test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sharandar improperly set up?

ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
Been banging out Sharandar and have extras of the seedlings, charms and blades but despite taking the 6 day sharandar chest from invocation every time, it's still gated on sparks.

This just doesn't seem to be a proper design. Right now there is just no reason to go back to Sharandar, except once per week when reservoir is up. Why on earth would they set it up like that? It should be a smooth progression at least such that if you took the 6 day chest you should be unlocking the final boon when you have done enough time to collect all the other parts needed.
Post edited by ashnvf on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So all my invoking and collecting sparks ever since that mod was released was a total ripoff waste of time?

Joy.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yep, sparks are the gate in Sharandar. If you're full up on all your other stuff, just do the daily quest in Sharandar to collect the 10 sparks (which should take 2 minutes) and forget the rest of the quests until you need more stuff.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I keep the quickling den up and go in and get the crystals in like 2 seconds and then just exit. Seems faster than from redcaps.

Still requiring 200+ sparks each for the last 2 boons when you will have all the other parts before even unlocking the 3rd boon seems improperly thought out. It's an extra 3 weeks of nothing.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    While it was very poorly done in Sharandar, time-gating is a requirement when a game depends on small mods to extend its gameplay value.
    On a happier note, you'll find that they learned from their mistake and made the newer campaigns a lot better and more fluent. Still time-gated, but at least it's a steady progression instead of a waiting game after the first 3 boons.

Yes, but DR, IWD and ToD are all gated in a reasonable way and not in a way that you spend WEEKS sitting and waiting for a weekly quest (and Sharandar treasure box). That is just poor design. It causes the player to disengage from the campaign.

They should either reduce the spark costs in half on the realm of malabog gate and the last 2 boons, or have Arcane Reservoir give 100 sparks. It would still be gated heavily, but would flow through significantly better.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    never mind I cannot be bothered...if you do not like it there are other games. Let me know how that works out for you.
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sharandar progression is very poorly implemented (the design may have been fine), you can get the first 2 boons on day 1 and then have to unlock all of the zones to get 3-5 (the final zone takes an age to unlock). So you get 0 progression for a large part of your time spent there.

IWD also has large stretches of nothing going on since you can neither make the main hand nor the full armour set until you have finished the full 35 days (and waited for the craft skill to unlock for 20 hrs) - and gl dropping either of course.

Dread Ring feels about right for it's intention.

ToD campaign I don't wish to even think about ...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    never mind I cannot be bothered...if you do not like it there are other games. Let me know how that works out for you.

You have a very poor attitude. Because I think Sharandar is set up poorly (and I explained why) I should go play something else? Your seem to be one of those folks that has trouble accepting constructive criticism. Leave things broken and tell people to step around it.

Besides, Sharandar is 1 of 4 expansions, so because 1 out of 4 expansions is poorly designed I should go play something else? Why don't you go spam someone else thread since you clearly don't have anything constructive to contribute.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While Sharandar takes the most grinding to get through, it's my favorite module. It's the only one that gives you something to do with the currency/bounty items when you're done with it. When I level a companion, it ain't DR or IWD I go to.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Are you doing the weekly Reservoir Quest for 50 sparks?
    ashnvf wrote: »
    Been banging out Sharandar and have extras of the seedlings, charms and blades but despite taking the 6 day sharandar chest from invocation every time, it's still gated on sparks.

This just doesn't seem to be a proper design. Right now there is just no reason to go back to Sharandar, except once per week when reservoir is up. Why on earth would they set it up like that? It should be a smooth progression at least such that if you took the 6 day chest you should be unlocking the final boon when you have done enough time to collect all the other parts needed.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Are you doing the weekly Reservoir Quest for 50 sparks?

Yes, and taking the 6 day invocation chest. That nets approximately 80 sparks a week. You need 150 to unlock the third gate and around 150-220 for each of the last 3 boons. That's a LOT of weeklies to get all that.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    While Sharandar takes the most grinding to get through, it's my favorite module. It's the only one that gives you something to do with the currency/bounty items when you're done with it. When I level a companion, it ain't DR or IWD I go to.

Well, yea, the only good thing is that, when you are leveling a companion Sharandar for the win!.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Agreed, they really should've improved it, but oh well. It was designed so badly that for the most part I ignore it for the fey blessings, of which you can get 2 a week max compared to 7 of the dragon hoard enchantments (those really are a blessing). Though funnily enough, having many toons, the coins is actually the bottleneck for me on the most part :D. For me it wasn't particularly fun the first time, I had to do it 8 times (well kind of taking a break on my 8th for ToD). I die inside when I'm at the point where I realise I have to do sharandar.