test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

wanting advice on pve/sometimes pvp GF build

intoxicatedknighintoxicatedknigh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
edited September 2014 in The Militia Barracks
I have wanted to play a GF for a long time but their lack of desire in dungeons, I always made me stay away, now that knights valor and such seems to offer an incentive to want a GF I decided to try one out , my first try didn't feel right to me so already deleted. starting from scratch what would be the best race for a GF Dwarf was my choice and I liked it to an extent but to my surprise it didn't feel strong compared to other GF's , so break it down for ya ...

Best stat roll for what race would anyone recommend?
Sword master or iron vanguard?
and what should the bar look like and rotation ,

I have been reading forums some powers are bugged like griffons wrath? could use advice on that too

oh and I don't want some bugged build that i been hearing about involving a certain glyph.

any help tid bits advice is appreciated , also in case it's mentioned, yes i am reading the guides posted but most are pre mod 2 even .
~Angus BullGod - Swordmaster GWF~
~Vladimar Zul - Fury build SW ~
~Takadump onzcrapper - Iron vangaurd GF~
Post edited by intoxicatedknigh on

Comments

• thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Hello.

My GF is dual-purposes. I solo queue PVP and have a 3:1 kill-death ratio and a 1.5:1 win-loss ratio, which indicates a fair degree of success. I can also easily complete end-game dungeons such as CN, VT and MC.

Race: Human. I just prefer humans but Dwarves and Half-Orcs are good choices as well. Elves work for high-recovery GFs and Tieflings are good for DPS GFs. Halfling for the PVP min-maxer.

Base roll: (As a Human) 16 STR, 18 CON, 12 DEX. Final roll without buffs; 18 STR, 24 CON, 18 DEX. I personally feel this keeps me covered in all areas.

Paragon: Iron Vanguard. For me it is all about Threatening Rush. Threat generation on demand and superior mobility vs a Swordmaster.

Path: Tactician. It builds AP like crazy, for both yourself and your party. In a place like CN with KV on I can perma daily. You and your party get rewarded by being hit. Also ties in nicely with Iron Vanguard as one of the Tactician's feats (Daunting Challenge) ties in with Threatening Rush and mark spamming allows me to maintain perma debuffs on mobs. Tactician also allows you to pop off dailies rapidly in PVP without running the gimmick KV build, which I loathe.

http://nwcalc.com/gf?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,1li353i:100000:15u000:1zu00v&h=1&p=ivn

Solo PVE rotation:
    At-wills: Cleave and Threatening Rush. I switch to Crushing Surge and Tide of Iron if I have to fight a single, tough target such as a Fomorian in Sharandar, a Giant in IWD or one of the Dragons.
    Passives: Combat Superiority and Guarded Assault or Trample the Fallen
    Encounters: Lunging Strike, Frontline Surge, Enforced Threat, Anvil of Doom and Griffon's Wrath. Lunging is always on, but the others are switched depending on the enemy and area. Enforced Threat and Frontline can wipe out the trash in Sharandar and Dread Ring with ease, but in a place like IWD I find Griffon's and Anvil better against the tougher mobs. Griffon also stuns things like Bear Riders and Yetis, so you can interrupt their charge attacks and roars which stops them proning and stunning you. Also, Griffon's and Frontline are feated to allow my follow up attacks to do more damage.
    Dailies: Villain's Menace/Terrifying Impact and Fighter's Recovery (for just in case)

Group PVE rotation:
    At-wills: Cleave and Threatening Rush
    Passives: Guarded Assault and Shield Talent. A lot more blocking in group play, so I feel I need to maximise my guard, so Shield Talent. Guarded Assault ties in with KV and when you block you are returning damage across the room.
    Encounters: Knight's Valor, Enforced Threat and Into the Fray.
    Dailies: Supremacy of Steel and Fighter's Recovery. Again, with KV you will be spraying swords all over the dungeon.

I find KV+Supremacy+Tactician to be formidable in a dungeon. AP generation is insane for both myself and the party. I'm talking DCs and CWs having enough AP to drop a Hallowed Ground, Oppressive Force or Singularity on every mob in CN. In my case Supremacy will be active and I already have enough AP to fire it again.

PVP rotation:
    Off the bat, I DO NOT use the KV cheese build.
    At-wills: Crushing Surge and Threatening Rush. Surge hits harder than Cleave in terms of single target but be careful, it is slow and very rarely will you have the chance to swing more than once as smart people do not stand still, so you can get caught in animation lock swinging at fresh air.
    Passives: Guarded Assault and Shield Talent. You will be blocking a lot, so may as well return some of the damage and increase the duration of guard.
    Encounters: Lunging Strike, Bull Charge and Anvil of Doom. I Bull Charge my opponent, Lunging Strike to him, Anvil (which is feated to a stun) and then I get a few free hits in on him before he can move again. Serves me well, as I pointed out, I am a Tactian with 3 times as many kills as deaths. It is not uncommon for me to finish matches with double-digit kills.
    Dailies: Villain's Menace and Supremacy of Steel. Villain's is great when dealing with most things one v one or if you are facing a CW-heavy party and need to avoid perma control. It is buggy at the moment and you can occasionally be controlled through it, but still better than nothing. I use Supremacy when dealing with two or more people or when facing a Scourge Warlock. He dumps his DOTs on me I activate Supremacy and return the favour. I also use Supremacy on TRs. I wait for him to activate Duelist Flurry and then kick it in. He gets a mouthful of steel when his bleed and Bile/Plague procs kick in. A bonus against TRs: The shooting swords also allow me to track him when he is in stealth. ;)

As for Griffon's Wrath, yeah, it does tend to fire off twice when you only hit it once. Can be very frustrating.

Gear wise: Knight Captain in dungeons, Timeless Hero in solo play and Profound Preserver in PVP. Would love the Purified Black Ice in PVP, but the RNG hates me. You can easily get the Dread Legion weapon set once you unlock Valindra's Tower, but I use Ancient Grand Knight as it helps round my stats out. Waters of Elah'zad, Sigil of the Great Weapon and Lantern of Revelation are my artifacts. I also have a Bloodcrystal if I feel I need to eek out a little more regen and recovery.

In PVE dungeon gear I have 4k power, 2k crit, 2k arpen, 2.5k recovery, 4k defence (48% DR), 1k deflection (around 20%), 10% regen and 10% life steal. Do not underestimate life steal on a GF. With KV+Enforced Threat+Supremacy you can self heal like a machine. My healing output exceeds that of a DC in CN thanks to regen and the way life steal synergises with my rotation.

Hope you find some value somewhere there.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • intoxicatedknighintoxicatedknigh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited September 2014
    well you practilly posted me an entire build so I am pretty sure it will help allot and thank you.
  • drizztfohldrizztfohl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nm. found stats
  • drizztfohldrizztfohl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thayan boons, sharandar boons?
    edited September 2014
    drizztfohl wrote: »
    thayan boons, sharandar boons?

Prioritise offensive and guard/stamina boons where you can.

Sharandar: 250 power, 250 crit, 700 HP, Elven Ferocity, Elven Resolve

Dread Ring: +125 cirt & movement, 250 regen, 250 arpen, Enraged Regrowth, Augmented Thayan Bastion or Endless Consumption

IWD: 250 AOE resist, 250 Guard gain, 250 recovery, Cool Resolve, Winter's Bounty

Tyranny of Dragons: 200 power, 200 crit, 200 arpen, 200 life steal if your regen is at 10%, Not sure where I would go with the final boon here.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • halmundhalmund Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like this build a lot. What have you been using as enchantments? I've gone max HP in defense slots and recovery in offense. Think I'm being too defensive?
  • lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My new PvE/PvP GF build is almost complete!! =O!!!!
    edited September 2014
    halmund wrote: »
    I like this build a lot. What have you been using as enchantments? I've gone max HP in defense slots and recovery in offense. Think I'm being too defensive?

In my PVE gear I use Savage enchantments in defensive slots and they give HP and Life Steal. We stack HP really easily now thanks to the CON bonus we got in Mod 4, so some Life Steal in your defensive slots won't hurt at all once you are over 36k HP. In my offensive slots I use Radiants. I am at a fairly high gear level and have max boons and purple artifacts, so my stat priorities may be a little different to yours. But I think recovery in your offensive slots is not a bad idea at all. If you can get to around 2.5k recovery you are in a really good place. I would personally stop at 3k.

In my PVP gear all Radiants (HP) in my defensive slots. HP is one of the most important stats in PVP. In my offensive slots I use Dark enchantments for armour penetration.
  • intoxicatedknighintoxicatedknigh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited September 2014
    hey staggy why dont you post this build up in a guide its very nice and seems to work well. and has developed a following it seems hehe.
  • arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So you're still using Knight Captain in your armor rotation? I wasn't sure whether the slight decrease in AC/stats (and potential survivability) would offset the benefit to the rest of the group...

Thanks for the build, Staggy... it looks great!
  • tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    arinathos wrote: »
    So you're still using Knight Captain in your armor rotation? I wasn't sure whether the slight decrease in AC/stats (and potential survivability) would offset the benefit to the rest of the group...

Group member marvel at their damage outputs with Into the fray and Captains set running at the same time. I am still curious how much of a boost it would be.
    edited September 2014
    arinathos wrote: »

I have no issues with KC and survivability. As mentioned, I complete CN and VT with KV on full time and rarely need a potion. Life Steal is your friend when coupled with KV, Supremacy of Steel and Enforced Threat. In most T2s I do not need to pot once. In my last Karrundax run with a party of 10-12ks I never used a single potion and if you know Karrundax you know the amount of red AOEs bosses 1 and 2 can dump on the floor. I just sit there, eat red, reflect it back and self-heal. In a typical VT and CN run if I take more than 6 health pots that is a lot.

Remember, I also take the +5 AC feat from the Protector tree as well, so even with T1 gear my damage resistance sits at 48%.

Also, a bit of a Pro Tip: Because Knight's Valor is always active it results in almost 100% up time of the Knight Captain's buff! +15% damage and +25% DR that is always applied to your party? I'll take that.
    edited September 2014
    hey staggy why dont you post this build up in a guide its very nice and seems to work well. and has developed a following it seems hehe.

Thanks. I will see what I can come up with.