test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

about the black ice gear drop rate

rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
After having dropped gloves on my perma tr and 2 on my archery hr... i decided to do a test:
Try to drop them with my no boons ( just the first 3 of dread ring ) gwf with 0 enchants and the heroic duelist set.
I needed 20 tries: about 3 days.
I really dont see the problem you all are talking about.

Skills used: roar takedown ibs sure strike TR.
Dropped from remorhaz after i died 2 times in that encounter
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey as someone that missed most of mod 3 and is just starting this grind, do you have any suggestions? Should I concentrate on just finding Remo/Beholder or should I be running all the majors?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    All the majors, those for 10 people. Go there and start attack. Dont leave if you die, i dropped even dying.
    Spam in looking for group to have an invite.
    Join AB faction, is overpopulated.
    If you receive an invite but the boss has less then 60 per cent hp there are little to no probabilities to get a good drop.
    Last thing, major heroic encounters reset every 90 min
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the problem is that some classes have a much harder time of obtaining these and the fact the requirements are completely unknown.

for example I am a TR so what are my criteria to get the gloves?

1. dealing damage
    2. killing mobs
    3. evading damage

1. I am going to lose to any good AOE class (HR, CW, GWF) 90% of the time. as their combined damage will out deal my single target damage
    2. This is a little easier but again its much easier for the AOE classes to get killing blows then me trying to cherry pick targets
    3. i have no idea if this is even a step but the fact it could be means i should just throw daggers at range and not get close to anyone

To give another point, I do have my mainhand from the Beholder. In that battle I would have said I did just as much rezzing of other people than I did attacking the beholder so does healing count on a TR? I wouldn't guess so since I am a DPS class and not a support class.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just go there and do your best, as an avid pvp player i always have slotted just single target damage. Never had a problem if not to find the encounter
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just go do what your class should be doing. As long as you received the maximum 180 BI (which doesn't seem too hard), I think you got the best chance for the epic reward.
    Try to get to every HE you see, even if the boss is relatively low on HP. My TR showed up to raiders like 10 seconds before the chief went down and got the armor piece and purple craft resource that I needed. Its a small chance for arriving late, but still a chance.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is some kind of joke posting right?

I'm sure some of the drama around Black Ice gear can be explained by the lack of knowledge how to obtain it, but 20 encounters is just lucky, nothing else. Come back with a robust sample, this is worthless.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    My GWF got his gloves after his FIRST major. My GF has been grinding Icewindfail for close on two months now and no luck. On Sunday I got three successive 180 Black Ice drops from the three biggest encounters (Protectors, Remorhaz and Beholder) with my GF. That indicates I was in the top bracket but still no drops. I arrived right at the beginning for all three.

Seeing as the latter experience with my GF is corroborated by many players, my GWF just got **** lucky and it seems like you did too.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I got my gauntlets on about the 20th run and got my sword on the second. I didn't bother farming for them right away as I didn't like the look of the BI gear so I don't think the drop rates was great when I was farming either. Everyone comes sup with different ways on how a class should get it, and its simple....just kill ads and fight the boss.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Also one time I joined beholder at the beginning, didn't die once, fought the whole time and at the end my reward was just 25 black ice lol, its just down to luck :(
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    Also one time I joined beholder at the beginning, didn't die once, fought the whole time and at the end my reward was just 25 black ice lol, its just down to luck :(

Isn't it a race? You have to say be in the top X percentile of damage done, damage taken, or healing done to get the 180?
  • Options
    yeahnubbyyeahnubby Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I got gloves and main hand very easily on my CW and GWF. I've been grinding away the encounters with my HR, almost constantly getting 180 black ice rewards, but only got 2 epic rewards during the last week: Hammerstone Orb and some crafting material

Edit: I've gotten around 4 glove drops on my HR from Raiders, exclusively. Raiders seems like it's the only encounter I can get anything from
  • Options
    szaoszao Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    After having dropped gloves on my perma tr and 2 on my archery hr... i decided to do a test:
    Try to drop them with my no boons ( just the first 3 of dread ring ) gwf with 0 enchants and the heroic duelist set.
    I needed 20 tries: about 3 days.
    I really dont see the problem you all are talking about.

Skills used: roar takedown ibs sure strike TR.
    Dropped from remorhaz after i died 2 times in that encounter

Lucky u.

I know some1 who farmed IWD as soon as he can (dunno when, but not much after mod3), and got his mainhand last week.
    Im not that addicted but used to farm IWD, but still without the gloves ...
    After my guildie got his main, i tried it for 2 days, 4-6 hours encounter hunt, and not a single purple thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Isn't it a race? You have to say be in the top X percentile of damage done, damage taken, or healing done to get the 180?

I'm not 100% but gf don't have as much dmg as most other classes since our base dmg is the worst, even a dps cleric can out dmg us.

I also joined remorhaz when he was half hp and I still got the gauntlets, so being a gf and getting there half way through, so I still think its luck.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Has anybody gotten 75 Black Ice from Epic encounters? I think you only get 25 (aka you arrived too late) or 180+ (I've gotten 225 from Raiders in example).

I think the ranking works like this:

25 BI (barely participated)
    Threshold (Minor: 35 BI, Major: 75 BI, Epic: 180 BI)
    Scoring Rank (Minor: 75 BI, Major 180 BI, Epic 225 BI)

And then there is Motherload which seems to be a hybrid Major/Epic. You can get 75, 180 or 225 there.