test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about Shores Skirmish

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
I finally unlocked this yesterday and got about 3 runs into it, thankfully they all completed however I have a question.

What is the dancing flame attack that keeps killing me with 50 - 80k dmg? I ask because as near as I can tell I cannot avoid this attack, there is no red under my feet to dodge, just some flash of light/fire and dead.

Now I seem to notice that this appears to be some sort of attack from the front of the boss, so theortecally standing behind him would keep you from insta death. Is that the case? Does anyone know? Is it maybe a bug that there isn't anything red on the ground to avoid? I have seen a red cone on the ground and dodged that from time to time but there are times that i'm not in anything and i'm just dead and logs show I got hit with 50k (80k) damage from dancing fire.

Now if my assumption is correct then all you jokers out there that can't figure out how to face a boss are really going to get on my nerves. It seems that this boss might have the traditional MMO tank and spank mechanic so that the tank needs to turn the boss away from the group while dps kills and DC heals/buff.
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you kill his adds the boss will deal two times more damage. His usual attack (beside fire breath cleave and fireball throw) is a cleave without red area, it hits for about 50k HP approximately. He uses this attack right after fireball throw usually but sometimes it happens before or after fire breath attack. All you can do is try to guess and dodge just in case he uses it and always keep behind his back. GF in your party makes this fight a lot easier.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    If you kill his adds the boss will deal two times more damage. His usual attack (beside fire breath cleave and fireball throw) is a cleave without red area, it hits for about 50k HP approximately. He uses this attack right after fireball throw usually but sometimes it happens before or after fire breath attack. All you can do is try to guess and dodge just in case he uses it and always keep behind his back. GF in your party makes this fight a lot easier.

Yes it took me all of 1 run to determine the GF would be a breeze, however all runs killed the pets first because god they do a lot of damage by jumping on you and going into frenzy. The boss is cake if he isn't constantly turned into you, at least that is what I thought so it seems that is in fact confirmed. I did notice staying behind the boss was pretty nice but then 2 of my runs where with GWF's that did the usual run around the screen like headless chicken swinging swords aimlessly. Everytime I was behind the boss I found myself in front of him before my power would go off and dead in a blink and all because some jack@ss thinks running in circles is helpful.

I though the cone was what was hitting me though and it was bugged and not showing up so very glad to know its a cleave. Looks like I need to just stay at extreme range in future instead of trying to hit him with some IT or Sudden Storm on occasion.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dancing Flames is an unavoidable instant cast attack according to the journal entry

With both drakes dead, it deals up to around 244k damage befoe mitigation, which is usually enough to kill any class unless they deflect the damage or are some high (50k+) hp build, or a GF using Guard.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While most of the attacks seem to be random or target the player in max range, this 'instaoneshot" aims to highest aggro.

If you got a tank and a decent DC, you are golden. Decent is a DC not standing on my range and chasting holy ground there for cosmetic reasons.

With high dps squishies burn him and dodge preemtive the moment he raises his hands after fireball. If he goes for you after firebreath there is no player in range position, so he skips fireball, as far as I understand the mechanics.

Low dps squishies should try to CC dragons and burn boss first.

I hope this helps. I dont claim divine knowledge, just my conclusions after some runs.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Dancing Flames is an unavoidable instant cast attack according to the journal entry

With both drakes dead, it deals up to around 244k damage befoe mitigation, which is usually enough to kill any class unless they deflect the damage or are some high (50k+) hp build, or a GF using Guard.

So are you saying there is an attack that triggers that you can't avoid no one can take the damage from? So boss kills someone every so often? Cause I know that attack goes off at least every 20 seconds as it killed me once i was revived and it killed me again shortly after.

Is it random or is it cast on who has aggro? I'm gonna slow up my damage if its based on aggro.
  • Options
    volchitsavolchitsa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Perhaps it's coincidence, I will have to check after maintenance is over, but as an HR I found that if I just hug the wall, I don't get hit by it. Again, maybe I've been behind the boss and simply not given it a second thought.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Based on aggro.

You can avoid it if your class is adble to dodge or has damage immunity mechanisms
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    HR can cast fox cunning before the attack. Takes a few runs to get used to when. I got one shot quite a few times though :)

Soulforged is a necessity here even more than it ever was.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A GF and DC are fantastic in this skirmish, and holding his aggro is important or he will cast at random. It CAN be dodged, but you have to watch for the attack animation. As soon as he raises his hands, dodge.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you have HRs in your party tell them to use Fox´s Cunning to give an automatic dodge when the bosss raises his arm. Most Hr´s have three ranks in Fox and that will affect all party members.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Soulforged is a necessity here even more than it ever was.

Not against this attack, I was killed 3X over in one shot and my soulforged never proc'ed. The game was still trying to damage me when it rezzed me, so it killed me again (not). XD
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    volchitsa wrote: »
    Perhaps it's coincidence, I will have to check after maintenance is over, but as an HR I found that if I just hug the wall, I don't get hit by it. Again, maybe I've been behind the boss and simply not given it a second thought.

He seems to have the dsame range as regular CW without range feat with this attack. So for my CW it is either deal dmg and avoid attacks or be a spectator. If yoe have aggro he kindly moves, till you are in range to kill you.

As said before, this attack is not random. I tanked the boss with my GWF (exept for the runs with that 22k GS CW, he did to much dmg).
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    From my limited runs only one person died at a time, often it was me although I think I luckily dodged not know what I was dodging on occasion.

So from what i'm reading this is an AoE attack he does??

I did at least 1 run (that one had a GF) where I did not die, I took some damage from something that seemed to aoe out from the boss but I did not get 1 shot from anything. The next two I died pretty much after killing the pets from whatever dancing flames turns out to be.

Not that it needs to be said, but you also can't dodge and end up landing in a fiery circle on the ground without dying. I dodged an attack and ended up in a circle of fire and was dead before I could dodge again.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Did some limited runs this morning. Staying to the side or behind boss works, but you want to be in that 180 degrees range to be safest. The fire circles will drain you in seconds. As an HR, I have had to dodge through red just to get out of red (Karru), and that's not possible with these. A TR may be able to because their roll is about 2X the distance of an HR's shift.
    Killing drakes makes him more powerful, unless you have a team full of GF's or GWF's, you can't leave both alive. So, kill one and avoid the second as best as possible.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    volchitsa wrote: »
    Not against this attack, I was killed 3X over in one shot and my soulforged never proc'ed. The game was still trying to damage me when it rezzed me, so it killed me again (not). XD

Alternatively you could be like me and have soulforged continual proc and insta kill me until I have 4 sets of severe injuries...