test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Perm Stealth rogues are a thing now?

thomasz1thomasz1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I've played pvp and there are rogues that can kill me without ever leaving stealth, like wtf? I don't even get a opportunity to defend myself. Is this really what I got to look forward to in pvp? I normally love pvp, but in neverwinter, I try to avoid it now. Another thing is, Ranking System like wtf? Like two days ago when I was at like 10.5k Gs I was in a match against 19k plus players, hell there was a Gwf with like 21k. I'm just asking, Is this what they want?
Post edited by thomasz1 on

Comments

• rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Perma has been around since the early days and TR's have been repeatedly nerfed, leaving many with little alternative but to run a perma build. Plenty of discussions about it and myriad ways to counter them since they come in two flavors - stealthed or dead.

The ranking system appears to very much be a work in progress...
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You can kill them when you're in melee range, it requires you to estimate where they'll go. Other options are things like aoe attacks, which will reveal the TR's location. Thornward is one of the best counters to TR stealther, as it damages and shows you where he is.

A GF will more easily fight one of those, as he can even out the advantage stealth has as a sneak attack, by present a walled target...whilst moving. See a GF targetting a stealth rogue, follow his lunges and bullrushes. Any range attacks makes throwing sounds, which shows you exactly where somebody is if you have a good headphone.

As for pvp, it desperately needs an available second queue. As an example, having a requirement 10k+ gearscore to queue for it. As for the low gearscore first queue, it should have a limiter.

The limiter either does something like, preventing you from putting on armor in excess of 10k+ gearscore (which would still enable you to play in those gearscore types, if you put on the lower gear), or once you reach 10k gearscore...you get locked out(though this might split playerbase too much).
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I wouldn't complain about them too much right now.

HRs counter them pretty nicely. GFs are buffed. CWs are OP at the moment.

Given that all classes will stay relatively the same spot, I think TRs do not need any nerfing at the moment
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nerf tr much more and they will be defenseless chickens
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You can kill them when you're in melee range, it requires you to estimate where they'll go. Other options are things like aoe attacks, which will reveal the TR's location. Thornward is one of the best counters to TR stealther, as it damages and shows you where he is.

A GF will more easily fight one of those, as he can even out the advantage stealth has as a sneak attack, by present a walled target...whilst moving. See a GF targetting a stealth rogue, follow his lunges and bullrushes. Any range attacks makes throwing sounds, which shows you exactly where somebody is if you have a good headphone.

As for pvp, it desperately needs an available second queue. As an example, having a requirement 10k+ gearscore to queue for it. As for the low gearscore first queue, it should have a limiter.

The limiter either does something like, preventing you from putting on armor in excess of 10k+ gearscore (which would still enable you to play in those gearscore types, if you put on the lower gear), or once you reach 10k gearscore...you get locked out(though this might split playerbase too much).

It really needs 3 queues, but regardless, it should also be locked with tenacity score as well.

Frankly , perma has been there for quite awhile.. having another discussion seems odd.

You cannot remove it from them without giving them either more damage or more survivability or both. I don't even play a TR and I can see that.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Every game with rogues seems to try and put Stealth in, and every game seems to fail at it. The power to be invisible is a game changer. As soon as you make a class able to be invisible, that class is going to be defined by what it can do while invisible. Balance goes right out the window.
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As someone who plays as a permastealth rogue, let me just say (without giving details to make it harder for myself in the future) that we are ridiculously easy to outmaneuver. The only way I can be useful is if people don't realize there's a permastealth rogue on our team, or don't know how to deal with me.
  • gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What if, instead of nerfing another class, (which I don't have any real experience with, btw) we worked on improving our gear scores, reading our skills and feats and learning what our characters can do? Yes, if I take my 15.5 whatever into pvp with any 21.something k whatever, I'm going to die. If you take your 9.6k whatever into pvp and I'm there, chances are my hits will be bigger than yours. Does that mean I will always fail against higher geared players or that you will always fail against me? No, it means you have to learn how to counter what I do and I have to learn how to counter what they do.

Yes, I know, this is an unpopular stance.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not really permanent as you CAN see them at times. This is how you kill them (or me). If it was permanent then they'd have 0 deaths.

Probably should be called "Ninja Stealth" instead.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What if, instead of nerfing another class, (which I don't have any real experience with, btw) we worked on improving our gear scores, reading our skills and feats and learning what our characters can do? Yes, if I take my 15.5 whatever into pvp with any 21.something k whatever, I'm going to die. If you take your 9.6k whatever into pvp and I'm there, chances are my hits will be bigger than yours. Does that mean I will always fail against higher geared players or that you will always fail against me? No, it means you have to learn how to counter what I do and I have to learn how to counter what they do.

Yes, I know, this is an unpopular stance.

Nobody wants to punish people that have high gear scores. People just want things to be fair and a challenge. The person with 15k GS is probably going to win against a 9k GS, even if the 9k GS is more skilled at their class. Im fine with that, as the 15k person has earned that right. However, it seems wrong that people with 9k GS are put into a supposedly "logic" based selection process PVP arena with 15k GS people. Neither the 9k GS person nor the 15k GS person are getting a fair fight.

Yes, life isnt always fair. However, if I register for a softball league with my team, I certainly don't want to play the Yankees. Celebrity value aside, the match is not really going to be fair.

The overall issue could be though the difference range in level 60's. The fact that with all level 60 epics, a person can be what, 15k gearscore higher than another person of the same level? Raise the level cap already or make alternative queues.
  • thomasz1thomasz1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As it is, They were able to hit me, without ever leaving stealth, and I wasn't able to hit them let alone target them, There should at least be glimmers of them when they attack, like so you can actually target them, cause atm I'm just getting spammed by their At-Wills and killed by them without ever seeing a glance of them. I understand perm-stealth out of combat, but being able to stay stealth throughout the whole fight is a little bs, especially when you can't hit them in stealth for the most part.
  • thomasz1thomasz1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm just gonna avoid PVP.
  • mojopowermojopower Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thomasz1 wrote: »
    I'm just gonna avoid PVP.

I usually use my lantern artifact, lights them up like cockroaches and then they scatter!!!
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "Perm Stealth rogues are a thing now?"

Yes. it's a thing, and it HAS been a thing the entire life of the game. It's already been updated, a few months ago people were lamenting the end of permastealth only to realize it was still possible just a tad harder and with a slightly different build/rotation. Stealth is the TR's thing, get used to it and learn to counter it rather than cry about it being too hard. Yes, it's hard to deal with and one-on-one if you don't know how to fight a perma TR, you'll get your *** handed to you. But, if you DO know what you're doing (and the two of you are more or less equal in stats), you won't. Every class has it's killer builds, and I could go through each one and explain what they can do to own in PvP and likewise how to counter that sort of build. Even GFs BEFORE mod4 could woop backside in PvP if the build was right and the player knew what the heck they were doing.

Please (and this is directed at the community at large), stop crying over other classes beating you in pvp and asking the devs to make it easier for you and instead spend that time learning how to play your character more effectively. There are plenty of really good resources out there for you, all you have to do is look around a bit.
    edited August 2014
    That sounds useful, I'mma get that artifact then, I'm playing a Warlock, So I have issues with the Area dmg/finding them in general, I will experiment with that, Thx Mojo
    edited August 2014
    kvet wrote: »
    "Perm Stealth rogues are a thing now?"

Yes. it's a thing, and it HAS been a thing the entire life of the game. It's already been updated, a few months ago people were lamenting the end of permastealth only to realize it was still possible just a tad harder and with a slightly different build/rotation. Stealth is the TR's thing, get used to it and learn to counter it rather than cry about it being too hard. Yes, it's hard to deal with and one-on-one if you don't know how to fight a perma TR, you'll get your *** handed to you. But, if you DO know what you're doing (and the two of you are more or less equal in stats), you won't. Every class has it's killer builds, and I could go through each one and explain what they can do to own in PvP and likewise how to counter that sort of build. Even GFs BEFORE mod4 could woop backside in PvP if the build was right and the player knew what the heck they were doing.

Please (and this is directed at the community at large), stop crying over other classes beating you in pvp and asking the devs to make it easier for you and instead spend that time learning how to play your character more effectively. There are plenty of really good resources out there for you, all you have to do is look around a bit.

Then this guy come into the thread with insulting words, this already been resolved, Leave.
    edited August 2014
    That sounds useful, I'mma get that artifact then, I'm playing a Warlock, So I have issues with the Area dmg/finding them in general, I will experiment with that, Thx Mojo

You don't need to find them to specifically, just hurt them. Blades of Vanquished Armies is the permastealth eliminator for PvP. A maxed out lantern is useful for warlocks in any event, and the power is specifically designed to render stealth useless. That's right, an artifact power that is specifically designed against a player class.

• kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014

Do your Infernal Spheres help, if you cast them and dash about a bit?
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As someone who plays as a permastealth rogue, let me just say (without giving details to make it harder for myself in the future) that we are ridiculously easy to outmaneuver. The only way I can be useful is if people don't realize there's a permastealth rogue on our team, or don't know how to deal with me.

what crazyiness are you talking about, as I recall TR gets a rather large speed boost when stealthed, i've seen them out run mounts while stealthed.
    edited August 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Do your Infernal Spheres help, if you cast them and dash about a bit?

Not enough dmg to take them out of stealth, Unless they end up crits, but ya. the Lantern should do fine.
  • syntaxessyntaxes Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2014
    what crazyiness are you talking about, as I recall TR gets a rather large speed boost when stealthed, i've seen them out run mounts while stealthed.

Only if they spec into it, which takes up a valuable class slot that can be used to help stealth. I have never seen one outrun a mount though.... I don't think that is possible.
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Rogues are easy to kill. I was able to kill perma rogues easy even in mod 3 because even though they go stealth, it still relies on much skill on there part and yours, and the player with most skill will win. Depending on your class will depend on the tactic you should use against them. As a gf I keep on the move to stop them getting DF on me, and moving around in the direction of the daggers allows me to find them in stealth then I can quickly bull charge them, follow where they would land, and do follow up powers.

It's all about finding them in stealth and the 3 best ways to get them is high burst dmg to quickly kill them, Aoe damage to hit them even in stealth and dot damage to dmg them in stealth and slowly or rapidly drain it depending if they have tenacious concealment slotted.

Also try not to hit there dummy, it will only give them lots of ap to use there powerful daily or go stealth even more.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    syntaxes wrote: »
    Only if they spec into it, which takes up a valuable class slot that can be used to help stealth. I have never seen one outrun a mount though.... I don't think that is possible.

I copied my rogue to preview and I have 90% run speed, that's faster than a rare mount lol, and if I had rank 10 enchants I could maybe get over 100% so coming close to epic mount.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nothing to see here... ;)

Nothing+to+See+here_47d3ec_3965834.gif
    va8Ru.gif
    edited August 2014

Not a rank 3, but a rank 1 and sometimes a rank 2. Sneak Attack is a speed bonus rather than a damage bonus which is what it originally was and should be, but QQ'ing resulted in it being nerfed into something that makes it far more useful for winning PvP matches and far less useful for killing anything.

• syntaxessyntaxes Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    I copied my rogue to preview and I have 90% run speed, that's faster than a rare mount lol, and if I had rank 10 enchants I could maybe get over 100% so coming close to epic mount.

Good lord that's fast.
    edited August 2014
    Good lord that's fast.

TR's have two different passives that give a speed boost. Wait until Winter Festival and try beating one in the ice racing event. :)

• shooooooootshoooooooot Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the problem with perma stealths is, players have seen the rogue buying nerfed left and right, now they have less to no damage compared to CW/GWF and even HR, while rogues and assassins should have the highest single target damage/burst in game. All the nerfs and changes let to the fact we rogues (yes i too play rogue, and am slowly grinding for that profound set) try to utilise the only thing cryptic has left for us that gives us an advantage to other classes, our stealth.
    in fact, stealth is actually the reason rogues were nerfed so hard in the first place; it's one thing to see someone quickly run to you and then do a fckton of damage in an instant (GWF i'm looking at you]), before backing away after having blown it's skills, it's another to be completely surprised by that giant-*** blade appearing next to you and doing tons of damage.
    The fact people didn't saw the TR before being bursted led to a lot of whining of them being OP, while the CW has equally, if not higher burst today than TR, only difference, you can see a CW... (And they have a ****load of CC, but that not really contributing to our discussion)

WARNING!!!! OF TOPIC, PLEASE DO NOT REACT TO! WARNING!!!!
    Same for DC, they don't heal as much as lifesteal on GWF or SW, so why bother bringing one when you can inv an extra CW?
    END OF INTERRUPTION

the reason we now see a lot of permas ( i play as bruiser rogue, nice and fun change actually) is because stealth is the only real way to make a difference in high-end pvp, we do not have the durability of a GF, or the CC of a CW, nor the damage of a GWF. so we use our stealth, and try use it to it's fullest potential.
    But now that i've seen that HR can stealth (short duration, nevertheless), i do think that TR is in need of a COMPLETE overhaul, taking away the stealth mechanic and maybe adding something like sneak (becoming transparant, not invisible, movespeed bonus, and being able to toggle it at will ¨[not the best solution][similiar to SW TAB]), giving a LOT of it's single target damage back. because TR aren't even viable for PVE, i mean, who want's a rogue that is not able to do damage? No, better add another GWF/CW.

i'ts one thing to nerf a class's damage to the ground. but you have to give them something in return. like CC or Tankyness, but we rogues got neither, only stealth (which was our downfall) is now a last resort to even have a shot at PVP

TL;DR
    TR and DC need A LOT of love to even be viable again in PVP (i mean real player-vs-player combat, not running around capturing points and doing nothing) (or PVE for the TR)
    my suggestion: no stealth, more damage, different TAB
    as for DC, more heals, or more and different ways to buff allies.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I refuse to let other class have stealth if rogues don't have it XD I like to play stealthy classes, so i it's removed for us it must be removed for others too.
    But I prefer they don't remove stealth for anyone, just rework it so it can't be abused.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • shooooooootshoooooooot Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I refuse to let other class have stealth if rogues don't have it XD I like to play stealthy classes, so i it's removed for us it must be removed for others too.
    But I prefer they don't remove stealth for anyone, just rework it so it can't be abused.

stealth is also the reason i play TR, it's very fun to be a 9.1K gs TR fooling that 21k gs soulforged GWF for a whole match just by letting him come to 3 in rivenscar ruins, and the moment he steps through the gate, capture his point again, i once annoyed one so hard, he and his party just sat at 3, and didn't move, not even trying to defend 1&2 just sitting at three and searching for me :p so yeah Perma is fun, but other than that, we have not much to offer is it
    ( on a related note, the GWF never got to use his soulforged , you don't really need that enchantment to run in circles :p)