test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you prefer custom gear stats?

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Would the community prefer to have custom gear stats or new gear with more sub stat bonuses like control bonus etc.

Custom stats would be like allow for gear have have multiple enchant slots and slot enchantments to give the bonuses that are desired or some similar feature.
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Custom gear stats? Are you meaning that we set what stat we want? That's a bad idea, a very bad idea.

edit*

I see the clarification with the poll. Neither, I'd like a new tier.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Custom gear stats would be so easy to abuse, even if they capped at T1 quality.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Custom gear stats? Are you meaning that we set what stat we want? That's a bad idea, a very bad idea.

To some degree yes, in a previous game I played we had custom gear and we could switch out what stats the gear offered, your choice was still somewhat limited as the mods you had to use modified 3 stats and you had to choose more of what you wanted to bump up, but it allowed for one, more unique looking appearances as the gear was just a shell you could pick what mods to put in it. In this game that would be like an enchantment that modifies 2 or three stats a certain amount an you could either stack just those or balance out how you see fit. There is still some give an take but you had more control of how to reach your caps for stats.

It worked well in that game, not sure I see how its a bad idea. Sure if you allowed people to stack 20k in power that would be funny but that same person would have no points in any other stat and odds are would be 1 shotted even by a 10th level character lol.

I personally liked picking out the shell of my gear and then choosing which stats its bumping that met with my play style. The set bonsues of that game were tied to the mods you put into so again further restricting you since you couldn't just make mods that gave set bonuses you had to farm for them pull them from boss drops and put them in shell you wanted wear.

This offered up a lot of mixing sets, like I personally don't like stacking deflect on High Vizier, so I would rip the mods out and put say the mods from a magelord into a high vizier so that I had something that stacked defense instead of deflect. I can't remember how the other game did the set bonuses like that, I think the primary mod is what governed the set bonus the two secondary ones didn't matter.

So for example your chest piece would have an armor mod and then one or more other sub mods that gave bonses. The armor would probably give HP AC and maybe defense, the others would modify various other stats in some combination. The armor piece would dictate the set bonus you got (hv armor mod would grant hv set bonus no matter what armor shell it was). You had to have the primary armor mod of each piece (head, arm, feet and chest) to get a full set bonus or 2/2 if you wanted to do something like that.

Worked well in that game, it seems it would be a welcome edition here where so much gear has stat bonuses that people don't want for their play style.

Of course there are still hard and soft caps ... just gives more desirable stat spreads for play style.
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To some degree yes, in a previous game I played we had custom gear and we could switch out what stats the gear offered, your choice was still somewhat limited as the mods you had to use modified 3 stats and you had to choose more of what you wanted to bump up, but it allowed for one, more unique looking appearances as the gear was just a shell you could pick what mods to put in it. In this game that would be like an enchantment that modifies 2 or three stats a certain amount an you could either stack just those or balance out how you see fit. There is still some give an take but you had more control of how to reach your caps for stats.

It worked well in that game, not sure I see how its a bad idea. Sure if you allowed people to stack 20k in power that would be funny but that same person would have no points in any other stat and odds are would be 1 shotted even by a 10th level character lol.

I personally liked picking out the shell of my gear and then choosing which stats its bumping that met with my play style. The set bonsues of that game were tied to the mods you put into so again further restricting you since you couldn't just make mods that gave set bonuses you had to farm for them pull them from boss drops and put them in shell you wanted wear.

This offered up a lot of mixing sets, like I personally don't like stacking deflect on High Vizier, so I would rip the mods out and put say the mods from a magelord into a high vizier so that I had something that stacked defense instead of deflect. I can't remember how the other game did the set bonuses like that, I think the primary mod is what governed the set bonus the two secondary ones didn't matter.

So for example your chest piece would have an armor mod and then one or more other sub mods that gave bonses. The armor would probably give HP AC and maybe defense, the others would modify various other stats in some combination. The armor piece would dictate the set bonus you got (hv armor mod would grant hv set bonus no matter what armor shell it was). You had to have the primary armor mod of each piece (head, arm, feet and chest) to get a full set bonus or 2/2 if you wanted to do something like that.

Worked well in that game, it seems it would be a welcome edition here where so much gear has stat bonuses that people don't want for their play style.

Of course there are still hard and soft caps ... just gives more desirable stat spreads for play style.

Sounds like SWTOR to me.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014

And you could watch some classes become unkillable in pvp. Imagine an hr stacking up on deflect for their healing, defense, and regen/health even more. Yeah they might not kill well at that point but they could sit on a node against 5 BiS people to never let that node get points. You would be able to seriously break any semblance of balance with it.
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Cool would be the profession: Enchanter.
    Like in other games to enchant your armor with small stat bonus or alternate effects (third layer of effects, after armor itself and enchantments). The ressources can dropp in high end instances.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    Sounds like SWTOR to me.

Yes but I try not to mention game names as I read in the rules of conduct that isn't proper. However since you said it, yes it is and this game has enchants as it is, so why not take it further and make it so I could for instance have power recover defense instead of power recovery and deflect. Because i'd be swapping out what stats are modified from one armor set for another.

I swear everyone on here is assuming i'm talking about allowing people to have no points in defense and have huge points in deflect. If stats still cap that isn't going to happen any worse than it is now. How many people have gone about how a certain class has an armor set that gives stat bonuses they don't like (ahem DC with arp or life steal) how often are those followed up with people that say what stats should be bumped or focused on?

Nothing in this game seems to be immune to abuse i'm just saying it seems like it would be nice to have some actual choice. If we didn't have these enchantments in the game (already game breaking since you r9 and 10 people can stomp anyone under you pretty much) I wouldn't say anything about it, but the baseline for the system is already there.

And of course every person who has commented hasn't even bothered answering the other side of that question, getting new gear that comes out that bumps other stats more like having control bonus stat bumps, combat advantage etc.