test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion Question....Swashbuckler, Wild Hunt Rider, Galeb Duhr...pick 2 of 3....

susp3ktsusp3kt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
For PVE, as a CW using greater vorpal....which will produce a more steady stream of dps?

With all at purple:

Swashbuckler- On suffering a critical hit, +500 critical strike chance for 5 seconds

Wild Hunt Rider- On encounter use, 5% chance to increase damage by 10% for 5 seconds

Galeb Duhr- Deal up to 10% more damage based on the damage you have taken.

Which 2 would you suggest? And why?

I am trying to decide whether to upgrade the Swashbuckler and/or Rider to purple.

Thanks & Cheers!
Post edited by susp3kt on

Comments

• aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wild Hunt Rider would be my pick. Mine procs like crazy and I haven't upgraded it. If you can afford to make your Swashbuckler purple, you should have high crit already. As was said, you wan to keep your health high.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1st choice is wild hunt rider. 2nd is difficult to say. A friend of mine played his CW with Galeb Dur. If you play very agressive, it can be a dps burst, but it will be a ride on the edge, eat enough dmg to boost dps without dying.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • susp3ktsusp3kt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the replies.

Mage, thanks, but I don't really agree....I am usually right in the middle of the fight and take pretty high damage regularly, which is replenished quickly with life steal. For example, in CN....you're always getting hammered and then healed back to full in a rotation. Especially with the changes to CW in M4, we're going to need to be in the middle of it all even more.

Auldron, Thanks and I agree. It really comes down to the other two for my last spot.

So my thought process with the Galeb and Swashbuckler is, when I get hit hard or take damage I would have a chance to give out higher burst damage for a period of time.

My other 2 companions are the Wil-o and Cantankerous Mage for extra control bonus.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Rider and Swashbuckler.

Though the Galeb Duhr is excellent for squishies to have as a summoned pet during more difficult instances, its Active Bonus is really misleading as based on a clarification by Devs:

"Deal up to 10% more damage based on the damage you have taken"

The way this works is the more damage you've taken the more damage you dish, but it's actually based on your *remaining* hit points. If you have 100% HP, your bonus is 0%. If you have 50% HP, your bonus is 5%. If you have 0HP (Yes: actually *DEAD*) Then your bonus is a full 10% more damage. And yes: the Dev actually said "0HP, meaning DEAD to get full 10% Bonus" - I paraphrase, but he made it pretty clear.

I looked for that old thread, but it was just too long ago. I'll update this comment if I find that quote. It was in reply to a comment in patch notes I think, but not sure.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I get knocked down pretty far, but it only takes 1 good hit to fill up. The time I spend with very low HP is short. I don't think I'd take good advantage of it. Personally, I'm a renegade, so I'd rather have a purple Blink Dog, Renegade Evoker or something.

With diminishing returns, I'm not sure how much help another 500 crit will be. With mod 4, you may not be using Eye of the Storm,, and will have to stack high crit anyway.