test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the point of the mother lode now?

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
Can't remember if I did something like this recently or if I read a similar post but what is the point of the mother lode now? The light stream is unique and makes you think its a good HE to do, however the rewards suck and more often than not initially everyone gets swarmed by adds and not only can no one really mine ice but you also get attacked by a large number of hard hitting adds.

At one time this dropped a bunch of ice, think it was anywhere from 300 - 500 as it always completed the daily safe guard quest. Apparently all that ice dropping caused issues and the developers said they upped the ice given and removed the ice dropped. Well now all I see is a 75 ice reward (which is NOT an increase that I recall) with some junk, no ice on the ground, pretty much can NEVER mine any ice myself (for some reason i'm a mob magnet even if i'm on the other side doing nothing but mining ice) and usually die more than I kill it seems.

So what is the point of this? Should this thing give at minimum double the current rewards? Something like 50 for showing up, 75 for doing some participation, 150 for doing a fair amount and then I guess this is one that issues a great success (although I don't think i've personally seen one but i've seen people say they get glove drops from it) so maybe 300 for great success rewards? Considering this is lower than it used to be it would at least make it worth while doing.

The rewards for it currently appear to be bad enough that more often than not I see this pop up and hardly anyone does it (could also be times I play I suppose).

Does the mother lode even have a use outside of seemingly "major" heroic encounter? Why on earth does it have that fancy nifty light stream if its hardly worth while? I know some people are chipping ice out of it but its hard to imagine that anyone is getting more than 1 or 2 complete picks out of it. Can't we at least get a timer on it so that you can have a chance to clear mobs, mine ice before mobs spawn, clear mobs and mine some more? Right now there just never seems to be any real break in as soon as you start mining it seems mobs spawn. Killing the giant does seemingly nothing for you, does not appaer to add any extra reward as it used to ... it would be nice if he was party the requirement to complete it so that you can "complete" without killing him (people seem to manage to mine around him some how). Or make it so that killing him before mining the ice dry gives a higher reward chance, something.

As a side question I guess i'll ask, does anyone know if you get better results from mining the ice than you do actually fighting the mobs?
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Can't remember if I did something like this recently or if I read a similar post but what is the point of the mother lode now? The light stream is unique and makes you think its a good HE to do, however the rewards suck and more often than not initially everyone gets swarmed by adds and not only can no one really mine ice but you also get attacked by a large number of hard hitting adds.

At one time this dropped a bunch of ice, think it was anywhere from 300 - 500 as it always completed the daily safe guard quest. Apparently all that ice dropping caused issues and the developers said they upped the ice given and removed the ice dropped. Well now all I see is a 75 ice reward (which is NOT an increase that I recall) with some junk, no ice on the ground, pretty much can NEVER mine any ice myself (for some reason i'm a mob magnet even if i'm on the other side doing nothing but mining ice) and usually die more than I kill it seems.

So what is the point of this? Should this thing give at minimum double the current rewards? Something like 50 for showing up, 75 for doing some participation, 150 for doing a fair amount and then I guess this is one that issues a great success (although I don't think i've personally seen one but i've seen people say they get glove drops from it) so maybe 300 for great success rewards? Considering this is lower than it used to be it would at least make it worth while doing.

The rewards for it currently appear to be bad enough that more often than not I see this pop up and hardly anyone does it (could also be times I play I suppose).

Does the mother lode even have a use outside of seemingly "major" heroic encounter? Why on earth does it have that fancy nifty light stream if its hardly worth while? I know some people are chipping ice out of it but its hard to imagine that anyone is getting more than 1 or 2 complete picks out of it. Can't we at least get a timer on it so that you can have a chance to clear mobs, mine ice before mobs spawn, clear mobs and mine some more? Right now there just never seems to be any real break in as soon as you start mining it seems mobs spawn. Killing the giant does seemingly nothing for you, does not appaer to add any extra reward as it used to ... it would be nice if he was party the requirement to complete it so that you can "complete" without killing him (people seem to manage to mine around him some how). Or make it so that killing him before mining the ice dry gives a higher reward chance, something.

As a side question I guess i'll ask, does anyone know if you get better results from mining the ice than you do actually fighting the mobs?

No, not really. Ya, I remember the first day rolling into Mother lode, frankly I remember getting like 700 BI from the event with all the drops included.

Otherwise, minors are no longer worth doing, as they barely drop enchants any more.

and lastly, the whole experience of IWD was a major disappointment after they nerfed the drop rate.
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the problem I find with the Motherlode is after clearing the first 6 mobs, everyone runs to mine. Once they have got 20% or so reinforcements come.

If the reinforcements were not enough they tend to aggro the other mobs standing around as well which usually ends up in an entire instance wipe of everyone there. the worse part of this is usually there is one person who came late and somehow did not aggro any reinforcements and keeps mining ice trigger more and more reinforcements and before you know it they have mined the entire thing while the rest of the groups are fighting the mobs.

I have a feeling (not tested in anyway) that to get the best result you actually want to mine something in each phase as well as do a bunch of killing.

- before first reinforcement
    - before giant arrives
    - after giant arrives
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I have never had much success with this one.

I tend to avoid it completely now.
  • Options
    canmanncanmann Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    akemnos wrote: »
    the problem I find with the Motherlode is after clearing the first 6 mobs, everyone runs to mine. Once they have got 20% or so reinforcements come.

If the reinforcements were not enough they tend to aggro the other mobs standing around as well which usually ends up in an entire instance wipe of everyone there. the worse part of this is usually there is one person who came late and somehow did not aggro any reinforcements and keeps mining ice trigger more and more reinforcements and before you know it they have mined the entire thing while the rest of the groups are fighting the mobs.

I have a feeling (not tested in anyway) that to get the best result you actually want to mine something in each phase as well as do a bunch of killing.

- before first reinforcement
    - before giant arrives
    - after giant arrives

You are on the right track. You need to follow the script of the encounter. The second wave of adds includes the script of killing the corrupt giant. What happens is everyone mines like brain dead zombies and don't bother to kill the giant. So from the games view you have not done the HE correctly so no good rewards.

What my wife and I have resorted to (if we even bother with Mother Lode at all) is pulling all the adds to the centre around the people mining to get them hit with AOEs. They are then forced to deal with the adds. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. We try to get people doing the right thing in says but no one listens.... training the adds works the best.

Cheers
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    and lastly, the whole experience of IWD was a major disappointment after they nerfed the drop rate.

Well, I agree it was nice to get so many r4 and r5 enchantment drops, but, in all fairness, it was pretty excessive. I am a casual player and remember being amazed at how many black ice enchantments I was getting when I first started IWD. Prior to IWD, getting other r4 and r5 enchantments as drops seemed much rarer.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Well, I agree it was nice to get so many r4 and r5 enchantment drops, but, in all fairness, it was pretty excessive. I am a casual player and remember being amazed at how many black ice enchantments I was getting when I first started IWD. Prior to IWD, getting other r4 and r5 enchantments as drops seemed much rarer.

But this doesnt bring it back to the point.. THAT there is really no point in running either the minors or the motherlode, like zilch reason, not enough black ice to reasonable be worth it.

you get more black ice by simply running to the pvp zone, go to the back and find 3-4 open lodes, you dont have to fight anything and get twice as much black ice , if not more.

Simply the experience of the WHOLE IWD area is vastly underwhelming, when they did the drop percentage reduction, it became worse, then the enchant reduction, was even worse.

Yes was it alot of enchants.. probably, but THERE was a reason to actually do the HEs then. Even the buffs are pretty lousy in comparison to other mods.

IF they finally put the bracers and mh in the store, or fixed the drop rate , or allowed you to grind 100 hes to get them or something.. all of that would be better then the system they have in place, which is terrible for the majority of the playerbase. Mod 4 is almost here, and alot of players have found this entire play time in mod 3 to be a huge repetitive wasteland.

The guild I was in , went from over 300 active players at the start of this Mod, down to maybe a dozen. Thats REALLY high turnover. Now some of that has to do with the DD chest bug, I cant tell you how many people quit over that.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    canmann wrote: »
    You are on the right track. You need to follow the script of the encounter. The second wave of adds includes the script of killing the corrupt giant. What happens is everyone mines like brain dead zombies and don't bother to kill the giant. So from the games view you have not done the HE correctly so no good rewards.

What my wife and I have resorted to (if we even bother with Mother Lode at all) is pulling all the adds to the centre around the people mining to get them hit with AOEs. They are then forced to deal with the adds. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. We try to get people doing the right thing in says but no one listens.... training the adds works the best.

Cheers

Again, even if you DID all of this, there IS no reason to DO it! You get more black ice by simply walking to a couple of nodes and farming them.
  • Options
    twoedge1twoedge1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Can't remember if I did something like this recently or if I read a similar post but what is the point of the mother lode now?

I've noticed this to. The way this event currently works they should rename it to 'Trickle Lode' instead of Mother lode. The amount of raw black ice given based on the difficultly is not worth it. I would like to see a change made so it gives out a much larger amount of raw black ice based on how much you contributed to the event.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank goodness someone else remembers how it used to be. I keep asking guild members if they remembered how Mother Lode used to work and no one does. It did in fact drop a ton of BI and enchants. Therein was the issue - too much lag caused by the high amount of objects being drawn on-screen. After they fixed this via the post Mod3 patch, lag was less but not Mother Lode is broken. You can only get BI that you actually mine. There is no longer a large amount of BI being dropped after you mine the lode to 100% (if you can even get to 100%) and kill the giant. The lode just disappears.

I would love to see this fixed to the way it was on week one of Mod3.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How to make the Motherload work for you (and friends) :

- Get there at the first stage even if it means you die being the first there. You can always run back.
    - Do each stage at least ONCE. Stab monsters, mine black ice once, stab the giant once, and pay attention to the objectives.
    - Don't grind/ farm. It makes it boring fast. There seems to be something that lessens the chances for good drops if you hit the same kind of heroic encounter multiple times in a row.
    - If you do feel compelled to go grind/farming take a buddy. You take a turn to mostly mine ice, and they stab mostly monsters. Then swap for next heroic encounter.
    - Get the Shamans FIRST, and the Beast Handlers. That will take off that temporary immunity the shamans give the other monsters, and stop so many adds from coming.

Those tips will help in ALL Epic Heroic encounters to increase your chances of good drops.

(I got my 4th pair of gloves last week so yes I suck.)
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon