test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Uninstalling/Reinstalling

gigthulhugigthulhu Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello there. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so please forgive me if I've got it wrong.

Okay, so Neverwinter has been crashing on me on a VERY regular basis since Mod 3. But it's gotten ridiculous with Mod 4. I literally can't get from the entrance of PE to the Harpers without crashing at least once. And I've lost many dragon kills because of said crashes.

I heard from a guild mate that he managed to reduce his crashing by uninstalling and reinstalling. So now that the summer festival is effectively over, that's what I'm planning to do. My question is this:

Is there a way I can uninstall and reinstall, without having to redownload the entire 5+ gigs of the game? If I got to redownload the whole thing, is there a way to download stuff like the graphics and skins and such, and store it in my computer? I ask because my connection is not that great, so it'd be very frustrating to start from the beginning every time I have to shut down (it's lightning season right now).

Thanks.
Post edited by gigthulhu on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What Magenubie says... reinstallation should be the absolutely last possible resort because it's more like 15GB (Yes, really) - first you get the base 5+ GB, then there are the update patches, and if you're not already using the ARC client, you will be hence.

Just a head's-up.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks guys. Alas, I've already begun reinstalling. But I'll check out the Direct X thingies as well. I've just gotten super frustrated with the constant crashing and I've been waiting for the Summer Festival to effectively end. Thanks again for the advice, I'll keep those in mind in case I encounter issues again in future.
  • Options
    saini50990saini50990 Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    well i also reinstalled , but crashes arent so forgiving , still crashing a lot , a lot means lot . driver crashes , it even crash while loading and worst of all when it crashes during PVP.
    so u can forget about reinstalling helping u at all.
  • Options
    kevinc55kevinc55 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    OP - if your connection speed is not very good, it is unlikely that uninstalling/reinstalling will help - as the problem is most likely being caused by your latency to the game server. Only real way to fix that is to get a new connection, sorry to say. (And i do know that is not always possible - just no need to aggravate yourself further by r&r'ing the game.) Good luck - if you check in the bugs forum there are some good posts on checking your connection issues.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Hi, thanks for the continued advice.

While reinstalling, I've run dxdiag, and it says I'm fine. Although I haven't made sure my Direct X is the most up to date yet.

In terms of connection speed, I don't think that's the reason for the crashes, as I'm generally not experiencing lag (unless I've got a torrent or download in the background). I think the crashes seem to be memory related? Memory overflow/leak? Sorry, not a particularly technical person.

Thanks again all. If you've got any more advice or suggestions, I hope you'll share.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you wanna test your memory, I recommend MemTest86. Run that for several hours and you'll have an answer.

If hardware errors are not the problem, I'd say it's time to scrape the drive clean and throw on a fresh install of Windows.
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is "Neverwinter.exe.deleteme2" the file I need to run to uninstall the game?

In my case I think I've gotten a series of unlucky bugs that now include being
    unable to open the Flower Rewards. (Started with Heroic Rewards staying
    stuck on the screen.) Both had the same infinite 'open another'? problem
    without actually ended or giving anything.

Does a reinstall fix obscure bugs?
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    tyvm.

to the OP: You probly did this, but... I run my game on a laptop.
    Not only did I have to put all the obscure graphics settings near their
    lowest, but also had to buy a USB powered tray of fans to blow the
    heat out. The game would grind to a halt the longer I used it.
    Works well now.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Once again, thank you. I'll run the MemTest86 once I finish uninstalling.

Does anyone know if there's any temp files or cache or whatever I should check in relation to Neverwinter?

Haha, I'm just gonna take advantage of the fact you guys are actually helpful. A rare thing in forums eh?
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    gigthulhu wrote: »
    Once again, thank you. I'll run the MemTest86 once I finish uninstalling.

Does anyone know if there's any temp files or cache or whatever I should check in relation to Neverwinter?

Haha, I'm just gonna take advantage of the fact you guys are actually helpful. A rare thing in forums eh?

Come to think of it, you should also run chkdsk if you haven't already. I find when things start crashing on me it's often that the hard disk needs some maintenance - both on my PC and my Macs... you might also want to check for bad blocks, too if you machine is a year or more older (let it run overnight as THAT can take a really long time).