test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A fast and dirty fix to friend spamming.

query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Could we have a 'ignore' option of friend requests? The spam has become a real problem. As things are we get ahift1 accept, shift2 deny, and shift3 wait. Just put in shift4 ignore and we can cull the spammers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have noticed this too. It would be a real boon (pun intended). Seems I get friend requests from spammers every day.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So far I've been good at catching them. shift-2 to deny and then go to the chat window and right-click > ignore. I single key combo would be very nice though.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This already exists:

1) Press the "O" key.
    2) in lower right, tap PREFERENCES
    3) in 'Search Visibility' set it to VISIBLE TO FRIENDS ONLY

4) Enjoy a spam-free experience hence forth.
    5) You're welcome.

:)
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does that setting affect how you appear on the guild roster?
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As far as i remember it will block party invites, including from guild members. Remember trying this and it wasn't working out.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This already exists:

1) Press the "O" key.
    2) in lower right, tap PREFERENCES
    3) in 'Search Visibility' set it to VISIBLE TO FRIENDS ONLY

4) Enjoy a spam-free experience hence forth.
    5) You're welcome.

:)

This does work--if you don't ever want party invites ;)
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This does work--if you don't ever want party invites ;)

Indeed. It's a trade-off because they both use the same system. Party Invites can happen if someone clicks on your character, but not through search unless they are in your friends list.

Dayamd of you don't and Dayamd if you do. Life's a beeotch. :)
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ignoring them won't help. I'd assume each account would be banned and they just remake accounts.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Pretty much. At one point the feeling was that they'd keep an account around just long enough to get reported sufficiently for a ban and then cycle in another one, typically three to five spam announcements or so if people are actively reporting. Not even a site ban works because they routinely hide behind VPNs.
  • Options
    literaryaceliteraryace Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So far I've not been spammed mercilessly (yet), but my guildmate was, to the point of rejecting all of my party requests earlier.

But I'm curious, how do these gold sellers find us in Icewind Dale? Do they seriously spend that much time to get a character there, only to get it reported and booted? How in heaven's name are they finding us in the first place to spam us?
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know Cryptic is taking some extreme measures with them,

Whatever you do, also... DO NOT REPEAT in game anything you get spammed with... The system will auto-ban you for even telling anyone what you get spammed with.

SO if you get spammed like that, whatever you do, do not repeat it in game to anyone, either in chat or private messages.

Seriously I've had a friend that happened to. All they did was repeat what they got spammed with and bingo... the system auto banned the account.

Just a word of caution, It can be worked out through the CS line, but your account will likely get auto banned at least temporarily.