test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leaderboard Issue

froszztfroszzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
There are many people that find this stupid so I will go ahead and submit this thread regarding the issue.

Problem is that if you win a match against lower ranked players you will lose rank yourself.

IMO, you should never lose rank from a win. It makes no sense since you have no control over the matchmaking.

There is little point to having a leaderboard when it works like this. It discourages people from actually playing since if they win they lose rank and if they lose they lose a crapload of rank.

I have never even heard of a game with leaderboard that sends you down with a win. Of course if you lose against lower ranked it is logical that you will lose more rank than you would gain from winning the same game. But this lose-lose situation is silly.
Post edited by froszzt on

Comments

• angusx1angusx1 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree totally, ive played many games with leaderboard and this one is not working properly at all. You cant go down by winning thats bull****.
    The King
  • gosmaticgosmatic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree, the leaderbord doesn't seem functional or logical. Do a simple ladder system, such an easy algorythm...
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    the leaderboard is working as intended.

here is the official explanation:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?682991-Scoreboard-Rankings&p=8127521#post8127521

and the quote:
    Hey guys, I wanted to hop in and address some of the matchmaking questions that have been cropping up recently. I can't really get into the proprietary math we are using to *do* the matchmaking, but I will talk about a handful of the factors that surround how we do the matchmaking.

1. Why do matches sometimes seem so lopsided?
    This is a hard question to answer, for several reasons. There are a lot of factors that determine match quality, and the system attempts to weigh all of them and give you the best possible match without waiting forever, which causes you to sometimes be placed in a suboptimal match rather than waiting indefinitely for a perfect match. We have several dials we can turn up and down to attempt to adjust matchmaking, but all of these things carry some degree of risk when we adjust them so we try to tune them little by litte. However we are watching matchmaking quality and are actively trying to weigh that against how long it takes to get and play a match.

2. Why do I sometimes drop on the leaderboard after winning a match?
    This one is actually a matter of how frequently the leaderboard is updated. Our leaderboard UI cannot update constantly, so when you leave a match you see it update again. While it is theoretically possible in the math for your rating to go down when you win, it is *incredibly* unlikely. Most often what is really happening is that while you rise a bit from winning a match, other people have risen as well when you are in that match which makes it appear that you fell in the rankings.

3. Why don't you calculate for Gear Score when doing matchmaking?
    We looked into it, but the data we have shows that Gear Score isn't a valid metric for matchmaking in our PvP. We have kept track of the average Gear Score of players at various matchmaking tiers and it turns out the difference between the top 10% players and the players in the 50th percentile is less than 2%. Also interestingly, the players with the highest numerical Gear Scores tend to fall close to the middle of the rankings. We have discussed doing some kind of adjustment for a player with no matchmaking history based on their Gear Score, but it would no longer matter after the first handful of matches that were played.

I hope this answers some of the questions surrounding PVP matchmaking.

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
This discussion has been closed.