test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

useful info on crit

malphaeousmalphaeous Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 88
edited June 2014 in The Thieves' Den
I am only posting this because I haven't seen anyone else cover this aspect of crit. There IS a hard cap on crit, and when you hit it you don't only stop building crit you start going backwards. its around 52% not sure what the exact number on the actual crit score is, when I was @ 52% I wound up adding a piece of gear with higher crit on it and started dropping. I know that @ 3352 I'm @ 50%, and I have been over 4k and under 49%. before you start flaming me check it yourself. By going too high on your crit you seem to actually nerf yourself. I've had to drop a lot of crit gear to get mine back to a reasonable amount. If anyone has any more info on this please let me know, does this effect bring your crit back up when fighting an opponent with high crit resistance? or is the stat truly wasted?
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Did I mention, I do not have good intentions?
Post edited by malphaeous on

Comments

• Options
    f2pmaf2pma Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    for pvp everything after 1500 is luxury and after 2k is serious waste
    crit is worst stat for tr to stack even defence makes more sence
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I dont PvP a lot
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Did I mention, I do not have good intentions?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    then 48-49% is nice place to stop stacking
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    when I started going backwards I had not a single crit gem. but that wasn't the question, it is well established that a PvE rogue should get to 50% crit and around 24% ArP and then stack power and reco.
    the question was ( because it is entirely possible to get around 4500 crit without gems) if you go beyond the point where crit begins falling off does this bring your crit back up on a boss mob who has high crit resistance? or is it all truly wasted.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    crit resistance has nothing to do with crit chance.
    and tr doeasnt need 50% crit,str is more important
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    funny that you disagree with all of the PVE builds out there on that but, im assuming from your earlier comment that you are a PvP rogue so that would make sense, STR is not ( that I have found) available on gear if you have found Str gear please let me know what it is because that would indeed be truly useful. perhaps I used the wrong stat, you are right crit resistance decreases crit severity, however there is something that decreases the likelihood of landing a crit on a boss mob. that aside before you confuse PvE rogues, you stack crit to around 50% (3200) and Ar Pen to around 24% (1800) those are the soft caps ( where it becomes more costly to improve than it is worth) the hard cap would be where I mentioned crit beginning to drop. after reaching those 2 soft caps you stack Power and reco, as far as I know there is no cap on power... with a PvE executioner build this is the way to go., its a straight up boss killing setup
    if you use Baelnorns ( Spelling?) exec build ( or some variation on it) and these stats your ST DPS is obscene.

hopefully we can now return to the topic and someone can actually answer the question rather than argue for the sake of argument...
  • Options
    drogethxundussendrogethxundussen Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I do not think going past the cap is worth it. I am personally not aware of anything that an enemy has which reduces "chance" of criticals, but even then, I would still not recommend it for general-purpose.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    didnt think so but I know someone who has passed the hard cap and has no gems has even shed most of their non set crit gear was just wondering if it did anything for them at all... as far as boss mobs lowering your chance to crit im not sure about NWO but other games I have played had that feature, it usually had to do with armor rating not only lowering base dmg but crit chance as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    malphaeous wrote: »
    didnt think so but I know someone who has passed the hard cap and has no gems has even shed most of their non set crit gear was just wondering if it did anything for them at all... as far as boss mobs lowering your chance to crit im not sure about NWO but other games I have played had that feature, it usually had to do with armor rating not only lowering base dmg but crit chance as well.

boss lowering your crit? were u heard that u just make random stuff or what.then make a build around made up things.
    im just saying what makes more dmg coz u dont have a clue what you are doing.if u had u would know 5%crit makes no big difference
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    first of all no one was even discussing builds, you clearly missed the point of this entire thing...second even 1% crit is huge because that means one out of every hundred attacks 1 is a crit with 50% crit one in 2 attacks is a crit as often as we attack with things like DF it gets pretty big. you are clearly becoming more hostile as this post goes on im sorry that I dont just agree with everything you say but this is no place for your hostility. don't troll me, when clearly you didnt understand the question, or you only read part of it, it might even be me maybe I didnt explain myself clearly. in most games it is a function of armor, its not that they actually lower your crit like a debuff, more like your crit rating is different on trash than bosses and your crit percentage is displayed for equal level trash, in some games it is a function of level difference IE. WoW where bosses are all at least 10 levels higher than cap in end game dungeons. Theory crafting in this game is highly lacking in comparison to other games I have played so im not sure how this works here ( Maybe I didnt make that clear earlier). the fact is that 1% is HUGE when you play a toon that attacks extremely fast, with DF you pretty much fill the screen with numbers and if half of those are crits it will be a huge increase on damage.have you ever payed interest on a loan? APR means Anual Percentage rate, and every fraction of a percent makes a HUGE difference in both your payoff and your monthly payment, I know its not the same thing but the math IS the same, and it is simple math. with a base crit severity of +75% ( this means you do 75% more damage than a non crit attack would have done, % crit is a big deal. power does not suffer diminishing returns so it is unlimited but the gains per point of power are less than the gains per point of crit ( until you reach the soft cap)
    if you want to discuss builds im an exec build with 5058 power, 3660 ( 49.7%) crit, 2431 (23.4%) arpen, 1489 rec, 654 CA Bonus, 2012 deflect, and 1997 (12.5%) life steal. I took nothing that didnt increase my dmg for feats unless it was needed to move down the chain and I do out DPS CWs regularly. there is not a boss in this game I have not tanked.
    I am sure that based on your previous comments that you are more skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable than me on the subjects of math, PVE builds Play style and and gear. so you should probably stop wasting your time trying to educate someone as ignorant as me.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    first of all no one was even discussing builds, you clearly missed the point of this entire thing...second even 1% crit is huge because that means one out of every hundred attacks 1 is a crit with 50% crit one in 2 attacks is a crit as often as we attack with things like DF it gets pretty big. you are clearly becoming more hostile as this post goes on im sorry that I dont just agree with everything you say but this is no place for your hostility. don't troll me, when clearly you didnt understand the question, or you only read part of it, it might even be me maybe I didnt explain myself clearly. in most games it is a function of armor, its not that they actually lower your crit like a debuff, more like your crit rating is different on trash than bosses and your crit percentage is displayed for equal level trash, in some games it is a function of level difference IE. WoW where bosses are all at least 10 levels higher than cap in end game dungeons. Theory crafting in this game is highly lacking in comparison to other games I have played so im not sure how this works here ( Maybe I didnt make that clear earlier). the fact is that 1% is HUGE when you play a toon that attacks extremely fast, with DF you pretty much fill the screen with numbers and if half of those are crits it will be a huge increase on damage.have you ever payed interest on a loan? APR means Anual Percentage rate, and every fraction of a percent makes a HUGE difference in both your payoff and your monthly payment, I know its not the same thing but the math IS the same, and it is simple math. with a base crit severity of +75% ( this means you do 75% more damage than a non crit attack would have done, % crit is a big deal. power does not suffer diminishing returns so it is unlimited but the gains per point of power are less than the gains per point of crit ( until you reach the soft cap)
    if you want to discuss builds im an exec build with 5058 power, 3660 ( 49.7%) crit, 2431 (23.4%) arpen, 1489 rec, 654 CA Bonus, 2012 deflect, and 1997 (12.5%) life steal. I took nothing that didnt increase my dmg for feats unless it was needed to move down the chain and I do out DPS CWs regularly. there is not a boss in this game I have not tanked.
    I am sure that based on your previous comments that you are more skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable than me on the subjects of math, PVE builds Play style and and gear. so you should probably stop wasting your time trying to educate someone as ignorant as me.

last pve tr guide was 8 months ago.http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?505921-Trickster-Rogue-PvE-Executioner-Build
    no one bothers with dead pve class except you.
    so go theory craft something that makes 100k more dmg per dungeon so your anual dmg gets better lol
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    morenthar wrote: »
    People like you crack me up. Black and white. It's either the best or it's irrelevant. You sound like an entitled rich SOB. You are so blind to your own lack of perspective that you believe everything you think is everything that should be.

The truth is you are so obsessed with having apex builds that you miss the rest of the game. You don't experiment with other builds because you lack the creativity entirely. You bash anyone trying to think out of the box to find a different way.

So just keep copying every build you see you deem "The Best" and keep having fun your way. We are all laughing at you.

seriously if it wasnt for kweassa and guys like you trs would get a pve,pvp combat,wk buff long time ago.
    good players or atleast normal people do teory crafting,then they test and if its any good they post it as finished result
    you people skipp all the parts and just post some ideas which u didnt even bother to test before.later it
    turnes out it doesnt work BUT U DO SAME THING AGAIN lol post some more ideas.and that is going on for months now.
    but you do that for a reason.if u have fotm build and lose that hurts u so much so u rather play some wacky non viable build for excuse.

its the skill that matters and u cant show skill if the build is not viable..i dont want to lose coz my build is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> only when enemy is better.
    its abouth the skill not build. you cant copy skill.so when i come across another fotm tr then the fun starts.
    oh and my build is original 24str perma dwarf.
  • Options
    rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    f2pma wrote: »
    seriously if it wasnt for kweassa and guys like you trs would get a pve,pvp combat,wk buff long time ago.
    good players or atleast normal people do teory crafting,then they test and if its any good they post it as finished result
    you people skipp all the parts and just post some ideas which u didnt even bother to test before.later it
    turnes out it doesnt work BUT U DO SAME THING AGAIN lol post some more ideas.and that is going on for months now.
    but you do that for a reason.if u have fotm build and lose that hurts u so much so u rather play some wacky non viable build for excuse.

its the skill that matters and u cant show skill if the build is not viable..i dont want to lose coz my build is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> only when enemy is better.
    its abouth the skill not build. you cant copy skill.so when i come across another fotm tr then the fun starts.

Excuse the would-be 40k hp WK with a crazy build still kicking *** in Domination. But don't get any funky ideas just yet while this turkey is still in the oven. Coz like he said, I'm not posting any builds until it's tested and ready for public consumption.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rustlord wrote: »
    Excuse the would-be 40k hp WK with a crazy build still kicking *** in Domination. But don't get any funky ideas just yet while this turkey is still in the oven. Coz like he said, I'm not posting any builds until it's tested and ready for public consumption.

thats cool i know its realy hard to teory craft with tr coz he doesnt have any dmg potential and all goes on survival and dot.
    i dont mind different build infact cant wait for one. even better if its wk.
    my rank 6,7 were enough to get to page 2 solo q i realy hope your build is better.

im just saying there is same old build last 10 months that is viable nothing else came even close.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    in all honesty PvE is not dead PVE rogues dont post because they get flamed by people with poor math skills and low self esteem who have problems understanding simple concepts like percentages. the fact is that our ST DPS is king and given a group who knows how and is willing to sacrifice meter positioning for the sake of getting the dungeon down faster a TR can still take top Paingiver. I know that you wont find this in PuGs but if you can get your CWS to use AS and your GWFs to use CGI your DPS increases dramatically. as far as ST which is our real function you can tell ( Even without the meters ) by the fact that the boss never turns from you to attack anyone else ( unless you have a good GF who knows how to generate threat) that you are topping the ST DPS. Damage is the only way we have to generate threat while GFs and GWFs have high threat low damage maneuvers to generate threat and hold the mob. I have yet to have a GWF in a group who could tank for me. and if I can hold the bosses attention without combat advantage and sacrificing some attacks to dodge its obvious that im topping STDPS with a GF I do even more dmg because I have to dodge less and can maintain Combat advantage. I didn't post a build because I don't need to, most viable PVE builds have already been posted and most center on getting a high enough crit rating and enough ArPen I posted what I posted to inform TRS building with high crit what reaching the hard cap does to them, the question was only to find out if there was any ( No matter how insignificant) advantage to surpassing the hard cap this is NOT a PVP post. so those of you who don't play PvE rogues really have no business here other than to gain information for the possibility of playing one in the future. if you don't understand the concepts required to play PvE then don't flame. this makes you a troll and a ****** F2pma right from the beginning you started by flaming and you clearly didn't understand what I was trying to say. im sorry if I wasn't clear enough in OP but you are clearly out of your element here in the realm of PvE. There are still good PvE rogues out there they just keep quiet for the most part, which is a shame because you wind up pigeonholing the class into a pure PvE role and new players who want to PvE will avoid our class altogether, with dwindling numbers of PvE TRs we lose a large part of our voice as a whole.
    when nerfs to PvP TRs effect our role in PvE if enough people speak up the devs might not hit us with the nerf bat, or at least they might soften the blow, which is good for PvP TRs as well so rather than discourage the PvE aspect of the class perhaps you should stand aside and let us do our thing, and just maybe new players will choose this class for PvE and strengthen our voice as a whole.
    in the interest of this I will post my complete build ,and the math and reasoning behind what all I have spent points to and even the mistakes I believe I made both first time around and currently. you can troll and flame me if you like but it doesn't help our class if you see mistakes that i have made and not pointed out feel free to point them out but be constructive. this post will be up this weekend, as I said earlier most vaible builds have already been posted and this is nothing but a variation on one of them. weather you PvE or PvP this is a fun class to play, so don't discourage new ideas in either aspect of the game, if you do you weaken our class which is foolish.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    in all honesty PvE is not dead

nah its dead for most trs
    point of the pve is to make some ad fast,easy not wait 40 min in lfg channel
  • Options
    xira4xira4 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For PvP, crit above 2000 really is a total waste of stat.

For PvE, power > crit after crit reaches ~2000 (it depends on the crit chance and enchantment you use + I'm too lazy to do the calculation), power has been reworked and it's a much better stat now.

Also, STR > DEX because 1% dmg > 1% crit
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    f2pma wrote: »

You seem to have this wierd concept of "theorycrafting in forums" where everything should be sliced, diced,cooked, prepared and served prettily in a dish upon your table, so you can immediately stick a fork, grab a bite, and enjoy everything laid out before you. Except.. that's not theorycrafting. That's just consuming the end-product like every other person with a copy/paste build does.

This is the forums. We dish out ideas, exchange thoughts, try to think of new concepts and possibilities. Most of those we try to confirm ourselves, but a lot of those we need testing and cooperation with people with an open-mind. How many of our ideas and thoughts have you actually tested out yourself before just branding it "not viable"?

I respect the skeptics just as any other person since I figure it is just another kind of opinion. But when it borders on these levels then that's not just skpeticism. That's an inquisition.

I still remember the very early days I started appearing here. I remember this "criticism" very vividly.

I'm not sure who it was from, but probably slushpsycho.. and it was along these lines;
    People like you come up with these half-baked builds that will never work against real premades, and instead of acknowledging it as something being dead and useless you give false hope. If it were not for people like you, players won't waste any time on something useless and they would spend more time in becoming a better player with the right builds, so us premade level people will actually have more people to play with.

Your tone runs dangerously close to this... and all I gotta say is.. LOL.... Dude, really?

We're all people who enjoy playing a game here. We're interested in new stuff and some new ideas.. and just what it is that makes people like you feel so threatened by it.. I really cannot understand. In all probability most of our ideas and suggestions are attempts to rememdy an already existing disadvantage between builds/paragon paths anyway. Like you said, in the very high competitive level most of our ideas probably will not work, or at least not as well as expected.. your "viable builds" will probably be the winners still... so just what exactly is the problem? :D

Was there some Central Dogma like the Catholics have in these forums? Was there an Inquisition going on? Did us 'infidels' threaten some kind of "TR Spirituality and Faith in MI Builds" or something? LOL;;; This is so awesomely wierd. Why do people act like this?

But that's how ideas are born in the first place. It starts from brainstorming from various sources with a variety of interests. Ideas don't come from brain-washed totalitarian environment where everyone follows one code of existence.

Everything begins from something small, people joke and kid about it until someone actually tries it. That's creativity. And even if you may not agree with it, it is another important process of fun in PvP. Coming up with new ideas and solutions, whether it is viable or not.

When you were a child and you played with LEGO™ blocks, did you always have an architectural plan to come up with a fully functioning structure of whatever you deem worthy to build? That's not how creativity and ideas work. In most cases people make it up as they go along. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. There is nothing wrong or strange with this process and there is also nothing strange about people having fun with it.

For some reason, you hate the fact "people like me" are having fun with this process. That's too bad. Sorry for your troubled childhood or whatever reason that makes you want to scorn and ridicule people goofing around with ideas about a video game -- LOL. Do lighten up, will ya! :O

its the skill that matters and u cant show skill if the build is not viable..i dont want to lose coz my build is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> only when enemy is better. its abouth the skill not build. you cant copy skill.so when i come across another fotm tr then the fun starts.

It's the fun that matters. You don't need skill to have fun.

Ofcourse, being inherently competitive in its nature, PvP does require you to win to maximize your fun in many cases. But what about the losers? What about the people that suck? What about the all sorts of players who would probably never become good enough to compete with premade level players?

Why do all those PuGs or casual players that your kind of people ridicule, make fun of, detest, despise, and deem absolutely worthless, stick around to play this game's PvP? Under your logic, since these "bads" have "no skill", they are worthless. They don't matter. So they shouldn't be playing.

So, who are you going to beat up when all of the 'bads' quit? Play the same premade matches with the same premade groups over and over and over again? You know what, if we go into these lines of logic, how about you? When there are only premade players left, are you good enough to survive and remain in the "final five" of the team? Are you the strongest and the best in your own guild? Do you not relatively suck when compared to the best of your own guild? In that case, you lack skill. Maybe you should quit as well, no?

...but of course, all of these sucky, n00by, PuG, clueless people play and enjoy PvP. They are always more numerous than premades will ever be, and they will always never give a shi* about some party-pooper yammering about "that will never work in premades!". (Actually, they'll probably never give a shi* about us theorycrafters as well, LOL!) ... but its all cool.

The world is a lot bigger than how the elitists see it.

Ofcourse, the elitist guys always sign off, pretending to keep their cool and say, "If that's fun for you, well then good luck.."... but the really funny thing is, they always come back. Didn't they just wish us "non-viable wastes" good luck and leave? LOL. But then, in a new thread, new topic with new ideas, they come back again and start pooping all over again.

Why do they do that??! Fascinating as always :o

"...Then its not viable in PvP. According to some very best TR players, if you want it to work then you have to build-up straight from the stats. Your stats are something that would never work in real premade-level PvP. Even the class is wrong..."

Heh heh heh. Joke, dude.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Did us 'infidels' threaten some kind of "TR Spirituality and Faith in MI Builds" or something?

I'ma quote you on this for as long as play this game. Score one for the good guys xD
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    As a follow up thought, I wouldn't so readily dismiss the value of a WK debuff spec in a premade as many others like to think. People did think the world was a disc once.

BnS SS <-- Allows for self-survival long enough to charge dailies; meanwhile
    Disheartening Strike <-- stick this to every enemy in sight to debuff them
    Smoke Bomb <-- exit out of stealth in the thickest of the fight, assisting your comrades
    Whirlwind of Blades <-- from average AoE damage to a well-timed one-shot critter
    +Vanguard's Banner <-- every two minutes or so

In a premade environment, my build performs a general assist/rescue role, with periodic AoE burst to kill off stragglers. The build works especially well in GG and OPvP, in the middle node in Domination, while still able to permastealth in the far node.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    i rather have fun fighting another class or same class spec then win easy.when pvorp tr comes even with best gear its not real challenge,not to mention wk .i let them take me to 50%hp before i start to fight lol.
    the thing that bothers me is every time someone mentiones buff to tr some trs jump like crazy and say its all good no need.
    no idea why is that coz its clear trs lack dmg in pvp or pve.

so go ahead theory all you want but why do u mind asking for buff.

and i must say i rather play against perma infact i cant wait to 1v1 so if i win i feel i done something lol.
    combat trs just run around with no stealth waiting to die. no fun for me.
    again they need a buff lb,deft dazing what ever just if they finaly land it that should mean something. i just walk of that lb like it never happened.
  • Options
    crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah. They are easy targets. Yeah that lb is laughable when someone hit me with it it's like not worth noticing. Well that's what happens when devs steal all dps from TR and gave GWF and HR. Also if those saboteurs on TR forum who sit here and troll any offers of changes which are necessary, and then go on other forum and cry for buff for op classes, won't be ignored, we won't have any essential buff. Also if community moderators or others from the company play op hr as i saw in one topic, in which indignant community moderator said it's not true that hr is op. Then why they won't have other devs who would play each class on pvp? Then we would see how they want to destroy perma stealth hahha. If they got killed by everyone as combat tr they would change mind xD
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I have impartial opinions whether to agree to a "buff" perhaps mostly because I have a maxed-out rogue and play in a Domination setting where teamwork can make or break my playstyle. If I were to play a lower-end spec TR, say 12k gs with normal enchants, then yes, there's definitely something there that needs tinkering.

I'd go on to suggest that the devs MUST roll back the TR offensive capabilities in time for the stealth nerf. The OP in the old-days rogue was undeniably related to our stealth. They have crippled us once. Now they mean to take our right arm off, might as well return us our left arm.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    srsly? I give up, what does any of this have to do with the OP? as was stated earlier this wasn't a PvP thread... buy hey ...its all yours.

why do we get nerfed? because someone who cant beat us cries, and we can't come together as a community and rebut their whining. we flame each other for having ideas, if anyone doesn't do it our way they are an idiot we hijack posts and completely change the topic so that no rational discussion happens, criticism is seldom constructive and we discourage an entire segment of game play within our ranks thereby keeping those who DO play and build their TRs for PVE silent on the forums, which as I stated earlier weakens our voice as a class even further.
    in short we ( as a community ) probably deserve every nerf that we have suffered, and we will most likely continue to deserve these nerfs...

GG TRs !!!