test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Insane FPS drops in dungeons

hhmaniak1hhmaniak1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
Hey guys
when running dungeons (epic and normal, solo and 5-man) im experiencing just insanely low FPS spikes, like 0-1 fps
this doesnt happen anywhere else in the game. I can't run dungeons with this stool going on... What is interesting this occurrence is not present thoughout the whole instance (happens when there are no mobs too) and is totally independant from any graphic options. It's the same on ultra and low graphics lol :D

My rig is i7 4770, 16gb ram, gtx 760
Here are screenshots of my current graphic options

Qo4lkAy.png

CRBYEW0.png

One more weird thing. Anyone knows why my weapon is changing colors when I'm in PE?
wlVeuV7.png

Thanks in advance
Post edited by hhmaniak1 on

Comments

• caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is a bit offtopic, but looking at that screenshot it seems like you didn't turn on anti aliasing in "display" tab.
    Maybe it's changing colour due to the weapon enchantment. I suppose you have a lesser vorpal.

As for fps drops, they can occur from time to time, but nothing considerable, except for MC.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
  • atodoatodo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Put " Max physics debris objects " to 0 and you`ll be fine.
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What Atodo said do that you'll be fine

I get slow down with that at 300 in some cases with my 780 Ti SLI rig which is pretty decked out and can play virtually anything a high rez and high detail so it's an issue we can't fix on our end other then to turn down that debris slider to my knowledge.
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There re several types of lag in this game. FPS drop as you described, sometimes can be solved by pressing alt-tab or (WindowsKey-D) to go out of game, then get focus back to game.
    Also i think that Cryptic recently changed how the game reacts during network/server lag. Before it was mostly ruberbanding, but probably because of many complains of this and because it is too obvious, few pathces ago they changed how the game react during network problems. Now it feels like FPS drops instead of sudden teleporting all over battlefield, but it is still same problem - it just looks little bit different.
    edited July 2014
    mmm1001 wrote: »
    There re several types of lag in this game. FPS drop as you described, sometimes can be solved by pressing alt-tab or (WindowsKey-D) to go out of game, then get focus back to game.
    Also i think that Cryptic recently changed how the game reacts during network/server lag. Before it was mostly ruberbanding, but probably because of many complains of this and because it is too obvious, few pathces ago they changed how the game react during network problems. Now it feels like FPS drops instead of sudden teleporting all over battlefield, but it is still same problem - it just looks little bit different.

Lag (latency) and FPS drops are two completely different things. Only thing that they have in common is that they affect gaming experience in a bad way. I have noticed that a lot of players don't know difference between these two.
    Lag, latency or rubberbanding is caused by bad communication between player's computer and game's server. This can be caused either by player's ISP (internet service provider), or it can be caused by server itself, although in most cases it is caused by player's ISP.
    FPS drops are caused by poor hardware performance, and have nothing to do with lag. In some cases, like in Malabog's Castle, it is caused by poor design, which in turn causes poor hardware performance.
    3.jpg
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    caunsidh wrote: »
    Lag (latency) and FPS drops are two completely different things. Only thing that they have in common is that they affect gaming experience in a bad way. I have noticed that a lot of players don't know difference between these two.
    Lag, latency or rubberbanding is caused by bad communication between player's computer and game's server. This can be caused either by player's ISP (internet service provider), or it can be caused by server itself, although in most cases it is caused by player's ISP.
    FPS drops are caused by poor hardware performance, and have nothing to do with lag. In some cases, like in Malabog's Castle, it is caused by poor design, which in turn causes poor hardware performance.

I perfectly know the difference, and as i said it looks like recently cryptic changed client behavior during lag. Now client drops fps instead of so obvious rubberbanding/teleporting. I think this is done in order to reduce huge number of complains for rubberbanding after module 3 introduction.
    edited July 2014
    If you did, you wouldn't make an assumption like that. Why am I still rubberbanding then from time to time?

They cannot magically turn lag into fps drops, since lag is not caused by them.
    Please make a distinction between those two.
    3.jpg
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I experienced both lag and fps issues in a SP run earlier. GTX Titan, 5GHz i7 2600K, frames slowed down to 8fps at points. Ping also went up to 800-1600ms from an average (in the dungeon) of 190-220ms. Sometimes they even happened at the same time.
    Kinda assuming the fps issues are a driver thing again (I'm on the latest Nvidia drivers, but the latest NW patch might cause issues).
    Random lag is pretty much a constant in NW, especially for non-NA players.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited July 2014
    It has to be due to your computer, since you have better hardware than me, and I experience FPS drops only in Malabog's Castle, and they are really, really bad. Sometimes they can occur while doing epic HE, but that's about it. Other dungeons are fine.

As for the exact cause, it could be millions of reasons. Hardware, drivers, background applications, malicious software, even Windows update...
    3.jpg
  • goldmember7goldmember7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    There is a well known problem with Spellplague where the often FPS drops to slide show. (At first boss if I remember well.) A party member once said it was a memory leak, I am not sure if that is confirmed or a hypothesis. There are definitely rare issues in some dungeons that makes my FPS go from about 90 to <1. I will try the debris option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hhmaniak1hhmaniak1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What goldmember7 said. It happens to me in karru, sp and fh, mostly at the beginning. I turned debris off and karrundax runs fine now. Didnt have the time to try the others but i think it should be ok.

What about the second topic? Weapon changing colors in (among others) protectors enclave? I also experienced a visual bug where my weapon was stuck to my hand after casting. Looks ridiculous and is rather annoying... :mad:

Edit: I noticed caunsidh suggested it could be lesser vorpal? Come to think of it i have an lv on my hr and same thing happens, anyone can confirm this?
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The weapon stuck to the hand after casting is probably the retro bug that got brought back with anniversary event - the enchantment effect rendering getting out of sync with the enchanted gear (I've noticed a lot of alone standing soulforged effects since then, e.g. like a skirt standing several feet behind the character).
    For me it seems the fps drop is related to the rendering of certain skills cast by mobs/bosses, e.g. like when Jawbone casts anything by moving her staff or when the skull summoning dread knight explodes. Both have this dark flames animation and cause a noticeable halt. In FH I didn't notice any problems except for the cases when the bosses manage to summon really a huge amount of adds. However, I've seen many people experience lag as soon as they enter this dungeon, I suspect it might be related to how the ice terrain is rendered and possible calculations with ice ground interacting with mobs/chars. Since Karrundax is also a special area (fire ground) it might be a similar issue. And SP has alot of plaguefire effects on the ground.
    MC is definitely bugged in many ways and the first part of the zone before the first boss is just terrible to clear (plus the "stuck before the first gate" bug which makes the dungeon uncompleteable if someone from the team has to leave). But it's bugged for such a long time that it doesn't seem like it will ever be fixed...