test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Focused Wizardry clarifiation

zeet16zeet16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Library
I'm looking to compile a list of some of the CW abilities affected by the Focused Wizardry feat and how they are categorized between what the feat considers single target and aoe. I know some of them are weird (like I've read that CoI is considered single target).

I'm guessing on some of these and only going off forum posts for the rest. I have not used the feat before and want to figure this out before I invest in another respec.

Please let me know if I have anything wrong:

Single Target:
All at-wills
CoI
Elemental Empowerment
Assailing Force
Storm Spell

AOE
Icy Terrain
Sudden Storm
Shard
Steal Time

Thanks.
Post edited by zeet16 on

Comments

• yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Fanning the Flames is considered single target ,but when tabbed it's Aoe. So it would be interesting to see how focused wizardry deals with such powers.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I really, really, really doubt that Cryptic coded things so that it makes a difference if it's on tab or not. I wager that Chill Strike and Fanning the Flame are both set as single-target powers regardless of slotting.

I would be very, very surprised if CoI counts as single-target given that there is no actual way to make it into a single target power. It is always AoE regardless of encounter slot, but then again it is Cryptic so who knows. I'm looking forward to your data before doing another MoF build.

(Specifically, I'm really interested to see if the subparts of FtF count as single-target damage as well. If so, FtF might actually still be a good choice for Tab. The recharge nerf hurt FtF pretty badly when looking at it side-by-side with CoI and the new freeze mechanic.)

Oh, just to put it out there Smolder apparently counts as single-target for Focused Wizardry.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    spacejew wrote: »
    I really, really, really doubt that Cryptic coded things so that it makes a difference if it's on tab or not. I wager that Chill Strike and Fanning the Flame are both set as single-target powers regardless of slotting.

I would be very, very surprised if CoI counts as single-target given that there is no actual way to make it into a single target power. It is always AoE regardless of encounter slot, but then again it is Cryptic so who knows. I'm looking forward to your data before doing another MoF build.

(Specifically, I'm really interested to see if the subparts of FtF count as single-target damage as well. If so, FtF might actually still be a good choice for Tab. The recharge nerf hurt FtF pretty badly when looking at it side-by-side with CoI and the new freeze mechanic.)

Oh, just to put it out there Smolder apparently counts as single-target for Focused Wizardry.

Chill strike counts as AoE once you put it on tab if the tool tips are to believed, I lost 30% of the damage switching over from normal to tab.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    Chill strike counts as AoE once you put it on tab if the tool tips are to believed, I lost 30% of the damage switching over from normal to tab.

Well, there goes that idea anyway. I guess FtF really is dead in the water then. Oh well!
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • zeet16zeet16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    spacejew wrote: »

I totally agree with your logic, but the only reason why I put CoI in the single target list is because of other posts I've seen where people have stated that the feat counts it as a single target ability. Makes no sense to me either.
  • cvk777cvk777 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well it's weird.. CoI, Sudden Storm, Icy Terrain count as single target when you use Evocation Class Skill, but when u try to push their limits with feats like Focused Wizardry, then guess what.. they count as AoE.
  • zeet16zeet16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ok well I decided that I needed to figure this out once and for all so I downloaded ACT and did some combat logs myself. Bare in mind that I probably could have done this a little better, but this was my first time using the application and this is all very green to me (one thing is for sure is that I should have done a longer testing time to get more concrete results, but it is what it is).

Some notes first: I've got 12.5k Gearscore. I did 2 tests each for 2 minutes long against an isolated single target dummy. The first test is prior to my respec where I had 5/5 in Learned Spellcaster. The second test was after my respec where the only change I made was taking those 5/5 in Learned Spellcaster and putting 2/3 into Prestidigitation and 3/3 Focused Wizardry. I ran CoI on tab. I did the second test 3 times just to make sure I got similar results (which I did). I also started each test with a fully charged storm pillar... which I realized afterwords probably didn't help this test =\

Here's what I got:

Test 1:
    test1.png

Test 2:
    test3.png

It's pretty clear that my testing data was to small to make many conclusive notes here. And I'm not about to respec back just to get that that info so don't even ask ;) But there are a couple of things that you can certainly take home from this test:

- Overall damage is up about 10%.
    - In both cases, about 30% of my damage comes from Assailant which is clearly effected by this change.

The rest is pretty inconclusive due to the small testing size. I'll let you all draw your own conclusions though. Just thought I'd share what I came up with. Hope this helps some people.
  • dantesinferno76dantesinferno76 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Interesting. Looks like it's time for me to reinstall ACT so I can optimize my build.