test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Almost no Crit in top CW gears? Why?

korpakukac1korpakukac1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Library
I am slowly gearing my MoF CW, at 10,5k gs now.
Until I hit lvl60 Power and Crit were the two stats I always looked for when changing gear as they have the biggest effect on my damage, but now at lvl 60 I have come to a dilemma.
All the purple T1-2 sets I see have almost no Crit, if they have some Crit at all, rather they have just Power and Recovery with tonns of Defense and deflection, to stats that seem totally useless for a CW...

I am recommended to try and get the High Vizier set, but pretty much all the purple sets look cr*p to me in stats and bonuses.

What should I do? Should I throw away loads of Crit and other useful stats for higher GS???

Also I need to get more GS to get into epic runs. What T1 sets should I get before T2? Fatebender's seem to have a useful set bonus.
Post edited by korpakukac1 on

Comments

• Options
    whiteprophecywhiteprophecy Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You can earn the Grim Thaumaturge pvp armor for free if you can stomach it. It has crit and AP on every piece. Not bragging, but I and another just completed the whispering caverns HE on preview; he was wearing HV, I was in grim thaumaturge. I tanked; we won.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Crit is over-valued. Get your ArmPen up to about 2200-2400, then go all in on Power. Take what random crit gear throws your way, but don't enchant for it.

If you went INT/CHA with your stats, a high CHA is going to give you all the crit you need.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Crit is over-valued. Get your ArmPen up to about 2200-2400, then go all in on Power. Take what random crit gear throws your way, but don't enchant for it.

If you went INT/CHA with your stats, a high CHA is going to give you all the crit you need.

This is my current setup and stats:
    NWgear_zps9640fb2d.png

I hope it is no problem that I bought the Tunic and not the other shirt :I
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is my current setup and stats:
    *snip

You have more crit than you need, anyway. If you're trying to maximize your damage you should be focusing on power, not crit.
    For CWs

If you are a spellstorm CW you can still use EoTS to proc crits to an extent on your hardest hitting skills, so high crit is redundant. It is hard mathematically to account for EoTS well except empirically from ACT but things like playstyle and rotations make a huge difference. Guides like Stox's have long shown how much better power is compared to crit. I would say for HV and Pvorp using CWs you should aim for 1000-1800, if that. For Renegades/Master of Flame CWs (only if using Critical Conflagration, the +15% crit severity class feature)you probably want about 2650, then stack power to 8k before really trying to bump more crit, especially if you don't have EoTS. However if you're using Shadow Weavers again you probably have a lot anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yesterday I got the High Vizier's Chest piece from E.ToS :)

Some said that HV set gives +15-30% damage to the whole team. Does that -450def on enemies really give that much damage increase?
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes.

HV is worth more in PVE then pure stats alone.

Dont build for stats atm, just worry about getting HV, which is hard, due to the chest bug being out.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's roughly a 10% damage increase per stack for the entire team. There's nothing you can do on your character to make up for NOT using HV, unfortunately.

The only thing that might be something to consider is some of the new overload enchantments in Mod 4. Maybe.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yesterday I got the High Vizier's Chest piece from E.ToS :)

Some said that HV set gives +15-30% damage to the whole team. Does that -450def on enemies really give that much damage increase?

The description is incomplete. In PvP it decreases your opponents defense by 450. However PvE enemies don't have a "defense" stat. There's nothing to reduce. So instead the developers made the High Vizier set bonus be -10/20/30% damage mitigation per control encounter ability used. So, the way that works is you cast Chill strike and it will add one stack to the target, so Chill Strike and ALL attacks on that enemy will to 10% more damage than normal. The way you really use it to your advantage is with Steal Time. Steal Time slows enemies several times and then damages them. Each "slow" tick counts as a control spell so you get the 30% debuff right away. So, running into a crowd and using Steal Time gives an instant 30% damage boost to everyone attacking those enemies. There is no CW set that comes close to providing that kind of damage increase for you or your party.

The ONLY time you would use a different armor set is if you are in a group where there are other CW's who are using High Vizier. Multiple High Vizier sets don't stack. It only goes up to a 30% debuff. Any more is unnecessary. Might as well switch to Shadow Weaver at that point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Nice, thanks for all the info :)
    So...
    Teleport -> Lantern of Revelation -> Steal Time -> Opressive Force=WIN
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Nice, thanks for all the info :)
    So...
    Teleport -> Lantern of Revelation -> Steal Time -> Opressive Force=WIN

If you are a Thaumaturge CW then you also get a 15% damage boost from casting Conduit of Ice.

So Conduit of Ice, Lantern, Steal Time, Sudden Storm, Shard of Avalanche, Oppressive Force = ULTRA-MEGA WIN!!!!!

Of course that's only good for two more days. Then Module 4 hits and everything changes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Use a GPF for 45% more.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    Use a GPF for 45% more.

No. It doesn't work that way. When in PvP Plague Fire reduces your opponents "defense" statistic by 15% per stack, up to 3 stacks. That's not 15% more damage, it's significantly less than that.

PvE enemies don't have a "defense" stat, so instead the game just gives them a 3% debuff per stack. Max 9%. So the best you can do is 9% more damage with a Plague Fire. Vorpal adds more than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Plague Fire also has damage associated with it, which when I parse is usually 4-5% of my damage. But you also have to consider that 9% boost is for everyone attacking the target, which is incredible in a group. At least one person should be running a GPF in a group, and I do it as a CW since it's very easy to keep the 3 stack debuff up on multiple targets.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Plague Fire also has damage associated with it, which when I parse is usually 4-5% of my damage. But you also have to consider that 9% boost is for everyone attacking the target, which is incredible in a group. At least one person should be running a GPF in a group, and I do it as a CW since it's very easy to keep the 3 stack debuff up on multiple targets.

Yep, it's a very useful enchantment and I agree a person in every group should be using one. Vorpals will be much less useful in Module 4 because of the decreased burst damage and the shift to damage over time. That may cause a shift toward Plague Fire's in the CW community. Only problem is they don't stack, so having more than one person in a group with one and get a lot less bang for your weapon enchantment buck.

At any rate they certainly don't provide a 45% damage boost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    And keep in mind a GPF is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive that a P. Vorpal. If we're trying to compare more apples to apples, it would be a GPF vs a GV.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1