test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tanking. Tanks can't use other skills/buttons while holding SHIFT key???

silverleadsilverlead Member Posts: 63
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Tanking. Tanks can't use other skills/buttons while holding SHIFT key???

So anyone know why we have this handicap? Like I can't mark with TAB if I am blocking by holding the SHIFT key. Anyone?
Post edited by silverlead on

Comments

• silverleadsilverlead Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2014
    Also while blocking it wont let me face quickly an other directions. Most times I have to let go of the block.shift key to turn around or rotate to face an enemy so rogues can often easily get behind me and 2-shot me for big damage. Anyone have a fix for this?
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The fastest way to turn around is, to push and hold down the backwards (s) key and rotate the camera by moving the mouse by 180 degrees. It is still slow but at least something. Make sure to keep moving backwards, though. As if one is driving a car backwards and suddenly pulls the hand brake and turns the steering wheel around for 180 degrees, in order to drive forwards.

• demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    silverlead wrote: »
    Also while blocking it wont let me face quickly an other directions. Most times I have to let go of the block.shift key to turn around or rotate to face an enemy so rogues can often easily get behind me and 2-shot me for big damage. Anyone have a fix for this?

What level are you?

An easy way to stay facing a target is to type this
    /bind mouseplus autotargetlock 1
    /bind mouseminus autotargetlock 0

Now roll your mouse wheel up when targeting your enemy and you will keep target lock.
    To end target lock roll the mouse wheel down.

Let me know if this helps.. Good luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    edited June 2014

What level are you?

Now roll your mouse wheel up when targeting your enemy and you will keep target lock.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    edited June 2014
    Ahhh good tip. I will try that! thanks!
    edited June 2014
    Oh another great tip! Awesome I will try this! Thanks!
    edited June 2014
    Oh an I am level 26 at the moment.

Dwarf Viking Tank! Dragon Meat! =)

*ROAR!
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As a GF, you sacrifice access to your encounter, normal at-will, and other powers while blocking. In exchange, you get total immunity to damage (as long as you have guard meter left) and near immunity to control effects. Knowing when to block and when to reposition are key.

Learn to make use of the secondary attack while blocking - you can tap the shield slam to quickly rebuild your block meter - best used between an enemy's heavy attacks. The primary attack that you can use while blocking has a small column where it'll damage all enemies - so stacking enemies can help you to quickly take out groups of weaker enemies.

Be sure to make use of your pron attacks as well - they can buy you those crucial few seconds to chug a potion or rebuild your block meter.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited June 2014
    Well drats. Nope the /bind mouseplus autotargetlock 1 and using the scroll wheel did not work for me. When I use those commands I noticed I also did not get any feedback in chat telling me it was set or anything.

I'm also wondering from the pvp matches I noticed I am always low on the rank of points. Are points awarded for damage and deaths? Like in WoW? So like being a tank or healer you don't get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for taking damage or holding a node the longest or healing? If this is the case it's a shame, we have tons of games with this horrible mechanic already so I wonder why NW and the trion girls went with this broken mechanic... But if it's not the case then how are points racked up?
    edited June 2014
    I don't think this works in PvP tho. Mages can bypass my shield block and choke the hell out of me (I think it's mages doing this. Its some caster class) and their range spells do damage even if I have my shield power up. Same with the hunters, some of their attacks get through. I'm not sure about rogues but they always just teleport behind me and rock me.
    edited June 2014
    Demon, do I have to do this every time I log in? Should I get some sort of confirmation that it's been set?
    edited June 2014
    What level are you?

Demon, do I have to do this every time I log in? Should I get some sort of confirmation that it's been set?
    edited June 2014
    What level are you?

You wouldn't happen to know if there's a way to turn block into a toggle, do you?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited June 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to know if there's a way to turn block into a toggle, do you?

What do you mean? Does it not toggle when you push the SHIFT button and then untoggle when you let go?

So I guess from doing a bit of searching Tanks just really are not viable in pvp huh? Kinda like all other MMOs. A shame... From reading all the complaints about classes in pvp on various sites you really need to be either a rogue or great weapons fighter it seems to be able to have fun and be useful in pvp...
    edited June 2014
    Once you type it in.. the binds will remain for your character forever until you reset the keybindings.
    If you make a new character you will need to rebind just once for it.

About toggles.. yes you can make toggles for everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For a game that claims to be "action combat", NW is very much against any action during combat. You rarely get anything to work on the first push of the button, especially when you combine casting powers with any kind of moving/dodging/blocking.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
    edited June 2014
    What do you mean? Does it not toggle when you push the SHIFT button and then untoggle when you let go?

So I guess from doing a bit of searching Tanks just really are not viable in pvp huh? Kinda like all other MMOs. A shame... From reading all the complaints about classes in pvp on various sites you really need to be either a rogue or great weapons fighter it seems to be able to have fun and be useful in pvp...

A toggle would be "tap shift to bring up block" then "tap again to stop blocking". Right now, it would better fit the description of a "maintain" power, inasmuch as the block is only maintained as long as you keep holding down shift.