test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trapper - Ancient Roots

djmackendjmacken Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Wilds
I was wondering if anyone else has much experience with this feat?

Effectively it seems to reduce your DPS from thorned roots significantly. (note: not overall damage, potentionally)

It extends the control duration (which is awesome) but makes thorned roots much weaker.

Does anyone know if thorned roots can stack? For example if you apply a strong root in ranged mode, switch to melee and apply another strong root? Will you get two stacks of throned roots? I am too broke to respec to test, and dont have test client installed, yet.
Post edited by djmacken on

Comments

• gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    djmacken wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone else has much experience with this feat?

Effectively it seems to reduce your DPS from thorned roots significantly. (note: not overall damage, potentionally)

It extends the control duration (which is awesome) but makes thorned roots much weaker.

Does anyone know if thorned roots can stack? For example if you apply a strong root in ranged mode, switch to melee and apply another strong root? Will you get two stacks of throned roots? I am too broke to respec to test, and dont have test client installed, yet.

It does. Each application of Thorned Roots is separate, and deals its own damage. If you want to test just copy your character to the preview server. Respecs on preview are free of charge and you can do your tests there.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • djmackendjmacken Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Awesome, thank you!

So with that said do you feel it is worth taking this feat even though it will effectively lower DPS? The full damage over 2s is quite nice at the moment. (overall damage is the same)
    edited September 2014
    Awesome, thank you!

So with that said do you feel it is worth taking this feat even though it will effectively lower DPS? The full damage over 2s is quite nice at the moment. (overall damage is the same)

Honestly, Ancient Roots is basically the only reason to take Trapper. Trapper is not for DPS races, it is for soloing and added control via Constrictive/Hindering. If you look at DPS both Archer and Combat are better.
  • djmackendjmacken Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It does. Each application of Thorned Roots is separate, and deals its own damage. If you want to test just copy your character to the preview server. Respecs on preview are free of charge and you can do your tests there.

I logged on to the test shard to check it out and I did not find what you said to be true.

I used constricting arrow / hindering strike quickly and would only see one stack applied. To me it seems like thorned roots does NOT stack.
  • bremillardbremillard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I used constricting arrow / hindering strike quickly and would only see one stack applied. To me it seems like thorned roots does NOT stack.

That's correct. It can easily be tested with dummies and ACT. If you activate a second Thorned Roots while the first one is active, it will simply overwrite the first one, as we can see below.

78r0iRc.png?1

The initial Thorned Roots only got to tick three time before the second one took effect.

Conclusion, if you are using a fast rotation, Ancient Roots will lower your total damage. It's a tradeoff.
    edited September 2014
    bremillard wrote: »
    That's correct. It can easily be tested with dummies and ACT. If you activate a second Thorned Roots while the first one is active, it will simply overwrite the first one, as we can see below.

78r0iRc.png?1

The initial Thorned Roots only got to tick three time before the second one took effect.

Conclusion, if you are using a fast rotation, Ancient Roots will lower your total damage. It's a tradeoff.

It was not like this on preview testing. Thanks for correcting me.
  • soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It was not like this on preview testing. Thanks for correcting me.

and I'm correcting your about dps: trapper is dps path actually and Ancient Roots is worst feat which only reduces dps and nothing more

second worst feat is Serpent's Bite if you stormwarden, because storm step action leads to better dps
  • bremillardbremillard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    soriniakov wrote: »
    and I'm correcting your about dps: trapper is dps path actually and Ancient Roots is worst feat which only reduces dps and nothing more

Well, that's your opinion. I've tested both builds extensively in real combat situation, not just on dummies, and the drop in DPS is really not that significant. The CC provided by the extended roots result in better damage from RoA. In some situations, it will even increase your DPS (through RoA) if you're able to keep the mobs tightly packed.

And although it's not as good CC as some other classes, the added versatility is well worth a small drop in DPS. It not like I have shotage of that anyway.
  • soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bremillard wrote: »
    Well, that's your opinion. I've tested both builds extensively in real combat situation, not just on dummies, and the drop in DPS is really not that significant. The CC provided by the extended roots result in better damage from RoA. In some situations, it will even increase your DPS (through RoA) if you're able to keep the mobs tightly packed.

And although it's not as good CC as some other classes, the added versatility is well worth a small drop in DPS. It not like I have shotage of that anyway.

I'm talking about solo target or player