techforyoutechforyou Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Thieves' Den
TR Whisperknife isn't viable ?
Post edited by techforyou on

Comments

• Options
    pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is if you spec "Perfect Perma stealth" aka NEVER,EVER becoming visible.

Even Master Infiltrators puts their guard up against this kind of build. I keep running into fellow rogues who are MI and I always get comments like "Gah you're one of these f*cukers"

I might record a video running a few matches with my main (WhisperKnife), I need to find a viable recording software though.

But yeah, WK is inferior overall to MI but if you spec it correctly you can equal or even surpass them. It is HIGHLY underrated.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    But i can build my TR with saboteur perma stealth ?
    Because i can't see any guide here on Forum.. about whisperknife lol
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    techforyou wrote: »
    But i can build my TR with saboteur perma stealth ?
    Because i can't see any guide here on Forum.. about whisperknife lol

If you want I can give you my build. I'm in college right now, I can PM you it when I come back.

I came back from a long vacation yesterday and played for the first time since the Leaderboards reset, and I'm already on page 14. This should give you an idea about how decent it is. You have to have perfect timing though... you get caught ONCE and you're dead period.

I'll give you the details tonight but to sum it up this build is around stamina regenration, the pro of this is that you don't even need high INT (I have 15). With that, you can rank up other ability scores for damage or something else.
  • Options
    lemonchilllemonchill Member Posts: 523 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    wk is an advanced version of im, better dps, better survivability.
    anyone that says that wk sucks, have no idea how to use wk to the max. i admit im a 16k gs tr and can handle mob running raging at me but at the same time i only recently understood how to max my dps and how to max my wk abilities and it is an amazing path!
    u dont have to be perma-stealth any more! thank god devs will terminate this perma-stealth option in coming month by improving trs dps and changing some abilities.
    i personally use bis or dread armor and have no problem with it.
    wk scoundrel is the way to go now for dps and survivability.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Okey thank you very much !!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm a bit curious about the true perma WK, as far as i know, even permas get SOME window of visibility, and MIs can cover it with ItC but we Wks have nothing. I don't know if it's possible to never ever be seen as you say.
    I'm a all ranged non perma WK and it's pretty fun, even if we lack the punch that DF gives MIs, we have range and it's a great advantage against many classes. I'm in and out of stealth all the time and it works pretty good. I'm no near the best in PVP but it's fun to me and I manage to get some kills and not get killed too much.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    dakburdakbur Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I think I'm currently around page 10 in the rankings as a Sabatour WK.

WK can not compete in single target damage with MI DF. You can only kill crappy TRs or those with bad gear. You cant kill BiS ultra tanky builds of GWF, DC, or HR (at least not in a timely fashion... maybe if you had 10 minutes and no interruptions). If you can accept those failings and the fact that you can not do high end premades, then it is very viable (at least if you have the DPS). Having said all that, WK is great for the other 99% and puggers... I can take on 3 or 4 opposing players at a time and send them all running with their tail between their legs at 20% HP. Because disheart strike is a DoT, you can keep pumping DPS on multiples at once while they frantically run around trying to find you as you stand 30 feet away.

I disagree with the comment about perma, I think you MUST be perma to get the most out of WK. To me, the only reason to go WK is to be able to kill without getting face to face. If you are going to do that,then you may as well use DF.

I further disagree with the comment that if you get caught, you are dead... I get caught all the time and rarely die. I have 37kHP, 1500 tenacity, so maybe of you dont have to gear you could forgo defense for offense. I dunno.
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I'm a bit curious about the true perma WK, as far as i know, even permas get SOME window of visibility, and MIs can cover it with ItC but we Wks have nothing. I don't know if it's possible to never ever be seen as you say.
    I'm a all ranged non perma WK and it's pretty fun, even if we lack the punch that DF gives MIs, we have range and it's a great advantage against many classes. I'm in and out of stealth all the time and it works pretty good. I'm no near the best in PVP but it's fun to me and I manage to get some kills and not get killed too much.

I cover it up with smoke bomb or hateful knives. I've had 32% recharge and still had small windows where I would lose stealth. Ive now dropped it all the way down to 26% (I ran at 24% for a while, but had 0 room for error to maintain stealth.)
  • Options
    mxtimemxtime Member Posts: 316 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    perma wk is viable build with ss,pob,bait and all ranged
    works realy good with dc artifact and p vorpal
    since bile nerf its even better then it was
  • Options
    edited August 2014

The secret lies in Stamina regeneration and dodges. You can add me in-game (@pandoratanaka) and I will show you it at the trade of blades. I will NEVER come visible. I don't even need to "Cover it up" with smoke bomb or something else.
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2014

What I used to do Box, back when whispers first came out was a perma based build with all ranged (master thrower) using SS BaS and Impact shot for my third encounter. Started out by hitting with DS in stealth until I got a crit proc, then CoS afterwards still from stealth. Most squishies would just melt from this but when they didn't and my stealth was wearing out, I used Impact Shot spam to stun and essentially lock them from being able to attack me whilst my SS recharged and also dealing out stupid damage. My Impacts fritted for 15k very often so if they weren't dead after 4 I was back in stealth by then. Ah those were the days...
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    dakbur wrote: »
    I further disagree with the comment that if you get caught, you are dead... I get caught all the time and rarely die. I have 37kHP, 1500 tenacity, so maybe of you dont have to gear you could forgo defense for offense. I dunno.
    )

I was mainly talking about CW's.

20 or 50K HP doesn't make a single difference for CW right now, sadly.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    pandora1x wrote: »

I've yet to be killed in a single rotation by a solo CW.

I've had a few close calls, but usually the most they can get off on me down to is ~25%health... More often around 50%, before I'm safely back in stealth.

My deaths pretty much always come when I'm being careless or CCd with 2+ enemies in the fight or was <100%HP when caught.
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes WK is very viable. Takes more forethought and a much different play style than a MI.

To who ever was saying something about WK not equaling an MI DF damage .. well.. If you are eating DF's as a WK - any WK- but especially as a perma WK - then you are doing it way beyond wrong.

WK is one of the nest classes at making MI Perma become useless. IF you're team is having problems with MI Permas, this is the only shining moment where Vengeance Pursuit becomes very useful.

As soon as you see them mark them. Then at your leisure instant teleport to where ever they are trying to hide when they are invisible.

VP Teleporting to them while they are stealth always catches them off guard and you will either land some CoS or and Encounter on them, but most importantly it will show you which direction they dodge rolled away. I highly suggest just tapping them with CoS after you Vp at them.

Essentially all you need to do is find them for 1 second, and land some CoS in them then play "Chase the floating daggers" and it will end up with them running away or getting focused down. Just keep tapping them with a couple CoS to keep the visual up on the screen for everyone. and tell your group in /party to chase and kill the floating daggers. Because floating daggers = perma TR (Usually MI)

It is all about pressure. Apply the pressure and test the enemy players ability to react and stay calm and still do what he was planning to. You will find that most players can't handle the pressure put on them and it makes their movement and rotation timing fall apart rather quickly.

Plus Dis Strike is such a powerful at will, I would argue it is much better than DF against good players, because the main damage part of DF is easily dodgable. While all WK needs to do is tap you with 1 crit Dis Strike and you are taking so much damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A couple build ideas and play tactics for whisperknives mentioned in this thread:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?724201-CC-break-for-WK-TR-s-gt-lt/page2
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pandora1x wrote: »

The most important thing to surviving being caught by a CW I find is soulforged. Once that pops you are free of CC, dodge roll, back into stealth to recuperate.
  • Options
    chestnut13chestnut13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pantamime wrote: »
    Yes WK is very viable. Takes more forethought and a much different play style than a MI.

I have to admit, this thread makes me chuckle. It seems like it was a long time running that I touted that a WK was indeed viable! I have been extremely successful with it and always thought that someone more skillful than I and better geared could be a force with it. I am glad so many of you have seen fit to give it a go and are having success! And it most certainly does require forethought and a different playstyle and strategy compared to MI.

I'll have to check up with you guys on how you are doing in Mod 4 ... I am temporarily retired on my TR for a few reasons:

1. I wanted to level up a couple of alts to be able to earn some AD, and
    2. I was quite successful as a WK and not anywhere near perma. I felt that the mod 4 changes, particularly to CW's would be difficult for my build and the HP increases of other classes make it tough as well.
    3. I wanted to PVE my TR in order to upgrade artifacts and enchants.

As a side note, I was PVPing with my patheteic 9500K GS HR yesterday and pugged in as always and ended up with Sicarius on my team (thankfully). It was funny because I was saying to myself "Is that the real dude?" ... and checking GS and seeing 17.4 said "Yup" ... (What a matching engine!) I did not get to see too much of him as he backcapped the whole time and we won fairly easily. The whole team was 12K to 16K besides him and my lowly HR took 2nd on the leaderboard!!! Kind of cool to see that.

I can't wait to upgrade my WK a bit and get back in the saddle!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    pantamime wrote: »

To who ever was saying something about WK not equaling an MI DF damage .. well.. If you are eating DF's as a WK - any WK- but especially as a perma WK - then you are doing it way beyond wrong.

WK is one of the nest classes at making MI Perma become useless. IF you're team is having problems with MI Permas, this is the only shining moment where Vengeance Pursuit becomes very useful.

As soon as you see them mark them. Then at your leisure instant teleport to where ever they are trying to hide when they are invisible.

VP Teleporting to them while they are stealth always catches them off guard and you will either land some CoS or and Encounter on them, but most importantly it will show you which direction they dodge rolled away. I highly suggest just tapping them with CoS after you Vp at them.

Essentially all you need to do is find them for 1 second, and land some CoS in them then play "Chase the floating daggers" and it will end up with them running away or getting focused down. Just keep tapping them with a couple CoS to keep the visual up on the screen for everyone. and tell your group in /party to chase and kill the floating daggers. Because floating daggers = perma TR (Usually MI)

It is all about pressure. Apply the pressure and test the enemy players ability to react and stay calm and still do what he was planning to. You will find that most players can't handle the pressure put on them and it makes their movement and rotation timing fall apart rather quickly.

Plus Dis Strike is such a powerful at will, I would argue it is much better than DF against good players, because the main damage part of DF is easily dodgable. While all WK needs to do is tap you with 1 crit Dis Strike and you are taking so much damage.

You make a very excellent point vs other TRs. Honestly, since I gave up in VP so long ago, I never even considered it against TRs. I'll have to start swapping my SB out for VP, thanks... I'll report back my success on this.

However, I cant agree with your comments about DS > damage than DF.

I easily did more single target damage with DF than DS, even though I have 5.2k power & 27% ArP. I still have to swap DS out for DF when I encounter those insanely immune DC's. Otherwise they generally laugh at me. DS damage is just too spread out to be reliable for burst in PvP.
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I meant that the total gain from Dis Strike is better against good players. Good players know how to time a Perma's DF attacks and their general movement patter within a node. It is very easy for seasoned players to avoid DF most of the time in 1v1 scenarios. Group scenarios is different. And a good TR against someone who doesn't understand how a good TR plays with DF will obviously be shredded.

I do agree that DF is a better burst skill, I did not mean that Dis was a better burst skill. It is a sustained DPS on every target you can see, and it jives really well with life steal as well as lowering the targets damage out put which is always nice.

But yes I guarantee you with the proper use of VP you will flush other permas out of stealth easy peasy. Something fun to do is use the teleport function of VP and immediately hit Tab for stealth so you arrive at the stealth rogue in your own stealth. The element of surprise allows you a guaranteed hit of at least some daggers or an encounter, depending on the encounter. Using Impact shot to stun them and guarantee CoS hits is one of my favorites. Then just watch where they roll and follow the floating daggers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter