test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

IWD PVE Tier 5 Boons

mateodiscusmateodiscus Member Posts: 148 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
I thought I would start this up for people to discuss the tier 5 boons for the Ice Wind Dale PVE campaign.

I took the avalanche boon today and have done some minor testing. I figured it would be good on my GWF as I tend to take a beating. No dung runs yet. I am pretty disappointed in it. I went to a lower level area so I could let trash beat on me for a while.

I gathered up about 8, no elites because I wanted the attacks to be fairly fast, and I let them beat on me. First of all, its a chance when getting hit to get one stack of avalanche. When you get a stack, a 20 second cooldown starts. Every time a stack is added it refreshes the cooldown until 20 stacks and them bam...damage. Well with 8 mobs hitting me for quite a while, the best I could manage was 15 stacks. I would start to slowly gain stacks, I would hit 10 or 11, and then nothing for 20 sec when then the whole lot would just drop.

Its not that its just a chance to proc and it can take some time, its the proc rate is really streaky. I guess during certain times in dung when you are getting hit by an insane amount you could get it to proc, but I wouldn't count on it happening much.

So far I am not liking these tier 5 boons, at all.
Post edited by mateodiscus on

Comments

• Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I thouhgt that every time you were attacked you won a stack of avalanche, meh, kinda disappointed, but anyway, I think it's good for a GF that use Knight's Valor often.
  • Options
    gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    I thouhgt that every time you were attacked you won a stack of avalanche, meh, kinda disappointed, but anyway, I think it's good for a GF that use Knight's Valor often.
    Us GF's that use Valor will still take something else,its not good for us if its a 20 second cool down between stacks,probably just take the potion one.
  • Options
    gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    gman118 wrote: »
    Us GF's that use Valor will still take something else,its not good for us if its a 20 second cool down between stacks,probably just take the potion one.
    Nvm i read the boon wrong,woops :P, i thought there was a cooldown between stacks,(re-read paragraph).
    So i guess us Gf's will be using it.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's like Cold Shoulder(?) t4 boon, that has very low chance to reduce the damage of an attack by 200 (seriously), and it has like 1 min CD.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    It's like Cold Shoulder(?) t4 boon, that has very low chance to reduce the damage of an attack by 200 (seriously), and it has like 1 min CD.

What?!!!, 200 each min???... Seriously, how can they make boons like this!!!...
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Why the hell do they never mention the ICDs in tooltips... it looked fairly useful on a GF, until I stumbled upon this. We always have to rely on someone doing the testing before doing anything :(
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I liked the +dmg when healed boon. Depending on ICD and the question if selfheal counts as heal, it coud be great. If noone posts about it, I will test it on preview and report back myself.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014

WRONG!
    cold shoulder last 10 sec on affected target so every of hes attack is reduced by 200 for 10 sec and the ICD is 30 sec

im more worried about 5th boons they all seem to be useless thou.
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    WRONG!
    cold shoulder last 10 sec on affected target so every of hes attack is reduced by 200 for 10 sec and the ICD is 30 sec

Yeah you're right, Rousing Warmth does seem to proc on any healing, but it has a minute or longer internal cooldown so it's also garbage. The only useful one seems to be the potion one since everybody chugs pots anyway, even in PVP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    WRONG!

Yeap, tested it more careful. The proc chance is about 5-10%, it debuffs the target on ~8 sec reducing all their attacks by 200 for the duration. I don't think there's ICD at all, just very low proc rate.

UPD. I let 5 mobs in Blacklake hit me for 5 minutes and this boon proc'd only twice.
  • Options
    psychaos999psychaos999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    WRONG!

I didn't notice that about cold shoulder. But even knowing that, is it worth taking?
  • Options
    cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I didn't notice that about cold shoulder. But even knowing that, is it worth taking?
    i find it usefull against HR/TR 200 dmg less from PoTB/DF/CoS for 10 sec or 200 dmg less from HR Carefull attack or thorn ward for 10 sec in that amount of time it can block quite nice dmg
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When you get a stack, a 20 second cooldown starts. Every time a stack is added it refreshes the cooldown until 20 stacks and them bam...damage. Well with 8 mobs hitting me for quite a while, the best I could manage was 15 stacks.

So, even in the most possibly favourable situation to get the stacks, you never reach 20? Well then, maybe a mod will redirect the thread into the Bug Report section.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Do Avalanche procing something? Plaguefire/Rampage of M./Deep Gash?

BTW:
    CW: Winter's Bounty and its decent

GWF: Winter's Bounty/Avalanche/Rousing Warmth.
    I guess Rousing W. is not working for lifesteal/reg but it can has some use for restoring strike/dc around

DC: ??? As I see neither is good for it!
    Maybe Avalanche if it procs Plaguefire. (?)
  • Options
    crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Rather have a chance at 10% more action points, sound like the *least* horrible one that they came up with lol
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »
    Rather have a chance at 10% more action points, sound like the *least* horrible one that they came up with lol

That was my opinion too.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Rousing Warmth seems to has no ICD, but proc rate is very low, it procced twice within 5 seconds of Healing Word ticking, and then didn't proc for ~3 minutes.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Rousing Warmth seems to has no ICD, but proc rate is very low, it procced twice within 5 seconds of Healing Word ticking, and then didn't proc for ~3 minutes.

internal cooldown can be about 3 minutes then. the new boons and damage from weapons proc twice in few seconds like BOOM BOOM but ACT says one of them is false.
  • Options
    sorcerer78sorcerer78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Did anyone test Winter's Bounty?? Any data on ICD if any...and proc chance?
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Boons suck, gear suck, dungeon sucks. GG.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    sorcerer78sorcerer78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sorcerer78 wrote: »
    Did anyone test Winter's Bounty?? Any data on ICD if any...and proc chance?

OK! I did some testing myself and this is what I have on Winter's Bounty:
    I doubt I was killing 1 mob every second so some margin for error should be taken into account.

hour:min:sec
    20:14:07 proc
    20:14:47 proc - 40 secs later
    20:15:50 proc - 63 secs later
    20:16:47 proc - 57 secs later
    20:17:48 proc - 61 secs later
    20:18:49 proc - 61 secs later
    20:19:48 proc - 59 secs later
    20:20:49 proc - 61 secs later
    20:21:49 proc - 60 secs later
    20:22:52 proc - 63 secs later
    20:23:49 proc - 57 secs later
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Boons suck, gear suck, dungeon sucks. GG.

Looks like a nice signature.
  • Options
    kalyuxakalyuxa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Winter's bounty it's terrific in theory but it seems that there is a timer for it. Like 2 min to take that chance (nobody knows the % because the tooltip).
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I hope the devs learn a lesson from this. No one likes effects that proc by chance, and no one enjoys ridiculously long ICDs that make useful effects completely unreliable. Would be great if they could tweak them to be more reliable but I highly doubt it, seeing as they have a new game coming out. Mod 3's biggest surprises didn't live up to the hype.
  • Options
    gorakasulgorakasul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We have tested Rousing Warmth and Winter's Bounty thus far.

Rousing Warmth:
    The boon does not procc from regeneration or lifesteal. It does, however, procc from Astral Shield and Astral Seal.
    ICD seems to be around 1 minute which makes it utterly useless for basically every class.

Winter's Bounty:
    We did not experience an ICD on this boon, I had it procc multiple times in rapid succession. Chance to procc does not seem too high, however. Over the course of multiple CN 4/4 runs it contributed to ~9-10% of my Action Point Gain which is fairly decent.

For classes that regularly kill stuff (GWF, CW, HR) it seems like Winter's Bounty is the way to go. All alternatives are lackluster or completely useless in comparison.

Since most of the boons are garbage just like the 2p bonus from the BI weapons the whole Icewind Dale ordeal turned out to be a huge disappointment from a PvE standpoint. I hope they step it up for mod 4 and hire someone who actually understands what he's doing.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I actually liked the boon that gives you 10% AP on a kill. At first I thought the chance of procing is miserable but when I went to PvE to test it on adds I noticed that it's chance is quite decent. It felt like 30% or something, at least to me.
  • Options
    fgmfanhafgmfanha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dont think mod3 is that bad... i kinda like the encounters mechanics! And the BI equipment dont seem to be that bad... not as good as i was expecting thought... its almost the same or a bit worst than the late game builds we had before imo.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    gorakasul wrote: »
    We have tested Rousing Warmth and Winter's Bounty thus far.

Rousing Warmth:
    The boon does not procc from regeneration or lifesteal. It does, however, procc from Astral Shield and Astral Seal.
    ICD seems to be around 1 minute which makes it utterly useless for basically every class.

Winter's Bounty:
    We did not experience an ICD on this boon, I had it procc multiple times in rapid succession. Chance to procc does not seem too high, however. Over the course of multiple CN 4/4 runs it contributed to ~9-10% of my Action Point Gain which is fairly decent.

For classes that regularly kill stuff (GWF, CW, HR) it seems like Winter's Bounty is the way to go. All alternatives are lackluster or completely useless in comparison.

Since most of the boons are garbage just like the 2p bonus from the BI weapons the whole Icewind Dale ordeal turned out to be a huge disappointment from a PvE standpoint. I hope they step it up for mod 4 and hire someone who actually understands what he's doing.

Nice work. Anyone tested to see if rousing warmth procs off an HRs pvp set bonus heals..?
    No idea what my toon is now.