test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Black Ice Gloves

zeratozerato Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys,

I know you can get them as a reward by doing Heroic Encounters in IWD.
Ok I have done like 30-40 encounters already from minor to epic and still haven't got gloves.
I always get green reward or rare and just 1 time I got an epic reward but got a epic stuff not for my class.
Anyway am I doing something wrong or must I have do something to increase the chance like dealing the most damage?
Are they dropped only in epic encounters or also from major and minor?
Post edited by zerato on

Comments

• Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I wouldn't bother with the minor ones, the major ones can drop them. Epic of course being your best bet.
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Epic Heroic Encounters offer the best chance to get the gloves (or main hand item, if in Dwarven Valley), but they can apparently drop from the second-tier HE's (Corrupt Bears, Yeti Rampage etc).

Don't feel bad, though. I'm at over 100 HE's with my main (a DC), and I have neither the gloves nor the main hand. I know others out there will dwarf my numbers, too, with no sign of a drop.

As an aside, I really dislike this method of getting what is, for all intents and purposes, essential gear. Had they even offered a token post-HE (even if given out semi-randomly), it would allow people some hope that they would eventually be able to get the item. As it is, it seems to be a complete crapshoot. I have a GF secondary alt (that is, a character I pull out when I don't want to play my main or my primary alt) - first trip to Dwarven Valley, I got my long sword. Within a dozen HE's in IWP, I had my gloves. *headdesk*
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The one time I finally get an epic from a heroic encounter, it's an elk tribe dagger, on my CW /facepalm

Think it was from protecting the prospectors in icewind pass.

With mod 4 zooming right around the corner, I'm honestly not too worried about it. I don't even have a single piece of black ice gear yet.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm hoping that BI gear is actually useful in mod 4 - along with a better way to acquire the gloves / main hand. It'd be different if I was just trying to get a piece of regular tier gear, but this is a bit ridiculous...
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cdnbison wrote: »
    I'm hoping that BI gear is actually useful in mod 4 - along with a better way to acquire the gloves / main hand. It'd be different if I was just trying to get a piece of regular tier gear, but this is a bit ridiculous...

I'd rather they came out with new gear that was actually useful.
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Don't forget you need more than just the two random drops, to actually DO anything with them you need other purple random drops! :D

I've never gotten the Black Ice Gloves, and I do a lot of HEs when I'm in Icewind Pass for the enchants to feed my artis, since monsters in major/epic ones drop Rank 4/Rank 5 fairly frequently.

I got my Black Ice Dagger on my TR long ago, my second Beholder or so. Still haven't gotten the fiddly doodad to make either the Corrupt or Purified Dagger. Don't care enough to buy it. *shrug*

BI's main use seems to be a specific PvP TR build anyway, which I don't focus on, so I just got the helm/boots needed to do Kessel's(And still haven't ever found a party for it, although I haven't actively looked) and called it a day. I'll stick with my Swashbuckling Captain set, thanks.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As an aside, I really dislike this method of getting what is, for all intents and purposes, essential gear. Had they even offered a token post-HE (even if given out semi-randomly), it would allow people some hope that they would eventually be able to get the item. As it is, it seems to be a complete crapshoot.

You're not alone.

Another game I occasionally play had/has an rng system for obtaining items, I don't think it was popular there either. In recent content it's been changed to an achievement based system. If you want an item it's clearly stated what you need to do to get it. Sadly at this stage at least it's not a retrospective change so it only applies to the new content.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    After well over 100 majors and a fair number of epics, I finally got the gloves... off of the corrupted wolves of all things.
    I was at it for a fair amount of time smacking the wolves around before others finally showed up near the end, so it looks like it may increase your odds if you do a substantial portion of the damage needed to complete the HE. Which means good luck on the Epics, because those get swarmed under by dozens of people within moments of spawning.
    My recommendation would be get a small group together and go after the Majors in a zone that doesn't have a lot of people in it, or while they're all busy with the Remorhaz or Raiders.
  • Options
    ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Worse part is I know they didn't intend for the Remorhaz to be a 40 man attack, but that is what happens.
    This tells me a few things if 40 people show up for Remorhaz!
    They Don't have high enough drop rate or
    They don't have high enough Epic Encounters or
    They don't have enough instances to keep populating lower.
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just got my 2nd glove today. I showed up at the end of Raid the Raiders
    and put a few hits in on the boss. (15 people had already done the work).
    Got the first one from the Captured Minors in Ice Wind.

I don't think you steal other people's chances. I think it's a random drop,
    so long as you didn't just ride thru the area. Have done lots of Majors
    with almost no help, only to get Common items.

Doesn't seem to matter that these are not Epic. But minor encounters will
    never giver epic items.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    in about a month most wont even be doing HE's lol seems to be once people gear there characters they dont bother with them
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    in about a month most wont even be doing HE's lol seems to be once people gear there characters they dont bother with them

No, why should they - the rewards are not worth the effort. Many people do go back to Sharandar after completing it, just for the Lesser Fay Blessing enchants. Also, some people go to Dread Ring after completing it for the daily instance offered by Knox, but for IWD? THere isn't really anything pulling people back. If you use the purified or corrupted armor, you get enough for recharging it just by doing KR every now and then....the reward/effort ratio is just too low for the rest (although I do admit I do Need For Mead for the chance to get that yeti companion...it still sells for a nice price)
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Epic Heroic Encounters offer the best chance to get the gloves (or main hand item, if in Dwarven Valley), but they can apparently drop from the second-tier HE's (Corrupt Bears, Yeti Rampage etc).

Don't feel bad, though. I'm at over 100 HE's with my main (a DC), and I have neither the gloves nor the main hand. I know others out there will dwarf my numbers, too, with no sign of a drop.

As an aside, I really dislike this method of getting what is, for all intents and purposes, essential gear. Had they even offered a token post-HE (even if given out semi-randomly), it would allow people some hope that they would eventually be able to get the item. As it is, it seems to be a complete crapshoot. I have a GF secondary alt (that is, a character I pull out when I don't want to play my main or my primary alt) - first trip to Dwarven Valley, I got my long sword. Within a dozen HE's in IWP, I had my gloves. *headdesk*

Agreed! I have done at least 125 encounters of all types with two of my toons and have not gotten them either!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    catchtheteemocatchtheteemo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The drop rate is terrible and to add to that, the encounter spawn rates are also terrible.

So what can one do other than sit in IWD and stare at the screen like a zombie ? I spam lfg & zone channel but rarely do u get invites or see msgs for the epic heroics. Heck, i dont mind doing more major heroics.... but even those dont spawn much. (please dont count ML... that one sucks and gives crappy rewards).

Its become rather frustrating. Not sure how the developers feel about alienating their customers with a zero fun - hopeless grindfest.

I already dumped one NWN account with 16.7k GWF + 16.6k HR. Now i feel like dumping my main account with 15k CW and 16k DC.

:/
  • Options
    spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Black Ice gear is not worth the hassle. Outside the boons I don't bother with IWD on my toons.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ring of Xvim. Nice from Icewind campaign.

Also, the only area I know I can find rank 5 (black ice) enchants easily, or professions supplies from loot.

I know people whom farm and farm 500 encounters to FINALLY get gloves. I know people whom still haven't gotten a Yeti.

Go.. out there and play it for fun. Do random encouters. Go in a group for PvP.

You should have to put in some effort, but the moment you make it "a job" to find or do something it loses a lot of fun. Go play!
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Also, the only area I know I can find rank 5 (black ice) enchants easily,

By the time you finish the boons you will have enough black ice to purchase the boots and helm. From those you craft 1 enchant, place in helm, power them up, and queue for Kessels Retreat. In Kessel's Retreat those Rank 5's drop all over the place. KR is a good skirmish to hit during the Skirmish event because of this.
    or professions supplies from loot.

Those drop almost anywhere.
    Go.. out there and play it for fun. Do random encouters. Go in a group for PvP.

Pass. Life is too short to sit around trying to convince myself watching paint dry is exciting.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    reilz1981 wrote: »

There is no decent lure to convince anyone that they'd want to grind out the icewind module on more than one character unless they're into pvp.

Due to the drop rate's and poor performance in the module 3 zones I'm not going to bother using it for gearing. The whole black ice resist mechanic seems farcical at best when the majority of stuff you meet in kessels is exactly the same as you'd meet in the general zones.

I've stopped doing the yeti daily as half the time the yeti wasnt dropping the item and when it did you still have the awful rng for feeding the thing.

Once I can be bothered to get a 3rd perk on my TR they'll go to icewind as far as the pub for the vault quest then that'll be me completely done with the place.

I think it's telling that not a week had gone by into the launch of module 3 and they were already starting to promote module 4. Given how bad some of the design choices were in this one I shudder to think how poor it will be. That said I've just seen the warlock post and it looks interesting However they're still not launching the class as a full release to boost sales of retrain tokens once the other paragon path comes out.
  • Options
    kabinoleskabinoles Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    if BRiggins give you something more then tokens and black ice it would be great
    Dread ring and sharandar give you that so I go there every day,like a purple armor or weapon
    Maybe you are lucky to get the artifact from Dread ring
    Let Briggins drop like the bracers too,its 1 a week
    thats why in IWD I just hop in look for the jeti and hop out
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ok, so I am feeling very lucky after reading this. I got a pair of gloves on one of my toon army, the one i have been working through iwd , but I just hit 50 to open the 2nd tier campaign 'feats', so i have not done it all that much. I assumed the gloves were not sought after as I have not even begun to farm yet and had them drop.

The thing is, I did not get my full hv set all that long ago and that took me a good 50 runs (or more) so I am reluctant to swap out part of that set for BI gear. Is it really worth it? It does nto seem all that special. I am sitting on 13k black ice too, just do not know if it is worth the investment. If IWD made all the t2 gear obsolete, then I assume whatever Mod 4 offers will do the same for IWD... but thats how mmos go right?
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The thing is, I did not get my full hv set all that long ago and that took me a good 50 runs (or more) so I am reluctant to swap out part of that set for BI gear. Is it really worth it? It does nto seem all that special. I am sitting on 13k black ice too, just do not know if it is worth the investment. If IWD made all the t2 gear obsolete, then I assume whatever Mod 4 offers will do the same for IWD... but thats how mmos go right?

I think it all depends on what class you are, and what you are doing.
    For my GWF, I had all four parts of the Avatar of War set, and was reluctant to switch anything out because depending on the piece I was losing the stats I wanted. However, after getting the full set, and improving them to either corrupted (for the armor bits) or purified (for the weapon and sword knot), and adding the ring (2x corrupted), the belt, and the cloak, then adding the overload enchants and buffing anything that takes black ice charge up to T3, my overall stats are substantially higher than they were with AoW, and the only thing I really lost appears to be a slight amount of damage resist (more than offset by the added damage potential, plus the healing buffs from various black ice procs).
    I wouldn't say that the BI gear made the T2 gear obsolete, because you don't need to keep feeding ice to the T2 gear. However, a Kessel Run every now and then and you've got enough ice to feed, especially if you find an extra ring, belt, or cloak and salvage that (you get raw black ice, not raw ADs, for salvaging black ice gear).
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is, look at the overall total stats of the black ice set, then compare to what you're wanting from your T2 gear. Choose whichever one works for you.