test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Knight Captains set vs Draconic set for GF

jimmygee1jimmygee1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hey guys,

My first post on this forum. I've been playing the GF class for the last few weeks and I have really been enjoying the class and I have fiddled about with different builds until I got the style I want.

Anyway I recently switched my indomitable champion set for knight captain set for the bonus buff. It is on 100% of the time if I have knights valor on. 25% defence and 15% more attack. I am tactician build. 5.5k def 5k recov 4k deflect.

I seen that the draconic set gives 5% pure damage reduction to myself and party members and I was thinking this would be more than 25% more defence and 15% more attack or not with the skill into the fray. Just wondering as the new set stats have higher hp and stats than knight captains and I'm not sure if a better buff or not. I seen that the range is only 50 instead of the 150 from knights captain set using knights valor.

Jamdan Thornback from Once upon a time guild.
Post edited by jimmygee1 on

Comments

• effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    knight capitan would be good, but if you already have a good party, high general sounds good too me..
    draconic isn't worth it for gf..
  • jimmygee1jimmygee1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't think you understand what I mean.
  • inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, that 5% DR is for allies only and doesn't apply to you, so the DR bonus would not give your group an extra 3.75% damage from into the fray. As for the 5% DR your allies get it's a case-by-case scenario..............to a CW with 1000 defense, 250 more won't make much of a difference, but 5% straight damage reduction on top of the 50% intercepted by Knights Valor may be more noticeable. OTOH, someone with higher defense like a GWF or a DC may appreciate the extra defense. 15% more power to the group is the one you don't want to give up, draconic has nothing group-related to compete with it.

The draconic set will give you more personal power, but nobody cares about GF damage anyway except for the DC trying not to be last on the paingiver.

The draconic set DOES have overload slots so that can be fun but you'll still do baby tap damage in pve. Overload stuff can be great in pvp, but you'll want a black ice set over draconic for pvp every time.

I use draconic personally for the overload slots and the extra stats, but knights captain is great too.
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I would honestly go with a more tanky set. If you doing it for dungeons and pve content then make sure you can survive as well as possible to keep the powers up. I would say 5.5k defense is way too much bro, you wont be getting much out of 1.5k of that so i would say go to max 4k defense and your dr wont change much but you can put the stats on someone more useful like hp or regen/lifesteal. Also 5k recovery and 4k deflect is a little too high. Around 3k deflect is good and same for recovery with your build would be perfect.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jimmygee1jimmygee1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thank you guys
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I really can't understand Knight's Captain anymore. You don't feel so much squishier when you KC in epic content? You don't get enough deeps to make up for the fact that it is so much harder to stay alive.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    inthere23 wrote: »
    Well, that 5% DR is for allies only and doesn't apply to you.

Who said this?

I tested it, It does apply to you, It just doesnt show up on character sheet because it's a buff/aura. and its a flat +5%.

The good thing about draconic, is it's an offensive set of gear, it has around 700 ArP and nice chunk of power, which makes it quite a useful set, and some regen letting you gem/equip for other things.

The other thing are the overload slots. With the new glyphs they act like another set bonus. You can stack green dragon glyphs if you want more deflect and get a damage aura which can help with grabbing new adds or black dragon if you want more crit, etc and do some customisation. Stacking the same glyphs gives you very nice uptime on them.

The bad thing is the low defense and deflect (but interms of pure mitigation the aura makes up for it.)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    I would say 5.5k defense is way too much bro, you wont be getting much out of 1.5k of that so i would say go to max 4k defense and your dr wont change much but you can put the stats on someone more useful like hp or regen/lifesteal. Also 5k recovery and 4k deflect is a little too high. Around 3k deflect is good and same for recovery with your build would be perfect.

Yeah, I was about to mention this too but I felt my post was too long already so I tried to keep things brief, great advice. My defense is about 4600 which is still too high but it's more of a mental thing with me because I wanted my DR at 50% my deflect is at 33.6% but I have 6k power. I've seen GF's with 7k defense and only about 53% DR, kind of annoying for me to see because some even have sub 1k power.

My recovery is only about 1700 but everything still seems to refresh super fast so go figure. I'm tactician so dailies go off twice, sometimes even 3-4 times a fight. Can't really comment on the deflect because mine is pretty high too, heh.
    grimah wrote: »
    Who said this?

I tested it, It does apply to you, It just doesnt show up on character sheet because it's a buff/aura. and its a flat +5%.

That's great to know, thanks! I just read it in the tool tips and didn't see it on the character sheet. So it's kind of like the 20%DR that you get from knights valor that ALSO doesn't show up on the character sheet. Sooooooooooo draconic+KV=25% extra DR for the GF, I feel like fighting now!
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC