test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes can be good - and very bad. Whats wrong with this game!

osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
First of all: I want to thank the devs and the designers for their amazing work. The overall game, and especially the little details from D&D lore are great.
I also want to say - before I come to my point - that I have close friends in the gaming industry and know how stressful development can be. Its far more complex than most players can imagine.

But here is the issue that really bugs me with this game and is direclty tied to the development process:

!The changes of classes, items, feats and so on ARE WAY TO DRASTIC!!
These drastic changes dont attract more new players while they chase off many old players.
Dont get me wrong. Changes and adjustments are good. Balancing the gameplay isnt a bad thing and I have never and will never whine about nerfs to my classes. Because I play them all.
Its not about nerfs. Its not about fixes.
Its about changes that go way over the top.

Here are some illustrating examples (ofc only a few, not all) of very bad changes from the past:

- stalwart bulwart set-nerf. For a T1 set, it was too powerful. No question it needed some change. But the change was so immense that it rendered the set to utter garbarge. No one, really NO ONE is using it anymore. Pls remember, this change happened, when u couldnt unslot enchantments for gold. Players lost millions of ad and hundrets of hours of playing time. Many GFs even quit not because of some little fix or nerf but because their efforts were annihilated. Completly. Very very bad decision for a change.

- tenebrous. They were very strong, even op. No doubt. To be competive in pvp, u needed them (or maybe darks r10s). Players spent millions of AD for them. Then they were nerfed to utter garbarge. No one is using them anymore.

- CW shield nerf followed by entangl force AP gain nerf. Remember those days when a CW could single handed controll all adds? No doubt, the AP gain from shield needed a nerf. The entangl force was nerfed, too. After that nerf, the only effecient option for cws was to just stack dps dps dps. Not only that, the AP gain from entangl force (TAB) was broken, NO AP GAIN at all. The nerf made entangl force to utter garbage in pve.

- deep gash era and the rise of pve gwfs. Deep gash was just crazy powerful. But even with that feat gwfs had a hard time to beat cws dps wise. But finally gwf became valuable for dungeons. At the same time, gwfs became gods in pvp. Because of IV path, the mobility, the tankiness, the crazy dmg. A good step was introducing tenacity. Toned the survability down. Many expierenced players suggested just to move deep gash deeper into destroyer tree. Would have solved all problems: destroyers would be cool dps monsters in pve. Sentinels would be super tough fighters but only medium dmg output. But no. You reworked all essential feats… and broke the whole class to be pvp gods again. But now as destroyers. Rightfully players went like "wtf omg". Not to mention of all the broken feats and powers.

- emblem nerf. Again, ofc it was crazy op. But the nerf rendered it to garbage. Again players had to invest millions of AD to be competive in pvp because u didnt touched emblem for months and then: BAM. All the work, all the millions down the toilett. No one uses it anymore (only the players who dont want the nerf to be true…)

- the upcoming nerf of the cockatrice. No question, the active bonus is just stupid op in open world pvp. The nerf will come. Will the cockatrice bonus then be garbage and players wasted millions, again?

- the upcoming changes in mod4. I speak now in general. Instead of just tweaking some feats and powers, and toning down some others in moderate ways for better balance in pvp and pve, you just "invent" whole new classes, shattering old ones. Nearly every feat and every power from cw, gwf, hr and gf is reworked.
Even a whole HR feat tree is deleted.
Just a personal example: my girlfriend built a nature buff HR, with rp back ground, specific enchantmets and gameplay. She invested alot of work, ad and creative thinking in her character. And you delete the whole path of hers.

The very worst part of all of these changes is the following: you dont change things in a considered timeframe. You wait even month and let broken feats, items and mechanics sink into the gameplay. But THEN, after months u change it. But not moderate but with a shattering hammer of changes.
Spend millions on emblem? BAM - worthless
Spend millions on a gear set? BAM - worthless
Spend millions on respecs and testing for an optimal build? BAM - worthless.

Now put also all the other bugs and inconveniences into consideration (bugged open world pvp for weeks; bugged achievments for weeks; bugged feats and powers for months; still leaver penalty despite bugged and not working matchmaking).

Dont get me wrong. I like this game very much. But you, the DEVs, have to begin to understand the frustration u bring to players with such dramatic changes.
Please dont rework everything when you could bring balance with little and minor changes to the game.
Thanks for reading my post :)
Post edited by osterdrache on

Comments

• Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    totally agree - frustration and anger - are the words, besides the time and money invested to see the result in this "nerf wars" - no STABILITY! Unless you are a "savior caturday exploiter" ai is not even there for these fads that possesses already in millions of AD in thousands of scattered accounts for the vast population of over 2mi from NWO. As I am not exploiter, booter, or P2W full rank 10, for me this "nerf wars" is a big joke right!
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    what is wrong to this game (ignoring pvp for now)

the problem of nw outside the seasons of "let the class x strong to sell vorpal":

dungeons. "The problem between classes is designe the dungeons?" no, nothing like that.

its the nw birthday, and we have the same basic dungeons, low / inflexible gear score requirement, and absolutely nothing special to do, just the same and old "hack and slash" (I like).

then the basic situation is: the requirement of the dungeon - hack and slash - is 8k, I have twice or more the requirement. I know every part of the game with the palm of the hand. It is not lawful for all classes feel the chuck norris here? That was not to invest my time or money?

as the real work is being disregarded, we see all the talk of "no, the question is whether the roles of each class", always with adjustments, or destroy the class, or to be compensated, turn them into gods.

to complete, for diferent reasons and contexts,not lacking ****** players that give arterial runoff to any kind of nerfs as if it were the real demand of the game.

ok, all classes are needed now (hahahaha). and now? let's kill the same karrudax after passing the same "challenges"?

I really hope this new module surprise me. for now, my "tarrasque" are the balances between classes, and my "death traps" are on this forum. I do not feel the slightest urge to rethink my gear for this type of challenge.
  • Options
    lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Moral of the story, only minor adjustments were required. I said this months ago, and they still didn't get it. Honestly, I thought the CW was just fine. Only minor adjustments were needed, for example reducing the casting times on SOME encounters. Basically they should only change things in SMALL doses.

Often times I see posts that ask if Devs play their own game. I too am starting to wonder that.
  • Options
    trohkarrtrohkarr Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2014
    I really couldn't agree more with the OP!

In my humble opinion, extreme game breakers like emblem or cockatrice now, should be emergency fixed asap. But letting this things going on for months, ofc everybody buys them to cope up.

1.) From a game design standpoint, this method of operating is really bad. You can't toy with your customers in ways like that. I work in a sevice and attendance company and the first things we learned is that the customer is King no matter what.

2.) From a lucrativ point of view maybe not so. The more people that "needs" to buy this OP game breaking items to stay competitive, the more AD and eventually ZEN will be spent, which generates a bigger revenue in the end.

I'm totaly aware that the dev team will not working for free just to please our needs for entertainment and gaming but in the end, if you would solve this game breaking stuff as soon as possible and do minor and much needed changes to classes etc. instead of bringing out the big hammer for new mods, your customers would be more satisfied and the base could grow with each new add-on.

This is not a rant, just an objective observation!

I really love the core mechanics in NW, especially the combat system (the best combat i have ever enjoyed in a MMORPG!!) and i am very curious in what direction the NW dev team will lead us in the future.

See ya on the battlefield!
  • Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A lot of the current and past issues come from lack of balance in the game. Because there is no balance, not set rules from the devs to keep the balance (after all, can't keep something if you don't have it), so when they release new stuff, they don't know if it'll be OP or not. They simply don't.

I've said this numerous times on the forum. The number one thing this game lacks is a sense of direction. Are we heading towards hack-n-slash no-tank-no-healer-needed kind of game, or are we heading towards a more traditional styled DnD game where a dungeon crawl requires a balanced and rainbow party? We don't know. I suspect the devs don't know either. And therein lies the problem. They are making all these changes without a clear direction in mind, and doing so will only make the matters worse.
  • Options
    devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The wrong thing is the developers agenda, they don't have enough time to fix the game quickly, then players get used to imbalances.
    At some point, players start to believe that something is natural when it's obvious flawed
  • Options
    berzergeraberzergera Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Pretty messed up, i agree.

For every module, and even inbetween the modues, there are such big changes that you basically have to redo everything you worked for. Switch enchants, respecc, use the class differently or reroll to another class, do the whole boons thing again etc etc...

Big changes like this are not welcome in a MMO, because its really stupid. Its ok with tweaks and minor changes to balance things out, but big changes drives players away, and i basically have no more friends playing this game
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I totally agree with the OP.

Now I spent millions of AD on my artifacts and boom out of a sudden my CW will be nerfed to garbage towards a no-dps class? -.-
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    devaneio wrote: »
    The wrong thing is the developers agenda, they don't have enough time to fix the game quickly, then players get used to imbalances.
    At some point, players start to believe that something is natural when it's obvious flawed

Well said, I too think bugged abilities, and overpowered feats etc are left unchanged for far to long and ultimately causes people to feel thats the way it should be! Then it changes to where its supposed to be and they get all upset.

As far as the OP I agree in some respects, I think people latch onto things that make them more powerful sometimes more then intended, IE: Cockatrice is OP! Anyone that buys one to use it to own people in OPVP is doing so knowing that its OP, and better expect it to be changed.

If gear is bugged and you know its bugged but decided to invest all your money into said gear, don't cry when its fixed! Instead of trying to be OP with some exploit, or bugged XYZ all the time play your class better.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    berzergeraberzergera Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If gear is bugged and you know its bugged but decided to invest all your money into said gear, don't cry when its fixed! Instead of trying to be OP with some exploit, or bugged XYZ all the time play your class better.

Its kinda hard not to invest in gear when its 2/3 months between each "fix". And each "fix" brings another imbalance, so its impossible to stay up to scratch with this game unless you invest money.

I said it a long time ago, the owners of this game are only in it for a short run, to get as much money from their players as possible in the shortest amount of time. And its pretty much proven with how things have been going the last year.

>People install the game
    >spend money
    >see how it is and what the changes are doing
    >uninstall
    >new players arrive
    >circle of life

Eventually, less and less people will join, population will be too low, and there will be no more people playing neverwinter besides those totally addicted and in love with their characters (which i dont blame them since they spent so much time on one thing its hard to leave it behind)

But this was pretty much IT for me
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well said, I too think bugged abilities, and overpowered feats etc are left unchanged for far to long and ultimately causes people to feel thats the way it should be! Then it changes to where its supposed to be and they get all upset.

As far as the OP I agree in some respects, I think people latch onto things that make them more powerful sometimes more then intended, IE: Cockatrice is OP! Anyone that buys one to use it to own people in OPVP is doing so knowing that its OP, and better expect it to be changed.

The thing is that OP things aren't just brought into line as they should be, they're utterly destroyed as a viable option. Almost every time something goes from the BiS option to utter garbage and a waste of space instead of being, a adequate but not optimal unless built around it choice.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's why I try to not buy the clearly OP flavor of the month, like now the cockatrice, we all know it'll eventually be nerfed down, heavily.
    I think people who get those things should already know by now that it only means they'll own in the game for a few weeks/months. if for them it's okay to spend that money for that time, then I guess it's okay, to me it's not worth it.
    Besides I prefer to do things my own way, after all I'm a whisperknife PVE TR, I already know I'm never gonna top the chars, and I don't care, because to me it's more about fun than any other thing.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    ignikadrakeignikadrake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I completely agreed with the original poster's post.
    Kallen|TR
    EoA
  • Options
    meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    berzergera wrote: »
    Eventually, less and less people will join, population will be too low, and there will be no more people playing neverwinter besides those totally addicted and in love with their characters

I am one of those in love with my character. I love the CW class and the build I worked out in over a year. After every module, something was reworked and I had to test it again, and again, and again until the next module, where the whole cycle of drastic changes started over again.

My build is very dynamic and allows ~20 types of rotations in all kinds of different situations, depending on the class(es) I'm facing. When I play my CW, I don't look at the cooldowns or the keyboard. I know exactly in which situation which combination of skills I can pull off. Even though the whole build I've been working on for over a year will be shattered and nerfed to uselessness in Mod 4, it would not be as bad as the activation time changes. I don't feel like playing a CW anymore. On the test shard, it's like I ended up in another game. I like to help, run ACT, test builds for many hours and report to the devs. I've been doing that for the last 3 modules. But after 30 minutes of testing, I had to close the game. I cannot play this.

It's like when you create a PvP TR for the first time and try Flurry. You ask yourself: why the hell can't I jump between the attacks? And only later you realize that it's about timing and personal skills, practice. This is how I feel when I log on the test shard. The OP PvE CWs could've been fixed easily without touching the PvP builds. Instead, a whole new (unbalanced) game is created and people's work and, for the first time in NW history, THEIR PERSONAL SKILLS (due to the activation time changes) are flushed down the toilet.

I stayed so long in this game, because I really liked my class, character and its combat system. Question is, how many changes does it take to make people feel like the class/character after the update isn't the character they're playing anymore. I have a very big tolerance for changes.
    Back in the day after the end of open beta, I was in a huge guild with 60+ players online all the time. I am not sure if this violates Rule 3.02; if it does, please remove this sentence: I've seen over 200 people, who all bought Zen regularly, quit the game for this one reason: too drastic and absurd changes that completely shattered their hard work and real money put into the game. How can it be that you invest 500 $ into a game, and one week later you can't sell that stuff for even 100k AD, because it got nerfed to hell? And the reason wasn't bad content, not enough PvP maps, Foundry bugs, unbalanced classes... it is the unnecessary, resource-wrecking change that drives dedicated players away.

There are always ways to balance things out without those drastic changes. Neverwinter has an amazing player community that is willing to help. Let them help you. Check out the advice of dedicated players. They know what they are doing, because they actually created those OP builds. And they know what the "OP" depends on and how to make it impossible to run those builds as effectively as they do without touching the other, non-op builds.

Sure, there are games where the devs are the best at their game. But in NW this is not the case. Google for "EoA vs. Devs". It's a PvP match that ended 1000:2. Experienced, old players can and would like to help you make this game enjoyable for everyone. Most old players play all 6 classes. Please, communicate with them to have a better view of which feats or powers cause which "OP results".
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But for players like me, I love my CW and i did like my GWF. Until they just became so dominate in pve, GWF was like playing with cheats on.

These new nerfs/changes/feat trees are a breath of fresh air. maybe because i been playing them so long? The new changes will not make me like my gwf/cw any less, because i know they will play fine. even with these current nerfs.

GF on the other hand, that broken guard they have going on currently will break the class to unplayability.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    realramaladnirealramaladni Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2014
    The OP and Meldanen couldn't be more right. Experienced players know what they're talking about, because in a game where there isn't that much content, we spend a lot of time looking at our characters, builds, every single element of the game, to be better, either in PvE or PvP. If there is an enchantment or artifact I absolutely must have (And it was not improbable to have teams with over 6 emblems in Module 2, especially post-tenacity), I have no choice but to get it if I want to be competitive, because if the community was listened to, these problems wouldn't remain or they wouldn't even go live.

Instead, the 8M AD that I spent on an Emblem of seldarine went completely to waste, as it was nerfed to be complete utter unusable garbage. It was AD that I had not bought, but that I had earnestly farmed like many others did, and 8M AD doesn't come and ago. At the time, I sold most of my rank 9s and downgraded to 7-8.

The same happens with the leaderboards and while it is a flawed system (wins making you go down in ranking), we are ignored and actually statements are made against it. When we play this game every single day for hours and hours and we know that we're not wrong.

The dominance of GWF (incredible amounts of damage, bugged feats for over a month), HR (unkillable with a really strong set, broken Careful Attack/Hunter's Teamwork at-will, daily that heals to full HP with a 25 second cooldown) and permastealth TR (sadly being forced in this role due to no other viable options) are completely unfun and kill all the competitivity and fairness in PvP. It is also unfun for those playing the classes, who refuse to play something so broken or so boring.

One class that does absurd damage, even killing the tankiest of players in one rotation. Another that is completely unkillable with the amazing amount of self-heals and at-will procs. And another that completely nullifies one player out of the match, because they can't be killed but neither can they kill anyone. Meanwhile, the other half of the classes are left in the shadows. However, I can't say that's half the game because 85% of the PvP community is compromised of the three classes above.

Here we are hoping the cycle doesn't repeat. The sad part is that a few changes here and there were enough. But I still have faith that it won't be messed up.

Work closer with the community, we can really do some good. Please, help us help you. Let us help you. We also want a better game, we need to work together to build that...
    Hot Pants

#1 Enemy Team PvP Devoted Cleric

Best rapper 2014
    Alpha female
  • Options
    thynael21thynael21 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    At the first sight of all those changes for Module 4 (currently on preview) i felt reliefed. I'm playing GF since i started the game and it looked like "my class" could finally get back to a competetive class for both pvp and pve. As soon as i read the original poster's post i started remembering and realizing what all those nerfs and buffs once did to the GF and TR-class. I needed to adjust to all it's changes - which took ALOT of time. And i realized i did that pretty fine. I am used to the guard-meter and it's mechanic. I know i get several difficulties fighting "pvp"-classes like a hr, tr and gwf. I also know that i can't use a pvp-specced char (efficently) in pve and vice versa. But i also got used to it.
    In the old days i remember it being possible to have 1! char for both pvp and pve. PPl could use hybrid builds which were competetive in both. But the more nerfs and nerfs appeared the bigger the differene between pvp and pve scaled. In the end even classes seperated themself for pvp or pve. I always asked myself why the game didn't seperate pvp and pve somehow. De/Increasing Base-DPS of specific classes for either pvp or pve - slowly - to adjust it to a lvl for all classes. I thought that the game-mechanic/scripts etc would be too complex to do so. Instead of that changes always had influence on both pvp and pve. Yesterday i've been reading that Takedown (GWF-Encounter) will daze a target in pvp and still knock down in pve. If those changes are possible - wouldn't it be easier to adjust the base-dmg of classes "causing problems" in pve and pvp for pve and pvp?

Exspecially those massive changes caused massive changes, differences and needed rebalancing in gameplay again. I'd like to see changes happen faster - not harder. I.E. The Emblem of Seldarin had been 1 of those OP-Problems. It stayed in for more than a month until it became garbage suddenly. I think it would have been easier to reduce the amount of healing by 10% as soon as ppl realized it's OP. If it would have been still OP reduce it's healing in the next week by another 10% and so on... until it reaches a lvl "it's not op anymore - but still viable".

Thx to the original poster and others above for reminding me that those massive changes are not the way to go...

Something else that i once had in mind. Many PVE and PVP -Partys sustain of 2-3 classes of the same type. A way that would help open up for "rainbow"partys again would be to decrease the overall dmg or ap-gain exponential if more than 1 class exists in a party. If 2 CW's are in a party their DMG and AP-Gain are reduced by 15% due to "magical fluctuations" (45% if 3 CW's are aboard). If 2 TR's are in a party their stealthmeter is decreased by 50% because of "Missing Communication". GF's get their Aggro-gain and Shieldmeter reduced - causing mobs to more likly attack non-GF-Partymembers "Threatless Threat". GWF's deal less dps because they need to watch out not hitting each other "Careful Attacks"... well something like that
    Ogr'tosh Ku'tar - 15k PVE-Tactician GF (IV)
    Valmacha Gelkrâch - 14k PVE-Renegade CW (MoF)
    Hrogard Hammerfall - 16k PVE-Destroyer GWF (IV)
    Yrianda Willowborn - 15k PVP-Conquerer GF (IV)
    Lunging-Strike-Jill - Becoming PVP-Protector GF (SM)
    Rit'lek Ku'tar - PVE-Scoundrel TR (WK) - disabled/Invoker
    Ilrith Wildfire - HR - disabled/Invoker
    Aron Hammerfell - PVE-Protector GF - disabled/Invoker
    Galwyn Fenrirdottír - DC - disabled/Invoker
  • Options
    proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Hard to disagree to what people expressed above. However... from what I have seen in the past Preview testing sessions, I can say that these changes are pretty much here to stay - even if their parameters will change due to the raging feedback.

I expect to see:

- a tunedown of CW freeze CC, HR selfhealing
    - a slight tuneup for GWF unstoppable
    - remake of GF guard

But not much else. I think this is the content we will have to deal with, in a take it or leave it manner.

To me, these changes every few months have become boring and tiring. All the time new sets of bugs and OP stuff is introduced. Fix/Nerf GWF? Nah, we make them more powerful.... lol. Same with HRs. OK then... if such HUGE blunders are entirely possible and here to stay for months...

Why bother?

Honorable mention for the broken leaderboard as well, with the classic "You win, you punished and go down" syndrome. I lost a few weeks ago while I still cared as much as 8 entire pages (mind you, I was in the first 10 pages) from a long series of wins.

So when your efforts, time and money, are destroyed like this, you just slowly start becoming insensitive.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    devaneio wrote: »

Thats not true. They started making changes within 3 days of getting that feedback. If they can make changes that quick to something flawed (which there is still a bunch more flawed with these changes) then thats no excuse.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hard to disagree to what people expressed above. However... from what I have seen in the past Preview testing sessions, I can say that these changes are pretty much here to stay - even if their parameters will change due to the raging feedback.

I expect to see:

- a tunedown of CW freeze CC, HR selfhealing
    - a slight tuneup for GWF unstoppable
    - remake of GF guard

But not much else. I think this is the content we will have to deal with, in a take it or leave it manner.

To me, these changes every few months have become boring and tiring. All the time new sets of bugs and OP stuff is introduced. Fix/Nerf GWF? Nah, we make them more powerful.... lol. Same with HRs. OK then... if such HUGE blunders are entirely possible and here to stay for months...

Why bother?

Honorable mention for the broken leaderboard as well, with the classic "You win, you punished and go down" syndrome. I lost a few weeks ago while I still cared as much as 8 entire pages (mind you, I was in the first 10 pages) from a long series of wins.

So when your efforts, time and money, are destroyed like this, you just slowly start becoming insensitive.

yeah I've learned from 3 modules that when they make changes. they are going to go through pretty much regardless. The only thing we're given is a slight consolation of a few of them not going through.

Almost every drastic change they do, its far over board. Its one thing to nerf a single skill. But they nerf skills (with the extent of the nerf being ALOT), but nerf it two and three times? Rework an entire core mechanical system of a class. Wipe out entire feat trees of a class? Smash the viablility of something to neglibility?

The scary part is, they do this ALL the TIME. Every single time they made drastic class changes. That just leads to show they dont really have any idea of how these classes are being played themselves. Remember the old Fox Shift when a dev claimed it gave too much burst damage while making the HR immune to damage and CC? They didnt even realize it did not do that at all when they made that change, the whole time a HR could be interrupted at the very start or middle of fox shift and still be damaged and went and added that in after the fact when they changed it.

This makes players who are skilled and knowledgable not just about their class but the game even more frustrated when they make these sweeping changes and not even know the fundamentals of their own classes and how its played and affects the game themselves.
    I love this game so much and seeing this time after time, every single time they make any sort of change to a class, the initial planned changes wreck the whole **** class. EVERY TIME, if anyone does not beleive me, if the posts are still around, I implore you to go back to every proposed preview patch they had for classes and see the initial changes they were going to have. If any player that played a class extensively, can just see those changes they almost made had a look at them, immediately know how horrible the class and the whole game dynamic would have been. Even worse is when they ask for feedback about these changes, just looking at the changes alot of know exactly how this affects the class, and we test it, and the tests confirm exactly what we say, they listen to a small fraction of it and push out the rest anyway.

After the first module or two. I give the benefit of the doubt. But we're on mod 4 and these changes just continue to reflect they have no idea how these classes are played, thier viablility, and the game dynamics. they honestly could not be playing thier own game, Im seriously considering this is the case, if they are constantly pushing these changes like this. Thier explanations make sense in a logical stand point. IF YOU ARENT PLAYING THE CLASS. Playing the class you can see the fundamental flaw in alot of thier changes they've been trying to make.

Players have been putting forth VALUABLE feedback on the classes and what they need and what needs balancing for a looong time. The devs finally start doing something about it and GO the opposite direction, complete opposite. Instead we see changes from players that whine about a class or abilities that are OP. When most of the time that isnt even the case, perma stealths? Those can be countered, instead they are taking away measure to counter those. GWF's thier abilities to chain prone people was not the issue, the root of the issue of why this even happens is because PRONES are the only form of CC that does not obey CCresist/tenacity like the others. THATS what should have been fixed. There was nothing needed for CW (other than fixing bugged spells and having them obey armor pen) besides having a slight tone down in damage for some skills. GF's needed buffing in shield and damage. TR's whisperknife path needs a bit of buffing and thier paragon encounter needs.. needs something its just bad right now and buggy.

I'm starting to go off on a tangent right now. But the base of the matter is. I'm losing major faith after a long analysis of the dev's attempts, plans and actions on the classes and gameplay in this game. At every change they make, they are narrowing down more and more playstyles, until every class will start playing the same, and using the same abilities. I absolutely do not like using cookie cutter classes and builds, but at this rate, not using them wont even be an option to even do decently well for anything. Even the gear they continue to release continues to reflect this.
  • Options
    meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Conspiracy theory warning :cool::

Have you ever considered the devs might be doing that on purpose? To assure they will have work to do (and get paid)? Mess the classes up on purpose, so they have stuff to "fix". Since the "fixes" aren't really fixes, they're adjustments.
    If they talked to the oldest players and to the people who actually created the OP builds, they could've fixed all the imbalances and bugs in a day. Sure, people would start buying more Zen, players that quit would return to NW, but if it happens, they will have less work to do. And based on the quite monotone content, you can see that the producer isn't interested in extending the game. So, if the devs fixed everything in a day, and let's be honest, every software developer playing this game knows how easily this can be done here, I myself have a software development company, the devs would not have any work left.

Maybe the problem is that the project manager doesn't get a share in profits; just a fixed salary. Maybe even hourly wages.

No software developer is able to develop a computer game, but doesn't see such simple things. I'm pretty sure there's more behind it.
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    meldan3n wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory warning :cool::

Have you ever considered the devs might be doing that on purpose? To assure they will have work to do (and get paid)? Mess the classes up on purpose, so they have stuff to "fix". Since the "fixes" aren't really fixes, they're adjustments.
    If they talked to the oldest players and to the people who actually created the OP builds, they could've fixed all the imbalances and bugs in a day. Sure, people would start buying more Zen, players that quit would return to NW, but if it happens, they will have less work to do. And based on the quite monotone content, you can see that the producer isn't interested in extending the game. So, if the devs fixed everything in a day, and let's be honest, every software developer playing this game knows how easily this can be done here, I myself have a software development company, the devs would not have any work left.

Maybe the problem is that the project manager doesn't get a share in profits; just a fixed salary. Maybe even hourly wages.

No software developer is able to develop a computer game, but doesn't see such simple things. I'm pretty sure there's more behind it.

or kgb.

:.
  • Options
    baldfury8baldfury8 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Re: OP,

Nail. On. The. Head.

My personal experience is as follows:

My first char was a TR, chose it because it looked cool to play. Later on, TRs were nerfed pretty badly, forcing perma as really the only viable way to go. I couldn't do that super effectively as I chose the wrong starting attributes. And since there is no changing those...

Rolled a CW next. That's been on again, off again, pretty fun. Finally have it near 15k GS, having great fun with it as a main, finally feel like it's coming into it's own with the end game dungeons, until....

After the TR and during my first off session with the CW I rolled a healing focus DC. The DC was ok, but doing dailies just became too painful. Also, PvP... uh, not so fun. On the shelf it went.

Next up was a defensive/regen GF to try my hand at a dedicated PvP toon. That was built around the Grand Regent set and worked ok, until they went and changed PvP with tenacity.... Not super interested in re-gearing, so on the shelf it went.

Somewhere along the line I rolled an HR and a WK TR. The HR currently sits with a 12k+ GS, but meh, isn't that fun for me. The WK, well, it just isn't a good path.

Ok, I hear GWFs are good in PvP, let's try that. Currently, I run the CW for PvE and GWF for PvP. Looks like they are both getting nerfed, but worst of all the CW appears to be changing into a different class altogether.

Now, I would have been happy to stick with my original TR the whole time as my main, I had a great time with it pre-nerfs. Now, dungeons are pointless and I don't have the right starting stats to really enjoy PvP with it.

Also, I'm wondering if there's a class I can pick going forward to work on now. Nope, seems like every class has a cloud of change over it, either for mod 4 or in the future. Why do I want to build a toon only to have my efforts wiped out?

So yeah, chalk up another VERY frustrated player. Messing with my CW, which I've always been able to go back to and have fun with, might just be the last straw for me. We'll see I guess.
  • Options
    obsydian666obsydian666 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    CW is nerfed from the tip of his shoe To the tip of helmet and Destro stills hit 20k from IBS in pvp like in module 2,5. Yesterday in pvp, GWF hits my CW- frontline 7k threateing rush 5k and IBS 20k, later threateing rush 4,5k and Savage Advance first hit 6k second hit 21k. He was with... i dont know english name....p. terror enchant? Is that normal? GG Cryptic.
  • Options
    osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So some weeks later some changes were altered but overall it still stands: we will see huge changes to four classes and this will affect the other classes as well.

The main question stands still, too: what is the reason behind such drastic changes? As it seems nearly no player is happy about them.
    They also will bring so many new issues and bugs for sure.
    I just dont get it!!?!?
    Have u, the devs, nothing better to do as to rework over 50% of class gameplay?? Is the game we played over a year so broken??
    Players are screaming for new pvp maps, more challenging content, more actually!! useful armor sets.
    What about a new dungeon every two weeks? U even have an endless source of content via foundry that could be used.

I state again: to balance the content, even with indroducing the new warlock class, u have to do just minor tweaks and adjustments.

- buff GF reasonable like the hp increase. Dont change the core mechanic of them.
    - fix gwfs skills like roar; maybe a little dmg nerf for their encounters. Put TR with charges. Thats ALL! Dont nerf unstoppable and the cc of their power and then buff their sprint. That makes NO SENSE!
    - fix HR armor set, dont nerf it into oblivion! Dot put an ICD on it, because then, u dont need such a feat as wild medicine. Btw ur changing EVERYTHING about HRs… wtf? Balance them, dont obliterate the whole class either to be super OP or super nerfed.
    - reduce CWs pve dmg for about 50-70%, but leave the dmg in pvp the same. Its like 10 lines of programming and solves so many things at once.
    - instead of giving DCs CONSTANTLY the weirdest stat allocations on their armor and weapon sets, give them either cc resist or more movement. With the mounting nerf more movement speed is crucial for DCs in pvp and would let them rotate faster. But instead they get lifesteal and armpen… :rolleyes:
    - let TRs as they are right now. Or just tweak their stealth A LITTLE down and give them mor burst with their non-stealth supporting encounters.

Just these minor changes which came to my mind while sitting in a train would solve nearly all issues in pvp and many in pve also.

Pls, maybe a dev can answer to these suggestions. Why do u generate so much work for u by changing things to unknown parameters when u could easily adjust things in a minor way but with great impact for balance?

Best regards! A very confused but still paying customer!