test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Domination scoring? Kill a lot and ignore capture points? How do you maximise glory?

cyencecyence Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 99 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
I have been playing domination at lvl 60 for a few weeks. I leveled through domination and have not done much pve. I notice at lvl 60 that many players just go for kills and seem to ignore the capture points. Why? I think domination is a great game type, I enjoy territory battles. It brings another layer to the combat besides who can out DPS who. Yet so many well geared players seem to ignore the point of domination.

Am I missing something? I saw a guy go 30 and 0 on a losing team. He could have won the game single handedly, but he just kept slaughtering the easy kills on our team. I get my 5 glory per kill, but I would rather win. I assume the glory I get for winning is better than having a few more kills on a losing team, but I am not sure. Could someone explain how to maximize glory and if playing as a team is worth it?

FWIW, I am a GF in t2 pvp gear.
Post edited by cyence on

Comments

• aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Usually because they don't know what they're doing.

You're a GF. Your place is on/near the node. Generally, a TR should be running between 1 and 3. CWs and HRs often can't fight on it for long, so they hang back (or above) while the fighters stay on it. If you already own it, and they're coming to take it, you can fight in front of it, so they don't stop your points by standing on it. Of course, if they're smart, they'll run past you and fight on it, but many aren't that smart.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    PvP campaign tasks.

Domination
    Capture 100 Capture Points.
    Earn 75 Double Kills.
    Execute 150 players.
    Earn 300 Kills or Assists against melee players.
    Earn 300 Kills or Assists against ranged players.
    Earn 750 Kills or Assists.
    Earn 500 Kills or Assists while below half health.
    Revive 100 allies.
    Earn 40 Triple Kills.
    Win 100 Matches.
  • radiotubbyradiotubby Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    PvP campaign tasks.

Domination
    Capture 100 Capture Points.
    Earn 75 Double Kills.
    Execute 150 players.
    Earn 300 Kills or Assists against melee players.
    Earn 300 Kills or Assists against ranged players.
    Earn 750 Kills or Assists.
    Earn 500 Kills or Assists while below half health.
    Revive 100 allies.
    Earn 40 Triple Kills.
    Win 100 Matches.

Yes, I think campaign is what most players are going for and most of them are kill tasks. Newbies normally go for easy node captures. So are farmers who intend to sell the first glory cache campaign reward only. More experienced players usually go for kills. However, if the ultimate goal of a player is to complete all the tasks and gain the Domination Champion title, I think the best strategy is to go for the wins all the time. I went for the kills and got all the other 9 tasks completed well before the "win 100 matches". It doesn't sound like a good management of time.

By the way, I don't like the "capture 100 nodes" task. It is too easy to be abused by farmers to ruin his team. "Capture 500 nodes" is more appropriate.
  • gwassalorgwassalor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, and these campaign goals are yet another thing that gimps support classes. Out of 10 goals, 7 is about killing (=read "DPS"). Why there are no corresponding goals for healers and defenders? Think of "Earn best healer in 100 matches", or "Earn best tank in 100 matches", or "Best node defender", etc. It's just kill kill kill, so people running around and killing stuff. My main is GF and I have just finished 7 goals and earned the the banner, but I can't think I'd ever complete the double or triple kills. I think I have like 2 triple kills at the moment, even having completed 7 other goals...
  • caldrecaldre Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Welcome to PvP in neverwinter.

Serouoisly, I've trio queued before with 2 other BiS players and we ran into a 4 man premade that, all in all, weren't that good. We lost after almost an hour of fighting because our 2 PuGs had 7 K GS and just stayed away from the enemy, unless they were on a pillar and stayed away from the node totally.

It's such a lot of fun, especially when you ask them to get on node.. Get called all sorts of things like **** and scrub etc when you're the person contesting the point and have double their GS. Not that GS matters too much, but generally, 7 K means the person hasn't got a clue.. I've had toons be 10 K GS at level 50. Not hard to get ^^
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In the end, winning the match is what 'maximizes' your GL gain per given time.
    So those who contend for personal kills at the price of the match are really, doing something stupid.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • cyencecyence Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    So those who contend for personal kills at the price of the match are really, doing something stupid.
    Thanks for the explanation. I was not sure if I was missing something. I love the domination game mode, it just seems some people don't really play the game to win.
  • iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    radiotubby wrote: »
    Yes, I think campaign is what most players are going for and most of them are kill tasks. Newbies normally go for easy node captures. So are farmers who intend to sell the first glory cache campaign reward only. More experienced players usually go for kills. However, if the ultimate goal of a player is to complete all the tasks and gain the Domination Champion title, I think the best strategy is to go for the wins all the time. I went for the kills and got all the other 9 tasks completed well before the "win 100 matches". It doesn't sound like a good management of time.

By the way, I don't like the "capture 100 nodes" task. It is too easy to be abused by farmers to ruin his team. "Capture 500 nodes" is more appropriate.
    you realize how long farming that would take you would have to lvl up a toon to 10 get 100 capture points claim reward delete toon level up another one and repeat the same process all over again for what 2k glory no thanks.
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally I want to Player vs Player not Player vs Resources... The whole resource farming on 2 pvp maps has gotten stale!

Gimme a Death match , some Capture the Flag, maybe an assault on a fort, anything to break the monotony.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    some Capture the Flag

I posted on this a while back. Would love to see a CTF game type.

@OP - You've run into the PvP Campaigners. They're trying to get the achievements, not win the game. I really have no opinion on this but I try to win, the achievements will follow.
    I aim to misbehave
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would say it is a mix of 80% ignorance and 20% egoism, if ppl play that way. I get my worst scores, if I run PUG with 4 noobs. I contest the point 1v2,3 or 4 and they come along to leech the capture and the kills, padding their own backs 'gg', 'we rule' aso., while I am to busy running and dieing, to give them my opinion about their skill.

This only works, if the enemy is equaly undergeared as my team. Against a decent team I get crushed in 5 seconds and my team follows 2 seconds later.

Second option is, that the PVP player got fed up getting killed 4v1 while his 'team' went with 4 ppl to the homebase and goes for kills instead of getting killed against overhelming odds.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • letalinletalin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kweassa wrote: »

I don't think so. Since the ladder system is rare enough, killing people and not dying gives you more points than actually wining the game. I am not talking about glory gain. I used to do w/e needed to win the game, including holding a node till death just for the extra points on the other and ended losing more standing than climbing up. Maybe that's the reason why people just kill and kill
  • umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gwassalor wrote: »
    Yeah, and these campaign goals are yet another thing that gimps support classes. Out of 10 goals, 7 is about killing (=read "DPS"). Why there are no corresponding goals for healers and defenders? Think of "Earn best healer in 100 matches", or "Earn best tank in 100 matches", or "Best node defender", etc. It's just kill kill kill, so people running around and killing stuff. My main is GF and I have just finished 7 goals and earned the the banner, but I can't think I'd ever complete the double or triple kills. I think I have like 2 triple kills at the moment, even having completed 7 other goals...

DPS? As in Damage Per Second?

How is getting kills in PVP about DPS?

Clerics and GFs have great burst damage. While due to the lack of DPS (due to recharge) makes it hard to get those triple kills, double kills should be completely doable.