test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

complaint about PVP matching

mamorukmamoruk Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
So this happens to me more often than i would like. I took a bit of a hiatus from Neverwinter and came back a while later so my gear has not kept up with the times. I have a GS of about 8500 which when i took a break was nothing to laugh at. Now that i've come back and try playing PVP again i keep getting put in matches against groups of people with GS's of 15k+ I usually end up getting killed off within about 3-5 seconds of a combat starting with me doing little to no damage against my opponent.

So my question to Cryptic would be how hard would it be to actually set up PVP to match up people with similar GS's so that PVP matches can actually be even and not having the low rank players getting absolutely slaughtered? I enjoy PVP and i want to continue to play it, but I see no point and its no fun if im guaranteed to end up getting slaughtered every time i step off the podium. Please do something about this. My last 3 matches my entire group just quit because 3/5 the five of us were only about 8-9k whereas the other team had a 14-16k average. I and everyone else who participates in this game wants to have fun, but we can't when the only thing we get is frustration do to being overwhelmingly outclassed.
Post edited by mamoruk on

Comments

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just for the record - I got into a match today with all 10k+-1k GS pug players against a team of all 15k+ GS pug players (they had 20400 GS GWF lol).
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    right i get that but the thing is I still want to be able to have a chance in my PVP matches without having to go on endless gear hunts etc.
  • Options
    pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mamoruk wrote: »
    right i get that but the thing is I still want to be able to have a chance in my PVP matches without having to go on endless gear hunts etc.

That will simply not happen with this game's system

The harsh reality is: Gear up or don't queue :/

Unless they introduce brackets (8K vs 8K etc etc) then you'll suffer.
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Maybe Mod 5 will bring with it an actual match making system. Taking in to account Wins/Losses/Gear Score to place you in to fights.

The real reason why this still hasn't happened is because all the people with the really high GS will have to wait a long time for a match. And making these people wait is no good, because these are the people that dropped a lot of money on the game. They are also usually younger people with a mild ADHD that would simply drop the game and never return thus no more money from them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    lisaxxiilisaxxii Member Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014

8.5 GS was NEVER fine unless you were sub level 60. I mean even the bots have that...

The que problem is there aren't enough scrubs at this GS queuing so they cannot have multiple instances of 5v5 consisting of mostly 9k GS and below.

Spend around 15 minutes and improve your gear?

So in closing, don't que until you get some better enchants, and your boons, OR que up and get face stomped till you can buy some tenacity gear.

Sorry, but it's PvP man..... What do you expect?
    Enemy Team
  • Options
    rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Whoever here was the 8K guy, PM me in game and I'll personally gear you up to 10K. You're not gonna make me less broke than I already am. That's how inexpensive it is!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Gotta love how a new character with a low gear score is called a scrub. I'd rather be a scrub than an arrogant prick.

Just do PvP dailys, skirmish dailys, all dailys and get campaign boons. I understand why you wouldn't want to do any of that because it is pretty far from what I would consider to be fun. Make sure to get an artifact and upgrade it as best as you can. And grab a good Armor enchant and weapon enchant.

LOL @ 15 minutes. You think someone new(or returning) with 8.5k GS can take 15 minutes out of their day and be at 14K? More like take 50 bucks out of your account.

It will take a while so be prepared for the grinds. Get those boons and enchants and maybe in like 2 or 3 weeks you will be around 12-13k GS. Unless you have a LOT of time to spend on this game then you could reach a better score quicker. I am going to assume though that you don't have a lot of extra time to sink in to a hobby like this.

Even when you get your gear score up, you will see that things are never equal. This games cash advantage is way too strong. Just play and have fun. When you aren't having fun any more just find something else. If you expect to catch up in gear score in any kind of relatively timely manner you should be prepared to pour countless Hours in to the game or a big healthy heap of cash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I mean I did the 0-60 grind on my first character for the frist 2 weeks this game was out, and I had fun and I enjoyed the PVP aspect and everything. And i'm willing to go search for the greater gear i mean I got the glory points to get the full set of PVP gear for my class, and least the first tier of it. Dunno if there are more yet haven't looked. As for the people who you say would lose interest because they're such highly geared I doubt that's true. because it would seem like there are plenty of highly geared individuals.

And i'm trying to do my dailies but i can't do my PVP ones because they require me to win. If i can't get on a decent enough team to win then i can't complete them.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    @OP:

This is how this game makes money, from people like you.

The game puts you in a situation that frustrates the hell out of you. PvP fun? Sure is, if you could ONLY play it with people at the same gear and skill. Well nope, that won't happen. You will get repeatedly put against geared people.

This is the moment where the developer hopes you are frustrated enough to spend money on Zen to shortcut the huge grind (hint: grinding alone won't put you on par with the cashers).

I wouldn't bother if I were you to be honest, unless you're prepared to spend, and spend BIG TIME. Money, and/or time as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I've never been a P2W type of player. I never remembered seeing actual armor and weapons being sold on the Zen market though. I don't mind going through the process of gearing up etc. but as a game developer myself this IMO is a bad plan to have these players completely alienated in an aspect of a game they want to play. The entire PVP tier system is made up of like leveled and equipped players all the way up to lvl 60, and now that they get there they have to deal with getting completely roflstomped in match after match unless they're the 1 undergeared person in an otherwise highly geared team. And if it is cryptics prerogative to force these players to spend real money just to get gear in the game then its likely they'll end up losing more players in the end.

As for the few players that have already bought their way to the top, why would the devs care at that point if they stopped because they already have the money they got out of them. Just saying, cater to your majority rather than the 5-10% that have already made it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I never remembered seeing actual armor and weapons being sold on the Zen market though.

It's not really how it works.

You need AD, lots of it, to purchase Refining Points for:

- Enchantments
    - Artifacts
    - Artifact Weapon/Belt

While you can purchase RP from the Zen Store, it's cheaper to buy from the people that farm the stuff, in the AH.

How can you make AD fast? Farming it takes FOREVER, think MONTHS, and you won't get to max gear level at all.

You buy Zen with real money. You sell Zen for AD on the Exchange. You buy items and RP, refine at your heart will.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    that makes more sense. However that same gear you can get by going through the dungeons etc. as far as i can tell or spending your glory. I know some you can only get through AD merchants. I'm just not a big fan of P2W it cheapens the experience for me, and IMO the experience that the devs intend for the game itself. Call me a purist, but in the end I don't think it would be a great detriment to the game itself if it kept it's tiering system in past lvl 60. They have it in the Dungeons of needing a particular GS to even attempt them, so how hard would it be to have an auto placing for people with a particular GS?
  • Options
    iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    @OP:

This is how this game makes money, from people like you.

The game puts you in a situation that frustrates the hell out of you. PvP fun? Sure is, if you could ONLY play it with people at the same gear and skill. Well nope, that won't happen. You will get repeatedly put against geared people.

This is the moment where the developer hopes you are frustrated enough to spend money on Zen to shortcut the huge grind (hint: grinding alone won't put you on par with the cashers).

I wouldn't bother if I were you to be honest, unless you're prepared to spend, and spend BIG TIME. Money, and/or time as well.

+1000 to the guy that understands this stuff. It is the same reason that the RNG isn't the same for each player for important items :) lots of games people. Lots of games. Just figure out how they work and use it to your advantage.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    how hard would it be to have an auto placing for people with a particular GS?

You won't get it to happen. They implemented an ELO based system which is not properly functional due to low game population.

The gear is NOT what separates people in this game. Gear is quite easy to get with very few exceptions, where the RNG of the drop can drive one insane.

What separates people is Refining, as I mentioned above.

- rank 10 enchantments
    - legendary artifacts, belt, weapon later on

You can go by with r9s and epics in PvP and be relatively successful (these you can achieve by farming for months and selling the BoE gear/playing the AH smartly), but being at a continuous disadvantage against those that have better gear is still not fun.
  • Options
    wachumpongwachumpong Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    my guess from this is...
    only 10-20% of population doing pvp dominions
    atm if you queue you need to wait like 1 min below or above to pop the queue icon

if they make the pvp system like 5v5 of 8k gs, 5v5 of 10kgs etc i guess you need to wait an hr then to start the pvp
  • Options
    hoofithoofit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree that PvP matchmaking needs to be redone.
    To me the leader board is meaningless as you cant class a 17k+ team that goes up against a 10k to 13k team as a winning team its not a fight but a slaughter.
    Ive been on both sides pvp matchmaking is pretty bad and no fun if you slaughter or are slaughtered its much more fun when you are neck and neck all the way to the finnish.
    I'd reset the leader board and match at GS level with kills/deaths/wins and loses taken into consideration too.
    I see people who hate Pvp and say they wont do it again because they get into a match only to be set up on by a bully because they havent got a good gs, needless to say I put the bully in his place and encourage the low gs player and on a few occasions have bought the low gs player full purple sets of gear using all my hard earned ad which then I have to re earn for weeks grinding but its worth it.
    And NO dont pm me and ask for gear I don't have PM enabled and can spot a piddle taker from Mars, I see you.........O-O
    Yeah so please fix matchmaking to make it more fair.
    Thanks Cryptic fellows and lasses
  • Options
    iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Yeah it needs serious fix =/ i don't think anyone is happy with how it performs now.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    PvP needs gear limitations full stop. I'll make the 2 basic analogies and you can compare the game to pvp only competitive games.

A boxing match is 2 guys the same size with the same gloves punching to see who the best boxer is for 12 rounds or less. If boxing was like Neverwinter the first guy could have a 100 pounds on the other guy and knuckledusters and people would say the second guy should have roided up and brought a gun.

If chess was like Neverwinter you would have to buy the pieces and your opponent can start with more of them than you, you wan't a rook? That'll be 25 bucks. Thanks. Now you can get to nodes on time.

PvP is ludicrous. If in the pistol rounds of a cs game one team could pay five real world bucks and start with aks and armour the game would be dead more or less overnight. That would be the end of it. In mmos people are cool with that because they're scared of balanced games.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    PvP needs gear limitations full stop

You people don't get it after so much explaining.

This is the lifeblood of the game. FRUSTRATION. It makes people spend real money.

If you make things fair, there will be lots of satisfaction, no frustration.

Let's put in the hypothetical situation where:

- there are 3 PvP sets of gear. No enchants, no fancy stuff - 3 sets. That is all.
    - based on PvP ranking, you get to buy the next set.
    - you will PvP solely against people with the same set, ELO still in place

Things would go amazingly well for the players and PvP would thrive, with all the advantages taken away from the big spenders and so on.

Combat in this game is the best an MMO have seen. All the focus would be on SKILL, STRATEGY and COMMUNICATION - not gearing up. My guess is that this would make everybody happy.

But no frustration, no money spent. Why spend, if you can get all through gameplay? Right?

Well, no, not actually. A developer that trusts their product would make money out of cosmetics and fan devotion.

Cryptic is not trusting themselves enough to make PvP an entirely skill-based affair though.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    magiquepurse gets it. This is a business after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    its not that we don't get it. Its that we're not happy with it.
  • Options
    bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Add hats. Monetize hats.

There. Revenue problems solved.
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW