test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP 101 - help needed for a newb

shikumishikumi Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hey guys, I'm in need of some serious help here. I've crossed over from a PvE game, have never played a PvP based game in my life and would really like to participate in PvP for dailies etc. I'm a trickster rouge (current lvl21) and I don't even have a basic idea concerning tactics, common courtesy or teamwork (bad, right?). I do realise everyone has their own opinion based on builds and play styles, but considering that I'm a complete blank book on this I'd like to fill my first few pages with sensible advice from players who knows what they're doing.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• urkmockingjayurkmockingjay Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    The basics (as I see it, I tend to play CW, so my rogue specific is from the perspective of being attacked by them)

1. Gear. Keep your gear current. At level 20 the venders in the market place sell blue items that would be useful to you and are fairly inexpensive.

2. Gear #2. Do not be surprised to encounter people with gear that is scalable from level 1 to 60, and that have enchants. Some of this gear even allows using weapon enchants which makes a huge difference in how much damage one can put out. (These are not inexpensive, but can often be found on the auction house if you want to persue getting one. Perhaps the dragon bone blues would be useful if you do not want to upgrade your gear regularly towards level 60. At level 60 you really want he starting epic pvp gear, but at least good blues, preferably with tenacity.) Do not get discouraged, you will loose a lot of matches at first, and will also be collecting glory to use to buy pvp gear. You may want to consider hoarding it for use at level 60 and just manage as you level with what you can buy for AD or get from quests and dungeons.

3. Enchants. It depends on what you feel will help you most, but if you have an enchant slot put something in it as every little bit helps. Remember it costs to remove enchants, so think about this. As rogue who wants to kill with burst, I would think that crit and armor pen would be useful. Defense slots stack deflect or defense or extra life. (I am under the impression that deflect is very useful to a rogue and his abilities, but check the rogue forums for builds and advice specific to that.)

4. Of course you want to have high dexterity and I would think as much hit points (constution) so soak damage.

5. When you do your level 21 artifact quest I suggest a waters artifact as It will be a useful heal in pvp and does not suffer from healing depression.

6. Movement. If you do not have a mount, do skirmishes during the skirmish hour and you get 1000 AD per chest. A 50% mount on the AH typically costs you about 3k ad, perhaps less. Or you can farm and sell things to venders until you get 5 gold to purchase one. Most serious PVP's seek the 110% mount of some type to get from point to point faster.

7. Movement. Quite honestly if you are standing still you are just inviging a CW to choke you and burn you down, Other players do it different ways. Stealth is your friend, and there are "builds" that help you stay invisible almost all the time. Most pvp rogues seem to like this ability a lot. Also master your ability to "stun lock" people and be prepared to run away, heal up and come at them again.

8. PVP is a team, not a single 1v1 duel. A rogue can often stand on one of the 3 bases and keep in uncapped, turning invisible and leaving if needed and returning after overwhelming odds leave to uncap / cap it again.

9. To win matches your side must control 2 nodes at least 51% of the time. It isn't about kills, it is about doing what it takes to make that happen to gain wins. These wins at level 60 will get you seals of triumph which are needed along with glory to purchase better levels of pvp gear.

10. When you fight, it should always be about keeping people off a node, capturing or defending a node, or luring others off a node so someone else can cap it. Learn to read what your team is doing, and move to increase uncapped capped nodes for your team and to prevent others from capping theirs.

11. dying is a part of pvp, expect it, and also consider if your health is almost gone, sometimes dying to keep a node uncapped a couple more seconds will move your score forward from a capped node else where, and also when you rez you have full health again, and can move to your teams node fairly fast. This may help if your node is captured, but as a rogue you can also sneak over and uncap the opposing teams node. THis means that if you cap it you will help your team make points, and if you uncap it at least the other team isn't getting points from it while you are contesting it (stand on node moves it from capped to contested to capped by your side.

12. The talk in /party chat in pvp is often pretty vicious from your team. I tend to just ignore it. While you may not want to do so if someone takes the "general" job and starts giving orders, sometimes it is better to work with a poor plan than no plan. Expect a lot of ugly talk. May I suggest you do not respond, or participate it that. It lacks class.

13. As a low level pvp player, staying alive is more important than putting out maximum damage unless you have access to the "elite" gear some long time players can supply their toons with. health, and defense / deflect are your friends. Running away and dodging etc is useful. Knowing how other classes play and what they are likely to do is also important / useful. Being prepared to take advantage of a CW for example that just blew all his cooldowns and ice knifed someone else means that for several seconds they are vulnerable to your attack. THey typically have 3 good dodges in them at most. THey will try to CC you and to dodge your opening stuns.

14. Expect a good team to attempt to 2v1 someone or more if they can manage it.

15 Remember sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. It is just a game, don't let it eat at you. Focus on the knowledge that once you get to level 60 and start getting tenacity pvp gear you will be come more effective. Also I hear that rogue abilities and such are getting some love the next mod, so even if it seams like you are weak at the moment, I expect that to change in a few months.

Disclamer. I would say I am a middle of the road pvp player, I know how to play, and I know what needs to be done. Doesn't mean I'm pro at always doing it.

Fight for the nodes, don't get sucked into fighting between bases if you are behind in points, or don't have at least two nodes capped. Sometime then it works to tie up the other team from uncapping your bases.

I play Klora in the game, if you run into me, holler Hi.

Also remember that kindness opens friendships which opens guild invites, and knowledge that will help you play better and get better gear.

Peace to you and enjoy the game.

P. S.,

A lot of people guard their "secrets" about pvp hoping it will give them an "edge" I tend to try to share what I have dug out for myself or learned over time. Talking with some rogue that did really amazing in a pvp match could net you a lot of specifics on how to do better, adjust your build, gear etc.

As for any help this post gives you. If you can "Pay it Forward" with the next guy.

Klora CW Spell storm, Freeze ya for now)
  • shikumishikumi Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014
    Wow, I'll be taking the time to read through everything properly, all of a sudden I don't feel lost anymore! Thanks a bunch!
  • exandresexandres Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15
    edited September 2014
    I really doubt he's Whisperknife at level 21.

You want to be good pvp player? Go Master Infiltrator, stack Recovery and try to go permastealth. Also, be a pain in the *** and contest every node possible. They have 3? Go 3. Node that has an enemy on it doesn't give any points. Just stand on it and block off their points. And hope your team can keep the fight out of 1 and kill them at 2. The rest you can figure out on your own. Also, don't be too aggresive. It's not all about kills. Keep your kill/death ratio high, don't rush in a fight you can lose. Also, try to learn to aim Duelist Flurry every single time in pvp. You can always just hop in, Lashing Blade from Stealth to get a kill, get out. Rinse and repeat.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Try a Trickster Blue they are much better then the Trickster Rouge.
  • trill34trill34 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks to urkmockingjay and Magenubbie for the advice, it's very helpful. I also found this to be useful.
  • shikumishikumi Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014
    trill34 wrote: »
    Thanks to urkmockingjay and Magenubbie for the advice, it's very helpful. I also found this to be useful.

Yes, I must agree, the "PVP Basic Tactics For All" guide was really useful, it gives a good overview on team dynamics and basic rules of engagement. Thank you very much for all of the advice guys, I'll be doing some proper research on builds now (probably a little too late at lvl21 right? :p) and will be having my @ss handed to me as well as dishing it out, all in the name of enjoying the game (^^,)