test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Delay Problems

thetrueunderdogthetrueunderdog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Any idea whats wrong when i try to play neverwinter, the game seams like it stops for litterly a half of a second and then continues. It does this every so often. Any ideas on how to fix?
Post edited by thetrueunderdog on

Comments

• iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Are you using a 8 core processor?
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have this problem too, and yes, I have an 8-core processor, but that is a good thing, right?
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • mavlocmavloc Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have an 8-core and I don't have this problem. The amount of cores has nothing to do with it.

Have you checked to make sure all your drivers are up to date?
    What is your OS, and how much RAM are you running.
  • thetrueunderdogthetrueunderdog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    im running windows 7 professional, i have an 8 core and i have 8 gigs of ram.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have read in other threads that if you have an AMD processor, you need to change Neverwinter to only run on the first two (one?) cores - letting it (try to) run on all of them causes that constant little freezing.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mavloc wrote: »
    I have an 8-core and I don't have this problem. The amount of cores has nothing to do with it.

Well actually it is a known issue with some 8 core processors http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?730321-Massive-stuttering&p=8712051&viewfull=1#post8712051
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    if anyone is needing the directions on how to temporarily turn off cores, here's a link to that post:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...=1#post8722671

this is from one of melody's posts
    “and someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.”
  • forumsheikforumsheik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mavloc wrote: »

At first, I didn't think it was 8 core related either, but you can't possibly think that the game ran fine during module 3, then coincidentally the same day as release of module 4, that certain peoples drivers/OS went out of date, can you? Or that people all of a sudden didn't have enough RAM?

My machine didn't change from module 3 to module 4, and no driver updates have been released since or even shortly before.

AMD FX-8350
    Radeon HD 7850
    16GB of DDR3 1600 (i think it's 1600, don't feel like checking)
    Win7 ultimate 64-bit, up-to-date

Same system I ran module 3 with, with every setting maxed, except shadows.
    Out of the 41 games I have installed, Neverwinter is the only one I have any problems with, since module 4.

Not trying to break balls, but you're not helping with the all too often used 'your drivers are out of date' explanation.
    This is absolutely a problem with module 4, and certain system configurations. If you are running an 8 core cpu, and not having the problem, it still may not be an 8 core issue, but it's absolutely not driver related. Drivers don't 'break' from one day to the next. Neverwinter could be 'looking' for certain drivers, but if it's an updated driver for my hardware, they have access to something I don't, or they're wanting a beta driver but not telling us.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    forumsheik wrote: »
    At first, I didn't think it was 8 core related either, but you can't possibly think that the game ran fine during module 3, then coincidentally the same day as release of module 4, that certain peoples drivers/OS went out of date, can you? Or that people all of a sudden didn't have enough RAM?

My machine didn't change from module 3 to module 4, and no driver updates have been released since or even shortly before.

AMD FX-8350
    Radeon HD 7850
    16GB of DDR3 1600 (i think it's 1600, don't feel like checking)
    Win7 ultimate 64-bit, up-to-date

Same system I ran module 3 with, with every setting maxed, except shadows.
    Out of the 41 games I have installed, Neverwinter is the only one I have any problems with, since module 4.

Not trying to break balls, but you're not helping with the all too often used 'your drivers are out of date' explanation.
    This is absolutely a problem with module 4, and certain system configurations. If you are running an 8 core cpu, and not having the problem, it still may not be an 8 core issue, but it's absolutely not driver related. Drivers don't 'break' from one day to the next. Neverwinter could be 'looking' for certain drivers, but if it's an updated driver for my hardware, they have access to something I don't, or they're wanting a beta driver but not telling us.

I agree. NW ran perfectly fine on my PC prior to Mod 4. Since then, when I open my professions page to look at completed tasks, the Collect Reward buttons are all greyed out and only SLOWLY become active, one by one, in sequence. I never had this problem before Mod 4.

Also, while the game screen is loading, there is some text about some sort of "pixel" problem at the bottom of the screen. When the game loads, everything has a slight orange tint to it. This only happened asfter Mod 4 as well.

I have continued to play throught these issues, but I hope they are working on fixing these obvious glitches.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have the same issue game is playable but the stuttering is very annoying.
  • forumsheikforumsheik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Did you change the "directx settings" back to dx11? I'm not certain that's why the error went away for me, but I haven't seen it since. I think the new module reset some settings. (although it is possible I didn't notice I was running dx9 for a year+ but I doubt it). Even without the pixel shader error, I still get the same stuttering, so don't think that's necessarily related.

And I can't play with the stuttering, as much as I want to. Something about it, really bothers my eyes/brain after just a minute or two of it. And as easily as I could disable cores....I won't. Even I don't understand my reasoning for this, except that I refuse to cripple my nice machine for a problem NOT related to my machine. And I'd be even more upset if, like others have said, disabling the cores causes different 'freezes'.

I still suspect the new module replaced some .ini files, or settings files, that contain bad values for certain users. I'm no game developer, but it reminds me of problems with other games when 'nvidia physX' is enabled by default/mistake. I thought there was a similar setting in nevewinter a while back that caused a similar issue, but looking now, I only see 'gpu accelerated particles', and that's not the same thing.
  • hag270114hag270114 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    I have the same issue game is playable but the stuttering is very annoying.
    Same here, game ran fine before mod4, now the game is hitching and stuttering to oblivion. I didn't change anything except hitting the "Play NW" button.

But yes, i'm having an AMD (6core) CPU aswell ...
  • vulcanlionheartvulcanlionheart Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    turning off 4 cores worked for me, now its perfect ... thanks

first I turned off 0-2-4-6 it failed and slowed down more (I think windows is using 0 also)
    then turned off 1-3-5-7 and woila!
  • hitmarkhitmark Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The basic thing about AMD cores these days is that a pair of cores share a Floating Point Unit.

This means that if a program tries to do a lot of floating point math, and do so across cores, there will be bottlenecks.

Newer drivers from AMD and Microsoft should have cleared this up, but may not be perfect under heavy loads.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Sorry guys but there are plenty of threads discussing this issue in the Bug Reports Forum. Please use those threads to inform the developers of your system specs if you are experiencing any issues with an 8 Core System.
This discussion has been closed.