test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dragons and gear drops

azjencoazjenco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I won't call myself a hardcore Neverwinter player. I do some skirmishing, but haven't done the high end dungeons, not really interested. I do a bit of my dailies in the mornings, and the rest in the evenings, switching between my two main characters, depending on my mood. I don't really have the time to sink 10+ hours into the game.

Usually, that was fine. I'd work towards the items I want, no problem.

But ever since I've started killing the last two dragons, I've found a lot of may time involves waiting for the timers to go down and then I sprint out to get some decent DPS on the dragons. I'd say I do each dragon a few times, maybe 3 to 5 times, combined between the last two. I just want to understand the logic behind this, since I really want to get to those items. How low are the drop rates? Are casual players even supposed to get the gauntlets and boots?

I have more than one character, and I really wish that there was an alternative way for these items to drop elsewhere, for instance a small chance from the Tuern skirmish's boss. Because as it stands, waiting for timers to tick down and then struggling to get a shot in as 30+ players kill a dragon in about 10 seconds, well, it just feels off.

Is this working as intended, because if so, then it feels a bit like bad design.
Post edited by azjenco on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    azjenco wrote: »
    I won't call myself a hardcore Neverwinter player. I do some skirmishing, but haven't done the high end dungeons, not really interested. I do a bit of my dailies in the mornings, and the rest in the evenings, switching between my two main characters, depending on my mood. I don't really have the time to sink 10+ hours into the game.

But since I started doing the dragons, I've found a lot of may time involves waiting for the timers to go down and then I sprint out to get some decent DPS on the dragons. I'd say I do each dragon a few times, maybe 3 to 5 times. I just want to understand the logic behind this, since I really want to get to those items. How low are the drop rates? Are casual players even supposed to get the gauntlets and boots?

I have more than one character, and I really wish there was an alternative way to get them also. Because as it stands, waiting for timers to tick down and then struggling to get a shot in as 30+ players kill a dragon in about 10 seconds feels off. Is this working as intended, because if so, then it feels a bit like bad design.
    Here's what I can tell you about the draconic gloves and boots. I've gotten a between 100-120 great successes in the rothe valley and whispering caverns. From that I've gotten 9 gloves and 2 boots. (most were run in RV) I have yet to talk to someone that got anything from an encounter completed. (I've also gotten some other things from the other dragons as well but, in terms of what you asked for there it is.)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Here's what I can tell you about the draconic gloves and boots. I've gotten a between 100-120 great successes in the rothe valley and whispering caverns. From that I've gotten 9 gloves and 2 boots. (most were run in RV) I have yet to talk to someone that got anything from an encounter completed. (I've also gotten some other things from the other dragons as well but, in terms of what you asked for there it is.)

What do you need to do in order to get a great success though? Mine usually just states success, not great success. I'm always there from the start of the fight, and I use all my abilities as soon as they come off cooldown. Both my characters have over 11'000 GS, wearing Dread Ring purples. So they're not really lagging behind in firepower.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    What do you need to do in order to get a great success though? Mine usually just states success, not great success. I'm always there from the start of the fight, and I use all my abilities as soon as they come off cooldown. Both my characters have over 11'000 GS, wearing Dread Ring purples. So they're not really lagging behind in firepower.

There is a threshold that you have to meet in any of these categories, damage done, damage taken, healing done. The dread ring purples are even or worse than stat tailored blues though, they'll let you start farming for good gear, so unfortunately I'd say you are behind in firepower. GS as a number doesn't mean anything if it's put together with the wrong stats.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    There is a threshold that you have to meet in any of these categories, damage done, damage taken, healing done. The dread ring purples are even or worse than stat tailored blues though, they'll let you start farming for good gear, so unfortunately I'd say you are behind in firepower. GS as a number doesn't mean anything if it's put together with the wrong stats.

Alright, I see what you mean. Where do these blues drop, is there a place I should look, or should I buy them of the AH? Which is actually something I'd rather avoid.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Alright, I see what you mean. Where do these blues drop, is there a place I should look, or should I buy them of the AH? Which is actually something I'd rather avoid.

Blues are random drops, it's a matter of finding ones with the right affixes that will help your build the most. Even then you're going to have problems though as it's balanced for someone in a t2 set imo.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    On the positive side, it seems they actually did what many people, including myself have requested, and that is to reduce the player-per-instance limit in the Whispering Caverns down to 20 (from 40). The effect of this is to make it much, much easier for people to get "Great Success", and hopefully that should improve the drop rate a bit.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    On the positive side, it seems they actually did what many people, including myself have requested, and that is to reduce the player-per-instance limit in the Whispering Caverns down to 20 (from 40). The effect of this is to make it much, much easier for people to get "Great Success", and hopefully that should improve the drop rate a bit.

It's a good start, but I'd like them to place a limit on invites, as well. Maybe disallow it when a dragon timer is less than 7 minutes, or completely prohibit players from inviting people when you're in the dragon area. Because I still see 30 odd players in a zone, going far over the limit of 20...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Blues are random drops, it's a matter of finding ones with the right affixes that will help your build the most. Even then you're going to have problems though as it's balanced for someone in a t2 set imo.

Well, that sort of ruins the whole experience. It really makes it impossible for people with okay gear to get these items, especially with how unevenly broken the dragon fights are at the moment. Think about it. If there are ten casual players at the dragon fight and five hardcore players show up, then what you're basically saying is that those ten players have no chance of ever getting a great success.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ... then what you're basically saying is that those ten players have no chance of ever getting a great success.

They would have a lower chance....based on the (very limited) data I have collected, "Great Success" is not necessary, but seem to triple (could be double or quadruple, though) your chances of getting a purple drop. You still have a chance, though, even if you just get "encounter completed" - it is just much lower.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    sugarliessugarlies Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited September 2014
    Does anyone know how this actually works?

For example, for a GF, you have to take the highest damage from the people there? So if people die left and right in red or if you move out of red and block or use damage reduction cooldowns, you're screwed?
    Or do you have to have a certain amount taken? So if the dragon dies in 5 seconds you simply don't have enough time to take damage?

Would wearing no gear and sitting in all red and using no cooldowns (being bad overall) help get a Great Success?
  • Options
    janrdoh1janrdoh1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you want decent gear to help towards better gear then you should start doing pvp domination .It may take a while to earn enough glory to buy the gear but you will get there if you stick with it .Don't worry if you suck and your gear is low you might be on the opposing team so you will be an easy kill for me lol .
    Another + to doing the pvp is that you will get AD from the Rhix daily and some more from the guy inside the domination building if you actually win a match (I forget his name but its the first guy you walk into inside .
    I started pvp with pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear and had a full set in two weeks only playing casually .
    You can also try and get in on Cloak Tower and Cragmire Cripts Dungeon delves for some ok T1 gear .
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well, that sort of ruins the whole experience. It really makes it impossible for people with okay gear to get these items, especially with how unevenly broken the dragon fights are at the moment. Think about it. If there are ten casual players at the dragon fight and five hardcore players show up, then what you're basically saying is that those ten players have no chance of ever getting a great success.
    We have very different definitions of ok. Sorry but me and you will probably never agree on this.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Y'all have pretty much summed up everything the devs told us about HE in live stream play with the DEVs and as well a couple of dev comments in the forums. Charonus pretty much hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    janrdoh1 wrote: »
    If you want decent gear to help towards better gear then you should start doing pvp domination .It may take a while to earn enough glory to buy the gear but you will get there if you stick with it .Don't worry if you suck and your gear is low you might be on the opposing team so you will be an easy kill for me lol .
    Another + to doing the pvp is that you will get AD from the Rhix daily and some more from the guy inside the domination building if you actually win a match (I forget his name but its the first guy you walk into inside .
    I started pvp with pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear and had a full set in two weeks only playing casually .
    You can also try and get in on Cloak Tower and Cragmire Cripts Dungeon delves for some ok T1 gear .

This. I've run PVE in Profound gear for quite some time
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited September 2014

But ever since I've started killing the last two dragons, I've found a lot of may time involves waiting for the timers to go down and then I sprint out to get some decent DPS on the dragons. I'd say I do each dragon a few times, maybe 3 to 5 times, combined between the last two. I just want to understand the logic behind this, since I really want to get to those items. How low are the drop rates? Are casual players even supposed to get the gauntlets and boots?

I have more than one character, and I really wish that there was an alternative way for these items to drop elsewhere, for instance a small chance from the Tuern skirmish's boss. Because as it stands, waiting for timers to tick down and then struggling to get a shot in as 30+ players kill a dragon in about 10 seconds, well, it just feels off.

Is this working as intended, because if so, then it feels a bit like bad design.

Man, I'll give it to you straight. You can get T2 armor from PVP - how good you are for PVE in it is another story that you alone must write. You can get at least x2 pcs T3 Black ice gear from IWD grind.

It all boils down to this - to be super equipped with items in this game you either are:

- a veteran player who might have had his hand in some exploits along the way
    - or a casual who drops some cash for Zen from time to time

In Neverwinter there is no such thing as a casual ( 1-2 hours after work ) player who also has good gear let alone bis gear. The things that really make a difference in Nvw are either behind a time wall or a pay wall or both. So take your pick my man and lets go :)
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Honestly the Dragons and such aren't that hard. If you get in an instance that's not overcrowded you can get a "great success" with bad gear. And you have a chance at the drops without great success, its just less. The big thing is making sure you dodge the attacks so you don't spend any time down and not contributing.

I've been farming the Rothe dragon. I didn't keep count, but I'd guess I killed that dragon several hundred times. You mentioned the gauntlets, my suggestion is to just buy the Gauntlets. They are on the AH for dirt cheap because people don't want them. They are farming the belts and getting those instead. They as still kind of rare though. I only found 3 gauntlets in all those fights. Plenty of bones though.

I can't say much about the WC dragon. But I'd assume it would be much the same. They might be higher, but I'm sure its still more reasonable to just buy the boots on the AH than spend days farming them.

The exception of course is the Scourge Warlock. Most gear for that class is kind of high still. And of course if you are farming the Dragon for an artifact, then you might as well wait. I'm sure you'd get several of the gloves/boots before you get an artifact or belt.

As for the dragons themselves. They seem to be living longer. The patch notes said they upped their health. Not quite sure how, but it seems to have worked. Me and two others were still able to take down a dragon. But a full instance now takes a couple minutes. At least for the ones I was in last night. Hopefully this will let more people get the "great success" they are wanting.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR