all the T2 and T2.5 stuff with my Fury Warlock, as well as epic Shores and epic Lair Of Lostmauth, and it all seemed to work ok, if that's what you consider "end game". There's a solid t2 dungeon set (Accursed Diabolist) with a great set bonus, and the class plays nicely.

It's very different from my CW. I enjoy both. Ideally, I'd like a CW in a party with my warlock, too- as they have some fantastic synergies if the CW is good- you become a wrecking crew. Typically, because of Tyranical Threat, expect the warlock to be at the top of the paingiver charts for the dungeon- not that this should matter.

No, it's a fun class, with interesting mechanics, and quite entertaining to play in PvE. It's not so hot in PvP, however..
  • leandreav1leandreav1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From my (limited) experience I don't see people hung up on group comp. In fact, sometimes DCs and GFs are even skipped. I play a tempt warlock and I find my damage pretty good and more ranged than my CW (the reason why I stopped playing it was that most of its better spells are almost melee range). Plus sometimes I take the place of a DC and we blaze through since DCs tend to be a rarity.
  • incestuosaincestuosa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Damnation is the odd one out- they're relatively ineffective in PvE, though apparently somewhat better in PvP. Damnation's DPS could be better, and the pet is very buggy in dungeons, though.

Is this a joke ? You probably have no idea of ​​the power of a damnation. Their damage and survival are great in pve. With the correct build your damage is better than fury. People have no idea how damnation is good because follow these guides and builds and take them as absolute truth.
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    incestuosa wrote: »
    Is this a joke ? You probably have no idea of ​​the power of a damnation. Their damage and survival are great in pve. With the correct build your damage is better than fury. People have no idea how damnation is good because follow these guides and builds and take them as absolute truth.

LOL @ this, you show me a build that even remotely competes with fury and temp DPS and I'll take a second look. Nobody is gonna sacrifice soul link or creeping death for stupid soul puppets with useless AI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    LOL @ this, you show me a build that even remotely competes with fury and temp DPS and I'll take a second look. Nobody is gonna sacrifice soul link or creeping death for stupid soul puppets with useless AI.

Why should I do this? I prefer not to say my build. That way when the "nerf hammer" hitting the warlock they will focus on fury and temptation. Also, do not want to happen what usually occurs with intelligent builds, as permstealth.

Soul puppet is not stupid, he's just misunderstood. Many people criticize damnation but never played with him or have any idea of its potential.
    edited September 2014
    n63bj1mxn
    http://postimg.org/image/n63bj1mxn/

lpjt9c12n
    http://postimg.org/image/lpjt9c12n/

Just to prove what I said . These pictures are of the last two dungeons that I did.
  • truescramblestruescrambles Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Paingiver doesn't mean jack. Those pics tell us nothing. What was the Furylock's rotation and build? Who had more TTs up? Where is the parsed data that shows how much each person actually did?
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm running Damnation for the moment. Have a respec, but am hanging on to it until they get around to tearing this class a new one.. inevitable nerf-nukes... because while I have the lesser DPS path, I still cannot die and I still melt whatever I bother to look at, almost instantly. And what AI? It just attacks whatever I attack and makes it cry. It appears to be many times more valuable than any non-augment pet that I have used.

So hurry up and do your nerfs so we can all get on with it. Please?

NO. I am NOT asking for nerfs. I just know they are coming. And don't want to waste my purchased respec only to have whatever choices I make invalidated.. for the 'who-knows-how-manieth' time.
    edited September 2014
    You are right , I'm wrong. My only question is: why I had the idea of ​​reading nw forum after so long time.
  • wick220wick220 Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    They're perfectly respectable. Fury, which is the straight DPS tree is very solid DPS, and surprisingly good at single target boss killing too. Temptation, which is the healy lock, brings useful DPS, and a powerful healing effect for groups that want a healer. Damnation is the odd one out- they're relatively ineffective in PvE, though apparently somewhat better in PvP. Damnation's DPS could be better, and the pet is very buggy in dungeons, though.

All warlocks can have a daily called Tyrannical Threat, which is currently very broken, and lets you unleash all hell. In a group with some other solid DPS, it can just melt bosses, it's hilarious.

So, I don't know, warlocks seem just fine to me. The question of demand seems a bit moot. Most competent groups will take any reasonable setup these days, without a problem. Warlocks are certainly more useful in a dungeon than a TR, though. It's probably true that more groups will explicitly seek a CW in preference to other DPS, but you still shouldn't have any issue getting a spot.

I've cleared all the T2 and T2.5 stuff with my Fury Warlock, as well as epic Shores and epic Lair Of Lostmauth, and it all seemed to work ok, if that's what you consider "end game". There's a solid t2 dungeon set (Accursed Diabolist) with a great set bonus, and the class plays nicely.

It's very different from my CW. I enjoy both. Ideally, I'd like a CW in a party with my warlock, too- as they have some fantastic synergies if the CW is good- you become a wrecking crew. Typically, because of Tyranical Threat, expect the warlock to be at the top of the paingiver charts for the dungeon- not that this should matter.

No, it's a fun class, with interesting mechanics, and quite entertaining to play in PvE. It's not so hot in PvP, however..

What you've said about the Scourge Warlock skill trees completely explains why I've been feeling like the Warlock sucks. I chose to go down the Damnation tree. The class was great - until level 45 or so. Compared to my CW I felt like cannon fodder (getting killed by little spiders - what the hell?). Even now at 60 I feel extremely weak. Oh look I've got this green circle on the ground. OH wow! It exploded into tentacles and barely scratched the enemy.

My CW is way more fun to play compared to my Damnation Warlock - I'll get a respec in and see if my tune changes.

EDIT: And what's the deal with that Dreadtheft spell? This has to be the clunkiest, ugliest spell in the game - I'm only using it because it does a ton of damage. I feel stupid every time it's on though - oh look at me with my big purple laser pew pew.
    edited September 2014
    incestuosa wrote: »
    Why should I do this? I prefer not to say my build. That way when the "nerf hammer" hitting the warlock they will focus on fury and temptation. Also, do not want to happen what usually occurs with intelligent builds, as permstealth.

Soul puppet is not stupid, he's just misunderstood. Many people criticize damnation but never played with him or have any idea of its potential.

Oh lol... Tell me you didn't do the 'I can, but I won't show you. But take my word for it'. You know, bronze players in League of Legends also do this when they say they could be diamonds if they wanted.

Well, okay, we will take your word for it. Somewhere, someone, has a secret feat/gear combo that obliterates simple basic math.
    edited September 2014
    wick220 wrote: »
    EDIT: And what's the deal with that Dreadtheft spell? This has to be the clunkiest, ugliest spell in the game - I'm only using it because it does a ton of damage. I feel stupid every time it's on though - oh look at me with my big purple laser pew pew.

Verily. I changed from CW to SW because I was not enjoying the almost melee aspect of CW in order to use their better spells. One of my frequent complaints about the SW is how clunky it is compared to CW. Things like needing to curse before shooting (like Fiery Bolt, if a mob gets between us and the target just before we shoot it completely kills the damage of the spell on a non cursed target) or Dreadtheft going all over the place when mobs run in our direction. Dreatheft isn't even good single target damage until we get our Accursed Diabolist, then it synergizes very well with the 24-hits-in-six-seconds combo.
  • wick220wick220 Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    leandreav1 wrote: »
    Verily. I changed from CW to SW because I was not enjoying the almost melee aspect of CW in order to use their better spells. One of my frequent complaints about the SW is how clunky it is compared to CW. Things like needing to curse before shooting (like Fiery Bolt, if a mob gets between us and the target just before we shoot it completely kills the damage of the spell on a non cursed target) or Dreadtheft going all over the place when mobs run in our direction. Dreatheft isn't even good single target damage until we get our Accursed Diabolist, then it synergizes very well with the 24-hits-in-six-seconds combo.

Man I didn't even touch on cursing - I can't even count the number of times I've tried to curse a target only to curse the guy that gets in the way - or like you said - dropping the big fireball only to hit the non-cursed target and fizzle away. I miss having 4 encounter spells. I tried the passive that makes the curse deal damage to uncursed targets - very lackluster damage - it needs to be an upfront hit plus a DoT.

And what's with the massive delay casting the Hellish Rebuke? My character stands still for like 2 seconds to cast that thing (I found the trick is to shadowslip immediately after casting rebuke to avoid the 'casting delay'). I will say that I absolutely love cruising around with shadowslip.

Bah. I'm going to do some research and respec once. If I still don't like it I will probably just unlock the 3rd boon and shelve her.

Devoted Cleric up next! Too bad I ran out of 2X XP weekend. :(
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestige321 wrote: »
    Thinking of rolling the warlock or the control wizard. For people with experience with the warlock in end game, how are they so far? Are they in demand? Are they performing as well if not better than control wizards or are they neck and neck? How much fun are they to play in your opinion?

Warlock have powerfull skills since the start. CW strongest skills gets latter.. I don't have epic gear, ant yet manage to get on top during dungeon runs. And even dominion 5vs5. Warlock have strong one target skills, and kinda lack of control ability like CW. But yet, it was not a problem to do what you can see in picture.. And other team had CW with far better gear than my one.. :P
    Its only matter of gamestyle.
    I had CW before warlock update.. Well it was kinda fun. And in the 60 lv is more easy play with CW than with warlock.... Thats why I keeping healer companion all time...

In one and other ways, i highly recommend that you try CW and warlock and then choose. :)
    Neverwinter_pvp_fun.png
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sprawlfx wrote: »
    I'm running Damnation for the moment. Have a respec, but am hanging on to it until they get around to tearing this class a new one.. inevitable nerf-nukes... because while I have the lesser DPS path, I still cannot die and I still melt whatever I bother to look at, almost instantly. And what AI? It just attacks whatever I attack and makes it cry. It appears to be many times more valuable than any non-augment pet that I have used.

So hurry up and do your nerfs so we can all get on with it. Please?

NO. I am NOT asking for nerfs. I just know they are coming. And don't want to waste my purchased respec only to have whatever choices I make invalidated.. for the 'who-knows-how-manieth' time.

Aren't we getting a free respec when they introduce the new paragon path soon?
  • truescramblestruescrambles Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cococya wrote: »
    Aren't we getting a free respec when they introduce the new paragon path soon?

Rangers didn't get one. Don't see why they would change it up now.
  • cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Rangers didn't get one. Don't see why they would change it up now.

Wow, then they are really greedy, indeed.