test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tanks / Guardian Fighters just suck in pvp...

silverleadsilverlead Member Posts: 63
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
I've come to the conclusion now that guardian fighters / tanks just suck in pvp no matter what you spec or buy. I've tried it all. What really shows me this is after I created a rogue and once I got the idea how to play them I cleaned house in pvp with little effort and all green gear! WTF! So I'm not really *****in' per say because I might play a bit more now that I know what class to be in pvp and have fun kickin' butt effortlessly!

- D
Post edited by silverlead on

Comments

• pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What are you even saying in your post?

I don't even..
  • silverleadsilverlead Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2014
    Hehe can't read my cryptic grammar or what? Is it meh speilin'?

Basically I'm saying being a Guardian Fighter AKA Tank in PvP is harder than other classes from what I've played so far. So far I've found Control Wizards to be pretty easy in pvp but Rogues are a bit even easier and hunters are like super easy mode to me. But I've only played my Tank up to level 51 and my rogue, CW and hunter up to level 20ish. Guardian Fighters just can't crank out good DPS compared to other classes and they seem to have very little defense with a small shield meter whereas other classes have better defense with teleports or stealth or speed etc etc. I'd be happy as a Guardian Fighter if I did not have near the DPS of other classes but I think their defense should be greatly increased in PvP, well and PvE for that matter too.

Oh also I find the Guardian Fighter skill that has no cool down that lets you dash to a target has too short of a range and when you do use it you stop too short half the time of being able to make melee attacks and thus you can still be kited. This skill seems to be an anti-kite skill but with how poorly it works I don't find it useful most of the time because as soon as you rush to them it takes a few milliseconds before you can start to move or control your character again and that is enough time for your target to get 2-4 steps away from you so you can't make any hits. But it could be my super slow connection and computer, an 8 core 8350 with 2 560s in Ti with 64 gigs of ram (for cad and 3d modeling) so maybe it's that but if I was a gambling man I would say the game is horribly optimized!

Agree? Disagree? Discus...
  • f4ll3nph03n1xf4ll3nph03n1x Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've generally found in most games that, unless there's a significant balance issue, tanks are generally just "fodder" in PvP. Which bothers me because I think that if gameplay mechanics in MMOs for PvP were more substantive, you could have situations where tanks could form a front-line "phalanx", thus making battle formations a real thing.

But yeah generally speaking, I don't think Neverwinter is alone in having tanks be useless in PvP.
  • yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    My friend plays GF with like 45k life and is pretty usefull in PvP with mod 4 buffs GF's will be even better.
    edited July 2014
    I've generally found in most games that, unless there's a significant balance issue, tanks are generally just "fodder" in PvP. Which bothers me because I think that if gameplay mechanics in MMOs for PvP were more substantive, you could have situations where tanks could form a front-line "phalanx", thus making battle formations a real thing.

But yeah generally speaking, I don't think Neverwinter is alone in having tanks be useless in PvP.

I TOTALLY agree about battle tactics in pvp! This is what I was hoping for in NW, that they would finally have done it right. I also agree as magenubbie said that it could be worse and NW does do it better than most other MMOs but to me that is not really a good excuse. At every MMO launch I try a tank class in PvP hoping that finally they can be useful. I have a dream! I dream of a day when Tanks and other classes can all be equally valuable in pvp! I have a dream that one day the tanks of our great community will be treated with respect and able to enter the same facilities and events without prejudice! I have a dream that one day tanks will have useful defense tactics and mechanics in PvP! I have a dream...

hehe kinda in bad taste but I sometimes feel this way when it comes to my beloved Tank Class.

Oh also I think one easy way that NW could make tanks somewhat useful in pvp is by rewarding them for staying on a node or I mean defending a node. Or put in an easy mechanic that rewards them for the frontline defense and for knocking enemies outside of the node's radius...? I'm sure you guys have some really cool ideas that you can come up with that could be implemented easily...? Maybe we should all post those ideas in the guardian fighter section and also in the suggestion section if there is one? If not them maybe we just find some emails of the devs or some of the suits who are doing the calls and managing the talent and persuade them to add some better mechanics in? Shouldn't be too hard to find some of their email addresses and maybe send a weekly email to all of the email addresses that we find???
    edited July 2014
    So where would I find these mod 4 changes? I keep hearing people talk about them and some are contradicting others so I'm surious what the truth is. Is there an official release of the coming mod 4 changes written up somewhere?
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yuccapalm wrote: »
    My friend plays GF with like 45k life and is pretty usefull in PvP with mod 4 buffs GF's will be even better.

With mod 4 "buffs" GF will be useless in PvP.
    edited July 2014
    Other than finding a bunch of Wizards of the Coast posts or article on various sites talking about how wonderful they are and how awesome the new mod 4 will be this is the only link I found that actually had some stats/specs on the class changes:
    tyranny-of-dragons-preview-patch-notes
    But are they true? Will there be more changes not mentioned?

Here is what I found:

Guardian Fighter

All item sets, feats and class features relating to Guard Meter should now be updated to use Stamina instead.
    - Uhhh ok what does this mean? Do we currently have stamina and I'm not aware of it? Does this mean we will have more of a guard meter now or less?

Block: Now activates more quickly and has a .25 second cooldown after being released (down from .5 seconds).
    - uhhh. Block as in pushing the SHIFT key, this block? I did not know it had a .5 second delay. Does it?

Block: Now consumes Stamina and Reduces incoming damage by 80% while active.
    - uhhh.. ok I'm really feeling dumb with all the "uhhh" remarks now. granted I'm new to this game but did blocking use to block more or less than 80%? Also what exactly does it not block now? I ask because many things can get past my block but it does not tell you which in the description which is just bad or lazy of the devs or suits to not tell us what exactly can and can not be blocked.

Constitution: Each point of Constitution increases max HP by 4% (up from 2%).
    -Ahhh awesome! Ok this is the way I like to see changes go for tank class!

Enforced Threat: Can now hit up to 20 (up from 8) nearby targets.
    - Aha! I like this too!

Enhanced Mark: Now grants 75% bonus threat per rank (up from 33%).
    - Awesome! I'm liking this too! But this has zero use in PvP. I've not played many other classes yet but do any of the other classes have skills that are useless in PvP too? If not shame shame on the devs and suits! If anything else this skill SHOULD make whomever gets "marked" face the tank. Not like it will do much but might just save someone from taking a hit or two.

Armor of Bahamut Feat: This feat has been redesigned: When Stamina is below 30%, you take 2/4/6/8/10% less damage from all sources.
    - Not sure what it did before but sounds good. Is it?

Iron Warrior: Base threat bonus increased to 200% (up from 150%).
    - Awesome I guess. But again another skill/action that has no use in PvP.

Knight's Valor: Now transfer's 200% (up from 50%) of the threat allies deal to you.
    - Another awesome PvE skill that is useless in PvP. Hmmm I'm starting to see a pattern here that Tanks got no real love for PvP still...?

Mark: Mark will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list.
    - ok good deal but again this does not help in PvP.

Mark: Now causes you to deal 200% (up from 100%) additional threat on Marked targets and now grants combat advantage to the Guardian Fighter's Allies.
    - hmmmm. Great we can give a temp buff to our allies. Woohoo! NOT! I think this should also buff the tank in some minor way too! WTH!

Have some of you already asked the devs about any of the questions I listed and have any answers for me?

- D
    edited July 2014

I think you're right Kat. Unless there are other changes that I'm not aware of. If so anyone have an offical link to them?
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not to rehash the entire discussion on it, that is happening here.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?692701-Official-Feedback-Thread-Guardian-Fighter-Changes

All 53 pages of it.

However, the two main changes to GF are the block mechanic. It no longer blocks all damage, only a large portion of it. And its now stamina based instead of damage based. The current block can be destroyed by a large number of small hits. The new block is a function of time. So weather you are getting hit by small hits or large hits, your block will deplete at a measured rate. This can significantly increase how much you can block for. But it also means you cant really proactively put up your shield and wait for anything to hit you, as your stamina meter will start to deplete the moment you put your guard up.

The other major change is to the mark mechanic. Mark used to lower enemy defenses by 9%. Now it will allow all allies to gain combat advantage and still lower enemy defenses. However, it will be by 9% for everyone else and 20% for the GF. The devs have decided this mechanic is how they intend to increase GF damage without changing too much of the other powers.
  • lisaxxiilisaxxii Member Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014

*still be

here ya go
    With mod 4 "buffs" GF will still be useless in PvP.
    Enemy Team
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    GF is a lot of fun in PVP. Likely not the best for 1v1 as usually others will show up before you get the kill. But great for stalling and harrassing the opposing force. Last time I took mine out was yesterday for a GG. Held down 7 Delz on a point for almost a minute. That does not generate kills but it did hold the node gaining points and did mean that 1/3 of the enemy were busy AKA not fighting the other 19 players on my team. Basically I'll fight enywhere I am outnumbered. It does not get you much on leaderboard but it does win matches.