test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Dragon has 3 Heads...or 5...

bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
Name: The Dragon has 3 Heads...or 5...
Short Code: NW-DENWS4FHZ
Length: My live play-through came to 55 minutes (Less if you rush the dialogues or play with a party)

The Cult of the Dragon seems to be everywhere these days, and whispers about their plans and plots (and possibly schemes), are in every ear from here to Baldur's Gate. So, naturally, when a horde of music-loving barbarians pledged to a "Dragon Queen" arrives outside the gates of Neverwinter, they say that a hero can save us. You may be good at swinging a sword, or slinging spells around, but can you handle the perils of karaoke, environmentalism, and teen angst?

#Humor, #Story, #Lore

Make sure to bring healing potions, and leave at least 3 inventory slots open. Be careful at the end; it's easy to aggro extra mobs if you're not careful, and get overwhelmed.

Some encounters are optional, based on dialogue choices, so paying attention can sometimes keep you out of trouble (or give you the chance to earn more XP if you're looking for it)

This is my entry for the contest. It is my first foundry quest to be published. It is intended to be comedic, and I would appreciate hearing what works and what doesn't work for people, particularly in the next week before judging begins.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by bardaaron on

Comments

• bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I am totally willing to trade reviews. If you'd like me to give feedback on your quest, just post the name (and/or shortcode) and I'll get to it as soon as I can. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epharmdepharmd Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just finished playing through it and have to say that I was quite impressed! The dialogue was very well written and I loved all of the little references throughout. It's hard to identify a specific one that stood out but the song titles at the beginning are quite clever and start things out quite well. The end fight also impressed me quite a bit. Very epic feel and you obviously put a ton of work into it. I think that the length may turn a lot of people away, which is a shame because it is quite good. There are a few parts that are still a little rough but it is surprisingly well-polished for this early on.

A few random notes that I took as I went:

1). The placement of the tents (especially the angles) was very nice. I did see a small number of the tents and a few objects floating just a bit.

2). The gate that you go through on that first map should have some walls around it. It seemed like you may have placed an invisible wall but I was still able to walk around the gate. It would look better with a matching fence anyway.

3). The doormat that you have to interact with was called "Floor Rag 02"

4). The Cult of Dagon headquarters had a lot of explorable but unused space. I got excited when I saw a chance to explore but was saddened to see it bare. You may want to place a static door there somewhere or add encounters/interactions to the rooms in the future.

5). In the house there is a stairwell that is blocked by an invisible wall (not the one with the flaming beams). You may want to place debris or a visible wall in front of it to show that it is not useable.

6). The Brighter/Blighter conversation had one screen where the names were not in OOC brackets. I believe it was the second screen. I really enjoyed that encounter, by the way. Especially my second time through (see the next note) when I was skipping dialogue and realized that I had actually avoided a fight the first time.

7). The teleporter/ladder in the basement should be blocked off until the obligatory encounters are done. I was curious and clicked on it before interacting with Bloodwing and ended up elsewhere on the map. Which would be fine but when trying to return to the basement I ended up outside of the room and fell to my death. This happened several times before I gave up, exited the map and had to start over. I can't help but wonder if this happened to others who just gave up at that point. It is a shame that we can't find out how many times a foundry has been attempted along with completed. Adjusting the facing of the teleporter may fix the issue, but it may not (considering the glitchiness of teleporters). Either way, blocking it with an invisible wall or debris until the end of the subsequent fight would solve the problem, although people would inevitably still attempt to go back and then downgrade the quest simply because: "Oh no! I died!"

8). The mother was an hilarious touch. But the NPC name was "Foulspawn Hulk." Easy to fix. And sadly easy to miss when editing.

9). The cult leader appeared as an NPC on the floor immediately after the conversation, even while she was still fighting. You may need to change the appearance variable to Component Complete (specific enemy defeated).

10). At the very end after the quest is over the map transition is not set to any specific object. It simply pops up as "Press F to exit" which is a bit jarring (this was pointed out to me on my first foundry quest). You could place an invisible wall outside the tent that appears when the last objective completes that can be used. I would suggest the gate at the entrance, but it would probably be too far for anyone without a mount.

Overall, impressive work, especially as a first foundry quest!
    Foundry Quests:
    Frozen Folly (NW-DEVSLU387, NW-DNETAP6GR)
    Bargain Hunting (NW-DNFK5E9HB)

Draylor - 60 CW
    Artek - 60 GF
    Treponema - 60 DC
    Tymber - 60 GWF
    Borellia - 60 TR
    Leptospira - 45 HR
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for your review epharmd! I will make sure to place some fences around the gate. Maybe find a good-looking end-point to finish them off.
    3). The doormat that you have to interact with was called "Floor Rag 02"
    This one is really weird, because I know for a fact that I fixed that. Somehow it didn't take. I'll take a look at it. I also thought I had fixed the mother, but I might have done it in layout instead of on the mob itself by mistake.

I also meant to block off that doorway. I just forgot. Though at some point I might go back and add in some optional stuff and easter eggs for explorers as well. I might do the same for the upstairs area of the next map, as well. Until then, I'll make sure all stairways are appropriately blocked off.

Ah, I had no idea about that teleporter issue. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Don't know why I never thought to playtest going back through, though I did have some issues with the first one. I think I can solve it by rotating the first teleporter 180 degrees.
    9). The cult leader appeared as an NPC on the floor immediately after the conversation, even while she was still fighting. You may need to change the appearance variable to Component Complete (specific enemy defeated).
    Huh, yeah I will have to fix that appear when trigger. Didn't notice it in play-through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    I believe everything should be fixed now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hi, I'd like to do a review trade with you. Mine is called "A Call for Heroes".

I know its hard trying to get plays for a long foundry from my own experience, but stay strong!
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I gave it a play and quite enjoyed the story. I like the humor. There were some little things here and there, but nothing major.

-Emo guys have "Kobold" as their Group name and one still looks like a kobold.
    -Few other name issues like that throughout.
    -Floating barricades in the tunnels.
    -Hard to spot the chain at the end to climb out. I thought it was bugged after closing the entrance to hell. Looked like it keeps sending me back to talk to Darkness. Change quest text to be "Climb the chain to get out"
    -Floating grass in last map near Queen.

--Winin
    edited August 2014
    I have already changed the quest text for the chain, and that will be fixed in my next update.

There are supposed to be some kobolds in the Cult. That said, yes, some of them I took from the "Kobold" list instead of the "Cult of the Dragon list" and I may not have bothered to change the group name. Though there are probably some where it's fairly important. I'll check out.

I'll check out floating grass and barricades. The grass was tough because the terrain isn't 100% even, so just exposing it at all on one side might mean it's floating on the other. I'll look for anything noticeable. Better to have some of it buried than to have floating grass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One other trick I use is to put something under it. Rock or something so doesn't look weird.

The kobolds are good, just make sure they don't get confused as not being part of the Cult.
    edited August 2014
    Just need a couple more plays before I am daily eligible!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]