test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

weaponmaster strike needs a buff (GF)

grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Militia Barracks
After running some tests (was contemplating trying swordmaster for a while)

I made a comparison of cleave (without cruel cut style) vs weapon-master strike.

WMS has a slightly larger hit radius bit more damage per hit but alot slower attacks. Anyways i ended up whacking dummies with both at-wills.

So even without cruel cut style (+15% damage) on cleave, it still does more damage than WMS. 11% more damage over WMS. With cruel cut it is 28% more (+15% of a higher value makes the gap even more if you think the maths is wrong)

That tiny buff did not do enough! Needs a much faster attack animation atleast +50% faster! if you wanted swordmaster to be a more "dps" spec. the gap is even bigger if you take into account of the new artifact weapon (would be close to +40% more damage than WMS)

Im sorry i didn't screenshot the logs But the data was 145k cleave damage and 130k WMS over 2 minutes stripped down boons/gear for test reasons.
Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
Post edited by grimah on

Comments

• Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Swordmaster isn't a dps spec and even if they changed that at will, it still wouldn't be. IV has trample the fallen and that allows for more dmg what does SM give that does more dmg ? nothing lol. The paths aren't that much different really, just depends on your favorite skills and style. I prefer swordmaster for crescendo and since crushing surge is great now that would always be slotted over WMS anyway :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    Swordmaster isn't a dps spec and even if they changed that at will, it still wouldn't be. IV has trample the fallen and that allows for more dmg what does SM give that does more dmg ? nothing lol. The paths aren't that much different really, just depends on your favorite skills and style. I prefer swordmaster for crescendo and since crushing surge is great now that would always be slotted over WMS anyway :)

So what you suggest is... Leave it to be useless, because theres a better skill already?

and swordmaster has steel blitz (to compare against trample) which could also use some love to make the paragon more competitive.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    So what you suggest is... Leave it to be useless, because theres a better skill already?

and swordmaster has steel blitz (to compare against trample) which could also use some love to make the paragon more competitive.

No but I think it needs something else other than speed and dmg, it feels too clunky to me to be any good. And yes steel blitz needs a buff since its basically useless atm and that being buffed could make the swordmaster the dps path other than the more defensive path.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xd108xxd108x Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I prefer it over cleave tbh, it may do a bit less damage but it can hit an impressive number of targets and debuff them, I just wouldn't stand there spamming it more I tend to use it every several seconds or so just to help make sure I have threat on all targets, that and it would mean I wouldnt be blocking most of the time, which is fine if you are tactician but not so much when u r protector :)

Cleave for me has quite a small radius to hit in so the majority of the time I would simply using Aggrivating Strike to hit multiple targets instead, then at least I wouldnt have block down so much.
  • Options
    baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    PVE perspective: Some GF at-wills could indeed use some love.

Cleave works best for Conq specs due to feats, but in light of the recent buffs people are migrating away from Conqueror - and started looking for alternative to Cleave.

Suggestions:

Cleave - remove its 'forward step' when cleaving - I don't want it to mess with my positioning, especially once/when I position myself at the 'edge of red' and Cleave moves me back in.

Agg Strike - same - its 'forward step' is annoying. It could use a little larger hit-box, as for non-cleaving IVs it's the *only* multi-target at-will available.

Crushing Surge: I wish this was multi-target, too. As a single-target at-will, it didn't live up to my hopes: Damage is okay, but since it's so slow (which is already a disadvantage as it means less weapon/companion procs in many cases), you can very rarely land the (healing) third-hit without eating an attack in the meantime for more damage than you'll get healed for. Hence it's usually smarter to just block and restart the attack sequence from hit-one, effectively nullifying the little extra healing CS offers on paper.

WMS: I agree with the OP that this should be boosted a little so it becomes more than a 'debuff flagging tool'. A classic IV is giving up access to Frontline Surge encounter and Threatening Rush (from IV) to get this (usually coupled with switching to a more passive/reflective playstyle), so every little bit making these builds feel less passive and more action-y is most welcome.