test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP Guardian Fighters - Preferred Paragon and Path

thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hello fellow iron-clad warriors.

I'd like to try and gauge the make-up of GFs in PVP to see if we are as versatile as I believe we are. In my mind I feel that both paragons and all 3 paths offer something in PVP. So, if you don't mind selecting the applicable Paragon and path and then maybe writing a bit on how you perform, such as your K-D ratio, W-L ration and your ranking. I know none of the latter are 100% indicative of your individual performance as a bad party can mask your performance, but it is as close as one can get to see how you are performing.

I'll go first:

Iron Vanguard Tactician
Page 32 (as of last night)
25 Wins, 13 Losses
310 Kills, 106 Deaths

Reason why I went for Tactican is that we are now a major target and tend to get focused most of the time. The Tactician capstone generates AP when not blocking, so the build I am running allows me to make regular use of dailies. This is particularly useful with the rise of the CW. We still take damage but we can at least get to the CW when Villian's Menace is up. The AP buff is also given to your party members if they are close. Further benefits are faster cooldowns, increased damage against targets you have stunned/proned, lower damage against your allies from targets you have marked (one way to prolong the life of a DC near you) and Anvil of Doom is a 1-second stun.
PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
Post edited by thestaggy on

Comments

• user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Character name: Peacemaker
    Iron Vanguard Protector

I've never checked the leaderbords so I don't know my stats.
    Since mod 4 I've tested a few things out. I just like being a tank which is why I went protector. And since I also PVE I like the IronVanguard's frontline surge to kill mobs.
    For PVE I've nestled into a Bull Charge, Iron Warrior, Knights Valour; reflect dmg setup. I do get some kills in with the bullcharge. This setup is quite dependant on the group I get. If its a great group I'll swap 'bull charge' for 'into the frey' and just let my group do all the work.
    It does suffer for the 1 on 1 fights but if I want to run around capturing nodes I'll switch to the old lunging strike, bull charge, frontline surge/other setup.

Not too big a fan of frontline surge for pvp anymore. So much immunity now a days.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    user4035 wrote: »
    Character name: Peacemaker
    Iron Vanguard Protector

I've never checked the leaderbords so I don't know my stats.
    Since mod 4 I've tested a few things out. I just like being a tank which is why I went protector. And since I also PVE I like the IronVanguard's frontline surge to kill mobs.
    For PVE I've nestled into a Bull Charge, Iron Warrior, Knights Valour; reflect dmg setup. I do get some kills in with the bullcharge. This setup is quite dependant on the group I get. If its a great group I'll swap 'bull charge' for 'into the frey' and just let my group do all the work.
    It does suffer for the 1 on 1 fights but if I want to run around capturing nodes I'll switch to the old lunging strike, bull charge, frontline surge/other setup.

Not too big a fan of frontline surge for pvp anymore. So much immunity now a days.

Interesting setup. I can see how that would be very reliant on your party being good for you to succeed.

I myself stopped using Frontline a long time ago in PVP.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nice thread :)

I am:
    Swordmaster Conq.
    Page 64 (as of last night)
    47 Wins, 35 Losses
    828 Kills, 378 Deaths

I was IV protector in early 60s,then swordmaster protector and for a long time i am now SwordM Conq.
    I chosen swordmaster cause it helps tremendeously in pve.Steel defence + Villain's Menace allow me to jump in red or to tank hard hiiting adds.The less and more powerfull the better for me .
    Conq i think it helps in pvp.For my opinion offence>defence in pvp.And conq offers the best offense from the three paths.
    I think to swap to IV Conq.It is centainly better for pvp however i cannot afford to lose steel defence for pve.

For pvp my rotation is Lunging Strike,Flourish,AoDoom.My feats are combat superiority and steel defence( unfortuantely the Steel grace wich would help Gfs immenselly does not work in pvp.It is bugged for ever)
    My dailies are Villain's and Crescendo.

My sets are Knight captain for pve or purified black ice set.For pvp i go sometimes with pure sometimes with corrupted.60% of the time corrupted is better but there is also a 40% where a pure shines.
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I'm swordmaster qonq and I get over 20 kills with 0 deaths a lot lol. The main reason I choose swordmaster is for the daily, I love it and it really helps when fighting hr, cw and tr since its automatic stun, then prone and it teliports you towards them haha.

Running full purified black ice set and its working well. I'm not sure why lots of people say swordmaster is bad for pvp because its not and hardly different from iron vanguard, so I think it just depends on playstyle and your favorite powers.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm swordmaster conq too. I haven't been doing much domination yet (too much to do right now in game). For the numbers, from what I remember (can be off by a few) victory/defeat : 7/2, Kill/death : 90/27, page around 100-150.

I'm not yet very fixed on my rotation and still adapting : I'm currently enjoying lunging strike/Anvil of Doom/Into the Fray, with Crushing surge and Weapon Master Strike as At wills and Villains and Crecendo as Dailies.

I'm in Profound.

After a difficult start (2 or 3 matches to get a grip on the new possibilities), I did fairly good the last matches. (lot of kills and very few deaths)
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • pilipino93pilipino93 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Swordmast conq as well. Always went IV conq. After mod4 the dps increased and switched to sm and it increased even more. That plus steel grace + crescendo is very fun to use, ranged daily that stuns and prones and then get some dmge immunity during and after. Can't get enough of it in pvp x3.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    IV Conquerer. Tab mark + threatening rush mark is took good to give up. I can lunging strike NPCs for 7-8k damage. 5-7k damage on enemy PvPers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    Great feedback, guys.

I thought Conqueror would be the dominant path, but I am surprised that it is neck-and-neck between IV and SM. From my perspective, the only thing that is stopping me from going SM is the loss of Threatening Rush. It most definitely comes down to personal preference, but I just feel too slow when I've tried SM. I love the idea of Steel Defence on a Tactician - if it does not interfere with AP gain, I have not tested it.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was SM Conq last mod but things change. After Mod 4 hit and I started the regular Doms again I found myself slotting Steel Defence less and less in favor of Guarded Assault and since the other passive is always Combat Superiority the SM path became obsolete for me. The unlimited gap closer being exclusive to GFs only is also very nice, I still forget to use it as often as I should thanks to being a SM so long but that will change. There are two major reasons for a GF to be a SM in PVP and those are Steel Defence and Crescendo. Once the passive goes out of the picture the daily is all that remains but its not enough. GFs have awesome dailies to pick from anyway, many awesome single target enounters too which makes Flourish kinda redundant.. and that brings us to PVE.

I made the SM to IV switch recently and my solo PVE experience improved greatly. The SM is too single target oriented. Now with FLS on 14 sec CD , ET and another encounter with feated Cleave my solo PVE is a fast and fun ride again.

So unless Cryptic makes some drastic changes Mod 4 will be IV Conq for me.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    edited August 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Great feedback, guys.

I thought Conqueror would be the dominant path, but I am surprised that it is neck-and-neck between IV and SM. From my perspective, the only thing that is stopping me from going SM is the loss of Threatening Rush. It most definitely comes down to personal preference, but I just feel too slow when I've tried SM. I love the idea of Steel Defence on a Tactician - if it does not interfere with AP gain, I have not tested it.

What do you mean?
    Threatening Rush is a basic GF skill. So you can still use it in either IV or SM.
  • inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What do you mean?
    Threatening Rush is a basic GF skill. So you can still use it in either IV or SM.

No you can't. Threatening rush is IV only.
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC
    edited August 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    I was SM Conq last mod but things change. After Mod 4 hit and I started the regular Doms again I found myself slotting Steel Defence less and less in favor of Guarded Assault and since the other passive is always Combat Superiority the SM path became obsolete for me. The unlimited gap closer being exclusive to GFs only is also very nice, I still forget to use it as often as I should thanks to being a SM so long but that will change. There are two major reasons for a GF to be a SM in PVP and those are Steel Defence and Crescendo. Once the passive goes out of the picture the daily is all that remains but its not enough. GFs have awesome dailies to pick from anyway, many awesome single target enounters too which makes Flourish kinda redundant.. and that brings us to PVE.

I made the SM to IV switch recently and my solo PVE experience improved greatly. The SM is too single target oriented. Now with FLS on 14 sec CD , ET and another encounter with feated Cleave my solo PVE is a fast and fun ride again.

So unless Cryptic makes some drastic changes Mod 4 will be IV Conq for me.

I have always been Conqueror myself, but decided to try something new with Tactician. So far so good in both PVE and PVP. I believe the GF, along with the CW, is the one class that can now be effective in both formats and there really is no need to have two GFs to enjoy both aspects of the game. A quick change of gear and powers and I can jump right into CN after having some fun in PVP.

Solo content is a little slower as a Tactician, but getting VM up for just about every mob helps with that.

EDIT: I think I made a mistake with one of my Tactician feats. I took Terrifying Menace which turns Anvil of Doom into a stun, but I think taking Powerful Strike which turns Lunging Strike into a 100% interrupt would be better in PVP. Could assist in dealing with ranged casters as I can stop them dead in their tracks if I can get to them.
    edited August 2014
    What do you mean?

As inthere23 pointed out, Threatening Rush is exclusive to Iron Vanguards. Swordmasters get Weapon Master's Strike in place of Threatening Rush. The basic GF skills are Cleave, Tide of Iron and Crushing Surge.
    edited August 2014
    I have always been Conqueror myself, but decided to try something new with Tactician. So far so good in both PVE and PVP. I believe the GF, along with the CW, is the one class that can now be effective in both formats and there really is no need to have two GFs to enjoy both aspects of the game. A quick change of gear and powers and I can jump right into CN after having some fun in PVP.

Solo content is a little slower as a Tactician, but getting VM up for just about every mob helps with that.

EDIT: I think I made a mistake with one of my Tactician feats. I took Terrifying Menace which turns Anvil of Doom into a stun, but I think taking Powerful Strike which turns Lunging Strike into a 100% interrupt would be better in PVP. Could assist in dealing with ranged casters as I can stop them dead in their tracks if I can get to them.

The LS interrupt is awesome on paper but im not so sure about actual combat. You pretty much face two types of people - good and not soo good ( lets be civil here ). The good ones cast a range cc in mid LS and they stop ya, the not so good ones dont even notice you and fall too quickly for the interrupt to matter.

Man im getting tired of random PUGs, with the current state of the classes it almost doesnt matter how good you are, all that matters is 'are those other 4 people even remotely capable in a dom' ?. In one of my daily doms last night a 13k pve wizard from my team was top dog scorewis and that was with two above 17K PVP GWFs on team..and we lost too lol
    Maybe I should join a pvp guild with both my toons
    edited August 2014
    The LS interrupt is awesome on paper but im not so sure about actual combat. You pretty much face two types of people - good and not soo good ( lets be civil here ). The good ones cast a range cc in mid LS and they stop ya, the not so good ones dont even notice you and fall too quickly for the interrupt to matter.

Man im getting tired of random PUGs, with the current state of the classes it almost doesnt matter how good you are, all that matters is 'are those other 4 people even remotely capable in a dom' ?. In one of my daily doms last night a 13k pve wizard from my team was top dog scorewis and that was with two above 17K PVP GWFs on team..and we lost too lol
    Maybe I should join a pvp guild with both my toons

Fair point. Good CWs are already trapping me mid lunge already.

I had a match in which we had a combined 86 kills, the CW getting 40 alone, and four of us occupied the first 4 places on the leaderboard. The enemy tea had a combined 25 kills. We lost. . . PUGS chase nodes, that is the problem. Instead of staying at mid the other 4 moved around in a great big group and got lured into repeatedly killing the two perma-running GWFs off node, so I was left as the only one trying to hold nodes.
    edited August 2014
    Fair point. Good CWs are already trapping me mid lunge already.

I had a match in which we had a combined 86 kills, the CW getting 40 alone, and four of us occupied the first 4 places on the leaderboard. The enemy tea had a combined 25 kills. We lost. . . PUGS chase nodes, that is the problem. Instead of staying at mid the other 4 moved around in a great big group and got lured into repeatedly killing the two perma-running GWFs off node, so I was left as the only one trying to hold nodes.

And your GF ended up on the bottom of the score board ? Just wondering cause thats what happens usually
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And your GF ended up on the bottom of the score board ? Just wondering cause thats what happens usually
    Not necessarily. If you're able to capture nodes, you'll gain points. A GF doing its job can be top of the board too.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
    edited August 2014

No, I was 4th overall, but because I kept on retaking mid and home. I'd clear mid, hold for as long as I could before dying then come back to cap home and hold mid. I also got a lot of kills while trying to hold mid, so I got a lot of defending bonuses. Individually we were better but had no tactics and nobody would listen. Their GWFs were smart. Both of them had double-digit deaths but they were effective in getting my team to chase them around and fight off node. So many times would 3 of my teammates go and chase one of them up the stairs and stuff around.

I have finished matches dead last in the past though being the pinata at mid while my team derped around.
    edited August 2014
    Heh, I'm reading all over the place that people think the Knights Valor is overpowered. No wonder I called it 'pvp lazy mode'.
    I've played alot more and I literally just activate knights valor, use Iron Warrior when the stamina gets low, and bull charge any problem enemies. You sit in the middle node and keep your teammates close by. So easy.

As inthere23 pointed out, Threatening Rush is exclusive to Iron Vanguards. Swordmasters get Weapon Master's Strike in place of Threatening Rush. The basic GF skills are Cleave, Tide of Iron and Crushing Surge.

Ya, I was confused with lunging strike. I should avoid the forums when I'm tired.
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At the moment I run my trusty IV Conq spec it has served me well since the beginning of mod 2 to now lol. but my allocation has fluctuated a few times(many) trying to find something i like for the conq spec either with full conq or conq cap and 10 points between prot and tact, or all prot, or all tact.

But with the changes to the cw i have gotten to the point where I may just sacrifice my dps build and go swordmaster tactician and go for a high ap gain build but I still enjoy smacking cws when they are not locked onto me which then leads to a quick death for them.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter