test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP - Do you think Constesting Nodes ruins PVP?

ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
Not intended to cause flame wars, just a discussion with hopefully some good thought - enough to perhaps catch a DEVs "Eye" (wink wink).

I have thought about this alot and everyone I personally have talked to about this thinks something like this would be a good idea... It would be interested to see what type of feedback comes up here.

So currently the Domination PVP META is surrounded with "which class is the best as contesting or 1v1ing on a node" the game does rely on teamwork alot but I would say much much more important ends up being which class makeup you have. I think we all agree on this.

A LARGE part of why PVP is the way it is is from contesting nodes: hear me out on this.

Take the extreme - if contesting were completely removed, you wouldnt even have a strategy of sending a perma or GWF or HR to "contest" the node. It would require teamwork to clear nodes and hold them. Think of how fast matches would go - I know I have had some 2hr+ games and while it was fun, 2 hours is much too long...

Well, I have mixed feelings about removing contesting altogether HOWEVER I do think SOME version can be adapted.

I think it would add ALOT to the game if a contested node STILL ticked points for the capture-team however it was reduced significantly. So currently its 1 point a second thats not contested, then zero if contested. What about 1 point every 2 or 3 seconds?

Think of the change in dynamic. Instead of contesting/node holding being the "end all be all" of pvp its not more a "band-aid" and more of a temporary fix. Would it still happen in every game all the time? Sure! because your slowing down the points the enemy team is getting, but NOW a major focus would surround teamwork and having the support of your team to clear nodes.

I think the biggest change this would bring is the dynamic of pvp changes and games would be much more fast paced, require better communication/teamwork and each "encounter" in pvp would be more meaningful knowing you cant just rely on a survivor to contest the point while you re-spawn.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Modifications?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've always thought this is something that should be done.

It's been my belief that one of the reason Neverwinter has a nonexistant competitive scene, aside from the amount of irl cash needed, is because people don't want to sit in a hour and a half long match, every match. Well, I can think of at least 2 people that like it off the top of my head, but I think I make my point.
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You can change the dynamitc by altering timers etc but it basicly be the same, some changes of class set up might be the result but not much else.

From my experiance in other games i would like see different types of maps like capture the flagg, where you are forced to take one flagg from the opponents base to your own while defending you own flagg as it must be on your base when you score with their flagg.

2-3 players where most kills counts as victory in differnt types of maps where terrain playes a part.

There is tons of good examples of pvp maps that can challange players on different kinds of levels and am sure whish ones would be most popular toward pugs and premades will show in a short time.

Best
  • pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A DeathMatch game mode would be amazing...

Inb4 people tell me to go to IWD open world:

1) It's dead

2) Companion active bonuses (Hi cockatrice)

3) It's dead

4) it's dead

5) It's dead

So having a Deathmatch Domination and a few more maps wouldn't hurt at all. I would actually play it everyday frequently.
  • gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    edit: i didnt read the post first well
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    edit. well i agree lol. seems interesting idea.
    we should have deathmatch too, and other modes.
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Frutumal deals 16320 (21238) Physical Damage to you with Lashing Blade.

TR is what ruins pvp
  • pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »

TR is what ruins pvp

Oh yeah, TR totally ruins PVP. GWF and Pathfinders are perfectly fine in domination. TR needs some more nerfs to be balanced with other classes. How about making us run around naked using nothing but toothpicks? I think that'll make them on par with other classes.
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would love to not be stuck in these long drawn out matches cause we can stop points from being earned completely.

If you have capped a point you gain points until it is capped by the other team effectively removing these long matches making pvp a less time consuming event. Who wants to sit through one game of pvp for 30 mins plus? Also when its 1v1 the other person does not need 2 people to start capping unless its a 2v1 where it cannot be capped until another team member comes. So 1v1 is not so grinding as much.

With this games can only go so long and gives people a more sure match time which means you are fighting against the clock instead of trying to prolong it. This would make matches more of a fast experience than these drawn out ones that the top end deals with which makes some not want to do another match.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Just tick 1 point per second for BOTH teams on a contested node, and you have much more spice + match speed
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    What I would really like is if all of your suggestions about PVP weren't aimed squarely at TRs and HRs, the only competition for your GWF.
    A honest suggestion would be leave the current PVP mode how it is, but try to introduce a new mode like flag capture, death-count, etc. So many things can be done, it doesn't even need to be balanced or well thought out, I just want something NEW.

Yeah this game is dying for a new game mode.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just tick 1 point per second for BOTH teams on a contested node, and you have much more spice + match speed

And originally this is how I thought Domination should be. I still think it's a good option.
  • kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think Domination is just fine the way it is.

What we need is 10v10.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »

TR is what ruins pvp

TRs aren't the only ones who can hit that hard.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I definitely dislike current PvP.

IMHO, PvP needs 3 very different things.

1. LARGE scale map
    • Multiple siegeable/defensible fortifications
    • At least 20v20 or more
    • Long event scoring -- like an entire week, or even month
    • Actual siege/fortification weapons
    2. Arenas
    • 1v1
    • 2v2
    • 4v4
    • 5v5
    • Several small arena map choices
    3. Capture the flag
    • "Moderate" to large map (more than IWD, less than GG)
    • balanced routes/chokepoints/highground/hiding places
    • Couple of maps
    • Perhaps activatable attack ("heroes," giants, dragons?) or defensive bonuses
  • biibiisaibiibiisai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In an extreme situation, the battle may come down to who captures the point first. If the winning team keeps the node occupied, the losing team will have even a lower chance to win.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dont knoe. You can remove the contesting, you can chance dinamics but the aswer will always be gwf.
  • elgorrelgorr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    No contesting = No TRs & HRs ---> even more GWFs
    Plus, experienced PvPers will stop doing solo q, because they can't carry their teams by contesting a node with 1vsX fights.

As for long game, just make some changes, like double score mode after 30mins and/or time limit in 45mins(GG has it 20mins right?).

As for other game modes, yeah CTF sounds cool but it will need alot of tweaks like Unstoppable and Stealth drops flag. I don't think Devs have resources to do that ATM. TDM? with current class balance? No thank you.

Anyway, class balancing is first, then we should talk about others.
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just don't think Thornward should last so long or do as much damage its a killer to stand in, and I also think Stealth players should have to be out of stealth to cap a node. You should not be able to run around a node invisible and capture it, there needs to be a trade off.

Sure you can get their without people seeing you fast, but you must be visible to cap it!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just don't think Thornward should last so long or do as much damage its a killer to stand in, and I also think Stealth players should have to be out of stealth to cap a node. You should not be able to run around a node invisible and capture it, there needs to be a trade off.

Sure you can get their without people seeing you fast, but you must be visible to cap it!
    There are already other threads available for QQing about TRs and Hrs.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    There are already other threads available for QQing about TRs and Hrs.

Not as many threads QQing about GWFs.

Maybe they are just trying to even it out
  • maroucatmaroucat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd love to see points reworked for Domination, so you earn them when contesting a node only, and that's it. I'd also love to see some more PvP game modes. Like a rush (think the ship on SWTOR), or even CTF like Warsong Gulch.

The current class balance is broken enough to render those things unlikely though. With a base rush and CTF mode we'd go from 4-5 GWF's in a 10 man match to 7-8.
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yea that seems good because having no one getting a single point for atleast 10 minutes sometimes is kinda boring and stupid, it would give people more of a reason to actually try and cap the base rather then just sit on it fighting someone for days
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    maroucat wrote: »
    I'd also love to see some more PvP game modes. Like a rush (think the ship on SWTOR), or even CTF like Warsong Gulch.

Clearly, more pvp modes would help. King of the hill, catch the flag, 1v1, 2v2, with minions, with resource farming and turrets building...
    Possibilities are endless, devs you just have to see what your colleagues from the other MMOs are capable of.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lucifron44 wrote: »
    Clearly, more pvp modes would help. King of the hill, catch the flag, 1v1, 2v2, with minions, with resource farming and turrets building...
    Possibilities are endless, devs you just have to see what your colleagues from the other MMOs are capable of.

Well in all fairness they did just release a new PVP mode, with technically 2 new maps.

I feel they are apprehensive to release new modes because if they are not popular then they go unused. If they are popular, they tend to make the old one unpopular so then that goes unused. (Champions Online being a good Cryptic made reference for this).

Hopefully they will keep giving us new modes to try though! :D
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Well in all fairness they did just release a new PVP mode, with technically 2 new maps.

I feel they are apprehensive to release new modes because if they are not popular then they go unused. If they are popular, they tend to make the old one unpopular so then that goes unused. (Champions Online being a good Cryptic made reference for this).

Hopefully they will keep giving us new modes to try though! :D

I would've preferred they released those two maps as new Dom instanced maps.

I think the layout on them is fantastic and offers all kinds of opportunities for new playstyles, but unfortunately they're going to waste since it's almost impossible to get a decently organized match going.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Contesting really needs to go...

Played a gmae yesterday it after 1 hour 15 minutes it was around 350-200. The opposing team gave up not wanting to play a 4 hour game.

WHY?

Because their perma TR contested our node the entire time... His score was literally 0 kills 0 deaths 0 assists the entire 1 hr 15 minutes.

For the other two nodes, it was a matter of proper rotations to kill/clear and tick about 5 points before re-spawn and repeat.

Contesting NEEDS to be changed to still tick for the team that has capped the node, however it ticks for a reduced amount. I think 1 point every 3 seconds rather than 1 point every second is fair. So contesting STILL plays a roll, but its not as effective as before. Contesting is still a way to help win as it lessens the points the opposing team gets, however these LONG games so literally so boring and frustrating, its ruining PVP.
  • goldroger007goldroger007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    some modes would be awesome but they must be solo que or premades will ruin them
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Capture the flag would make perfect sense here with GWFs/TRs/HRs zooming around the map, making every other class pointless...
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    people with the flag shouldn't be able to use abilities, they should be guarded by the rest of the team, or try to not be seen with the flag.
    2e2qwj6.jpg