test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW freezing madness even without Oppressor tree

nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
So I normally run Castle Never 4/4 2 man (CW) with a friend, and in Module 3, that was moderately challenging to beat Draco, depending on lag situation and the occasional troll hand/wings.

However in module 4, we are both still Spellstorm Thaumaturges and swapped out Shard of the Endless Avalanche for Icy Terrain (no other changes in rotation) and it simply isn't even fun to play at times.

Mobs are frozen 90% of the time (if not attacked using chilling cloud as well, otherwise 100%), and there is no challenge whatsoever. We ran Icy Terrain instead of Shard for Dracolich in Module 3 some of the time as well and it wasn't nearly as mad as it is in Module 4.

The whole dracolich fight where it used to be all about timed and artful dodges is now just a troll-fest where you can almost carelessly fire off encounters and at wills with dodges more of an afterthought.

In fact, we tried having 1 of us die on entering and the other one could just about solo Dracolich now as Thaumaturge.

Freeze is now simply too powerful, even without the Oppressor feats. If we had both been Oppressor, I could see that this could in some strange way be intended, but we are both full dps builds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    velynnavelynna Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes. You'd think that after a year, balance would be getting better, not worse. Just wait until you get into PvP.
  • Options
    kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Change your rotation if you don't want to freeze so fast , seriously people you complain about everything .

WTH ?
    Before no one used icy terrain , now all CWs will use it and if you'll keep COI in tab , well it's obvious that you'll see a lot of freezing !
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kaedennn wrote: »
    Change your rotation if you don't want to freeze so fast , seriously people you complain about everything .

WTH ?
    Before no one used icy terrain , now all CWs will use it and if you'll keep COI in tab , well it's obvious that you'll see a lot of freezing !

Kind of agree with this guy here. The CoI and IT combo has been around for ages...its just no one bothered to use it because shard blew everything up in seconds...
  • Options
    generaldiomedesgeneraldiomedes Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Reserving judgement until this plays out, but not liking what I am reading. NW is about TWITCH and crowd control goes against what makes NW great.
  • Options
    calx001calx001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No more money is being spent by my family on this game..... eom
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Kind of agree with this guy here. The CoI and IT combo has been around for ages...its just no one bothered to use it because shard blew everything up in seconds...

We used to use icy terrain for draco anyway as per the original post. The difference is that in Module 4, freeze is not broken by damage anymore and generally lasts longer, which is what causes the problem.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    We used to use icy terrain for draco anyway as per the original post. The difference is that in Module 4, freeze is not broken by damage anymore and generally lasts longer, which is what causes the problem.

In that case they could just make the freezing changes only apply to oppressor, but not sure if they are able to do that with their setup.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    So to test that "solo" hypothesis, CW friend and I (as GF) went to do Castle Never that way.

Took maybe 10 mins longer than with 2 CW overall, but it went extremely smooth.

All I had to do as GF was stay permanently in Block (easy) and have Knights Valor up. Throw Into the Fray whenever it comes off cooldown.

Considering my GF is Conqueror and not Tactician, imaginably it would have been much faster if I was Tactician, giving out AP for KV blocked damage, and higher Into the Fray buffs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7WBHriMoc4
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Singularity's not viable anymore like it used to be. It's ok for smaller groups, but that's it. Icy Terrain? Get ready to see it a lot because that's where the crit damage is.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    edyitedyit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    so cw's have gone from too much damage to too much control? unbelievable....
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Damage is more or less the same, maybe 10% lower, but control went through the roof
  • Options
    x1101011xx1101011x Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Damage is more or less the same, maybe 10% lower, but control went through the roof

No way. You've been doing it wrong, then, because damage went down immensely:
    • Lost 3% arcane damage from arcane enhancement.
    • Lost 3% AoE damage from wizard's wrath.
    • Lost 9% AoE damage from focused wizardry.
    • Lost 5% damage from mobs below 30% from tempest magic.
    • Lost 5% ice damage to targets without chill from snap freeze.
    • Lost 10% damage from frozen power transfer.

And, on top of these changes, base damage for our formerly hardest hitting spell (shard) shot down dramatically, so it hits for less than 60% of for what it used to hit.

Edit: Plus, with bug fixes, we lost 30% from evocation and chilling presence.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Considering all the powers that now deal 24% more damage due to fixed Armpen, Frozen Power Transfer that actually lasts 20 seconds (i.e. perm rather than half the time at 6s), that's a lot of damage gained.
    Also, who uses Snap Freeze anyway :P

Losing dmg from Focussed Wizardry (which every non PVP CW should skip in mod4) is made up from gaining dmg from Learned Spellcaster to some extent. Elemental Empowerment is also a lot better than before damage-wise, as is Chilling Cloud, which is the main at will now.

Not to mention EotS and Stormspell now boosting damage a lot more than it did before
  • Options
    regulusknighrregulusknighr Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    x1101011x wrote: »
    No way. You've been doing it wrong, then, because damage went down immensely:
    • Lost 3% arcane damage from arcane enhancement.
    • Lost 3% AoE damage from wizard's wrath.
    • Lost 9% AoE damage from focused wizardry.
    • Lost 5% damage from mobs below 30% from tempest magic.
    • Lost 5% ice damage to targets without chill from snap freeze.
    • Lost 10% damage from frozen power transfer.

And, on top of these changes, base damage for our formerly hardest hitting spell (shard) shot down dramatically, so it hits for less than 60% of for what it used to hit.

Edit: Plus, with bug fixes, we lost 30% from evocation and chilling presence.

you can only choose an enemy and nullifies it in battle with his absurd controls, there is nothing to complain about.
  • Options
    sco77y001sco77y001 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I play CW and while I don't want to be a traitor to my own kind...the changes seem a little "obscene" in pve, and in pvp its become something of a joke, even after just a couple of days. I understand that our damage (in pve) was out of line and the same to a certain extent for GWF but now things have taken a serious turn for the worse in terms of supposed "balance". With the benefit of hindsight (I realise it hasn't been long) I'm not sure that anyone is terribly happy with the outcome of this module and wonder if a less radical approach might have been more favourable. I personally prefer pvp and felt seriously under-powered and not rewarded for using difficult skills to target and hit....now I feel like the skill requirement is minimal to produce ridiculous damage and control. (Apologies for going off-topic)
  • Options
    relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    @co77y001: If you feel too OP, re-spec to the most useless CW tree. We, Renegades, have it a bit harder + our cap-stone sucks. ;)
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Considering all the powers that now deal 24% more damage due to fixed Armpen, Frozen Power Transfer that actually lasts 20 seconds (i.e. perm rather than half the time at 6s), that's a lot of damage gained.
    Also, who uses Snap Freeze anyway :P

Losing dmg from Focussed Wizardry (which every non PVP CW should skip in mod4) is made up from gaining dmg from Learned Spellcaster to some extent. Elemental Empowerment is also a lot better than before damage-wise, as is Chilling Cloud, which is the main at will now.

Not to mention EotS and Stormspell now boosting damage a lot more than it did before

The 9% loss from focused wizardry is from the feat that used to be there. I did not include the 10% damage loss from actually taking focused wizardry now.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    rotatorkufrotatorkuf Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pure silliness in pvp (you can seriously kill someone with just 2 or 3 spams of this, while keeping them frozen)

just sit back on my CW and win

and whoever thought it was a good idea to change eye of the storm to 100% crit for 6 seconds (lol @ 20 sec cooldown)

yeah, they need to reconsider this guy's responsibilities

#OverbuffCWftw
  • Options
    abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Its the overload glyphs that are doing this. Hopefully they will get fixed soon
    Dr. Phil
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kaedennn wrote: »

IT never left my hotbar since I first got that power... but I have to admit it got much better (more damage and more freezing!)