test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loading Maps Taking a Long Time

raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2014 in The Foundry
I don't know if it's just me but, a map I've been working on since last Mod has suddenly started lagging horribly whenever I try to either play or enter 3d mode to edit it. I haven't touched it up until yesterday and figured maybe it was something weird and would be better the next day.

Boy was I wrong.

At the moment, it takes me over 3 minutes to even get in to play my map.

I am at over 1k details, if that even matters.

So, anyone else having this issue with Foundry or what?
Part of Storm-Shore, a RP/PvE guild. http://www.stormshore.com/

I have many alts, I am a class and race rainbow.
Post edited by raptorskyfire on

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It must be a problem with that map in particular, I've had no trouble testing mine and it has 1550 assets currently.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1550 in budget does not mean 1550 assets (details). A single house takes 5+.

And no its not map issue, it takes longer the more details and dynamically linked objects and dialogues etc u have. For that very reason i usually cant withstand more than half an hour of editing one of my maps (at least its getting close to be done) as it takes minutes to load and a real pain to edit due to the 2d editing ui bug.

Get used to it ^^.

ps: will have to try now since i saw some dev notes about improvements on fx8/multicore cpus in general, also have to say i just a couple of times instaloaded instances during gameplay, will c
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Last mod I had no issues, I've said that before. It has to do with something that's happened this mod, else, because I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall NW since Mod 4, everything got messed up.

Again: I had NO trouble loading my map before Tyranny of Dragons. Since the new mod I have. The game loads fine for me. Only when I'm editing my foundry I've been working on sporadically for weeks do I get lag. The assets and basic build of the map has gone unchanged up until I went in and checked to make sure everything was still well.

I shouldn't have to get used to it when it was NOT a problem before the recent mod.

Either it's just some weird issue on my end (that I can't figure out) or something, because like I said, this wasn't happening during Mod 3.

I do have a quadcore CPU though, so unless that's it, I have no clue.

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Have you tried with other foundry maps? making a new map and seeing if it happens too?
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    That's what I'm going to try later on today to see what happens. If it's the same then something has to be up.

edited August 2014
    Okay, here's what I deduced:

Extra Large Detailed Map - 3-4 minutes That's with nothing I've added it to it, it's just the ones you select for Outdoor.
    Small Flat Map with nothing on it - 3-4 minutes Again, nothing was added, it was just a selected map which I went into 3-D mode on as before.
    Conclusion: It doesn't matter how many assets were placed, I'm still taking forever to load.

I tried one of my guild mates suggestions of switching my gfx to DX9 - No change.

And then when I tried another map, I got Disconnected from Server. This leaves me to believe that something between me and the server is hicupping and going haywire. It's happened before between me and that patch server (using tracert). Though, interestingly enough, it's not loading the editor or 2D part, only going to play the map and get into 3D mode.

It would seem that I am entirely alone in this matter as well. *sighs* I really don't want to have to get used to waiting forever to load a map. I had no troubles beforehand.

• maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Happens in new clean project as well? Also ur normal gameplay is unaffected? Besides fullcheck and maybe cleaning the temp folder (there is a cache folder for each project) nothing comes on mind (well except connection and/or cpu issues).
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
    edited August 2014
    That's what I tested with: brand new maps and projects.

Normal gameplay is unaffected. The only times I lag is during HEs with 20+ people.

Also, as I mentioned before, it's a clean install of Neverwinter, in other words, brand new, fresh start, I had to wipe the hard drive. The lag started as soon as I hit play in my project which I hadn't opened since I'd wiped the drive and reinstalled, so clearing the cache isn't going to help if there was none from the beginning. But, I can try that, and I assumed, at some point, that perhaps that could be it, that it just doesn't have everything, but with the new maps, that's not true.

Already did a full check on files thanks to a game error once, though this was before I messed around in the Foundry since clean install.

If there's issues with the CPU, I should have issues within the game, no? Loading zones and dungeons is normal as usual and there's no issues there.

If the Foundry maps are on a separate server, that could be it. I might have to try a foundry of someone else in game and see if maybe that lags and maybe there's some possible connection there. If not, I guess I'd have to try tech support.

• mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was going to suggest hard drive fragmentation or drive space issues, but you said you wiped the drive. Perhaps files are getting cached and if you continue to go to a given foundry map load times will improve to a more normal length.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.