test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enhancement: experience gain

user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Not sure where to post suggestions to the game but other game forums use the bug report section so I'll do the same here since i didn't see a suggestion forum.

The experience gain is way to fast in neverwinter. I try to do the quests and I'm just leveling so quick I outpace the storyline.
Throw in a daily pvp, skirmish, and praying to the gods and you level so fast you just skip tons of content.

So my suggestion:
Praying: no experience gain at all. Not even sure why you xp gain for this anyway.
pvp and skirmish: reduce it to 30% of what it gives now.
Storyline: slight reduction by about 10%.

I also notice that you guy buy zen stuff and spend astral diamonds on gear for low level but you spend such little time as a low level that it really is pointless to spend on this stuff.

Edit: or at least implement a checkbox or slider in the options to turn off/reduce xp gain from pvp, skirmish, praying.
Post edited by user4035 on

Comments

• Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The only thing you said that can be done without causing mass anguish in this sector or that, is the edit. And I am all for that. The only problem is the PvP side of things.. where pretty soon the guys who are properly at a given level will be completely out classed by others who are artificially at the same level.. but sporting perfect enchantments, etc. (I never PvP, btw, so this matters not to me.. but I try to think of everyone.. yeah I'm an idiot.)

I agree that the leveling is too fast on your first character, and maybe on your second. But after that.. you've seen it all.. And you just want to play a new character amongst your friends, who are all fully leveled.

So maybe no disabling of XP, but a setting you can choose.. slow/medium/fast.

But people will then argue that new guys will set to fast and then not know how to play their class when they hit 60.. and that is true, too.

It's a difficult scene.

Edit- maybe an ANTI-Azure Enchantment.. reduces XP gain?
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    lol, they have the increase xp gain. I avoid that like the plague.

As for low level toons having super enchants. Just cap enchants per level rating of equpiment.
    Level 20 items can have level 4 enchants.
    Level 30 can have level5 enchants
    etc...

iguess my main gripe is with the prayers and pvp/skirmish. Some days I log in and want to go questing. Other times I just feel like doing an ours worth of pvp or skirmishes. But if I do that all of a sudden I've skipped the graveyard and helms levels.

I remember world of warcraft had that. High level enchant couldn't be put on a low level item.

Tinking out a low level is fine, and can be fun. But there doesn't have to be some kind of limit on it. I mean, a level 19 with level 10 enchants and a vorpal is way overpowered.
  • Options
    nekromaniak666nekromaniak666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 94
    edited August 2014
    I am up for lowering exp gain from PvP. With few matches during every X0-X9 level bracket, you will overexp your story/questline.
    Also option to disable exp gain will be nice too.
    [SIGPIC]Hellsing[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I found that I only skipped over 2 or 3 zones on my first character. I think, for the amount of quests in this game, that the leveling speed is good. I'm using my second character to experience the content I missed on my main so it all still feels new to me.

That said, more options are always nice. Neverwinter does an amazing job telling you how the game world works and spreads the information out throughout your leveling experience. So I never was left feeling confused about how to proceed. This is something I cannot say about even World of Warcraft, let alone any other MMO I've played.

I do know Pathfinder has a slow/medium/fast leveling system set up where the experience values needed to level in each selection are different. Since Pathfinder is strongly based on D&D 3.5 I think its safe to say something similar is probably in 4th edition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    galaxy1045galaxy1045 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I prefer the current PvE leveling speed very much over the option that I have to grind with dailies a'la DR, Shar, IWD to get some XP.
    There just is not enough meat (content) on the bones (NW game) to make leveling any slower without resorting to some kind of dailies =repeating quests over and over again to grind XP).
  • Options
    sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    yes, i'd also like to c less xp gain - especially in pvp. I find that you advance far too quickly in the pvp campaign, and it can make it difficult to achieve things like the triple kill requirement before lvl 60.
    “and someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.”
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd reduce it all by 90% or more. What ever happened to the days where you had to grind and work for your levels in mmos?
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I did every quest in every zone with my first char, but that meant I had outleveled some of the content, which made it easier - not too easy though, I still hadn't figured out how to play my DC properly.

For later alts, yeah...I skip several zones, or do only the first few quests in some of them....been there...seen it...done it. For me, the fun starts at 60.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    sonofraistlinsonofraistlin Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    yeah, i gotta admit...i'm more about the journey than the destination...I've had heaps of characters, but i've only gotten one to lvl60...and then i deleted that one too :0 and started again... lol
    “and someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.”
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I'd reduce it all by 90% or more. What ever happened to the days where you had to grind and work for your levels in mmos?

Those disappeared when I grew up and now have to go to work, deal with my kids and keep my wife happy. When it comes to gaming, I just want to take my pants off, crack open a beer and have fun :)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    user4035 wrote: »
    The experience gain is way to fast in neverwinter. I try to do the quests and I'm just leveling so quick I outpace the storyline.
    Throw in a daily pvp, skirmish, and praying to the gods and you level so fast you just skip tons of content.

So my suggestion:
    Praying: no experience gain at all. Not even sure why you xp gain for this anyway.
    pvp and skirmish: reduce it to 30% of what it gives now.
    Storyline: slight reduction by about 10%.

I agree that getting to level 60 is WAY too fast in this game. It is actually almost ridiculous. Being able to no-life (with sleep) for 2-3 days to reach max level is silly.

What you suggested would not work 100% without some modifications being made. Invocation XP is not really that relevant for a hard-core gamer. Even without invocation, anyone who can spend 8 hours a day on the game can reach level 60 within a week easily.

Reducing the quest XP is probably the best way to do it, since that is where the bulk of XP occurs (based on time spent per XP). But that might also involve developing additional quests, including some that are more time-consuming - many quests can be completed in a matter of minutes and still provide a lot of XP (for limited efforts).
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Those disappeared when I grew up and now have to go to work, deal with my kids and keep my wife happy. When it comes to gaming, I just want to take my pants off, crack open a beer and have fun :)

LOL! I am with you there - similar life here.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2014
    I'd like more time spent going from 1-60. As it is, 2-3 hours gets you through a zone, maybe 4 levels depending on what zone. Casually playing. This is done by lowering quest XP for sure (turning in quests levels you really fast).

But, I'm not holding my breath. That would require Cryptic to design new quests, potentially a lot of them. And if they did, they should be different from the existing quests (more race quests, even deity quests + just quests that are not "kill/retrieve XYZ"). And that would be moving a lot of resources from releasing new content.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    On the other side it can also be too slow when power levelling. You can do all of the quests and be underlevelled to continue the story line. Personally I like the lack of time it takes to get to 60. That's when the game really begins for me.
  • Options
    wanderer0000wanderer0000 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    for more that I try I cannot see why some people dont like to gain xp... seriously, just do the content already and dont use the freaking powers/feats/items if you want to keep on the content level! holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is that so hard to do?
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The level gains are a little too quick in my opinion just because it is super easy to outlevel a lot without trying. I recently leveled a CW to 60 and had to ignore a lot of stuff to do all the missions.

- Invoking - did not invoke at all until level 60
    - leadership - only chose options that did not grant actual xp (ie lots of making guys)
    - skirmishes - skipped every single one
    - Dungeons - did each dungeon once, except for Dread vault (haven't done yet)
    - Foundries - none
    - PVP - none
    - storyline - did every single mission with the least amount of effort. I did not kill anything that I absolutely did not have to do.

I hit level 60 in the last section of Hotenow. That left me a entire zone that I had outleveled and that was with skipping a huge amount of stuff.
  • Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2014
    akemnos wrote: »
    The level gains are a little too quick in my opinion just because it is super easy to outlevel a lot without trying. I recently leveled a CW to 60 and had to ignore a lot of stuff to do all the missions.

- Invoking - did not invoke at all until level 60
    - leadership - only chose options that did not grant actual xp (ie lots of making guys)
    - skirmishes - skipped every single one
    - Dungeons - did each dungeon once, except for Dread vault (haven't done yet)
    - Foundries - none
    - PVP - none
    - storyline - did every single mission with the least amount of effort. I did not kill anything that I absolutely did not have to do.

I hit level 60 in the last section of Hotenow. That left me a entire zone that I had outleveled and that was with skipping a huge amount of stuff.

I'd say the problem is that you're doing the dungeons. I skip them if I'm not power-leveling. They're almost an entire level by themselves, iirc. The game gives you a little breathing room for levels (I find some zones I'm 1/2 a level behind, esp. after Tower District), but not enough to really enjoy dungeon runs.

Foundry's also a huge XP source, anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of a level. Skirmishes, invoking, leadership, PvP are not too much, I usually get those in when leveling slowly.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    akemnos wrote: »

You're still able to do the last zone at 60.
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I know that I can still do them but with the zones being outleveled they are extremely easy, especially on a CW. Trash mobs are exactly that. even most of the named bosses at the end of missions were a joke.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

I have a wife and kid too, thing is, while it took longer, it was more rewarding. But nothing said you couldn't get there at whatever pace you wanted.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would be all for the ability to lower XP rewards if there were more leveling zones to run. That's unlikely to happen though.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »

Yes i would go that far as well. For many reasons.

When i started over a year back, i was thinkin like "ok, so 60 is max so ill c some slowdown at 40 and at 50 lvl ill start to hate the grind and lairs/dungeons runs"... Before i was able to even recal that thought, i hit 60. Thats why all the seals, kind of unique and whatever items are useless. Thats why foundry quests are eighter farm or exploit or nothing.

There is plenty of things to do and to have fun yet, with every alt char i made i had to watch my lvl just because i did not want to miss a skirmish/dungeon run opportunity.

Having it optional (block XP flag), twill lead to trolling/harassing and no mmo should allow it ever. Having it as it is now... i felt nothing when i hit 60 lvl. At least some kind of reincarnation (with its bonuses) and re-run the quest-line/s at some insane difficulty with heavily reduced xp gain...nvm

...just pouring some oil
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.