Options

best cw at will?

dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Library
best cw at will?
Post edited by dodgo on

Comments

• Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted the one I use most often, Ray of Frost. It stops them coming at me, and melts them.
    I -THINK- Magic Missile does the highest DPS, and Chilling Cloud does really good damage and can hit nearby enemies.. so it's a tough call, and depends on feats and situation.

Again, I voted per my favorite, I am not saying it is best.

(IMO Storm Pillar is not in the running at all.)
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've not used MM since Mod4 started.

I have Ray of Frost in my right click, and either Storm Pillar or Chilling Cloud in my left click. If I'm fighting dragon HEs, then I'm using storm pillar to get damage boost. (Opening with this, then RoE, then Ice Knife is a good start!)

However, if I'm doing HEs like prospectors/raiders, I'm always using Chilling Cloud.

Thus, I can't really answer definitely which is best. Depends on what I'm doing.
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In the past MM was best. Now

chilling cloud for pve
    ray for pvp

not sure about storm pillar...
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    RoF was and is my favorite even before it was so powerful. As a matter of fact I was bummed out the SW didn't get a Ray of Shadow as an at will.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Scorching Burst xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ray Of Frost is the only one I use since Mod 4 killed Magic Missile. Even now that I had to feat Chilling Cloud, it doesn't seem to be worth using.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Storm Pillar for me.

Does the highest DPS (and it's not close) and its lightning arcs can proc storm spell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1) didn't include scorching burst
    2) maybe it depends on the situation?
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ray of Frost if not Arcane, proc's storm spell at an amazing rate. Generally I only have 1 mob left to use it on, aoe isn't useful. Otherwise I want to max out arcane stacks (steal time, sudden storm, shard all get buffed at that point).
  • Options
    crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    magic missile for arcane stacks
    ray of frost for freeze stacks

both have their advantage for the situation, but magic missile hits higher for me
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lisaxxiilisaxxii Member Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »
    magic missile for arcane stacks
    ray of frost for freeze stacks

both have their advantage for the situation, but magic missile hits higher for me

Is your Avatar a ****en selfie?!

Christ man....
    Enemy Team
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I think Magic Missile is good... but...

I prefer the Ray of Frost effect. The difference of damage is so low and insignificant that I just go for it. I don't feel like Magic Missile is *~The At-Will for Single-Target~* anymore. Even Chilling Cloud hits harder on single-target in my tests.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    With the MM buffing artifact, I imagine more CWs will return to using it.

RoF isn't bad, but having to stand still is a big negative in my book.
  • Options
    diotelpdiotelp Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not voting because scorching burst isnt on there, i guess you dont believe it is good enough to be on your poll lol...
  • Options
    xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    With the MM buffing artifact, I imagine more CWs will return to using it.

RoF isn't bad, but having to stand still is a big negative in my book.

Lol. You don't need to stand still.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    dingleberrytruthdingleberrytruth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Copy and paste from one of my posts.

----

I did some parsing between at wills.

SS Thauma (bittercold + frozen power transfer), Focused Wizardry(30% more damage on single target at wills, 10% less on aoe, penalty would affect CC)

The ranking of overall dps came out to be this.

1) Chilling Cloud
    2) Ray of Frost
    3) Magic Missile

If we were to merit the ranking based solely on at will damage alone, Magic Missile would be number 1. But let's be practical here. The reason why Chilling Cloud came out tops is because of storm spell. 2 minute parses between each at will showed that Magic Missile procced in a range of 30+ storm spells. Whereas Chilling Cloud and Ray of Frost both maintained 50+ storm spell proc rates within the same duration.

So if you're SS thauma specced... lay magic missile to rest. Different circumstances for MoF, you got no storm spell. Magic Missile is still probably your highest single target dps at will.

edit:

Going down the path of Chilling Cloud means you'd be sacrificing arcane mastery stacks on single target fights. Adjust according to what you farm most! On the other hand... using CC artifact weapon doesn't mean you're barred from using magic missile...

----

During thrash clearing, stacking up the chill to hasten the freeze overwhelms any miniscule advantage on single target dps or arcane mastery might have when comparing CC/RoF vs MM. Using MM on bosses might be ideal because of consistent maintenance of arcane mastery, thus boosting your encounter damage as well. But in fights like Draco, Chilling Cloud would still be a better choice. Pick your fights, swap your at wills accordingly.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My problem with Ray of Frost that it has a quarter sec to even start to burn. But you usually don't have the time.
    So I am mixing MM/CC now to maximize buffs.
  • Options
    laughingbirddddlaughingbirdddd Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Copy and paste from one of my posts.

----

I did some parsing between at wills.

SS Thauma (bittercold + frozen power transfer), Focused Wizardry(30% more damage on single target at wills, 10% less on aoe, penalty would affect CC)

The ranking of overall dps came out to be this.

1) Chilling Cloud
    2) Ray of Frost
    3) Magic Missile

If we were to merit the ranking based solely on at will damage alone, Magic Missile would be number 1. But let's be practical here. The reason why Chilling Cloud came out tops is because of storm spell. 2 minute parses between each at will showed that Magic Missile procced in a range of 30+ storm spells. Whereas Chilling Cloud and Ray of Frost both maintained 50+ storm spell proc rates within the same duration.

So if you're SS thauma specced... lay magic missile to rest. Different circumstances for MoF, you got no storm spell. Magic Missile is still probably your highest single target dps at will.

edit:

Going down the path of Chilling Cloud means you'd be sacrificing arcane mastery stacks on single target fights. Adjust according to what you farm most! On the other hand... using CC artifact weapon doesn't mean you're barred from using magic missile...

----

During thrash clearing, stacking up the chill to hasten the freeze overwhelms any miniscule advantage on single target dps or arcane mastery might have when comparing CC/RoF vs MM. Using MM on bosses might be ideal because of consistent maintenance of arcane mastery, thus boosting your encounter damage as well. But in fights like Draco, Chilling Cloud would still be a better choice. Pick your fights, swap your at wills accordingly.

Thz your explanation

Does the nerf of Freeze and Chill have a huge impact on the of cc??
    Can you give me the link of your post?
  • Options
    leedskalninleedskalnin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Storm Pillar for me because cc projectiles are slow and somewhat have delayed damage. Storm Pillar damages instantly (good for triggering eos). Cc is good for survivability (damage debuff) and aoe frost (artifact effect). For the single target, rof all the way.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Yes you do. You can't move while casting RoF anymore.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Shh don't tell people.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pantamime wrote: »
    Scorching Burst xD

^THIS. 'Nuff said. LOL
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Shh don't tell people.

Ahahaha

See this is why I don't even bother responding to some people trying to make game-mechanic/class balance/economy arguments on the forums when they don't even know the basics.

I know which guilds know what the real deal is, and which guilds are that are just casuals monkeying around on tier 1 dungeons
  • Options
    xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Yes you do. You can't move while casting RoF anymore.

No. You don't. Send me a tell in game sometime and I would be quite happy to show you how it works.:D And if you are melee I will dance around you while I wait for all my Procs to do my damage for me while Icy Rays is on Cooldown. :mad:
    Shh don't tell people.

Haha. It's not exactly a well kept secret as it is.... :rolleyes:
    Ahahaha

See this is why I don't even bother responding to some people trying to make game-mechanic/class balance/economy arguments on the forums when they don't even know the basics.

I know which guilds know what the real deal is, and which guilds are that are just casuals monkeying around on tier 1 dungeons

What are you suggesting?
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>