test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

suggestion: dragon scaling

zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
My suggestion is for the dragon HE's in mod 4 to scale with the number of people fighting it at a given time. World of Warcraft has something very similar so I will be describing that for the purpose of this post.

WoW has a place called The Timeless Isle where there are a bunch of rarespawns (read: heroic encounters) that, when they spawn, have a certain amount of health. If only one person attacks them their health remains unchanged, but for each additional person that begins attacking them their health scales up by a small percentage so that the boss doesn't die in 3 seconds flat like they do now with too many people attacking one dragon.

What I'd like to recommend is implementing HE scaling for these dragons. When more than 5 people attack the dragon his health should increase at an appropriate rate so that fighting still took say... a minute or two instead of the 5 to 30 seconds it does now.

What do you think?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
Post edited by zshikara on

Comments

• Options
    benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Just make them attack faster, move faster, attack harder, and have more HP, and finally, decrease the amount of people allowed on the instance and you've got a realistic epic dragon :D.
  • Options
    ryonasryonas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think adding automatic HP would be great idea , as such zone transferring would deem useless
    +1 to this idea
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ryonas wrote: »
    I think adding automatic HP would be great idea , as such zone transferring would deem useless
    +1 to this idea

Why would it make it useless, People do it to avoid the 20min timer which wouldn't change.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Rather than adding limits, more HP, etc., just don't make it possible to transfer instances. Shorten the spawn to 15 minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ryonasryonas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Why would it make it useless, People do it to avoid the 20min timer which wouldn't change.

Players fighting the dragons in Zone adventures instances are done in circular habit by changing instance, if you got the dragon now and 25 attacking on it that is it having its normal hp x 25 attacking on it , if more people show up it heals with percentage just like ebon downs skrimish dragon and that is on the live servers btw

After ALL it is a Dragon not a marshmallow sugar crystallizing

so if they add that feature finishing the dragon would ultimately mess up the circular instance zone transfers because taking down dragons would differ based on the amount of players existent

thus allowing players to do 4-5 per hour not 12 per hour and clogging the zone adventures on others

Also don't forget lowering zone instance transfers loads on servers

if you think the 20 min timer is problem that is another issue about lowering the Cooldown
    but my foremost issue is clogging zone adventure instance because of dragons timers hunting and the OP idea is great for fixing this issue simply and easy
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    A simple script that scales the dragon when the timer hits 0 based on how many people are in the instance could work, but may result in some VERY tough fights since they're all leveling zones. If they can get a radius function for detecting number of players that may yield better results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited September 2014
    Better Idea: Lower the 'Hardcap' for the Zone Population to 25% over 'Softcap'.
    Example, Zone has a 20 Player Limit 'Soft' -> 25 can get in, no more, no matter the trickery. People that 'But I want to play together with my friends' can go to a different Zone, too.
    There, Problem solved, because usually, not all players will show up for the Dragon Fight. In Whispering Caverns, for example, the Hardcap is around 40 or so. And people exploit the 'ferry people in via invite' mechanic. Yes, EXPLOIT.
  • Options
    sugarliessugarlies Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited September 2014
    Sort of off topic: it's not Timeless Isle. On TI, the rares have set life and when they spawn they die so fast (1-3 seconds) you don't even have time to reach them if you're 50 yards away. Isle of Thunder though did what you say.
    These two islands actually go to show the difference between a bad implementation (Timeless) versus a good one (Thunder).

On topic: Agreed. The dragons are supposedly for 6-10 players. Anything above that should scale the dragon up.
  • Options
    abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    But that would be the logical thing to do... i dont see this getting implemented
    Dr. Phil
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the easy way would be to have it shift everyone to an instanced area that are with in the radius of the encounter. If part of a team my be a harder version with a better drop that has to be queued for but this would defeat the purpose of the encounters though. A percentage of a sort might work say 6 - 10 people is 100% effective for every one over that this would decrease say every 4 would drop it by 10 % around -75% or so with a group around 40 or so together your effectiveness would be about 25% vs the dragon. Now I am not a game designer or know how the workings of it are but this should give an idea to work with maybe.