test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are you here?

pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Every single day on these forums I read complaints that PVP is broken, classes are totally broken, matchmaking sucks, PVE is too easy, it's too heavily influenced by RNG and full of grindiness, the Foundry is in a state of disrepair, Cryptic is a money-grubbing evil corporation, the game is full of exploiters and cheaters, etc., etc., etc. And I gotta ask, if this game has so many problems and issues, why do you still stick around? Because the environment of negativity on these forums is quite wearying. Not every game is designed to appeal to every single person. If you don't like this game, then please just leave, but please don't stick around and unleash your negative energy on these forums over a game you don't really like and have little respect for. It just makes the whole environment more toxic for everyone. You may not have respect for the game, but please have a little bit of respect for the other players who do enjoy this game despite its flaws, and don't appreciate being bombarded with constant messages of "this game sucks!!!" every single hour of every single day on the forums.
Post edited by pointsman on

Comments

• Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes, there is a lot of negativity here . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I'm sure I saw a topic like that a while ago, so I'll answer the same:

I'm here because I like the engine and D&D. I don't play actively anymore because there's not much to do but get the best gear.

And yes, a lot of complainments here are true and shouldn't be taken as "qq".
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm here because I like making quality posts like this one...

98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84.gif
    giphy.gif
    funny-gifs-Deserve-a-facepalm.gif
    funny-prank-gif-pipe.gif
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    abishai3705abishai3705 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    I agree the environment is somewhat "toxic"... however, I think the forums provide the players a place to vent their frustrations and concerns with current issues they are having. If players were 100% satisfied with the game they probably wouldn't spend too much time on the forums looking to see if people have a solution or feel the same way.
    I would like to see more constructive discussions and less rants. (I'm sure the moderators agree, although I do not speak for them)
    One reason I think people are hanging on to the game even though the are dissatisfied is because the game has SO MUCH POTENTIAL! I think there is a desperate cry from the community to have things run a bit better "behind the scenes" so to speak. We as a community have to realize this game is just over a year old and has not yet reached its full potential. The F2P model doesn't have a perfect formula for success in the MMO world yet so the company has to balance many things in order to produce longevity.
    I stay because I have hope that the game will thrive and achieve balance... sometimes I complain because I am concerned I invested in a 'sinking ship' . I know this game doesn't suck, I love almost everything about it!
    Abishai the Blessed - 60 Sun Elf DC
    Shazaam - 60 Tiefling CW
    Link - 60 Menzoberranzan Renegade (Drow) HR
    Naruto - 60 Half-Orc TR
    Moose - 60 Human GWF
    T-Wrecks 60 Half-Orc GF
    Drag King - 60 Dragonborn SW
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Somebody told me that there would be cake.
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What am I supposed to do while I'm at work. Work? Come on...
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I love the game (or did for a while). I started posting to ask questions, give advice, and give my 2 AD on subjects that are really major and possibly being worked on by the devs.

Sadly, my family is losing interest quickly (but the reasons for that are varied, and I'm done talking about them for now).

However, I get a chuckle every time I hear some bleeding heart / hippie / spiritually-enlightened "person" come along and say things like "negative energy" and "toxic environment". It's just as bad/funny as PVPers coming along to say "everything sucks" and "CWs are OP!!!".
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The answer is simple: It's a fun game and the price is right.

There are two kinds of complaints - those who care passionately and trolls. Fortunately there are a lot more of the former, but communicating the complaint in a way that is not so frictional is not always easy - and the biggest reason it feels or seems "toxic" sometimes is that we all tend to read emotion into the words. I personally just speak frankly, but people read it as controversial. I can't help how others read my words when I speak plainly, but they inject their own emotion into it. (I don't take 99% of this stuff so seriously, myself.)

Then there are the trolls.

All this apparent "toxicity" can beget more toxicity - and it can begin to grow on its own, and the primary reason for it is miscommunication: so we sometime all play "tennis" with clarification to the clarification of the clarification and it can get heated. Hell, I've fallen into the tar-trap myself. It's not always so easy to be cordial and polite when something so important to us (and each of us has different priorities) is just frustrating as hell.

Because we love this game, so we can be passionate about it.

So why are we still here? Because we love the game and we want to see it be the best there is. Hence, a lot of people voice their concerns, right or wrong; good or bad; opinion or fact - it's about wanting this game to be the best it can be.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hopefully they can realize something from these "qq", especially those about PvE. There is a reason that many "qq" are about PvE.

And I personally think PvE is in dire need of D&D elements/feel.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    If you don't like this game, then please just leave, but please don't stick around and unleash your negative energy on these forums over a game you don't really like and have little respect for.

And if I do like the game, but I'm overwhelmed with obnoxious flaws that I've been reporting for over a year, what do I do?

Nothing is really black or white. Nothing is so simple. People who simply don't like the game at all didn't even install it, or tried it and left forever after half an hour. There is people that see potential in the game, but feel frustrated that potential is wasted by poor latter design or implementation choices, or things that are acknowledged as broken even by PWE employees, but still left unfixed for months.

If anyone who is not fully satisfied with the game simply decided to leave, there would be less players than CMs. Rather than just abandoning the game (and definitely hurting PWE/Cryptic), people choose to do the only thing they can do to pass the message to the upper levels, and that is being vocal about the flaws that, in their opinion, PWE should work on to improve.
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is my first MMO and I LOVE(!) the game mechanics. The combat-system (not balance) is so good in this game. I've been around since beta and mostly sticking around because I hope that the devs will turn things around and give us what we want. But I'm getting a bit disappointed in every mod. There is always somethings that are really bad in each mod that cripples the game and in the forums, the bad stuff takes the spotlight from the good things. If everything were good i would be playing, not creating posts in the forums.

For an example, Open PvP could have been something good but its not. There is no reason for anyone to spend time there because it wont help you get better geared and without players its no fun. They need to add something that draws people there even after they finish with IWD campaign. Now its mostly small groups of players jumping players that tries to farm Black Ice. Where are the huge battles?.. I saw a few the first week of the mod, but it was laggy as hell and not that fun because of that.

This game has or atleast had huge potential but people do bad choices and bad things happens to the game. I want to be around in case somebody wakes up and rethink things and turn this game into something good. I'm here until I find a better game or something else to do, and at this point this game is bad enough for me to actually look for something else. So time is running out.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The game was great to begin with. But over time more and more flaws and punishments to the players came into play. As a company with a reasonably big fanbase, I expect a professional impact on the game, instead what has happened is that they neglected the game and restricted players in order to make more money instead of making the game better for the actual players. It seems like a waste to leave now after how much progress I've made with my character. Especially when I can probably get some legendary artifacts for double rp weekend.

I don't overlook and accept blatant flaws that are completely avoidable and should not exist to the high degree it is. It is disrespectful to continue on with such a flawed product and I refuse to be happy about being taken advantage of. By arguing, I'm pointing out that it's not ok to carry on punishing us and leaving flaws in whilst introducing new ones. People ignoring it just practically say that it's ok for all of the flaws, we'll overlook and accept it, just keep working on what's best for your wallets instead of what the game deserves. Some of us actually want products to have the quality that they deserve.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm here cause the combat is good and I have friends. I also invested a LOT of time - think about more than a year.

I am at the point of giving up though.
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Simple - I really like playing the game.
  • Options
    lordopiclordopic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here because the game is the game is fun.

Been playing MMO's since 1999, and done my fair share of forum warrior style postings across a host of games. Now i tend to lurk in the shadows and read more than actually post, far too old to be getting into flame wars again.

There is a lot wrong/broken with this game but on the plus side there is a lot that makes me want to keep playing for the foreseeable future.

As for all the negativity? As with all game forums ppl here are but a very small % of the ppl playing. Some just like to shout a bit louder than others.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Even the best designed games can have flaws that the player-base shouldn't accept.

The logic that you are stating is this .. the game devs and producers can spew anything at us and we have to like it... Thats not how this works, games are here for the player base entertainment, it needs to be a fine line between time gating/grinding and enjoyment. Sometimes they look at artificial time windows too much and not at the actual enjoyment. Thats where the player-base needs to voice their concern.

Prime example that is not being listened to is the flawed RNG on black ice equipment, where substandard builds have a hard time achieving great success, let alone overcoming the rng system to get this gear.

Its wrong and needs to be addressed, so the player-base needs to voice this concern over and over until the amended to something more in line between the two of player enjoyment and time gating so its not too quick of a success.
  • Options
    vedran541vedran541 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Im staying because of the combat system, for now..

But unfortunately its all true whats written in OPs post. The matchmaking kinda sucks, and the low population dosent help. But that would increase if they fixed some of the issues that OP wrote in his post. PvE is too easy, its all grind, grind, grind and if RNG rolls your way you get to grind even more, dragging your mouse from inventory to artifact/belt/weapon can take a few days as well. PvP has two maps and has had it since beta. Waiting 18 hours to see if RNG rolls your way is also a bad direction to go. There is nothing for geared players to do besides PvP, and as we all know how little attention domination is getting, I wouldn't worry too much about the whiners and QQers of the forums leaving the game. They are only trying to help cryptic to make use of the awesome combat system this game has, but unfortunately not much is happening and players are leaving.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Every single day on these forums I read complaints that PVP is broken, classes are totally broken, matchmaking sucks, PVE is too easy, it's too heavily influenced by RNG and full of grindiness, the Foundry is in a state of disrepair, Cryptic is a money-grubbing evil corporation, the game is full of exploiters and cheaters, etc., etc., etc. And I gotta ask, if this game has so many problems and issues, why do you still stick around? Because the environment of negativity on these forums is quite wearying. Not every game is designed to appeal to every single person. If you don't like this game, then please just leave, but please don't stick around and unleash your negative energy on these forums over a game you don't really like and have little respect for. It just makes the whole environment more toxic for everyone. You may not have respect for the game, but please have a little bit of respect for the other players who do enjoy this game despite its flaws, and don't appreciate being bombarded with constant messages of "this game sucks!!!" every single hour of every single day on the forums.

And why do you think we do this?, I think this game has great potential but there are problems that are too big and I've not seen that in another game, for example, in my case, the game with most bugs I've played, most unbalanced classes I've seen and easiest PvE content on any MMORPG I've played.

So it's kinda sad to see these big problems in a single game in which I've spent money and time, that's why I stay here with the hope that they fix this game, and the only way to let them know is making threads here on the forum.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I could care less about PvP, and I honestly enjoy the easy casual nature of Cryptic games. I don't play these games to challenge myself. So the complaints don't really apply to me. I'm not trying, in vain, to make the game something it isn't. So I have little to rage about.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Going to close this down, as this will lead to nowhere but unproductive arguing. However, a word must be said.

Everyone is allowed their opinion of the community, the game, and anything else to do with Neverwinter--so long as such posts are made within the boundaries of the Rules of Conduct. You don't necessarily have to like the game, however, we do require respect for all aspects of its community and that any criticisms be made in a constructive manner (e.g. giving the devs something to build upon rather than simply tearing them down). Attacking someone for their opinion is never welcomed here.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.