test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stormwarden or Pathfinder?

refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Wilds
~
I have not played my Rangers for a long, long time and all their feats have been reset.

I have a Wood Elf Stormwarden level 60 and a Halfling with no Paragon chosen at about level 59.

What is the most survivable class for PvP? Any links to builds for Module 4 gratefully received.

And after choosing the Paragon, should I go for Archer, Combat or Trapper?

I like the idea of an Archer, but I'm thinking I should also make something of the Halfling's Deflect bonus.

Cheers!
Post edited by refracted0dawn on

Comments

• Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    ~
    I have not played my Rangers for a long, long time and all their feats have been reset.

I have a Wood Elf Stormwarden level 60 and a Halfling with no Paragon chosen at about level 59.

What is the most survivable class for PvP? Any links to builds for Module 4 gratefully received.

And after choosing the Paragon, should I go for Archer, Combat or Trapper?

I like the idea of an Archer, but I'm thinking I should also make something of the Halfling's Deflect bonus.

Cheers!

Combat is 100 times better for pvp than archer. The dot dmg can kill any player in seconds, even if you gs is very low you could kill a high gs player fast. Plus the regen from combat keeps you alive and makes it the most tanky path too.

My hr has 12.3k gs atm and i beat most 17k+ gs gf and gwf players and I haven't lost against a ranged hr spec yet.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    Combat is 100 times better for pvp than archer. The dot dmg can kill any player in seconds, even if you gs is very low you could kill a high gs player fast. Plus the regen from combat keeps you alive and makes it the most tanky path too.

My hr has 12.3k gs atm and i beat most 17k+ gs gf and gwf players and I haven't lost against a ranged hr spec yet.

That is much exaggeration there. I bet 1kk or whatever amount you want that you could not beat a well specced and played 17k+ GF or GWF with ur 12k HR. You are probably quite low ELO with ur HR so u are put against some bad very bad high gs pve players then.
    Try GODMODE, Valar, Mouz, Arcanty with ur HR.
    But there are actually very few good GF and even GWF players out there.

@OP: Pathfinder is the way to go for pvp at the moment. Do not believe everything you read in the forum about HRs. There DoTs dont kill anyone in seconds. The high burst dmg comes from the combat path with piercing blade, cap stone, boars charge and fox shift. Also rapid strike has very nice burst.
    The DoTs of course are an essential part of the build, especially the atwill careful attack to generate constant AP and maximize the combat cap stone.
    Unfortunatelly there are no good guides out there. Or I just havent noticed them.
    Learn by urself or ask some expierinced HRs ;)
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    That is much exaggeration there. I bet 1kk or whatever amount you want that you could not beat a well specced and played 17k+ GF or GWF with ur 12k HR. You are probably quite low ELO with ur HR so u are put against some bad very bad high gs pve players then.
    Try GODMODE, Valar, Mouz, Arcanty with ur HR.
    But there are actually very few good GF and even GWF players out there.

@OP: Pathfinder is the way to go for pvp at the moment. Do not believe everything you read in the forum about HRs. There DoTs dont kill anyone in seconds. The high burst dmg comes from the combat path with piercing blade, cap stone, boars charge and fox shift. Also rapid strike has very nice burst.
    The DoTs of course are an essential part of the build, especially the atwill careful attack to generate constant AP and maximize the combat cap stone.
    Unfortunatelly there are no good guides out there. Or I just havent noticed them.
    Learn by urself or ask some expierinced HRs ;)

Most of the gf you listed are in the same range as mine and yes I would stand no chance of course but I didnt say top pvp guardian fighters lol.

With my 12k hr I do dom sometimes and icewind a lot and yes I beat players with much much higher gs. I have also tested a lot with other hr players and some other classes and combat is way better than ranged for pvp......

Edit: As combat hr you have good regen from wild medicine so if you can dodge well then you can out heal most players dmg and using rain of swords + aimed strike and careful attack will kill most players with just that...
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    originalmadscot1originalmadscot1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll start by saying I am in no way an expert.

I've done a fair bit of reading on these forums and from what I can gather I believe that a Combat Stormwarden is best for AoE PvP and pretty good for PvE, Combat Pathfinder is good for single target PvP, Pathfinder Archer is really good for PvE dungeons and skirmishes but watch your agro and its also good in PvP but youll get shut down and owned very easy if noticed.

No idea on trapper.

Like I said I'm no expert so take what I said with a pinch of salt.

I've asked questions here myself and get ignored so good luck.
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cheers!

Well, controversy already!

There does not seem to be an updated guide for Rangers for Module 4. They still talk about the Nature path.

I suppose I could try it out on the Test Server, but I don't know how well that would match the reality of the Live Server game.

I enjoyed the Rangers in Module 2 up to about level 20 or so, but my main characters are DCs, so all my others became Leadership mules for a while. Both Rangers have Mulhorand weapons and Cloak, and I could buy some decent blue gear very cheaply on the AH until I earn the Glory for the Profound sets.

But I'd need to know the best things to stack with the build. And I have to decide on the build first. The Wood Elf also has a re-spec token, so I could change her from Stormwarden and re-do her Powers if needed.

I do notice, though, that when my DCs 1 on 1 with a Ranger, they get mini-stunned with every hit. What is doing that? They can only kill a low-speced HR in PvP, and it's much easier with my War Priest build than the Healer build, who is almost defenseless on her own.

Cheers!
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I believe that a Combat Stormwarden is best for AoE PvP and pretty good for PvE

Not so much.There is one post on the HR forum that is exploring the potential for SW Combat in pve but SW Archer is still better or rather does more damage. SW Combat isn't good for pvp, period, I've been told. It lacks the survival that PF provides.
    Combat Pathfinder is good for single target PvP, Pathfinder Archer is really good for PvE dungeons and skirmishes but watch your agro and its also good in PvP but youll get shut down and owned very easy if noticed.

I have only encountered one PF Combat HR in all my LoL and Shores of Tuern epic runs. The rest are all SW Archers. As I understand it, SW Archer is still the way to go for pve - single target or AoE. I'm happy with the performance of my SW Archer in Mod 4 so far.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    originalmadscot1originalmadscot1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

So if I were to run Pathfinder Combat for PvP should I be using something along the lines of AotLW/Pathfinders Action, Disruptive Shot (for PFA buff)/ Forest Med, for encounters MR/RoS/Boar Rush and finally at wills CA/RS?

Would this work effectively?
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A simplistic way to look at it is Pathfinder for single target with enhanced survivability and Stormwarden for AoE. My two HRs that I'm gearing and running through Campaigns are SW Combat and PF Archer - the exact opposite of the received wisdom. This is because Combat HR is immortal in standard or campaign PVE so the AoE was more useful, whereas Archers lack survivability solo so PF worked better for me.

PvP is 90% single target so PF Combat is superior to SW Combat. Archer is not really PvP viable in either flavour.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

So if I were to run Pathfinder Combat for PvP should I be using something along the lines of AotLW/Pathfinders Action, Disruptive Shot (for PFA buff)/ Forest Med, for encounters MR/RoS/Boar Rush and finally at wills CA/RS?

Would this work effectively?

I pvp with aotlw, cruel recovery, disrupt, ghost, foxes, MR, and hindering. Rapid and aimed. Pathfinder combat build 17.5k. 2 profound, head/arms black ice. Lotta lifesteal, zero regen. Double greater tempered.

I sometimes swap hindering for boars, but I hate that boarscharge leaves me standing like a fool for a second, and the DR buff is meh if you have barkshield already imo. 3 charges of Hindering is quite a heavy hit (on both sides actually), and good for finishing off people running away. Cws at a distance in particular. I keep meaning to switch to CA instead of either aimed or rapid, but hate the whole business of application and always miss whatever I replace: aimed strike/shot for the bleed and the across-node potshot, rapid for the pewpew and the melee lawnmower.

On the other hand, I'm on about page 50, and wobble between the 20s and the 70s depending on pug luck, so don't take anything as gospel. My major problem is AP, I usually have a disruptive up when I need it, but having enough for even ghost at 50 is a rarity.

On the other other hand, the only thing that kills me routinely is other HRs, and only then if they are high gs. Main thing I like about my build is that it's decent at range if necessary, highly mobile, survives initial bursts very well and is a lot of fun to play.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A simplistic way to look at it is Pathfinder for single target with enhanced survivability and Stormwarden for AoE. My two HRs that I'm gearing and running through Campaigns are SW Combat and PF Archer - the exact opposite of the received wisdom. This is because Combat HR is immortal in standard or campaign PVE so the AoE was more useful, whereas Archers lack survivability solo so PF worked better for me.

PvP is 90% single target so PF Combat is superior to SW Combat. Archer is not really PvP viable in either flavour.

I agree with you. My PvE Archer is a Pathfinder and I have no intention to move back to Stormwarden. Cruel Recovery is too good.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree with you. My PvE Archer is a Pathfinder and I have no intention to move back to Stormwarden. Cruel Recovery is too good.
    Sure is. Like having an extra layer of Barkshield that constantly refreshes in combat.

I actually combined it with Heart of the Stag for a while. Surprisingly tanky but Commanding Shot nerfs damage output too much.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    stanelycstanelyc Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    my gs 19K, HP 40k, and use Eliex potions as well. before this 2R weekend i still use black ice bow, now im using rapid arti weapon legend, and formorian off hand

I was in page 30, about 4000kill/500 dead, 2win/1lose rate
    I queue alone.

I was Stormwaden archer build in PVP until this weekend,
    Archer build is very efficient to kill CW in far distance,
    But combat hr give me lots of trouble, then GWF or GF, only 50% win rate against all melee class.

I change to combat pathfinder after i get the legend arti weapon.

The WM and piercing blade is insane, in a 1v3 situation, 2 gwf + 1tr. I kill them one by one, without using any potion or arti.

Now, I can stand fight with any melee class without any problem, But, come back to CW become the problem again.

WD doesnt give me any help when cw strick, HP still melt down. once I was CCed, almost mean dead.

Once I was in a team with no CW vs another team with 2 CW, i cant kill any one, just come out be infinite CCed to dead.

Still, I will stay melee for a while, if CW dont get fixed, I believe I will come back to be archer, nothing feel better than kill the OP class.