test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I am having trouble to understand why still we dont have "Power Bar Swapping"

slarinnslarinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
Seriously. Help me to understand please. And write your thoughts. I believe it is extremely needed and so simple to add extra power bars.
Forwhy, we use our characters in different places. For example with my GWF, I do AoE damage in dungeons, on single targets (like valindra) I use different powers. In pvp I change my Active powers everytime.
For CW even worse. You have to change whole power bar everytime you do different activities. Its annoying and time consuming. Until Valindra you do AoE dps and control, at Valindra you change all powers. If you decide to do some pvp after Valindra you change whole bar again. Then If you want to do some daily quests you of coure change again and so on.
Only for that reason sometimes I skip some activities, or go with current powers which is boring and annoying.

I might see what is your concern. You probably afraid to give players more powers at a time. If we use our powers after they cooldown we swap bar and continue. But we cant. For this, there is simple solution too. For example give us 4-5 power bars and put cooldown on swapping powerbars. (like 30 sec, 1-2 min maybe) and also when we use our powers put cooldowns to other powers too (which in other bar).

I see this power bar swapping almost every MMORPG I played. Even in very old games. And again, I dont understand why we dont have in Neverwinter. I am surely know that if you add bar swapping, you're gonna make happy a lot of players. And make game much easy to play.

Sorry if my English bad.
Post edited by slarinn on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would love for a build swap bar, at least 3 slots, personally. It's funny they created that system in Champions because they initially planned on a limited power tray, until they listened to the wrong players during testing. Now they have a system of a limited power tray but aren't using the build swap bar. It's baffling honestly.
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is so needed.

I mostly miss it when pugging. In pugs you don't really know what's the group gonna be like, are they team players, do they have gazillion wererat thieves summoned. There's no point in even having some powers (looking at you, rain of arrows) slotted when mobs are kicked all over the place and I'd like to switch my tiny aoe out for some single target power to avoid the frustration. It's tedious having to swap powers each skirmish run and mostly you don't even have time for that because your party would be halfway through the skirmish by the time you finish.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just take the time to slot what abilities I need either before I queue or after I am in the instance/dungeon/skirmish. If the group runs on ahead that's their problem. I'll say something like, "hey, need to change loadout," and if they don't wait its on them, not me.

All that being said, I do fully support the idea presented here. We should have something that allows us to switch between preset ability loadouts at the click of a button. Make us pay AD for the unlock beyond the first one, but it needs to be in game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Again, I don't see why it would be required, since it takes only 15 seconds to swap 4 slots.

depends on the situation obviously.
    this morning during skirmish hour we finished our last run in 2 sec prior closing time-gate - pure luck. i was on cw and simply skipped power-changing stuff. you know, besides 4 encounters, 1 daily, i also swap potions/pets/some jewelry..so power changing bars would definitely be utterly useful for my cw. on the other hand as a sw i change literally just 1 power and i'm ready to boss fight lol
    tho i highly doubt they could implement this thing anytime soon..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Again, I don't see why it would be required, since it takes only 15 seconds to swap 4 slots.

For me it's often 4 armour pieces, jewelry, artifacts (which is active if nothing else) - going from PVE to PVP, sometimes pet, sometimes main/off hand then powers, dailies and class features. and changing powers and class features again at boss fights/for different situations.

But everyone's needs are different.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Power Bar Switching. Great idea. Often suggested. Often ignored.

Would be great to be able to switch. I imagine it on my CW, I'd have a setup for bosses and another for everything else. I'm sure people that PvP a lot would like to have one for PvP and one for PvE.

Skills starting off on cooldown when switched and a cooldown on the power bar swap itself fixes any issues with this being abusive. I see no downside to this. Other than the development time it would take to add. They could offset that by selling the bars. Give everyone 2, then let them buy 3 and 4 for Zen.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • slarinnslarinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Exactly. The argument not to do certain activities as the OP says simply because he refuses to take 15 seconds to swap a few powers is childish at best. It's a nice to have, but definitely not mandatory for the game. Besides, when we get quick power swap, we'll demand quick gear swap next. So if they are going to work on this, they'll do both in 1 go, which requires a bit of programming. Not very high on the to-do list I imagine with all the other issues currently in the game.

Again, I don't see why it would be required, since it takes only 15 seconds to swap 4 slots. But I agree it's a nice to have.
    Well I never said it wasn't useful. But I wouldn't go as far as calling it required, that's all. They've got many and more important stuff to worry about. Still, I wouldn't say no to it if it was implemented. As long as gear swapping is prohibited during PvP matches.

I don't see your point. You say it is not required and then It would be nice to have. There is no priority list which you should suggest according to list. Of course there are a lot of things to do, so should we wait to suggest an idea until they all fixed? Also why I think it should be done? Becouse as I said, I believe it is simple to add and make much more easier to play. I am not a programmer or designer though but if players can do such a little change in HUD in open source MMO games, how could be hard for Neverwinter devs? It is not about me refusing "15 seconds" to swap bar. Don't make it like it is only about my lazzyness, :) You know it is irrevelant to discussion here. Like there is absolutely no need such a change. Yes I sometimes skip some activities. Like daily dragons after pvp. I dont know how you play but I am playing 5 character everyday. Dailies, skirmishes, pvp, solo quests, GG etc. 10 hours maybe. You may spend only "15 seconds" but I dont.
  • criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    in PWI (a PWE) game you have the option to fill 4 bars down at the bottom of the screen plus another 3 or 4 bars, movable anywhere but default on the right side of the screen, to fill them with icons from skills,potions,even gear icons to change fast your gear (out of combat of course).
    I'd like to see more than just 3 skill icons on the screen ,because i change the powers in dungeons and normal PVE dailies kills.
    As guardian fighter i don't need to aggro specially the mobs to save party members, the mobs from a pack already comes to me when doing solo dailies.
    I think they'll do something about it in the next future as long as they offer us already the chance to get extra skill points from overflow experience.
    Definitely a must more than 3 icon slots.
    Even in Star Trek Online you have more icon slots to use.
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • quollquoll Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well I never said it wasn't useful. But I wouldn't go as far as calling it required, that's all. They've got many and more important stuff to worry about. Still, I wouldn't say no to it if it was implemented. As long as gear swapping is prohibited during PvP matches.

You are assuming that the people/resources needed for changes you don't care about somehow relate to whatever "important stuff" you think needs to be prioritized. Game studios are run by professionals who can divide labor as needed without advice from us.

Odds are the people who would work on this kind of UI change have very little to do with the ones who fix bugs.
    edited September 2014
    Want to point out that this shouldn't increase the number of powers used. I think the simple combat here is perfect. We don't need to have access to more powers at the same time. The suggestion here is to be able to switch loadouts. So you don't have to click and drag each individual skill. Not adding more slots for powers.

Honestly if I did it I'd have all powers start out on a long cooldown (15-30 seconds) when switched. And put a 2 minute cooldown on the switching ability itself. Just to ensure its not used to spam extra powers.

All that said... I hope they add this.
  • karranorkarranor Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would love to have one for soloing and one for grouping. That would make life so much better. Especially post 60 when you get a full set of solo AND group Powers/Daily trained up.
    Main(s): Kyruel Foecrusher OP, Meriki The Mad CW, Mortalis TR, Gorebringer GWF, Karranor HR
    Loads of videos: Neverwinter Video Guides!
    Find Neverwinter Game Guides on DDM's Realm!

The Fyxt RPG combines digital convenience with the fun of a tabletop RPG. Play the Fyxt RPG now for free!

Play Smarter, Not Harder! ~ Karranor
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It took them a month to find the variable for dragon hoard coins. Lets take it one step at a time.
    edited September 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    It took them a month to find the variable for dragon hoard coins. Lets take it one step at a time.

ROFL... Very true, but players have been asking for this for a long time. :)
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As a DC, my powers are very different depending on what I happen to be doing. If I am doing ToD dailies for instance, I'll be running around with damage spells for the side quests, but load up with all the healing I can for the dragon encounter. It's a bit of a PitA to have to stop when that timer hits 2 min to re-slot my loadout....

Consider this a +1 for at least one additional power setup. I'd even be ok with it if it had to be done at a campfire / portable altar. Just make it a bit easier than having to swap out each power individually.
  • feedthefirefeedthefire Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2014
    I, too, don't get how can this feature still be missing in the game over 15 months after its release (even more when you count the betas). Having to swap powers all the time between bosses and general pve, let alone pvp, gets insanely tedious. And the impractical power tree layout doesn't make it any easier.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Multiple power presets/trays would be a great addition - not necessarily a "must have" or something I can't do without, but it would be a great QoL improvement.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If they do add this feature (and I do want this feature) it would improve my QoL that's for sure. I have 3 distinct setups that I use. One for PVE dps, one for PVE support/healing, and one for PVP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    and it's not something you have to do every 5 minutes during your routine gameplay

unfortunately with ToD it became as described: small quest task - aoe setup, dragon fight - single target, moving to next zone - repeat..
    that's one of the reason i've started missing days and quests..
    tho it's not absolutely necessary it'd be more than convenient for the whole playerbase..
    But there is room for improvement if they won't allow the switching of setups, like the ability to right click the skill box to bring up a list of skills to swap to.

that's a great improvement indeed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feedthefirefeedthefire Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2014
    Come off it. It's a good thing to be able to switch setups but don't eggaterate. It's not insanely tedious to do it manually. It takes 20 seconds if you're slow about it, and it's not something you have to do every 5 minutes during your routine gameplay.
    No, perhaps YOU don't have to do it every 5 mins the way you play, but do us a favor and stop generalizing based on your own experience.
    Past few weeks I've been helping a friend grind VT 2/2 as she wanted the Dread armor which is a rare drop from Val. We form quite high tier parties so we usually finish VT in about 15mins. And then go again for another run right away. That's 10 mins to get to Val and 5 mins to kill her. And we're both always switching 5 powers around in the process. Before mod4 that used to be six powers actually.

Yes it indeed does get insanely tedious.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As a CW, I need to switch powers after nearly every encounter in SoT and LoL. I'm, always lagging behind switching while others are diving into the next one. It's getting to the point where I just say screw it and don't slot control powers at all.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In STO, you can slot whole sets of gear, and switch them, and your power bar has enough slots for all your powers, and you can switch between them with hotkeys (or just make the bar bigger so all your powers are available in the UI at once -- this probably isn't possible with NW's UI real estate).

I would very much appreciate being able to slot two gear sets that can be toggled back and forth as well as at least two power bar setups that can likewise be toggled

Here's a reason. As a CW, I usually run AoE setup except in PvP. So, yes, if I'm going into PvP, I can easily manually change my powers.

However, some bosses require AoE some I DPS and in some cases, being able to do both would be preferable throughout the course of the fight. During the boss fight, it's hard if not impossible (certainly impractical) to switch your powers up and having a switchable power bar would be very very useful.

That said... this is an RPG after all, and D&D no less. Gear changes and power bar changes are sort of akin to memorizing spells and... not sure if you can REALLY change your armor in 1 second... So, there is an in-character aspect to not allowing it to be practical to reset your characters build and gear while in the middle of a fight. And making it so you can't toggle such things while ACTUALLY fighting sort of defeats the purpose, right? Since you can always just stop for 10 seconds or so and realign your toon as needed if you're not actually fighting anyway.

So, I agree: Not really a needed part of the game, but would be very useful quality-of-life enhancement. I wouldn't make it a priority one though.

** I WANT GUILD HOUSES LIKE STO's STARBASES **
    Make that a priority :)
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They really should at a minimum put in the system Defiance has with the multiple profiles that are quick swaps (quick swap action bars so you can easily go from PvE trash to PvE Boss power sets etc...)
  • gudgeonatorgudgeonator Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This would be soooo nice to have in general, and in particular for a DC. My loadouts for pve/pvp don't differ wildly on any other character, but on the DC all the encounters, both dailies, and one at-will are shuffled around depending on where i'm at. When doing several pvp queues interspersed with pve grinding, it's just extra busy work having to shuffle powers around with each context change. And this game has more than enough busy work. Give it a reasonable cooldown and there won't be mid fight power swap abuses in pvp.